Georgetown 2008 GEMS Program

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Any FEMALES interested in sharing a studio college dorm style? Two beds, two dressers, two desk type thing?

I am trying to think of ways to save money to avoid taking out alternative loans! I figure since we will be studying so much we will just need a place to sleep before we wake up and just to do it all over again.

Hurry and PM me if you are interested!!!

Members don't see this ad.

Does Anyone know where I can find information on Alternative Loans??

What are some common ones people use?? Is the deadline for that also June 1st?? I'm so clueless with this stuff-- help!

Aloha,

Go to

http://www.finaid.org/loans/privatestudentloans.phtml

They have different companies listed that you can get alternative loans from. The financial aid website for GUSOM has 3 suggested lenders, but you should do your research and pick the best group for you. Sometimes the schools get kick backs for "suggesting" certain lenders, so just look where you can find the best deal for yourself.

Also keep in mind that alternative loans interest rate can change often, and there is NO cap as to how high it can go. Typically, you cannot claim the interest on them on your taxes once in repayment if you make over $50,000 and you can never claim bankruptcy on them either. Not to scare you (because I will have to take some out myself) but just to let you know it's not a simple thing.

If you want your alternative loans to be in the bank at Georgetown by July 9th, then the deadline is early June. If you don't mind to wait to get your money, I think you can wait to submit it. In contrast to the STAFFORD LOANS, that money has to be at Gtown by July 9th (since they require a 8000 something payment on our first day) so that deadline is strictly June 1st.

Hope that helps!

Members don't see this ad :)
I wonder when we will receive our HUGE stack of study materials? Has everyone turned in their Letter of Understanding?

I don't really know what huge stack of materials you're referring to... I personally just turned my letter today. Do we buy our own books or does GEMS provide them for us? These textbooks are supposedly pretty darn expensive.

Last edited:
@ Krak:

Dude your screename is hilarious...but hopefully it does not indicate any recreational activities that you partake in...haha..im sure it's not...anyways i have the same question as to which day we are getting together, but as far as i know...it is the night of July 5th, which might well just turn into July 6 depending on curfews or the lack thereof :)

That's 4th of july weekend.. it's gonna be tough getting together + there's moving in which is gonna be a pain in the butt. still tryin to figure out how to get my stuff to fit into one tiny, TINY closet.. lol

anyhow, mebbe we can do a celebratory sorta thing that weekend AFTER we start? we can have a better idea of where to go/who's coming, etc? jus a thought :)

Well migs, my screenname is derived from my gamertag I've always used for many years. However, as time went so did the many puns that got played off of it. So, thus far, it could be used to denote a recreational drug, an ethnic slur, a delicious wafery treat and multiple puns :).

Moving is definitely gonna be a pain but thankfully I don't have or need much stuff, just an internet connection and a table and bed. I'm looking forward to seeing you guys on 4th july weekend. Someone mentioned a pre-beat down fest? Yeah... woo

Okay guys....we need to seriously set up email so we can coordinate things! It's hard trying to figure out things like going out, who needs roomies, etc. on this board! So I will start an email group thing and add people as they come along.

SOOOOO SEND ME YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS at [email protected]

And yes, SATURDAY night July 5th is our celebratory night. Of course, we can still all get together the weekend after too, but the night after July 4th should be fun in the District (as opposed to Sunday or Monday night). Plus, that will give everyone a few days to recouperate before beatdown on July 9th.

So send me your email now if you wanna be on the list/group.

Hey you guys,

I Just found a GREAT place to live that is VERY close to Georgetown and has ALOT of upcomming vacancies........

Amenities include:

24 hr. Concierge
Less than 2 min walk to campus
Maximum Security
Quiet facilities
Great neighborhood
Caters to a wide variety of students

If you are interested check out the following website:

http://www1.georgetown.edu/dml/

Please let me know if you are interested, I am looking for people to go on this with. ;) :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Yo, that link goes to the library... I mean there's plenty of space in the library but I dunno if they'd appreciate me walking around naked :D. Anyway, joking aside, if you do find a place hook me up man. I'm dead ends all over the place.

I'm looking at group houses so if you are potentially interested send me your email address. It's WAY easier to coordinate that way.

I live locally so it's easy for me to check places out.

Hey Guys!!!! I am extra excited to meet everyone in early July. I am a newbie to posting on SDN but I always read everyone elses posts... which is unfair so here is my info...
I interviewed on May 5th and was called about my acceptance on May 19th. I will be joining the facebook group like.. now. and I can't party with everyone July 5th (pervious engagement to attend:().

I do have a question about filing our FAFSA if anyone knows the answer...what degree are we working on- 1st year graduate professional and do we file GEMS as a graduate certificate program? Any knowledge will help. THANKS!!!

Hi GEMSters, :(

I am sad to report that i will not be joining you next year.
Here is an excerpt from my email to a couple of GEMSters earlier today:

...after a long weekend of stress and a lot of soul searching, I have decided to withdraw from the GEMS program. On Friday, I was denied admission into the University of Illinois at Chicago. However, they extended an offer to attend their postbac program. After weighting the pros and cons of both post bacs vs. going to med school in Puerto Rico, I decided UIC will provide me with the best chance to achieve my goals successfully.

I still cannot believe I am turning down a chance to be a Hoya. I am a little sad about this decision. In particular, because I was really looking forward to get to know you better as classmates and friends....

So, I guess this is will be my last post in this thread. I wish you all the best of luck at GT!! :luck:

Hey everyone.

Me and a fellow GEMS member who is coming into the DC area to look for places are going to get up for dinner or going out or something. If anyone is local like me and would like to meet up with us just let me know! We are going either Thursday night or Friday night (6/5 or 6/6/).

Thanks!

Hey Gtowngems2008:

I am a local and I'm down for going out on Fri night 6/6 for a meet and greet type thing. Where were you all planning to go?Thanks

Migs!

Send me an email at gtowngems2008 with your cell phone and I will keep you posted. As of right now we are still trying to get our schedules coordinated as to what/when we are going. I have to work tomorrow night until 11pm (but I will probably get done closer to 10pm) so we were thinking about meeting up during the day time or going out at night (just depending on her schedule). If you guys wanted to meet up before hand I could maybe meet you later once I was off work. Either way, we'll figure something out..so send me your digits!!!

Did you guys get your packets yet? Lots of good info plus pictures of all 24 of us! Haha.

Nope havent gotten mine yet:(..Does it have our reading materials and stuff? class info etc...?

HI everyone..for anyone who has a packet already. does it have a schedule? If so, can you tell me if we are busy in class on August 7th?

The packet doesn't give us our exact schedule. It says to we will have to wait until the first day to get the exact syllabus. However, it DOES say that we have some manadatory freshman med. school orientation activities (which are optional for them) to attend on August 9th and/or August 10th. It also says our daily schedules will be from 8-4:30or5:30. The summer time won't have any weekend activities but once the school year starts we will have weekend classes or study sessions.

Hope that helps! Oh, and we also have a test on the first day of class from the study materials that Mr. Taylor is sending out today!

Awesome! Thanks for letting me know!

Hey Guys.... Does anyone NOT have housing yet..??? or am i the only one lol. If anyone is still looking for a female roommate please PM me. I'll be in DC on Wednesday next week ready to sign a lease...

Wow, these guys really mean business huh? Study packets and a test on the first day? Weekend classes too? This is gonna be an interesting experience. Hey but you gotta put in the work to get into Gtown Med. Does anybody know how many of last years GEMS got in?

I got my study packet today. It's about one inch thick, front and back. It says we are to master the material and on the test you can't get lower than an 80. I looked over it and it is SO detailed...yikes! Time to step up our game. I'm just wondering how I am going to master that material while still working 50 hour weeks until classes start...maybe I should quit soon?

Hey Hey!

If anybody is still looking for housing - the basement apt in my house is still available. I placed an ad up on Craigslist which can be found here:

http://washingtondc.craigslist.org/doc/roo/721179585.html

I know that the landlady will rent the place for $925/month if I recommend the person (which I will for any incoming GEM) so msg me if you're interested.

Thanks!

Hey Guys, I just moved to D.C. If anyone is down to study send me a PM

Studying already?? Wow, so you probably got your study packet from Mr. Taylor already? How does it look?

Thick and scary! I just wonder how much detail we have to know all the stuff. Do we need to be able to draw all the stuctures, etc. and memorize all the dates and names of people? Or is this a general type quiz on the first day? Something tells me it's probably the former. Yikes!

Ok, check this out, One of the former GEMS students told me that Rhinos on M street in Georgetown has been the official GEMS class social bar/meeting spot for the past couple of years. They have a GREAT happy hour (I think from 5-8) where the drinks are all half off and the food is as well. What a great place to start out. Is everyone down for going here either Friday or Saturday? If so, then we'll decide a time and make it an OFFICIAL Date..... (man Ive never been on a date with 24 people before)

Hey, can any of you accepted applicants tell me about your profile for the GEMS program? Did you apply during college or after taking some time off to do a graduate degree? Did your GPA fall within the range of the average GPAs, if you mind sharing? Did you take a lot of science courses - the application asks if you have had taken any advanced science classes. How was the interview, etc. etc.

I would appreciate any information/advice.

Hi Guys! I'm new to this forum but I just wanted to congratulate all of you who got accepted into the GEMS program and hopefully I can join you guys soon! I'm applying there for Fall 2009, I'm planning on taking the MCATs in January so I'm working butt off to get a high score because my gpa isn't high at all so I'm not even sure if I have a chance.... but if it's not a problem can anyone post what their gpa and MCAT scores were when you applied? Thank you!!!!!!!!!!!!:)

Hey,
I have a quick question for 2009, If I'm not taking the Mcat till Jan. Will i still be able to apply to the GEMS program? Will I be able to summit the Mcat score to the AAMC application? THANKS

Hey,
Any recent GEMS alums out there- I have a lot of questions about the program, please PM me!
Thanks!

