Georgetown 2008 GEMS Program

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Holy Spirit

Holy Spirit
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know a current or former GEMS student who is willing to answer questions?

Members don't see this ad.

Hey Holy Spirit

There is another forum the official GEMS one i guess that answers a lot of GEMS questions that you may have- It is for those underrepresented in healthcare and from disadvantaged backgrounds. Maybe we could leave this forum to anyone who is applying to GEMS 2008-2009 , just like myself! This forum can be about questions regarding admissions questions, applications, prereqs etc.... the applications are available tomorrow so i will definitely get my app materials in as soon as possible. Good luck to anyone applying out there. :cool:

Is the forum on here or another site?

Members don't see this ad :)
Let's start the new forum here. List any questions, concerns, and or comments about GEMS 2008 or the GEMS program in general.

I'm look at the GEMS program, but I have ran into a problem. The application is a pdf file as some of you may already know, I saved it to my hard drive but I can not fill in the fields on the application. Do I have to print it out and then enter all that information in pen?

Please let me know if there is an alternative to the above.

I think so because I cannot fill it out either on my computer. I will just use nice black ink and write very neatly. There is not TOO much stuff on there, just little sentences here and there with the exception of the two essays at the end (but one is only 150 words anyway). I think that is the best option.

I also have a question for anyone that knows about GEMS. I am getting my masters in Biology and would like to do this program. I graduate in May 2009. Would i be applying in 2009 or is this one of those programs that requires you to apply a year early?

I also have a question for anyone that knows about GEMS. I am getting my masters in Biology and would like to do this program. I graduate in May 2009. Would i be applying in 2009 or is this one of those programs that requires you to apply a year early?

The year you apply is the same year you start the program so you would apply in Feb of 2009.

if you have adobe professional you can put textboxes into it and then type in it that way. that's what my husband did for me because my handwriting is not the best.

I just have the free adobe, so no go for me. Good thing for your hubby though...it probably kept you from a hand cramp or two trying to write extra neat!!!

oh...how rude of me?!?! if anyone wants a copy of the writable form, I can email it to you. Just email [email protected]. Please no spam though!

does anyone know what the pre-medical packet is? I was looking over the checklist and I came across it.

A premedical packet is a standard letter that a pre-medical committee will establish for a medical- school seeking applicant. Usually these packets are a summation of several recommendations from different professors. Thus, if you submit one, it takes the place of submitting 2 or 3 separate recommendations. Anyways, find out if your school has one, and if so then that is probably easier than getting several profs to fill out recs. Anyways my school doesn't have a pre-med committee so i am doing it the old fashioned way. :/ Good luck.

PEAce---

Members don't see this ad :)
I went through the GEMS program and now I am a med student at Georgetown. I am happy to answer any questions about the program.

Is the GEMS program only for Medical School?
Do they accept those interested in Dental school?

Thank you

Thank you

I believe GEMS is designed for medical school only. As the program suggested, it is experimental for soon-to-be medical students. That is why they require a verified AMCAS application.

Thank you
Like alan06 said, GEMS is for future med students. I don't know anyone that went to dental school after finishing the GEMS program.

Thanks for the help wjdd!

Do students apply to other medical schools during the program?
Are you required to go to Georgetown after successful completion of the program?

Like alan06 said, GEMS is for future med students. I don't know anyone that went to dental school after finishing the GEMS program.

Thank you

Anyone submitted their application for this program?

Are you required to go to Georgetown after successful completion of the program?

You're not required to go to Georgetown but I assume it easier to get in than at any other school...just because you're already acquainted with the university and faculty.

And I sent in my application last monday. Overzealous I know!

You are not required to go to Georgetown. But everyone that are accepted to Georgetown Med School are here. Although a lot of people do apply to other med schools during their GEMS year, it is hard for them to get into the other school because you have to submit your application to AMCAS before Dec. and at that point there isn't a lot of changes to the application you filled out a year ago.

@Lefteye770:

Me too! I'm anxiously waiting for a reply of some sort. I sent in my application on 02/16. I hope to see you in person! :D

Anyone know how to speak to someone in the GEMS office? i have called, during business hours, and there is an automated system, but no option to speak to someone directly.

Anyone know how to speak to someone in the GEMS office? i have called, during business hours, and there is an automated system, but no option to speak to someone directly.

i've called numerous times. everytime i call, it's the same automated system.

quick question to any former/current/applying GEMS students. how did you guys answered the "disadvantage" question? how did you phrase it so that it does not seem to needy?

I was just about to post on that same topic. How can her voicemail be full!?!?! Does anyone know if there is another number we can call to check our status?

ETA: I got through!! (It's 3:19 now). Apparently a lot of people called over the weekend?

If accepted to start in Fall 08, do you then apply right away to med school and if accepted to the SOM enter into the Fall 09 class or have another year off?

If accepted to start in Fall 08, do you then apply right away to med school and if accepted to the SOM enter into the Fall 09 class or have another year off?
You apply to med school right away. Once you get to Georgetown in July, there will be a special session to give you instructions on how to apply to Georgetown Med as a GEMS student.

Does your credit score have any affect on the GEMS admission. If not, then why do they ask about it. :rolleyes:

i don't think your credit score per se has an affect...i think they just ask for it so that both you and the school have a realistic idea of whether you can pay the tuition. Like, if your score is bad than you might not be able to get the necessary loan money...so...it's just a reality check for you and Georgetown..

just my thoughts

Thanks Lefteye

I for one have to say that this forum has been extremely helpful in the application process. Hopefully we all make it into the program.

