Georgetown 2008 GEMS Program

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Are you AT, who loves tennis? hahaha, I still remember bits and pieces from our icebreaker in the beginning. I actually didn't meet anyone in person from SDN in retrospect but I can kinda tell now who's who from their posts. Here's to waiting for some good news before the end of the month yo! :cool:

hahahhaha! i think that icebreaker was great. and i agree. it is AT, who loves tennis. what was your "fun fact"?:laugh:

Members don't see this ad.

My fun fact was that i am a self proclaimed virtuoso air guitarist and a mediocre electric guitarist....pretty crazy stuff haha....it was all improv at that point cause i was a lil nervous:laugh:

hahahhaha! i think that icebreaker was great. and i agree. it is AT, who loves tennis. what was your "fun fact"?:laugh:

Hahhaaha, guilty as charged! :) It was very nice meeting you all. I'm still amazed how Mr. T remembered everyone's name and face at a short amount of time.

Members don't see this ad :)
lemme guess migs.. are you MP, the air guitarist? hahaha.... i can tell from your school and looking at the interviewee list. for my fact, i said that i was claustrophobic. anyone wanna take a stab at it? hahaha. :D

lemme guess migs.. are you MP, the air guitarist? hahaha.... i can tell from your school and looking at the interviewee list. for my fact, i said that i was claustrophobic. anyone wanna take a stab at it? hahaha. :D

RU. got it:thumbup: right?

RU. got it:thumbup: right?

hahaha. actually, no. i'm not RU. nice try though! :D anyone else with their fun fact? something to pass the time while we're waiting impatiently for the end of the month?

Last edited:
you got me AT. hahaha. anyone else notice Georgetown Med updated their website? i was just passing by to see if they had any updates about acceptance offers and was surprised to see the site had a new look. but alas, still no updates available. too bad three weeks can't come any sooner! :mad:

gosh... time is passing by soooo slowly... mebbe they'll accept all 42 of us?? or even more than the 30 or so they said they will. everyone who went on the 21st were all great! i dont know how they will eliminate us...

as for the small session group case study portion, what did u guys think of that? my "grader" kept writing notes and then erasing constantly.. lol
we had a question on epi and receptors + membrane potential stuff... u all got that?

I kept thinking that within the April group that I would be able to spot the "definitely nots", but everyone was so good! I don't know how they are going to pick. Maybe they will make this class the biggest yet, a whopping 42 GEMS!!! I hope so :)

Hey Hey GEMS applicants! I'm a current GEMS and I know it might be a tad early to think about the whole housing situation since you haven't received acceptance letters yet -- but I wanted to throw it out there that the house I'm living in will have at three vacant rooms (one basement apt and two bedrooms) available and I'm trying to "save" the house for incoming GEMS.

The house is on 38th and T Street which is REALLY close to campus. The prices are "Georgetown reasonable" meaning it's not the cheapest thing available but it's not a steal either...the basement will probably go for $1000/month and the other rooms $865 and $725 per month (not including utilities)

Anyway, once you get your acceptance letters and think you might be interested -- shoot me a msg and lemme know!

Best of luck to everyone applying! :)

I think some people last year found out early....around the 18th I believe? So maybe WE will find out early too!!! I sure hope so, the anticipation is killing me.

Members don't see this ad :)
how'd u hear students last year heard back so quick? omg.. that would be awesome! =)

I think I remember seeing it on the past years GEMS forums.

You know, they said we'd found out BY the 30th, not necessarily ON the 30th, so really, it could be any day between now and then.

Also, does anyone know how we are notified? I mean, do they call like they did for the interview, or what?

I think in the past they have called to notify for acceptances.

So when someone gets the first call, PLEASE come and let us know! Even if you are told to keep it a secret, please post because the rest of us are dying to know when the results are going to be out.

I think in the past they have called to notify for acceptances.

So when someone gets the first call, PLEASE come and let us know! Even if you are told to keep it a secret, please post because the rest of us are dying to know when the results are going to be out.