Congrats to everyone hard at work in the GEMs program.

Does anyone know about the math requirements? Is it one semester or two semesters? Will statistics count?

For anyone interested in GEMS:

I am a current GEMS and have a few words of advice for anyone interested in the program. Now for a disclaimer: I am not sure what specifically they are looking for in students in terms of non-cognitives, but for all of that information the brochure and question and answers documents on their website is your best bet.

In terms of GPA/MCAT: the averages on the website are good guidelines, but seriously, there are some people in this program who could have gotten into medical school straight out of college, but have decided to do this program (maybe they may want to go to Georgetown Med or make themselves more competitive). Although the MCAT and GPA are important, they do NOT determine everything and that is the whole mission of this program. Numbers and stats do not determine if a person will be a competent physician. BOTTOM LINE: if your numbers are fairly close to the averages in the brochure then you stand a chance.

Almost as important to the GEMS program is your exposure and desire to become a physician. If you have not had much exposure to medicine then i would strongly encourage you to get some experience before applying to the program. GEMS is for students who are out to prove that they can handle the rigors of medical school after having lots of exposure to medicine and have their goals clear in mind. Many students in this program have been out of school for a couple of years. I myself am one of the few coming in straight from undergraduate school. Many of the ones who are a few years removed from school have been working in healthcare as EMTs, medical scribes, non-profit healthcare organization manangers, NIH research assistants, science teachers and medical missions volunteers. Needless to say, the experiences are varied and extensive but bottom line: you NEED to have a substantial amount of exposure to medicine for consideration in this program and eventual matriculation to Georgetown Med. Shadowing a doctor for a few hours on a sunday evening, although worthy, is certainly not enough.

I will keep you all updated as the year progresses, but alas i must get back to some Biochemistry studying. The final is this thursday! Wish me luck.:luck: haha. anyways, feel free to PM me.

~peace

Hi this message is for any current GEMS student: Do you recommend the program- i.e. if you can do it all over again- would you recommend this program? Also do you feel that it makes you competitive for just G-Town Medical School, or does it increase your chance of admission to other medical schools? Lastly what classes do you take and how difficult is the coursework? I heard med school courses are hard, but I wanted to know from a current student's perspective. - Thanks for all your help!!

Good question, janalex. I, too, would like to know what previous and current GEMS-ers think in regards to the coursework, the academic support provided, and being able to score, is it at or above the med school test averages (please correct me if I misread this).

It sounds like this program provides excellent guidance and support to help students succeed and meet this criteria, but still, some students do not matriculate into the next year Georgetown med school class; can any current or previous GEMS-ers share a little more about what they think happened in those cases? (i.e. did some students choose to apply and attend another school, did they not complete the program, were they unable to score well on tests?)

Thanks in advance.

Hello all,

I have a question regarding the pbacc classes taken within GEMS. On the faq link, I noticed that there was a section that said, "if admitted, a GEMS can retake all courses taken during the GEMS year, but most GEMS students are granted exemption for the medical courses completed within that year". Does that mean that a GEMS student comes into Georgetown SOM as an MS2? If not, how is it structured? Do MS1-GEMS students skip the classes that they took as a premed GEM student?

Thanks guys

You go in as M1. You are exempt from the classes you took as a GEMS student.

Hello all,

I have a question regarding the pbacc classes taken within GEMS. On the faq link, I noticed that there was a section that said, "if admitted, a GEMS can retake all courses taken during the GEMS year, but most GEMS students are granted exemption for the medical courses completed within that year". Does that mean that a GEMS student comes into Georgetown SOM as an MS2? If not, how is it structured? Do MS1-GEMS students skip the classes that they took as a premed GEM student?

Thanks guys

Hi everyone. I am new to this. I just have a few questions about the admission process. I am applying for the 2009 fall class. My first question is how was the interview process? is it group or one-on-one? How long are they? My last question is, I see that there is a test taken on the day of the interview. What kind questions are on there? is it Chemistry, Biology, Physics, writing like the MCAT? Please leave me a message. I will be very grateful. I really want to get into the program.

thanks

Interview - 2 interview and both are 1-on-1; ~30 mins each
Tests- 2 "tests" (1) biology + general chemistry (2) study skill "survey" ; You really shouldn't worry about them esp if you just took the MCAT.
Good Luck!
Hi everyone. I am new to this. I just have a few questions about the admission process. I am applying for the 2009 fall class. My first question is how was the interview process? is it group or one-on-one? How long are they? My last question is, I see that there is a test taken on the day of the interview. What kind questions are on there? is it Chemistry, Biology, Physics, writing like the MCAT? Please leave me a message. I will be very grateful. I really want to get into the program.

thanks