Georgetown 2008 GEMS Program

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Well I guess its time for me to say congrats Sarah. Do it big, girl:thumbup:

Members don't see this ad.

hi guys:

I just received an invite for an interview. They called during my lunch break...perfect timing or else I would have missed the call in the lab. Anyway, I sent in my application on March 24 and received a post card indicating my file was complete as of 4/2...I'm surprised how fast they are reviewing the application. For those still waiting, I'm sure they will call you soon...keep hope alive.

Congratz to everyone that has recieved interviews. I interviewed with gems last year and am available for questions

Members don't see this ad :)
aloha!

for those who got an interview, did you get to pick which day to go? Anyhow G'luck to everyone~!! :)

I got an interview invite on Friday. I did not have the option of choosing which interview date, but I'm from out of town.

Thanks for the heads up about Hotel Rouge. I'm definitely going to check this out. Good Luck to all those waiting to hear back!!!

Hi all:

I was wondering if any of you guys know which airport in DC to use flying from cali. Also, does anyone know the admissions address where we suppose to show up to the interview. I'm trying to book for airplane ticket right now. This information would be so helpful. Thanks!

There are actually two airports serving DC. Dulles Airport is the bigger airport BUT its about 45 min drive from Georgetown. Reagan National is the smaller one but its only a 10-15 min drive down the Potomac River from Georgetown. I already went ahead and booked tickets for Reagan National since its much closer and I don't have to pay as much for taxi/shuttles. I'm broke as a joke as it is. :D

As for where it is, that info should be in that mail Dean Williams sent/will send to you. I just got the mail today. Good luck buying tickets btw. They just went up like $50 from last night alone!

Congrats to everyone getting interviews! And hang tight if you haven't gotten the call just yet, I know they are coming for you!!! It is still SO early in the process, so don't give up hope!!!!

YES, there are two airports that serve the area. Reagan National is METRO accessible, so you can catch the train into the city for probably a few bucks. DULLES is farther away, but you can catch a SuperShuttle into the city for probably $25 dollars. So, just see which airport you can get a flight into for cheaper than a $50 dollar difference ($25 both ways) and fly into Dulles. If the prices are about the same, then it is more convenient to fly into Reagan.

Hope that helps.

KEEP HOPE ALIVE EVERYONE ELSE!!!! really, you should :)

Hi Everyone:

I just got the call for an interview on May 5th from a Mr. Taylor.

Keep those prayers going up for everyone else because obviously they are still working through files for interview, and your file is next!:)

If any of you are from New York or New Jersey tehn you can take the "Chinatown Bus" to D.C for $30 round trip.

http://www.staticleap.com/chinatownbus/ for more information.

There are numerous bus companies that cater to budget travelers, so make sure you find the one with the best price. Hope that helps!:D

There is a bus that can take you from Dulles Airport and connect you with the metro system... i think it is like $9.

Congratz to everyone that has recieved interviews. I interviewed with gems last year and am available for questions

Hi-

Just wanted to get some info about interview day from those who went through it last year (Capricious1984).
What kind of questions will they ask, what should I bring with me in terms of papers, etc., that kind of stuff.

Thanks and good luck to everybody!

Members don't see this ad :)
When they called, did they ask you which date you wanted or did they assign you a date?

has any one been assigned the may 5th interview date? or are they filling up the april spots first?

I didn't get to pick a day, but I received a letter in the mail. My interview will be on the 21st. Anyone else going that day? I'm real nervous-- ! I hope they do some sort of icebreaker, i'd love to meet you all =)

I checked out the campus-- there's no Metro Stop directly to Georgetown University but there is one for every other University in DC! :( anyhow the campus looks really nice.. i hope to get in!

I did have the option to pick a date. Dr. Williams asked me to book my flight according to my availability and to get back to her with my choice. I picked april 21st.

the GUTS system is free for GT students and people with business on the GT campus (like an interview). it connects with the Metro system at the Dupont circle stop with access to the Dulles airport (Red line + Washington Flyer Coach) and to the Rosslyn stop with access to The Ronald Reagan airport (Blue line)

http://otm.georgetown.edu/guts/
http://www.wmata.com/metrorail/systemmap.cfm
http://www.washfly.com/flyer_bus_about.htm

I didn't get to pick a day, but I received a letter in the mail. My interview will be on the 21st. Anyone else going that day? I'm real nervous-- ! I hope they do some sort of icebreaker, i'd love to meet you all =)

I checked out the campus-- there's no Metro Stop directly to Georgetown University but there is one for every other University in DC! :( anyhow the campus looks really nice.. i hope to get in!

I'll be there on the 21st. I hope to meet you all then!

Anyone else going to the May 5th interview? It should be interesting to match you guys in person with your SDN alter-egos! :D

Hi all,

I just learned about this service. I too am applying to the GEMS program this year but have not heard back from the admissions people yet. Is there still hope left or have the majority of you recieved your interview dates already? CONGRATS TO THOSE OF YOU WHO DID!!!!! :)

See you guys on the 21st :)

From what I recall and my understanding, she said interview dates are based on locations, so if u have to fly in, you get to choose, but if u are from the NYC, DC area, u get assigned a date because of flexibility.

