Georgetown GEMS 2017-2018

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

McDreamy2008

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Happy New Year everyone!
This thread is for everyone that will be applying to GEMS this cycle! Feel free to post throughout the application process, and keep us updated on your progress!

Members don't see this ad.

I heard they have the worst admissions in the business

Reactions: 9 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Terrible admissions office. Would not recommend

Reactions: 1 user
Great, there is finally a thread....I saw that the mcat minimum has changed when they updated the site this week, does anyone know if we should retake if we didn't hit 500 before? I was planning on retaking anyways, but I'm wondering how strict they are with minimum scores jic if I submit my application before retaking.

Great, there is finally a thread....I saw that the mcat minimum has changed when they updated the site this week, does anyone know if we should retake if we didn't hit 500 before? I was planning on retaking anyways, but I'm wondering how strict they are with minimum scores jic if I submit my application before retaking.
I actually didn't see the new MCAT until you said something...I'm not quite sure.

I've also heard about the terrible admissions office

Reactions: 1 users
Can confirm. Have also heard about the horrors of said admissions office

I heard that they treat their applicants like a number rather than a person and human being.

Reactions: 8 users
I'm applying! Application opened up yesterday. Good luck to everyone!
The webinars with Dean Taylor were helpful.

I'm applying! Application opened up yesterday. Good luck to everyone!
The webinars with Dean Taylor were helpful.

Best of luck. Consider writing your letter of intent now because that is the only way they accept anybody.

Members don't see this ad :)
Any former or current students care to take the time to reflect upon the program for those of us applying-
Fin aid?
Ability to get into med school?
How rigorous is the program?

I am applying as well. May I ask how you accessed the webinars?

I'm a new applicant, but I have a friend currently in the GEMS program and she loves it! Can I ask what specifically you guys don't like about it?

I'm a new applicant, but I have a friend currently in the GEMS program and she loves it! Can I ask what specifically you guys don't like about it?
Jalby has a special....erm.... realationship with Georgetown... I would advise you to look up his most popular thread.

There's a lot of reasons, it really boils down to how the Admissions faculty treats applicants..... spoiler alert, it's not good.

Jalby has a special....erm.... realationship with Georgetown... I would advise you to look up his most popular thread.

There's a lot of reasons, it really boils down to how the Admissions faculty treats applicants..... spoiler alert, it's not good.

Then again... they're probably just rumors cuz u DEFINITELY can't trust what you read on the internet right :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:? I forgot which admissions staff said that to its applicants ;)

Then again... they're probably just rumors cuz u DEFINITELY can't trust what you read on the internet right :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:? I forgot which admissions staff said that to its applicants ;)
Definitely no correlation between which schools SDN members dislike and which schools remind applicants the internet lies ;)

Okay...that went left very quickly.

Are there any tips for the application? Has anyone run into any problems/concerns so far? I know the app hasn't been open very long, but there may be issues we should all discuss while we still have the luxury of time on our side.

Does anyone know when we will be receiving interview invites?

I heard that they treat their applicants like a number rather than a person and human being.
Would you care to elaborate what that means? Or might it be an issue of sour grapes? So to all those who have successfully gone through the GEMS Program, should we believe that they have not been treated as human beings?

Does anyone know when we will be receiving interview invites?
It says on the website (in the FAQs) that they will be reviewing apps around march 20 and after....so I guess we can expect after that?

Has anyone submitted yet? I will probably do so in the next week or so. Some essays were longer than others. I've heard nothing but good things from GEMS students on these forums...so not sure why all the negativity is on this feed! Good luck to you all :)

Has anyone submitted yet? I will probably do so in the next week or so. Some essays were longer than others. I've heard nothing but good things from GEMS students on these forums...so not sure why all the negativity is on this feed! Good luck to you all :)
I think the negativity arises from folks who have a degree of entitlement. Short of calling them narccissits for I have read that this Program has been in existence for 40+ years. Can we therefore assume that in those 40+ years, all has been abyss? Not really! Does the GEMS Program admit students every year? It surely does. So the logic that the admissions is a mess, is surely an assumption, for how do those admitted students get in? I have faced my own issues during my academic life, and I have blamed anybody whom I can except myself, but when I make a thorough self evaluation, most often times it is me who screwed up. For instance, they'd ask for most current recommendation letters, I was busy submitting a letter from 2-4 years ago. A LOR from your science professor, here I am submitting a letter from a Lab. Tech or a History professor, or a Medical doctor I shadowed, thinking that it'd be more relevant. How does an MD know my cognitive abilities?

I attended one of the Webnairs, after e-mailing the Program all my questions about admissions, and yes, they were all answered. So, hopefully, I will be one of the lucky ones this year.

I'm not sure what's going on with all this hate in this thread. I can guarantee that this is an amazing program and prepares you well for not just medical school but how to act and behave in residency. It focuses not on just the academics but the non-cognitive skills that'll be needed throughout your career as a physician. With regards to the admission department I really think the complaints are overstated. I'll deal with any crappy admin department if they have a >50% acceptance rate to med school. That's all I'll say on the subject. For those actually interested in learning about the program feel free to PM me.

Did anyone submit his or her application?

I submitted my application a while back. Did anybody hear back from them for interviews? On the application information document, it says interview offers will be sent from "March 20, 2017 - April 21, 2017".

I'm planning on submitting soon, just waiting on some LORs to come thru....when did you guys get a complete?

