GEMS Georgetown 2015-2016

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hey VitalBean, I'm sorry to hear about the mixup with your application. I understand how it can be discouraging, but let me reassure you, if your application fits what the GEMS committee looks for, they will contact you for an interview. I say this because I went for the interview on the 20th of April and the committee and students are amongst the best people I have ever met. They are very caring and very supportive. The last thing I would ever think of them is that they would not give an applicant a fair chance, especially if the mistake was done on their behalf. The committee treated everyone with professionalism and integrity and at the same time, really made us all feel like part of the GEMS family. So I assure you they will look into your application, they will look it at with equal focus as everyone else's and if they feel you are right for an interview, you will receive one regardless of if this mix up had or had not occurred.

I have no benefit whatsoever to just be simply stating this info, it will not change my status in anyway. I take the time to respond to you only because I truly feel the committee are of the most caring, fair and professional people I have ever met and that the one day I spent with them during my GEMS interview truly changed my life. I hope you get the interview, I hope you go and if you do, you will understand why me saying that that one day changed my life is not an overstatement.
Thank you! Haha hopefully I am given the privilege to interview:)

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Me being the neurotic person I am, got another email saying "Applicants will receive updates in the next 24-48 hours."

+pity+:ninja:

Reactions: 1 users
If anyone gets any sort of update the next 2 days (interview invite, rejection) please let us know! Good luck everyone!

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
If anyone gets any sort of update the next 2 days (interview invite, rejection) please let us know! Good luck everyone!

According to the Committee, those who got interviewed will hear back during the 3rd or 4th week of May, so besides interviews and maybe pre-interview rejections, I don't think anyone will hear of an acceptance in the next 2 days...

Lol I guess I should have clarified that I was referring to anyone who didn't hear back yet!

I suppose by Friday (at the latest) we can expect to have our answers. Personally, I doubt they'd call for a possible interview for Monday this late but I guess you never know. It'd be a pleasant surprise, that's for sure. Best of luck to all!

Waiting for the mailman to bring my possible rejection letter :( alas, I may have not fit into their definition of disadvantaged

Got my rejection letter in the mail :( I took biochemistry just for the GEMS requirement. I'm a little upset but I guess that was not meant to be my path. I don't know why they waited so long and probably didn't offer anyone else interviews. Sigh. Good luck to everyone who interviewed though!

@rosie23 I am sorry to hear that. The biochemistry class will definitely serve for other programs, and definitely for medical school. So you did not just take it for GEMS. Look at the long run.
Have you applied to other programs?
Dont you give up!

Members don't see this ad :)
I've already gotten into George Squared but I really wanted a program that had a strong linkage to the medical school. I've applied to DPMS too so we shall see but I'm beginning to think I don't fit into their definition of disadvantaged. I'm also wondering if I should apply to georgetown SMP.

Good luck to those interviewing tomorrow. You'll have a lot of fun.

Ladies please comfortable shoes, the day is long.

Hey, to those interviewing today, I know you won't be done till later on in the day, but whenever you get on SDN, can you notify us how many students were there during the interview? Just want to compare my interview day to today to calculate how many total interviewees were invited. Thanks in advance.

haha, yea I've been trying to figure out who you are too...its easier for you since there were only a handful of guys. how about we just say our dance moves and we can figure it out from there?

has anyone heard anything yet?
Nothing as of yet. I believe we should start hearing back this week. I think there's a good chance some of us start hearing tomorrow even (fingers crossed). You interviewed on the 4th of May right?

Nothing as of yet. I believe we should start hearing back this week. I think there's a good chance some of us start hearing tomorrow even (fingers crossed). You interviewed on the 4th of May right?
Maybe!

I got the call I'm in!! So excited!

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Me too!! congrats to you all!!

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Congrats you guys! I was one of the April interviewees and was accepted yesterday as well

Reactions: 2 users
Congrats to everyone who has gotten in! I was just reading up on this program and these forums came up.

Can anyone elaborate on the*general qualifications it takes to get an interview and acceptance? I know there are no ranges, but even with a 30 MCAT I'm not sure a 2.4 UG will cut it. I'm currently enrolled in non degree graduate classes and doing fine as my life isn't crazy anymore (Finally), but I'm not sure if I should apply this year or wait until next summer to submit an application in Spring of 2017. Or would it be a good idea to do both?...do they let you reapply?

Thanks in advance!

Does anyone know the matriculation rate for the current class into Gtown med (class of 2019)?

I think there is a spot for everyone, so I depend on your performance during the program.

I was also accepted to the program. Can't wait to get started!!!!

Hi guys,

So I usually get on SDN just to read stuff and be a creeper lol but I had to actually create an account and post for this particular reason. Accepted May 4th interviewee here and I have been frantically searching for places to stay, but I would prefer to stay with fellow GEMS students. I met a current GEMS student during my interview who has been extremely helpful and kind and is offering his townhouse which is a 10 min walk from the school of medicine. I need to find 3 other girls to live with in order to secure this deal. So if anyone is looking for a roommate/place to stay at this late hour like I am PLEASE hit me up. Rent price is really good, distance is perfect. We have about 5 weeks before we have to start and I really want to get this major issue out of the way haha.

Any female interested in living in a house with other grad students? It's literally 2 blocks from the medical school. Price is $965 and utilities run about $100-120 a month. Bathroom is shared with another girl who is an SMP. Message me for pics if interested! It's available July 1st

Hello everyone,

I am hoping to apply to the program next year and I would like to start working on my application now. However, I see that the application will not be uploaded until next year. Can someone please tell me if there are any short responses or essays that have to be completed in the application? If yes, what are the prompts and how much space they give you to answer them?

Thank you very much! I appreciate your help in advance.

Does anyone know if 1 quarter of biochem would suffice? Or would I need to take 2 quarters to be able to apply?

Where you able to find the answer for this question? I am looking to apply next cycle and I don't know if I should take 2 quaters of Biochem or just one would be acceptable. Thank you!

Does anyone know the matriculation rate for the current class into Gtown med (class of 2019)?

Pretty much 100% if you do well, GEMS is pretty much the only way a Black students gets accepted to G'town.

Would you suggest applying to other med schools via amcas during GEMS year if accepted? If so about how many med schools would be a good number without having to take time away from gems studying?

Pretty much 100% if you do well, GEMS is pretty much the only way a Black students gets accepted to G'town.

don't think this is true...there may be some that are accepted but CHOOSE not to attend. Its not the only way. Also if ur an undergrad student at georgetown they have a post bacc, i know of someone who got in that way and the person is black and they also matched into the most competitive specialty in the country from georgetown. don't spread also info.

don't think this is true...there may be some that are accepted but CHOOSE not to attend. Its not the only way. Also if ur an undergrad student at georgetown they have a post bacc, i know of someone who got in that way and the person is black and they also matched into the most competitive specialty in the country from georgetown. don't spread also info.

I'm a Georgetown alumni VERY familiar with the GEMS program AND the folks who run it.

With your sample size of n=1, you're in NO position to tell others what to say or share what you think. Also, check your reading comprehension, I didn't say it was 100%.

I'm a Georgetown alumni VERY familiar with the GEMS program AND the folks who run it.

With your sample size of n=1, you're in NO position to tell others what to say or share what you think. Also, check your reading comprehension, I didn't say it was 100%.

and I'm an HYS alumni, for an alum, you have a lot of time on your hands and you said only so your sample size is small as well.

Last edited:
I plan on applying for GEMS for the next cycle. I was worrying if I still can, I just found out about the program. I was worrying if I submitted my AMCAS application after November 30, but have every processed by the time I submit my GEMS application if I am still qualified? At Georgetown GEMS page, it states "AMCAS assigns a "submission date" which must be no later than November 30, 2015, and a "processed date" when all grades have been certified. To be eligible for GEMS, the 2016 AMCAS application must be certified as "processed" at the time the GEMS application is submitted".

I plan on applying for GEMS for the next cycle. I was worrying if I still can, I just found out about the program. I was worrying if I submitted my AMCAS application after November 30, but have every processed by the time I submit my GEMS application if I am still qualified? At Georgetown GEMS page, it states "AMCAS assigns a "submission date" which must be no later than November 30, 2015, and a "processed date" when all grades have been certified. To be eligible for GEMS, the 2016 AMCAS application must be certified as "processed" at the time the GEMS application is submitted".
]

I'm in the same exact situation as well. Would it be possible to still apply? I plan on emailing them to ask.

From my understanding, you have to have a submitted AMCAS before applying to the program. I would still e-mail just to make sure that the November 30 date is set in stone.

Hey, I applied to this program also and I'm super nervous about gaining entry. I know the application is still open for a few more days but does anyone know when we should start hearing back from them? i.e. interviews, acceptances, rejections?

Hey, I applied to this program also and I'm super nervous about gaining entry. I know the application is still open for a few more days but does anyone know when we should start hearing back from them? i.e. interviews, acceptances, rejections?

I just heard back today. Offered an interview for the 18th of April. Turned in my app literally on the second to last day because pchem dominated my life.