I am complete for Gems....got a post card stating so. Now, more praying :)

I'm just waiting one letter of rec. the professor hasn't even started on it but she assured me she'd have it out next week. That frustrates me since I had everything else turned in so frickin early. Oh welll.

I started a new thread for GEMS people..so we could get to know eachother before the programs started. Check it out if you haven't already.
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=499310

Hey SDNers,

Does anyone have any advice on how to prepare for this program? I'm seriously considering applying there in a couple of years.

Application sent! Now the waiting and praying begins...:rolleyes:...hopefully i get an interview...<fingers crossed>

nzik---here is some advice....if you have 2 years left before you apply to the program, and if you are still in college i would suggest maybe trying to finish college very strongly and seeing if you can get into medical school first. GEMS requires that an AMCAS be sent and validated anyways (so it wouldnt hurt ). Also, if you havent taken the MCAT, then you will need to take that too and see how you do (GEMS also requires that you take the MCAT to apply). So, first off i would do all of these things 1) see if you can get into medical school first (AMCAS) 2.) take or re-take the MCAT ( i personally have taken it twice) 3.) finish up strong in college and see if you can forego the GEMS route and possibly get into medical school first.

BUT... if you are a non-traditional applicant, (e.g. graduated from college and worked for a bit) then i guess that advice does not apply to you! Good luck--also if you have more specific questions about GEMS i would address wjdd--and some otherson here who have been in the program...( i really want to be in and maybe i can have better advice if i get in) Enough of my rambling...hope that helps. GL everyone

ahhh help!

I just got a postcard from GEMS saying that my app was incomplete because I was missing my transcript...on the checklist it doesn't mention a transcript anywhere..and I know for a fact that they got my AMCAS..

do they need a copy of my official up to date transcript? or is the AMCAS what they were referring to?

oh.... i didnt send my transcripts either. like you, i was under the impression that all they asked for was the AMCAS application.
im gonna call them tomorrow.
thanks for the heads up

This is weird I was just about to talk about the transcripts. I too check the checklist and there is no mention of a transcript. They only speak of transcripts in the information letter. Please if anyone has any information on the whole transcripts thing let all of us know.

Ok guys---

This is why i am so stumped on this whole transcript thing.
About 1 week ago , i called Joy Williams and asked her the same question, since naturally i did not see transcripts listed anywhere, except in the information letter. Ms. Williams said to me that they will ask for the transcripts later on in the admissions cycle if they grant you an interview, or something like that....however, i was NOT told that we needed transcripts at the initial application process before interviews. The only thing that i can think of is that they want to see how you did last semester in your classes, being that all of us who filed AMCASs last semester had not had our fall:( grades then. BUT i am still confused, sorry if i confused anyone else. I will call them tomorrow again to make sure.

Anyone else know anything about this?

Application sent! Now the waiting and praying begins...:rolleyes:...hopefully i get an interview...<fingers crossed>

nzik---here is some advice....if you have 2 years left before you apply to the program, and if you are still in college i would suggest maybe trying to finish college very strongly and seeing if you can get into medical school first. GEMS requires that an AMCAS be sent and validated anyways (so it wouldnt hurt ). Also, if you havent taken the MCAT, then you will need to take that too and see how you do (GEMS also requires that you take the MCAT to apply). So, first off i would do all of these things 1) see if you can get into medical school first (AMCAS) 2.) take or re-take the MCAT ( i personally have taken it twice) 3.) finish up strong in college and see if you can forego the GEMS route and possibly get into medical school first.

BUT... if you are a non-traditional applicant, (e.g. graduated from college and worked for a bit) then i guess that advice does not apply to you! Good luck--also if you have more specific questions about GEMS i would address wjdd--and some otherson here who have been in the program...( i really want to be in and maybe i can have better advice if i get in) Enough of my rambling...hope that helps. GL everyone

Hey miggs22,

Thanks for the advice. Guess I was getting ahead of myself there; I am a traditional applicant but i pretty much screwed up my first couple of semesters and i was looking forward to GEMS in case I was not competitive enough for getting straight into med school. I'm going to try to pull out strongly in my last two years, but i still will seriously consider GEMS. I really like Georgetown's medical school and I think GEMS is a good way to get there.

That is strange about the transcripts because I just sent in everything on the check list and I am complete. However, I graduate college already and had all my complete grades on my amcas. Maybe they are asking for recent transcripts from the people who are still in school???? That is the only thing I can think of!

Hi everybody,
I'm a junior/sophomore who will graduate in 2010. I had a terrible first 2 years in college and am trying to repair the damage.
My question is what exactly does the school mean by "disadvantaged"? I don't know if I qualify. I've never lived in poverty and both of my parents are college educated.
Any help is appreciated. Thanks.
(I am a URM)

hey you guys...I called up GEMS and she told me that it was a mistake on her part and that the transcript wasn't required until they asked for it. whew!

Im applying as well I sent in everything just in case. I got a post card saying my file was complete. Does any one else know when we get any word?

require a verified AMCAS application? how did you guys go about getting that sent to the GEMS program?

You have to have applied for medical school this past year (AMCAS 2007 for 2008 matricalation) in order to have a verified AMCAS.

Oh, and you just print it off and send it to them. They can tell if it's verified because AMCAS marks everything under your classes and calculates your GPAs.

I'm having a hard time getting a hold of anyone at GEMS. I wanted to find out more about this whole transcript shenanigans. I've tried 202-687-1406 number.

when i talked to the woman at GEMS she says you don't have to send the transcripts in. they will ask for those later...i think at the interview or something