HAHAHHAH! "...Even if you are told to keep it a secret, please post...". :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

I dont think that they found out early last yr. I think it was right around when they said it would be

well ladies and gentlemen:

Mr. Taylor called me at 8:30 AM today and i have been accepted into the 2008- 2009 Georgetown GEMS program! God has answered my prayers and blessed me once again in my life. This is the happiest day of my life! Anyone else get any news? Now its time for the fun to begin...:D

YAYAYAYAYAY!!!! I got a call at 8:15 this morning from Dean Williams with my ACCEPTANCE!!!! This is also the happiest day of my life (and also the scariest!!!) I think the train that is about to hit us starting July 9th is quite a monster, but I am ready for the challenge. Bring it on ACADEMIC BEATDOWN!!!!!

Halleluyah!! OMG can't believe it.. after seeing ur posts i went to check my phone, and i got a call this morning too...! I missed it, but i called dean williams right back, i'm in.. i'm sooo happy..! YES YES YES! thank u to capricious1984 for ur support, advice... i'll be seeing u this summer! keep the faith people, u should be getting a call soon shortly... KEEP UR PHONE WITH U EVEN IF U'RE AT WORK! :hardy: :luck: :hardy:

Hey all, thought I'd also share that I've been accepted into the GEMS program for next year. I was an April interviewee. Anyway, I'd like to extend my congratulations to all those accepted.

*Attn: Accepted GEMS Ladies*

i'm going to need to rent a place REALLY close to campus... def. within walking distance.. or close to the shuttle service (like dupont, etc) i guess starting July since the program starts then...

message me if u're interested in finding a place together/have a place in mind/would like another female roommate from GEMS (i'm still searching)

awesome,

thanks! :)

Well thanks for ostracizing all of us guys! Naw jk...i'm living at home anyways and will prolly be the only one commuting! good luck finding housing! :)

K so I got the call too. I'll def start looking for housing. But I am also waiting to hear back from one med sch. This process is so stressful. Interviewed may 5th. PM me if u want to discuss anything like housing and all that other stuff...

congratulations to everyone that has been accepted. Now for the next task..... HOUSING! If there are any GEMS males (or general students) that would like to live close to campus in comfortable housing I am interested in finding roomates to help alleviate those grueling D.C. Housing prices. See you all on July 9th

Hey all accepted GEMS:

I noticed that there was not a GEMS group on Facebook, so i made one today...All former GEMS and anyone associated with the program feel free to join! It has relevant info on housing, Georgetown/ DC area and such. Congrats to everyone!

facebook group address: http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=18640229691

congrats to who made it so far! :D
but are they done calling for the accepted students? I haven't received any call yet :confused:

Congrats to those who have already been accepted.
And for the rest of us, hopefully here are a few rational (I think) reasons to think the calls aren't done.

1. Although they interviewed only 42 people, the calls were spread out over several days. Browsing back through the posts, it looks (at the very least) as though calls were made on April 4th, 10th and/or 11th. So, it doesn't seem unreasonable to think the acceptances will be done in a similar fashion.

2. It looks as though 16 people who have posted here interviewed, and it looks like seven confirmed acceptances, and nine of us who either didn't get in or haven't heard. Given that the class size seems to hover right around 30, the nine of use who haven't heard would have to be almost everyone who didn't get in. Not that it's impossible, but statistically, it seems like it would be unusual for there to be such a large difference in percentage of acceptances (7/16 or 44%) among those who have posted here, compared to those who interviewed, but haven't posted here (23/26 or 88%, assuming the class size is 30 students) It's been a while since I took stats, but I think there's some kind of simple analysis that could be done (ANOVA test?).

3. Dean Williams/Mr. Taylor said that there would be "about 30" in the class, but from the GEMS FAQ, the class size for the last three years has averaged over 33 students, and was at 37 last year. Obviously a larger class size improves our chances.

Anyways. These are just numbers and I could be completely wrong, but I think there is still some hope out there for those of us who haven't heard...for a few more days at least.

Again congrats to everyone who is already in. For everyone else...'I feel your pain.'

