Georgetown GEMS 2017-2018

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
so we still gotta chance....albeit a small one, but they extended the deadline for interview invites until the 27th

where did you hear about that? I've been looking on the website.
Do any of you have any direct experience with the admissions staff? people going there? I feel very much in the dark about what I'm dealing with right now.

Members don't see this ad.

where did you hear about that? I've been looking on the website.
Do any of you have any direct experience with the admissions staff? people going there? I feel very much in the dark about what I'm dealing with right now.

Yeah, so I was feeling that way towards the end of last week and emailed them. They emailed back saying they extended the date until the 27th. I guess we just wait until Thursday and we'll know by then.

And def check with some former gems here on the threads...theres a couple you can find to contact to ask any questions you have.

Reactions: 1 user
Does anyone know recent matriculation data for GEMS students into GUSOM?
So, when we interviewed they were in their interview week. I am not sure of when they will find out, but they have a seat ready for each GEM student. The class that is in there now started out with 26 students and they are currently at 16; so, if they all were to finish the semester out strong and get in then obviously it is a little over 50%

Members don't see this ad :)
So, when we interviewed they were in their interview week. I am not sure of when they will find out, but they have a seat ready for each GEM student. The class that is in there now started out with 26 students and they are currently at 16; so, if they all were to finish the semester out strong and get in then obviously it is a little over 50%

Did they explain what happened to those other 10 students?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

so it sounds like the stats they put out there have the denominator of those who finish, not those who started...? aka better numbers than 50%

Did they explain what happened to those other 10 students?

A girl asked that same questioned at the end and in my personal opinion it seem as though he was inflating some of their good stats. Obviously if you successfully complete the program you will matriculate into GUSOM, but it is no easy task. I believe the 10 failed a module or something, and when you fail you are out of the program. It will be hard to get some detail if you try to pm or fb messenger current students because there are some guys that are extremely adamant about helping you will hurt their chances on getting in. Your best bet is by asking questions when you interview. Overall, it was a great experience and friendly environment, but you can tell they only highlighted their strong points. Get actually testimonies from former GEMS students

Last edited:
so it sounds like the stats they put out there have the denominator of those who finish, not those who started...? aka better numbers than 50%
he will tell you the stats of people that did not make it who matriculated to other medical schools or health care professional schools

Some folks I am told did not leave due to academic reasons but rather due to personal reasons. I am told about 4 students had left even before the end of the first medical school module (meaning that it was not due to an academic reason. Might it be that they realized that the program was becoming more demanding and rigorous, and they threw in the towel?) So unless you have some kind of internal information, the 50% stats surely may not be that realistic, for now it gets to 72+% (16/??22)

Yeah I agree that this program is and will be extremely rigorous. To answer your question, yes, I do have internal information. I have obtained additional information and contact information from current GEMS students after the interview last week. My tour guide who express his testimonies pertaining the lifestyle change and rigors of the program. He stated two of his study partners failed out during the renal module. Two other females express how this program isn't for anyone with significant others who may require alot of attention. Others express how although they love this program, if you aren't truly sold on attending GUSOM after then this program isn't for you because they way the grades will translate after will come off as C's in AMCAS. So yes, I have heard this is a fantastic program and hard, but the reason a significant number of people have left the program was due to academics. I recommend asking thorough question during your interview day. Overall, I think everyone should go in with the mindset of hardwork and in a years time they too will become medical students, but there is no reason to sugar coat declining (for a lack of a better word) numbers. In my opinion, it is what it is. However, if you do well then you are practically a GUSOM medical student

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Anyone receive an II this week? I feel like if i haven't heard back by now, i should give up

Hi guys! I'm new to posting on here but can anyone give info on where you met for the interview? I know the time, but I never received an email! Maybe they forgot about me? I got my call weeks ago

Hi guys! I'm new to posting on here but can anyone give info on where you met for the interview? I know the time, but I never received an email! Maybe they forgot about me? I got my call weeks ago
Never mind! I got the info, crisis averted!

Congrats to those who interviewed today! How was it? Did they mention about when the acceptance calls/emails will be sent out? Any possibility that it will be earlier than May 30th?

Members don't see this ad :)
Congrats to those who interviewed today! How was it? Did they mention about when the acceptance calls/emails will be sent out? Any possibility that it will be earlier than May 30th?
No specific date was given.

Dean Taylor said we would hear back "on or before May 30th"

Seriously... this program is my top, first choice! Hopefully we hear back soon! :xf:

Congrats!! I just received an email yesterday that they will be sending out notices via email or phone from May 20-30th... Hopefully I hear back soon!

Just got the call! I'm in! *celebratory dougie*

Reactions: 2 users
Congratulations, guys!!! For those of you who got calls did they come from a 202 number?

I'm in :) can't wait to meet you guys and get started!

Reactions: 4 users
does anyone know where the best places to live are? Looking for a studio/1 bedroom close to the school, either walking distance or quick metro/bus ride (<15 min)

Hello everyone. If you have not received a phone call or email please check your application portal and click the offer tab to find out if you've been accepted. You MUST reply by May 23! Good luck everyone

Female looking for a female roommate, interested living as close to campus as possible. Please pm me if interested.

I'm wondering if everyone should be expecting a call/email or if they are only contacting for acceptances?

Motivational fun fact. All current remaining gems students will matriculate in GUSOM this upcoming fall

Reactions: 7 users
does anyone know where the best places to live are? Looking for a studio/1 bedroom close to the school, either walking distance or quick metro/bus ride (<15 min)

It really depends on your budget. Georgetown is essentially the most expensive area in DC. There are slightly less expensive neighborhoods that are around Georgetown like DuPont Circle, Glover Park and Woodley Park...those areas are slightly less expensive but still pretty up there. You could easily spend $1500-$2000 per month on a small apartment. But you would be within a 25 minute or less bus/metro ride. Sometimes people will rent out rooms/basements in their homes in that area so that might be another option.

It really depends on your budget. Georgetown is essentially the most expensive area in DC. There are slightly less expensive neighborhoods that are around Georgetown like DuPont Circle, Glover Park and Woodley Park...those areas are slightly less expensive but still pretty up there. You could easily spend $1500-$2000 per month on a small apartment. But you would be within a 25 minute or less bus/metro ride. Sometimes people will rent out rooms/basements in their homes in that area so that might be another option.

Great info! Thank you

First off, congrats to those who got accepted! It is rolling admissions so for those who haven't heard back yet, there's still hope. I created a Facebook group for this year's class so we can all connect and share housing opportunities: Log into Facebook | Facebook

I look forward to meeting you guys in July!

Hi guys, I just found out about this program while searching for GUSOM SMP. Can anyone please offer a comparison between their SMP and GEMS programs. With low stats (cGPA 3.53 and MCAT 495 + low family income) which one am I better off applying to in terms of acceptance to the program and later on to med school? Are you definitely guaranteed acceptance with GEMS? Is it a good idea to apply to both programs so I may atleast get accepted to one? Thank you in advance.

Hey guys this thread was definitely a rollercoaster for me lol I was wondering what were the stats for those of you who got in?!?! I am really interested in this program.

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile

Hello guys,
I am currently a student in GEMS. I do not have much information about SMP, but GEMS... is a unique program. I have grown so much and learned to learn from this program. I needed an intervention. Not to scare you guys, it is an intense program. If you do well and finish the program, you will have a very good chance in getting into GUSOM. You do need to give it your all when you are in this program.

The stats are on the homepage for GEMS and it does not lie.

When you complete the program, do you matriculate into the first year or second year med class?