Georgetown 2008 GEMS Program

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hey Angie:

To relieve (hopefully) some of your nerves, the calls for interviews last year were indeed made the Monday after the deadline, but you have to look at the date...which was April 2 last year and this year, this is today (a wednesday). So i think that maybe you could see today as the reasonable "start" date for receiving calls. Anyways, lets stay calm peeps, everything will work out in the end. Just got to have faith in the power upstairs.God bless. :cool:

Members don't see this ad.

wow.. what are the chances of me starting page 3 of this thread just like i started page 2? Haha. word.

:) Just want you all to know that I'm a constant refresher as well. At least we are all getting better at posting so that people can be entertained at work while bitting their nails. Any who's i'm off to happy hour. Have great evening everyone. I'll be sure to check the forum when I get home :)

Members don't see this ad :)
If anyone from NYC area gets an interview on the same date as me. Lets organize some kind of ride share, we can save money for textbooks, split feul costs, and save the Ozone. :love:

I'm a constant refresher too! I'm also from the DC area so if anyone needs advice on a place to stay or things to do let me know! :)

Hello all,
So I am in a bit of a dilemma, I sent in my application on time and everything, send my recommendors the respective forms, well it seems that one of the recommendors package got lost in the mail (I sent the package 3/13) and I just found out yesterday because the GEMS program sent me a postcard saying my application was incomplete and it is close to being discarded. The website has since shut off all of the application materials, does anyone have a application saved to a file with the recommendation form on it, that I can send to my professor. I WOULD BE FOREVER IN DEBT TO YOU.
My email is [email protected].

Thank you all for your help,

Hello all,
So I am in a bit of a dilemma, I sent in my application on time and everything, send my recommendors the respective forms, well it seems that one of the recommendors package got lost in the mail (I sent the package 3/13) and I just found out yesterday because the GEMS program sent me a postcard saying my application was incomplete and it is close to being discarded. The website has since shut off all of the application materials, does anyone have a application saved to a file with the recommendation form on it, that I can send to my professor. I WOULD BE FOREVER IN DEBT TO YOU.
My email is [email protected].

Thank you all for your help,

Sure I have one still saved, I'll send it to you!!
And just to add to what everyone else is saying, I am also a constant refresher lol!!

Sure I have one still saved, I'll send it to you!!
And just to add to what everyone else is saying, I am also a constant refresher lol!!

Thank you for the email that is very kind of you, I am sorry I did not make it clear is that I need the recommendation from that is given to the professors. that is what got lost in the mail, sorry for not being clear, but however, thank you for the quick response and email.

Best of Luck

I have it saved...Hope that's the one you're looking for. :)

hey, I have almost all the info saved on my computer, so I tried sending you a copy just now, let me know if it doesn't go through, ok?
cheers!

Just so we all have some peace of mind, I was reading the GEMS Website and they stated that they will be receiving applications postmarked on the 28th until April 4th, So I'm guessing we shouldn't be expecting any calls until tomorrow or early next week. J

I know I saw that too, but I guess I just wanted to know something soon, especially after reading last years thread! So maybe next week? Best Wishes!!

Thank you to all of you for everything and the help, I got the recommendation form from a number of you. Thank does not seem to be enough, I am hoping now the GEMS program will accept my application, through all of this fiasco.

Thank you for your time and help
All the best

Members don't see this ad :)
random: I think the times listed for this might be a little off.... unless you actually went back in time and replied. ;) also, even though I'm really anxious to find out, I have to admit that I wasn't on here at 6am today ;) haha. :p

right-O!! :)

thanks, lefteye770. now it all appears correctly. Haha, I didn't know there was so much to this website! so many options....

random: I think the times listed for this might be a little off.... unless you actually went back in time and replied. ;) also, even though I'm really anxious to find out, I have to admit that I wasn't on here at 6am today ;) haha. :p

my times are fine..i think you need to go into your options and change your default time zone... :)

i'm really glad we have this thread. at least we all know what is going on about the calls. if it wasn't for this thread right now i would be hairless.:)

i had this weird thought, what if we were among the 30-40% of applicants who were not called for an interview?:eek:
:laugh::laugh:
but seriously, this forum is great. here is to one more day of waiting.

i'm really glad we have this thread. at least we all know what is going on about the calls. if it wasn't for this thread right now i would be hairless.:)

i had this weird thought, what if we were among the 30-40% of applicants who were not called for an interview?:eek:

hahah... I sure hope not. I have a feeling that they received a LOT more applications than expected this year. Given just the increase in applicants for med schools this year alone, I wouldn't be surprised that a lot of applications for the program came in too. Thus, the "extension" of postmarked material consideration, and longer wait. :( But I feel you guys on the wait! I feel ridiculous lugging my phone around with me EVERYWHERE just waiting for a call. :D Oh well, the wait resumes. Y'all keep us posted now. :cool:

lol I don't really think that's possible!! Positive Happy thoughts only! :D

How much time are we given to make a decision if we are accepted to the program?

omg i was thinkig the same thing but was afraid to say anything... then i told my husband that it can't be possible that none of us got in...and you know what he said?!?! he said "well, if only x number of people are on SDN and only X number of people get into the program it actually very likely"... thanks honey!

looks like it's going to be Monday... *sigh*

2.5 more days.

in less than 24hrs we should all have received a phone for the GEMS committee.:D

when the time comes and people get interview invites already but too shy to post (shame on you!... hahaha), can you PM me please ASAP. i got a question about it just in case so i can plan accordingly! anxiety sure is making me grow gray hair already. :eek:

This is worst than waiting for medical school replies, because with GEMS we know that all calls have to come next week to allow appropriate travel arrangements for candidates...ahhh!

I know this has been stated in the previous post, but what if its true and people who are not on SDN have started to receive calls. I don't know, this whole process is killing me. I'm hopeful for tomorrow cause the first interview date (4/21) is in two weeks.:(

I hope that's not the case and given the number of active posters in this thread shows that we should have at least one who will receive a call from adcom. Don't despair! :)

Hey fellow GEMS applicants

Just a little heads up, calls are already being made. I heard last Friday, the 4th.

Good luck to you all.

Hi effwun,

just curious what are your stats like?

Hi Effwun,

When did they cash your check? Perhaps, you can pull it up from your online banking.

As a matter of fact, why don't we post the time they cashed our checks. Maybe we can devise a prediction based on when they looked at our apps.

My check was cashed on 04/07 @ 2:48PM

I think you all should calm down and be patient. It will not make the admissions office call you any faster by worrying. Good luck to you all, but chill out.

doctomistic - my stats...GPA is near the average for the program, but with a higher 'upward trend'. my mcat score is a few points higher than the average.

rca420 - i have no idea when the check was cashed. one of my LORs got there late so my app wasn't even complete until a few days before the deadline.

To everyone waiting for a call...as Conan would say 'Be cool my babies!'. I kinda doubt they make all of the calls in the first couple days.

Congrats to effwun
I guess now its time to start looking forward to calls.

:hardy: Congratulations Effwun, I guess it's just a matter of waiting now...

I don't agree with that at all. I think everyone is just sitting and waiting to see what happens. I think those that had posted before would have been courteous enough to let us know if the had indeed received a call for an interview. I spoke with my friend who is an M2 at Georgetown and a past Gem. He was told that they had stopped accepting applications on the 4th (as someone previously speculated) and were actually reviewing them/meeting this week. He also said that he was surprised that people were getting calls because they had initally planned to call people after all files were reviewed. Regardless, I think everyone still has a good chance of getting an interview. A lot of people in the thread have applied to other similar programs with stricter requirements and have gotten interviews so I think we all should be patient and optomistic. I'm not saying you can't freak out in the privacy of your own home but lets keep this thread positive and before you know it, our phones will be ringing off the hook. Good luck everyone. :)

:D Thank you Loudentl! I agree with you, we should keep this thread positive! So let's not lose hope!:luck:

I think they are waiting on Personal Checks to Clear. So if your online bank says that it was deposited on April 7th. Allow 2-3 days. Latest Thursday, all checks will be cleared, and by then they can proceed to invite. Money orders were probably received as cash and those candidates got their phone calls earlier.

I seriously doubt that admissions committees wait for checks to clear before evaluating an applicant. But be patient, if the 1st interviews are a couple weeks away, then phone calls should start ringing.

Loudntl who is your friend that is an M2 at georgetown?

Well considering the deadline has passed I assume anyone who is reading this knows about the process.

My situation is as follows. I submitted all the materials for the application on time, received the post-card indicating nothing was incomplete. Then today I received notification they could not review my application because the AMCAS application was not submitted officially. This would be fine if this were my error. However since this is my first time applying to a program I have not applied to medical school yet. Interestingly enough, after a certain date you cannot select medical schools to send you application to. Without completing this section the online application cannot be submitted "officially". However I printed out the pdf version of the application which had been filled out completely.

I will be calling them tomorrow to find out what I can do to remedy this, but what suggestions do you all have?

I feel misled that printing this out was sufficient given that I sent all my materials in on time as directed. This small clerical issue should not prevent me from being considered.

Thanks for the input!

Hey there:

I hope that i can clear this up for you. GEMS assumes that you have applied to medical school for the Fall of 2008. Thus everyone that applied to GEMS this year had their AMCAS verified and validated before the deadline which was November 1 of 2007. Based on the GEMS brochure "All applicants to the GEMS Program must be seeking admission to medical school when they apply to GEMS and present Medical College Admission Testscores at the time of application." This statement is important to the GEMS program because it shows them that you are serious about getting into medical school.

Also, on the application checklist they state that they need "The validated/verified copy of your 2008 AMCAS application, all of the pages. When your application has been validated/verified the columns on the academic record, which are for AMCAS use only, will be filled." This seems reasonable because they assume that we all applied to medical school for admission in the Fall of 2008. These are the rules for GEMS and it probably is one of their ways to validate this
program.

On a logistics note, the AMCAS service becomes available on June 1st and lasts until Novemeber 1st of each year. Thus, there is indeed a period of time from Nov-May that AMCAS is only on a fill in only basis, but not submit basis, (which makes sense, since medical schools need time to send out secondaries and interview, choose the incoming class etc..). So i am assuming that you filled in AMCAS for admission to Med school in Fall of 2009.

I am sorry if this is disheartening but hopefully i cleared up some things for you...

Thanks,

Unfortunately these specifics were never made clear to me through talking with the GEMS staff. I will just have to wait until the next application cycle [1 year from now :(] if the other programs do not work out.

So rather than being proactive and trying to make yourself more competitive, this program acts as a last resort for those who do not get in and then need to do the same. This is not a perspective I considered. Thank you for your response, it was helpful.

I got an interview invite today by phone. Apparently they are still processing and reviewing MANY applications, so don't freak out if you haven't been contacted yet.

Just to predict some questions....
I was complete on February 17th
Also, I don't know when my check was cashed.
My GPA is above the average and mcat is about average.

Good luck to others. Like I said, don't freak out because they really are working hard and still have many applications to go through. In the words of Effwun "be cool my babies".

did they ask you not to post online that you were call?

I got an interview invite today by phone. Apparently they are still processing and reviewing MANY applications, so don't freak out if you haven't been contacted yet.

Good luck to others. Like I said, don't freak out because they really are working hard and still have many applications to go through. In the words of Effwun "be cool my babies".

did they ask you not to post online that you were call?

are you asking him or reminding him? or can it be deduced that you also received a call? interesting:idea:

hey you guys...i got a few pms from some fellow SDNers...just wanted to let you know that I haven't received a call yet .. unfortunately. I've just been waiting by phone hoping for a call. I don't know what my chances are though.... my GPA is significantly low, but my MCAT is above the average, and although I don't have much work/volunteer experience, I own my own health-related non-profit organization... does it sound like i might have a chance to get a call??

btw..sarah..congrats on your interview!

Angie:

I believe they only look at the BCPM GPA (as stated in the brochure and correct me if I'm wrong). When did your application go complete? Good luck to you!

Congrats Sarah! I am also glad to hear that they still have many applications to review! For those of us still waiting good luck, and stay optimistic for the phone calls to come!!