GEMS Georgetown 2015-2016

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DocLocke

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

This might seem early, but is anyone planning on taking the MCAT in 2014 and applying to GEMS in Feb 2015? Also, does anyone have any recent insight on their time at the program or the process? I searched for some threads, but most of them are a couple of years old so things could have changed and new people might have insight from recent years. :)

I'm currently a senior in undergrad with kind of a really chaotic background and college career, but things are coming together now and I'm excited to be working towards this path!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Hey everyone,

This might seem early, but is anyone planning on taking the MCAT in 2014 and applying to GEMS in Feb 2015? Also, does anyone have any recent insight on their time at the program or the process? I searched for some threads, but most of them are a couple of years old so things could have changed and new people might have insight from recent years. :)

I'm currently a senior in undergrad with kind of a really chaotic background and college career, but things are coming together now and I'm excited to be working towards this path!

Hi DocLocke! I am also looking to apply this cycle too. Look at the 2014-2015 Gems forum, it gives somewhat an insight as to what the current folks went through.
Like you I am taking the MCAT this year and applying to the Feb 2015 cycle.
Best of Luck!

I plan to apply to. Need to do the MCAT, and submit AMCAS application though (this summer). And of course apply in February 2015. Good luck to you all.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm considering this program.
I have cGPA of 3.49 and sGPA of 3.29, with MCAT of 31 (and retake of 30)
Are my stats too high for this program?

Also, if I am Hispanic, but not mainland Puerto Rican or Mexican-American, am I still considered "disadvantaged" as per their mission statement?

Disadvantaged is different from URM. People who are white/asian can be disadvantaged if they grew up on food stamps and poor and in a community without access to good healthcare a good chunk of their lives. Other Hispanics (ie People from/family from Cuba) may not be considered URM because they are not underrepresented in terms of population of them.
But long story short yes you can be disadvantaged however if you are a rising senior now (or have a year left in school/live in a place where college is relatively cheap like New Mexico or Florida) just take classes to bring up sGPA to 3.3is and cgpa over 3.5, have good ecs and clinical experience and just outright apply to MD/DO schools

Hi guys, I am a former GEMS and current Orthopaedic Surgery resident. Please feel free to send questions my way and I will try and get back to you ASAP

----------------------------------------------------
Follow me at:
facebook.com/awebbmd
antoniowebbmd.wordpress.com

Hey so I plan on applying this cycle as well. On the website it says you have to submit an AMCAS application. My advisor told me that if I haven't applied to medical school yet I don't have to submit an AMCAS app. I was told that on the GEMS application there is another option for those who haven't filled an AMCAS app. Does anyone know if this is true or not?

I think you have to submit an AMCAS application (by the dates listed on the website), and apply to at least one Medical school to be able to apply to GEMS in February 2015.

Wow so Im just now realizing that GT's SMP and this GEMs are 2 different things?! I dont know how I missed this. So the only difference is that one program you get a masters and the other your just taking some MS1 classes? They both have the same linkage? I see that the app is open barely a month so Im assuming they take very few students? I guess Id better add GEMs to my list!

Oh bummer, they don't accept interfolio. So I'd have to hunt down my professors for them to resend my LORs 0_O

Wow so Im just now realizing that GT's SMP and this GEMs are 2 different things?! I dont know how I missed this. So the only difference is that one program you get a masters and the other your just taking some MS1 classes? They both have the same linkage? I see that the app is open barely a month so Im assuming they take very few students? I guess Id better add GEMs to my list!
I read on the website that GEMS has 80% acceptance rate. I don't think GT's SMP's acceptance rate is as high. But perhaps a current/past GEMS student can comment. Also I think the mission of the two programs is very different. Perhaps someone with more knowledge can also comment on the class size. But I believe it's pretty small as well.

I read on the website that GEMS has 80% acceptance rate. I don't think GT's SMP's acceptance rate is as high. But perhaps a current/past GEMS student can comment. Also I think the mission of the two programs is very different. Perhaps someone with more knowledge can also comment on the class size. But I believe it's pretty small as well.