I have my LOR submitted, but dont think I'll be submitting my app. Good luck to everyone who is applying to GEMS this cycle

I was waiting for my LORs which are finally in, so I'll be submitting within the next few days.

I'm just honestly not willing to take a year off and NOT get a degree. Drexel has the same program as Georgetown's GEMS, except: 1) The program is a Master's 2) it's an early assurance program and 3) you're pretty much guaranteed to matriculate as long as you don't fail, get above a 3.2, and score at least a 500 and 124/125 in all four sections. GEMS...? Not so much. Plus, if you do bad in this program you'd have wasted 30K+ AND not have gotten a degree. Not worth it IMO

Plus them essays lol

I'm just honestly not willing to take a year off and NOT get a degree. Drexel has the same program as Georgetown's GEMS, except: 1) The program is a Master's 2) it's an early assurance program and 3) you're pretty much guaranteed to matriculate as long as you don't fail, get above a 3.2, and score at least a 500 and 124/125 in all four sections. GEMS...? Not so much. Plus, if you do bad in this program you'd have wasted 30K+ AND not have gotten a degree. Not worth it IMO

Plus them essays lol

Yeah the essays are a lot.

But, honestly, I haven't heard many success stories with the DPMS program at Drexel (if that's the one you're referring to). I heard it's extremely rigorous and there's a 60% matriculation rate to DUCOM. The few people I know that have successfully made it through the program are at different medical schools now. GEMS success rate is much higher, from what I've read. But whatever can get you in! Good luck to you :)

Another misconception! I have heard of many GEMS matriculate into GUSOM, as long as they pass the medical school modules. You are pretty much guaranteed of admission, so I have been told. An 80% and above in each of the medical school modules, and YOU ARE GUARANTEED ADMISSION on academic grounds (unless you really screw up on the medical school admissions interview!) So, can I take a risk on GEMS over Drexel? You are damn right, I will!

Plus them essays lol

Last edited:
Did anybody hear back yet? I'm getting anxious...

Another misconception! I have heard of many GEMS matriculate into GUSOM, as long as they pass the medical school modules. You are pretty much guaranteed of admission, so I have been told. An 80% and above in each of the medical school modules, and YOU ARE GUARANTEED ADMISSION on academic grounds (unless you really screw up on the medical school admissions interview!) So, can I take a risk on GEMS over Drexel? You are damn right, I will!

... I guess. My number one path is to honestly get my MPH this cycle and then matriculate into a MD/MBA program next cycle. Drexel is only a backup, since the MCAT was my issue.

And as for your comment: "I have heard of many GEMS matriculate into GUSOM, as long as they pass the medical school modules." I have definitely NOT heard this lol. Might want to provide some proof to back this up

... I guess. My number one path is to honestly get my MPH this cycle and then matriculate into a MD/MBA program next cycle. Drexel is only a backup, since the MCAT was my issue.

And as for your comment: "I have heard of many GEMS matriculate into GUSOM, as long as they pass the medical school modules." I have definitely NOT heard this lol. Might want to provide some proof to back this up
I present to you the most current contract for the current GEMS class of 2016-2017 and their academic performance criteria for 2016. I have had enough interaction with the current GEMS and former GEMS student to base my discussion on some kind of inside knowledge; in short, I have done my homework to make and informed decision with facts rather than hearsay, for I was one of those students who used to base my criticism of Programs based on hearsay versus facts. As you can see, in the Program letter of understanding, part 3 doesn't guarantee you of being admitted into the GUSOM, however, statistics and facts do not lie! All the students that I have had time to talk to, told me that passing the three medical school modules with an 80% and above guarantees you admission (as long as you DO NOT screw up in other areas such as professionalism, and on the interview! ) In fact, there are students who have scored in high 70's who have also been admitted to the SOM. Can you kindly present any documented facts that state otherwise?

Attachments

• GEMS 2016-2017 Letter of Understanding.pdf
    275.6 KB · Views: 326
  • GEMS 2016-2017 Academic Performance Criteria.pdf
    172.8 KB · Views: 275
Last edited:
Reactions: 6 users
I think it will be another 2 weeks or so until we hear anything.. but I'm not positive.

Hopefully we hear back soon, since the Interview dates are supposed to be April 17 and May 1st, I believe.

I was waiting for my LORs which are finally in, so I'll be submitting within the next few days.
So I submitted my app this past weekend but I'm still waiting on a LOR. Do you think he/she will still be able to submit it???? Looks like the majority waited to get their LORs before submitting.

So I submitted my app this past weekend but I'm still waiting on a LOR. Do you think he/she will still be able to submit it???? Looks like the majority waited to get their LORs before submitting.

Nah, I'm with you...I'm waiting on a LOR as well. We got until the 30th I believe, but here's hoping we get complete before then...

Any update on submitting the application while waiting on a letter? I talked to my second recommender who claims she is uploading it tonight, but I'd rather be safe than sorry when it comes to submitting without it

Any update on submitting the application while waiting on a letter? I talked to my second recommender who claims she is uploading it tonight, but I'd rather be safe than sorry when it comes to submitting without it
Stay on her! I had to contact mine via facebook to get a hold of her.
@nononomeno Its actually due 12:00am on the 30th thus 11:59 on the 29th.

Has anyone tried emailing admissions? They answer pretty quick, maybe they can provide some more assistance.

I'm pretty sure you can submit before all your letters are in though, it just makes logical sense. The recommenders submit through a separate link they get once we list their name/info.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile