Georgetown vs TCOM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

person24

Reaction score
Georgetown

Pros:
- Interested in becoming involved in policy, specifically prison health reform.
- I am interested in psychiatry or primary care specialty but not set on any specialty yet so it will help keep as many doors open as possible. MD > DO.
- DC is a fun location for my wife and baby. More expensive to fly to for family but still fun place that family will come visit.

Cons:
- $73,000 a year in tuition.
- DC is expensive.

TCOM

Pros:
- Tuition $29,000. They give some OOS students in-state tuition, so potentially $13,000. If I do end up going into psychiatry, the savings in tuition would be amazing.
- Cheap cost of living in Fort Worth
- Also fun area for wife and baby. Easier and cheaper for family to visit.
- Great DO school

Cons:
- Likely will close some doors if I end up choosing a competitive specialty.

Summary: I would love to go to an MD school to keep all my options open, but the tuition is daunting, especially if I go into psychiatry or primary care. Over the four years I would be saving 176-240k in tuition alone, not to mention the cost of living difference between DC and Fort Worth. Please give me some insight. At the moment I'm leaning toward Georgetown and then figuring out the financial part of it later with PSLF, NHSC, or potentially the military (I would prefer not to do the military though). Please give me some insight on this decision.

Members don't see this ad.

How old is your baby? How much is childcare at both locations? Add that to COA if it hasn't been already.

If you really intend to stay in the DC area to pursue policy, that's hard to turn down. See about jobs for your spouse. I don't know about family planning to see if you would anticipate costs for another baby, but you need to think about it. Education in DC is very good.

Texas prison reform... what is available to you at TCOM or statewide for this?