You'd make a great statistician-- there's soo many #'s and calculations... lol =P relax...

u kno what i think it is? they probably called the april 21st interviewees first... that's wehn i went and i think that's when the others went to. when did u interview?

anyhow g'luck!

i really hope that they are not done with calling.:confused:
effwun, you are good. thanks for keeping the morale up. i'm anxiously waiting to hear something.
i can tell you guys one thing though, my cellphone won't get stolen anytime soon. i watch it like its made out of pure gold.:)
aloha1284, someone from the may 5th confirmed that he/she was accepted.

I interviewed may 5th (I was the last girl to walk in during the introduction session if you remember me); but I think you guys need to relax, you would get called soon. During our conversation, I was like "wow! I didn't expect to hear back this early", he told me that they called people as soon as decisions were made. I don't think they are through with reviewing everyones application, so don't stress out. PM me if you need anymore info.

i really hope that they are not done with calling.:confused:
effwun, you are good. thanks for keeping the morale up. i'm anxiously waiting to hear something.
i can tell you guys one thing though, my cellphone won't get stolen anytime soon. i watch it like its made out of pure gold.:)
aloha1284, someone from the may 5th confirmed that he/she was accepted.

I was an April interview person. Come on and post on the "official" thread! It's going to get tedious searching through this one once it hits page 6, etc. Plus, so far it's just me talking to myself on the thread :(

I think we all keep posting here because this thread has a lot of great info about housing and other stuff about the program. I dont think it has hit page six yet :confused:.

It is easier (at least for me) to post here because i can refer to previous post about the program.

Thanks Luidabruin:D

K, so I need to find housing; I wanted to get a one bedroom, but that is probably not going to happen with the ridiculous housing prices. I am looking for a roommate, preferably female, I am really easy to get along with, attractive, young, and I like girly stuff. If that sounds like you please PM me.

I have a car, but I want to live in walking distance to school to avoid transportation cost. I would also prefer a two bedroom 2 baths, that way we could have our own space. I saw a couple of nice places online running for about 2000; please PM me if you are interested, and think you might share some things in common with me.

Thanks for the link and the PM mcatslave.

I am still trying to make up my mind, but you gave me some sound advise. :thumbup:

People need to post more on this thread. How is everyone's housing search going? mine sucks.... OMG I'm going to be homeless July 9th if things do not chANGE

Hi everyone,

So I know housing is such drama right now, but I also have a question regarding the financial aid applications we have to fill out. Would anyone be kind enough to let me know what all we need to file before june 1st..its getting soo close and I'm all scatter-brained right now...EEK!

Thanks!!!

Does anyone have the supposed list of upcoming available apts that the previous GEMS students said they would create for us? I thought it would be provided in our packet, but I did not recieve anything....

Hi everyone, I was wondering if anyone knew what our elective classes were gonna be? Also does anyone know if the graduate courses are as difficult as the medical school ones we are required to take?

Hey everyone! I got into the Gems too and decided to finally make a screen name since I usually just read and never post!

Since classes start on July 9th, are most people going to be in town the weekend before? We should totally all get together and go out on Saturday night, July 5th for some celebration/last night of complete freedom partying! Alcohol + Adams Morgan never dissapoints :)

Let me know who's down for some bond building before classes start! We should make extra effort to stay a close group since apparently in the past some groups never hung out at all.

GtownGems2008,

That is the best thing Ive seen so far. Im def. down to go out the weekend before academic beatdown begins.

Part of staying a close knit group starts with joining the GEMS facebook group at:

facebook group address: http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=18640229691

All the cool kids are doing it. I know there are more out there! Most def i would be down for some 07/05/08 partying...it will prolly be one of the last nights we get to do that for a lonnnnnnnnnnnnnngg time..haha

Yes! Some pre-beat down partying is on the way!!! So save your calendar (and liver function) for 7/6/08 :)

I will join the facebook group soon, but it's too early since I haven't told my boss yet I am leaving. Once I give my two week notice I can join since my coworkers are on my "friends list" and they are SNITCHES!