SMP students are students (not necessarily disadvantaged or minority) who complete a Masters in Physiology over the year. Acceptance rate is not as high. Class size is about 200

GEMS students are students from diverse backgrounds who are thought to be at an disadvantage and receive a certificate at the completion of the year.
Acceptance rate varies by year (70-80%). Class size is 18-24/yr

================
www.amazon.com/author/antoniowebbmd
Like my page at: facebook.com/awebbmd
www.antoniowebbmd.com

Last edited:
Hey guys,
Does anyone know if there is a way to get out of having to submit an AMCAS application in order to apply to this program? I'm not anywhere near ready to apply to actual medical schools (stats wise) and don't want to be considered a re-applicant when I do.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey everyone,

I did the GEMS program in 2009 and if I had to do it all over again, would def do it. It changed the way I studied, took exams and ultimately set me up for success in medical school.
Email me if you have any questions

Antonio Webb, M.D.
Orthopedic Surgery Resident | Author | Motivational Speaker

Hey guys,
Does anyone know if there is a way to get out of having to submit an AMCAS application in order to apply to this program? I'm not anywhere near ready to apply to actual medical schools (stats wise) and don't want to be considered a re-applicant when I do.

Yes, you have to submit an AMCAS application before applying. No way around it

Antonio Webb, M.D.
Orthopedic Surgery Resident | Author | Motivational Speaker

I think that for the reapplication hurting you it's the school you actually apply to not overall reapplicant(unless you got in somewhere) so maybe just apply to Georgetown and no other schools

applying here as well. Just to get things in check, do we need to submit a separate LOR packet and transcripts if we already had them sent to AMCAS? Also, how would I go about getting a fee-waiver for the application, if I qualified for FAP?

Does anyone know if the admissions process is rolling? The information isn't very consistent...

So I think I remember reading that ~70% of people that complete gems get into Gtown med school, is there roughly a certain GPA MCAT they are looking for after the GEMS program? Is the GPA for evaluation to get into Gtown MES school only from the GEMS classes, or does it also include undergrad GPA too?

Does anyone know if 1 quarter of biochem would suffice? Or would I need to take 2 quarters to be able to apply?

Last edited:
applying here as well. Just to get things in check, do we need to submit a separate LOR packet and transcripts if we already had them sent to AMCAS? Also, how would I go about getting a fee-waiver for the application, if I qualified for FAP?

Last cycle required you to have your recommenders submit a GEMS online app. letters were not accepted, interfolio acmas or directly sent included. I cant remember if transcripts needed to be sent but when the application opens it will tell you.

FAP does not apply when paying for the GEMS application. Its only for AAMC. But you can email and ask...

Does GEMS program give you a better chance getting into med school?

It says that the application would be open today 2/15/15 but I can't seem to find the link anywhere? Has anyone found it?

Same here. What time was it supposed to open?

Just submitted my application! Good luck to everyone who has submitted or submitting soon. :)

My application is under review I'm nervous

Congrats! If you don't mind sharing when did you submit your app? Mine just says "Submitted" under application status.

My Mar-8 (submitted) Mar-13 (under review)

Oh no! I thought they didnt review till after the deadline.

So in the past threads it seems like they got the interview calls around April 11th, then the rejection letters came by April 15th. Looks like we'll be waiting for a few weeks!

I just submitted mine 2 days ago. Did anyone get a complete card or a complete email after submitting their application? Apparently in the past they have done that?

So in the past threads it seems like they got the interview calls around April 11th, then the rejection letters came by April 15th. Looks like we'll be waiting for a few weeks!

I just submitted mine 2 days ago. Did anyone get a complete card or a complete email after submitting their application? Apparently in the past they have done that?
Yes I received one

I received an email stating I had submitted successfully but my transcript hasn't been received yet (I think). I haven't been notified that my applica time on is being reviewed.

Any current GEMS students want to talk about any positive or negative parts of their experience?

Also, I'm getting kind of nervous because I submitted on 3/21 and I just want to make sure they have everything by the deadline, which I know they do. Except I won't be satisfied until I get a complete email.

Is there anyone besides love4many that has their application under review and not submitted? Mine still says submitted.

mine says submitted. I e-mailed them to make sure they got my transcript, which they have. Complete since March 23, it says submitted.

Same. I emailed and asked. They verified my application as complete but mine still states "submitted"

Submitted today!! phewww... Now let the waiting begin...

When did they say we're supposed to hear back for interviews again?

Also, I'm getting kind of nervous because I submitted on 3/21 and I just want to make sure they have everything by the deadline, which I know they do. Except I won't be satisfied until I get a complete email.

+1