Applications are reviewed after everyone has interviewed. ANyone interviewing from the NYC area please PM me. Maybe we could commute together

Does anyone know what % of applicants got an interview THIS year? and what % of those interviewed will get a spot? I hope we have a good chance of getting accepted!! the 21st is coming up soo quickly-- yikes!

so i'm told to go to SW 107? is that a room number or a building #? Do we just go to the main medical building? anyone know? thnx

Any suggestions on what interviewees should be sure and know for the "testing? Is the format multiple choice ir short answer?

Does anyone know what % of applicants got an interview THIS year? and what % of those interviewed will get a spot? I hope we have a good chance of getting accepted!! the 21st is coming up soo quickly-- yikes!

so i'm told to go to SW 107? is that a room number or a building #? Do we just go to the main medical building? anyone know? thnx
SW 107 is on the 1st floor of the Med-Dent building (the main medical building). If you enter from the main entrance (facing the street ), take the right hall way after you enter the building and go all the way down. SW 107 is at then end of the last hall way on your right. I am sure you will see signs.

Any suggestions on what interviewees should be sure and know for the "testing? Is the format multiple choice ir short answer?
The questions will be multiple choice/short answer/calculation problems. You really don't need to prepare for those exams, esp. if you just took the MCAT. I didn't prepare for the exams and I am still here !...Good luck everyone!

Good Luck Everyone. Be on your toes, and by all means be and do what comes natural to you. (Hey that rhymed, maybe Ill start writing hallmark cards for a living :)

Thanks for all your help 'n support Capricious1984! By any luck, i'll be joining u this summer! =)

Good Luck to everyone this upcoming Monday as well as the 5th. I just have a quick question if anyone has any idea, Is the GEMS program done with sending out interview invites? I hope not, but have no idea

Good luck to everyone interviewing tomorrow! Come back and tell us how it went! :)

The interviews are well underway by now... Good luck to those interviewing today!! Come back and let us know how it is. I'll be up there on the 5th; anyone else up there on that date?

:oops:For those of u who are having an interview on May 5th: Congrats! and g'luck...

relax, stay alert, be yourself

u have interviews w. 2 random people: someone from admissions comm./faculty(doctors)/4th year students although we didn't get 4th years because they were all busy w/ school Most people will get someone different

Test: Know your sciences, i can't say which one cuz it was seriously everything.. Ahhh-- they say it doesn't count but I don't know? it was 60 ?'s in an hour mult. choice, and a short essay in the end (don't panic) g'luck!

Anyhow I'm anxiously waiting on the big decision at this point... :oops:

Thanks for the heads up Aloha! We'll defintely keep those tips in mind for the 5th. Random thought: did you guys meet anyone from SDN in person? Catch y'all in two weeks!

PS. Anyone down for some margaritas after our Cinco De Mayo interview!? :laugh: My flight back home won't be till' the morning after so might as well check out the city and socialize while we're there, eh? Just to put it out there. hahaha.:D

I'm super jealous Wicked... I've got a final the next day at 8am. So back on my flight I go, with study guides and notecards. Besides that, I'm looking forward to meeting you guys!

sounds like a plan wicked.:D

for the people who've had an interview, how was the dress code for men? did all the men wear suits?

what happened to this thread? Anyone going may 5th? Can you PM me

sounds like a plan wicked.:D

for the people who've had an interview, how was the dress code for men? did all the men wear suits?

Most definitely wear a suit. It is a professional interview for a post-graduate program.

Good luck May folks! I can't wait until the end of this month to see if we get in. I am anxious!!!

When does the class start anyway? anyone knows the date?

I think the start date is July 9th? Is there a special orientation? I heard we get back decisions on May 31st-- that's a saturday, do u think Ms.Joy/ or Mr. Taylor will be calling us?

Well May 5thers, how did it go? How many of you were there? There were 21 of us on April 21st.

It was great. I loved Georgetown and everyone was awesome including the current applicants, former GEMS, Dean Williams and Mr. Taylor. I had 1 good interview, but my second one i got no reading from. Anyways, i hope that everyone's interviews/ learning sessions went well. Let's all pray for good news on May 30ish. Oh there were 21 of us there. Mr. Taylor said they accept about 30 people...so we have good odds peeps 30/42 x 100= 71% :). Hopefully i'll meet you all soon! Peace and God bless.

On April 21st, most of us were from outta state-- out of curiosity, for u guys who went on May 5th-- was it mostly locals? or a good mix?

maybe we will hear back before the 31st of may... *fingers crossed*:luck:

@aloha1284

the breakdown of interviewees were ...

California: 7
Georgia: 4
Virginia/ D.C. "locals": 4
Florida: 2
Connecticut: 1
NC: 1
NY:1
Pennsylvania: 1

It was a good mix, but those West Coasters were reppin'

Omigosh, I want to be in the 71% SOOOO bad. Please please please please....

But 71% is actually a pretty good chance. I guess getting an interview was the biggest hurdle.

Everyone was great on the interview day. I met some from sdn and I'm sure some of you guys can guess who I am. Can't wait for the end of this month to know if we get in or not. FL was great t:)oo!

Are you AT, who loves tennis? hahaha, I still remember bits and pieces from our icebreaker in the beginning. I actually didn't meet anyone in person from SDN in retrospect but I can kinda tell now who's who from their posts. Here's to waiting for some good news before the end of the month yo! :cool: