GEMS Georgetown 2009-2010

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
For those of you gunners planning on getting a head start. I would recommend 2-3 books that have worked for me.

1. BRS physiology by Costanzo. You can carry this around for quick reference anytime on key topics or main points.
2. the actual physiology book by Costanzo that goes into a lot more detail than the BRS version. Will be helpful when you're in the modules and trying to figure out why something is. Has more in depth explanations of the key main topics that the BRS version just kinda glosses over.
3. Kaplan USMLE Step 1 review book. (optional). This one has good graphs, charts, pictures of pathways and very good breakdowns of essential topics a person will need to know for boards. I really like the organization of the materials too. Plus, it's never too early to start studying for boards :) and it'll help in FS when Mr. Taylor decides to throw a random curveball question at you.

Don't worry about getting the most recent versions of these books because the information is pretty much the same anyway. You're pretty much paying for a prettier package in the newer versions. Any other stuff you guys should wait on buying till you get here. Hope that helps, laters.

Members don't see this ad.

Ischemic, thank you very much for the info. Someone actually gave me those 2 books last week!!!

For those of you gunners planning on getting a head start. I would recommend 2-3 books that have worked for me.

1. BRS physiology by Costanzo. You can carry this around for quick reference anytime on key topics or main points.
2. the actual physiology book by Costanzo that goes into a lot more detail than the BRS version. Will be helpful when you're in the modules and trying to figure out why something is. Has more in depth explanations of the key main topics that the BRS version just kinda glosses over.
3. Kaplan USMLE Step 1 review book. (optional). This one has good graphs, charts, pictures of pathways and very good breakdowns of essential topics a person will need to know for boards. I really like the organization of the materials too. Plus, it's never too early to start studying for boards :) and it'll help in FS when Mr. Taylor decides to throw a random curveball question at you.

Don't worry about getting the most recent versions of these books because the information is pretty much the same anyway. You're pretty much paying for a prettier package in the newer versions. Any other stuff you guys should wait on buying till you get here. Hope that helps, laters.

Awesome. Downloading ebooks right now.

Members don't see this ad :)
I sent my letter of understanding, credit report and tax statements in yesterday.:)

I know we get award letters for financial aid Mid June but if we anticipate needing additional funds (for living expenses, bills), do we apply for alternative loans now or wait??

Any one have any suggestions on this??

Thanks in advance

If you had 1325 characters to describe how you are a disadvantaged person, how would you approach the essay and what kind of things would you need to mention in there?

someone asked me this and I know a lot of you have disadvantaged status. Therefore I'm curious on your thoughts on this question.

Thanks in advance to anyone who responses to my questions.

although i feel strongly that this is a question that needs to be answered honestly from someone's own, personal experiences, i will offer this advice..whatever you do, DO NOT sound bitter in anything you say!
this will leave the adcoms wondering if you feel like you deserve the opportunity because life was harder for you than for others. just show them how you are better now because of your hardships

Hey Guys,

A quick question: So in GEMS we do not take the MCAT again right and admission to the Med school is based on our performace in GEMS right? So even if we have a low MCAT score, but do well in GEMS we can get into G-town med school right?

Hey Guys,

A quick question: So in GEMS we do not take the MCAT again right and admission to the Med school is based on our performace in GEMS right? So even if we have a low MCAT score, but do well in GEMS we can get into G-town med school right?

that's pretty much it Jam.. showing the GUSOM adcom that you can perform M1 coursework at the same level (or higher) than their first years more than compensates for a low MCAT

If you had 1325 characters to describe how you are a disadvantaged person, how would you approach the essay and what kind of things would you need to mention in there?

someone asked me this and I know a lot of you have disadvantaged status. Therefore I'm curious on your thoughts on this question.

Thanks in advance to anyone who responses to my questions.

Guju, they need to describe how they meet the disadvantaged socio-economic criteria (single parent household, poor area, poor public school system, etc) and how these contributed to the situation which has brought them to needing a program for the disadvantaged.

Yo Webbs, it never hurts to shop around (except for when your credit is run too many times) but from what I understood at the FP session, most students' money needs are matched with low rate fin. aid loans so shopping around independently isnt neccessary..... unless we are speaking of other abnormal costs not factored into the 40K estimate.

although i feel strongly that this is a question that needs to be answered honestly from someone's own, personal experiences, i will offer this advice..whatever you do, DO NOT sound bitter in anything you say!
this will leave the adcoms wondering if you feel like you deserve the opportunity because life was harder for you than for others. just show them how you are better now because of your hardships

I second this. Show them in writing how you have grown despite your disadvantages, focusing on the positives, rather than dwelling on the negative aspects.

) but from what I understood at the FP session, most students' money needs are matched with low rate fin. aid loans so shopping around independently isnt neccessary..... unless we are speaking of other abnormal costs not factored into the 40K estimate.

so i guess this means that i can use the $12,000 per year estimate to look for an apt? because ive been getting frustrated over not knowing exactly how much aid im getting which has slowed down my hunt for housing

so i guess this means that i can use the $12,000 per year estimate to look for an apt? because ive been getting frustrated over not knowing exactly how much aid im getting which has slowed down my hunt for housing

Tachy, yup. I remember Dean Pollock saying that the majority of students living costs are met 100% with credit trouble being the exception.

Tachy, yup. I remember Dean Pollock saying that the majority of students living costs are met 100% with credit trouble being the exception.

so we dont have to apply for the graduate plus loans unless we want to?

Members don't see this ad :)
so we dont have to apply for the graduate plus loans unless we want to?

Right, Tachy. You are under no obligation to take out Plus Grad loans but you likely will have to since the Stafford limit for the GEMS year is $20,500 (12K unsub + 8.5K sub)

For example, I calculated that my total expenses for the GEMS year will be about $33K. I will take out the 20.5K in Stafford and will be taking out 12.5K in Grad Plus (alternative) loans.

Max, your the best....:thumbup:

Thanks for clearing that up. I was a little confused for a second about the whole thing. I calculated my expenses also and it came to around $33k-$35k for the whole year...

Max, your the best....:thumbup:

Thanks for clearing that up. I was a little confused for a second about the whole thing. I calculated my expenses also and it came to around $33k-$35k for the whole year...

np man!:thumbup:

You guys are truly blessed to be accepted into GEMS. My friend did it 2 years ago and he's the happiest med student you'll know.

I was wondering would anyone actually be willing to help sort of guide me with the disadvantaged essay or read what i have written and comment on it? Im actually the person gujudoc was talking about. Im just not sure if im going on the right track here or if im missing the point. Im finding it hard to say everything and say how ive grown from it in just 1325 characters. I also wrote extensively in my personal statement about much of this, especially how ive learned/matured etc...from the experience. So i figured maybe in the disadvantaged essay I could focus just more on the why i feel im disadvantaged part as the rest is explained elsewhere? Anyways guju said you guys have to write something similar to this for the GEMS program so I thought this might be a good place to start. Thanks to all who respond! :). Pre-allo isnt very useful for this type of thing unfortunately :(.

Hello Elijah05

I am current GEMS come here in July. I will be happy to help you with your essay. I appreciated the help from others so Im willing to share back the love.

Please PM me or email me at [email protected]

Since 1977, 477* lucky people have completed GEMS. Of those 477, 417 have successfully gone onto Georgetown Med, or 87%. Did you just read that? 87%

I dont know about you, but that makes me excited. When I get my acceptance to GUSOM, I will kiss Mr. Taylor, Dr. Walker, Dean Williams and Ms. DeWalt's feet. These guys are going to change our lives.

*542 have matriculated in total to GEMS, but 65 were DQ'd or withdrew, leaving 477.

Source: 2009 Brochure

Since 1977, 477* lucky people have completed GEMS. Of those 477, 417 have successfully gone onto Georgetown Med, or 87%. Did you just read that? 87%

I dont know about you, but that makes me excited. When I get my acceptance to GUSOM, I will kiss Mr. Taylor, Dr. Walker, Dean Williams and Ms. DeWalt's feet. These guys are going to change our lives.

*542 have matriculated in total to GEMS, but 65 were DQ'd or withdrew, leaving 477.

Source: 2009 Brochure

Wow, that makes me smile. Don't forget also that a good amount of the people who didn't matriculate into GUSOM went to other medical schools, so that's got to mean something good about the program! I've been wanting to call Dean Williams and Dr. Taylor to thank them so much, but I've just been getting their machines lately. I am so excited about this opportunity and can't wait to start!

:thumbup:WOW!!! THOSE ARE SOME FINE LOOKING NUMBERS THERE:)

SO EXCITED TO START!!!

THIS IS WHAT I WAS TOLD FROM LAST YEARS CLASS (NOT THE CLASS WE MET AT INTERVIEW DAY. THE YEAR BEFORE)

24 PEOPLE IN CLASS

21 PEOPLE RECEIVED INTERVIEWS
17 PEOPLE ACCEPTED TO GUSOM

81% OF THE STUDENTS WHO INTERVIEWED GOT ACCEPTED.

I know one of the students who did not get accepted will be attending medical school in Arizona. He basically stated he let personal problems drown him down (girlfriend breakup) during GEMS. Im sure the others probably got accepted somewhere else also. Like cornflakes said, we are truely blessed!!!

Soon as anyone hear any stats from 08-09 GEMS class, please post.

Webbs thanks for those numbers. Any word on why 4 of those 21 who interviewed did not get in?

:thumbup:WOW!!! THOSE ARE SOME FINE LOOKING NUMBERS THERE:)

SO EXCITED TO START!!!

THIS IS WHAT I WAS TOLD FROM LAST YEARS CLASS (NOT THE CLASS WE MET AT INTERVIEW DAY. THE YEAR BEFORE)

24 PEOPLE IN CLASS

21 PEOPLE RECEIVED INTERVIEWS
17 PEOPLE ACCEPTED TO GUSOM

81% OF THE STUDENTS WHO INTERVIEWED GOT ACCEPTED.

I know one of the students who did not get accepted will be attending medical school in Arizona. He basically stated he let personal problems drown him down (girlfriend breakup) during GEMS. Im sure the others probably got accepted somewhere else also. Like cornflakes said, we are truely blessed!!!

Soon as anyone hear any stats from 08-09 GEMS class, please post.

Not sure Max,

He said he didnt get in b/c he only scored at the Med School Average and had personal problems throughout the year. He stated if he would of scored a few points higher on the exams, he would of gotten in.

Maybe there is some more rationale behind this, I dunno.

We jst need to work extremely hard, give 110% to ensure we all get in....

Not sure Max,

He said he didnt get in b/c he only scored at the Med School Average and had personal problems throughout the year. He stated if he would of scored a few points higher on the exams, he would of gotten in.

Maybe there is some more rationale behind this, I dunno.

We jst need to work extremely hard, give 110% to ensure we all get in....

The other students probably had similar problems with outside influences, but he still got into a US MD school. 81% is still an amazing matriculation rate, though!

Also, I have a copy of the BRS and Physiology books that Ischemic suggested. Where should I start with those?

Last edited:
Hey peeps and fellow classmates,

I know everyone's financial situations are not the best at the moment with the move to DC and all but this is what I plan to do.

I figure I could spend $300 or less on a plane ticket back to DC and spend a day looking for a place in person. This will be before the actual UHaul drive to DC.

I know there are alot of websites and apartments who will try to make their apartment or housing look good online and once you get there, it dosen't look nothing like the pictures online or is in a bad area/congested with traffic.

I rather I could spend the $300 and be comfortable for the first 6-12 months in DC instead of signing a lease online and stuck living in a crappy area or apartment.

I suggest everyone, jst like the GEMS letter stated, visiting DC again in early or MID June to look for housing in person. I, myself, do not trust many of these websites and pictures online. (Not to scare anyone)

What do you all think??? If anyone wants to schedule something at the same time, let me know as my work schedule is pretty flexible. Also, I will have a rental car to get us around.

Hey Webbster82,

I'm thinking to going out to DC early also to get the housing situation squared away. . . what R ur plans? Also, has anyone found housing yet?

Hey Webbster82,

I'm thinking to going out to DC early also to get the housing situation squared away. . . what R ur plans? Also, has anyone found housing yet?

None found yet, but if people are planning a trip down there, I would like to go too...

has anyone considered an icebreaker before boot camp starts?

tachy23: that sounds like a good idea. I should be arriving in the DC area around the 1st or 2nd of July.

Jamrock: I will actually be sharing an apartment with another fellow GEMS student and he was in the DC area yesterday looking for places in person. I will let everyone know which areas/apartments he recommends.

tachy23: that sounds like a good idea. I should be arriving in the DC area around the 1st or 2nd of July.

Jamrock: I will actually be sharing an apartment with another fellow GEMS student and he was in the DC area yesterday looking for places in person. I will let everyone know which areas/apartments he recommends.

Thanks. I would like to know this too, and hopefully be able to share a place with another GEMS student also.

Hey Webster,

Was there a letter that said to look for housing in early or mid-June? I don't remember reading something like that.

Hello escesc,

I dont think it was a letter for GEMS specifically. It was for the SMP program but im sure it will be good to re-visit DC again in early June to look for housing before your actual move. I just dont trust pictures and signing leases online.

AW

Hey Webster,

Was there a letter that said to look for housing in early or mid-June? I don't remember reading something like that.

Hello escesc,

I dont think it was a letter for GEMS specifically. It was for the SMP program but im sure it will be good to re-visit DC again in early June to look for housing before your actual move. I just dont trust pictures and signing leases online.

AW

Yea, I agree. It is a good idea to visit and see the place before signing a lease. Any particular neighborhoods people recommend looking?

I will post some recommendations and pictures of some places as soon as my roommate sends them to me via email. I think he visited like 6 places yesterday

Anyone know if we have a break between summer bootcamp and the start of classes?

The other students probably had similar problems with outside influences, but he still got into a US MD school. 81% is still an amazing matriculation rate, though!

Also, I have a copy of the BRS and Physiology books that Ischemic suggested. Where should I start with those?

BRS Physio is reeediculousman. I had to wikipedia every other word! The textbook is easier to read and provides much more explanation. Makes sense, because BRS is high yield only.

As for apartments, the pics and suggestions wuold be greatly appreciated Webbs. I saw an apartment in Foxhall village but it is too small. My bed alone (full size) takes about 1/4 of the living space.

Anyone know if we have a break between summer bootcamp and the start of classes?

Dont quote me on this but I believe I heard 2 days. Anyone else remmeber 2 days?

BRS Physio is reeediculousman. I had to wikipedia every other word! The textbook is easier to read and provides much more explanation. Makes sense, because BRS is high yield only.

As for apartments, the pics and suggestions wuold be greatly appreciated Webbs. I saw an apartment in Foxhall village but it is too small. My bed alone (full size) takes about 1/4 of the living space.

Cool, cool. I'll definitely work with the textbook. There's also places in Glover Park that I'm interested in. I don't have a bed, but I'll cross that bridge when I get there, haha.

Hey guys, dont mean to continue on this subject which has been settled already but I've been doing some fact-finding and it appears that the people who didnt make it simply did not put 100% into the program, which is a handful of people. Some people had personality issues which did not fit into GEMS and other simply did not meet academic expectations. As far as people doing their job but not getting accepted - unfounded.

Hope this settles any anxiety anyone was having like I was.

Hey guys, dont mean to continue on this subject which has been settled already but I've been doing some fact-finding and it appears that the people who didnt make it simply did not put 100% into the program, which is a handful of people. Some people had personality issues which did not fit into GEMS and other simply did not meet academic expectations. As far as people doing their job but not getting accepted - unfounded.

Hope this settles any anxiety anyone was having like I was.

Fish, thanks for the info man. I think that "what if" is on everyone's mind so we're giving this 110% so that doesnt happen. You put in the work, you get results. It's that simple.

Fish, thanks for the info man. I think that "what if" is on everyone's mind so we're giving this 110% so that doesnt happen. You put in the work, you get results. It's that simple.

I could get with that. I'm looking through the physiology text, and am amazed at how much I don't understand or forgot. I just think that I'm going to need every bit of help possible. I was told that GEMS students get an amazing amount of academic support. I hope that is true.

How much is a handful ? I was told that you have to score Honors or high pass in all the classes...so if you fail to meet the requirements in just one class, and go below the mean by just 1% you are in jeopardy already... And some of these classes are med school level, which is tough!

How much is a handful ? I was told that you have to score Honors or high pass in all the classes...so if you fail to meet the requirements in just one class, and go below the mean by just 1% you are in jeopardy already... And some of these classes are med school level, which is tough!

The handful would be the roughly 20% who dont make it each year, Annalex.

I know having to get at least HP or H sounds tough but we're gonna be in class from 8-5 every day and getting grilled by Dr. Taylor and Walker all the while. This stuff will sink in whther you like it or not. I think you'd have to really screw up aka not try to not get a HP.

just remember what they told us at the may 4th interview..come in with an open mind and be prepared to let things happen to you that you wont expect, and keep in mind that these are 100% effective methods

just remember what they told us at the may 4th interview..come in with an open mind and be prepared to let things happen to you that you wont expect, and keep in mind that these are 100% effective methods

A-men.

Anyone interested in sharing this w/ me? $1445 inicludes utitlities.

http://www.fasdcrentals.com/properties/detailview.php?BID=46&UID=906

We would split it so it would be ~$725 for each which is a nice deal since it's only like 10 blocks from school. We can ride bikes to class lol (seriously)

It would be college dorm room style with 2 beds in the bedroom or one of us can set up in the living room.

Last edited:
This is a life changing opportunity...and well worth the risks- Odds are also in our favor- if we all give 110%. Hopefully we will be the first class in which we all make it! ;) I cant wait for the study packet to come... But why is rent a mortage payment???!!