GEMS Georgetown 2009-2010

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I believe that is Cath. Heights area right?

Cathedral Heights looks nice... but that does seem like a long 10 blocks, lol.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone know how long it takes GUTS to reach the med school from a surrounding area like Rosslyn/Arlington or outer DC? Is it a reasonable commute time <30min?

Did anyone else get that email from Dean Williams?

i just read mine...glad to know that we will have our study materials soon, at which point reality will set in and we will become well aware of how much is expected us during our GEMS year

I didn't get an email. I hope they got my email address correct. What did it say? I'm going to call tomorrow to make sure they got my letter of understanding.

Members don't see this ad :)
I didn't get an email. I hope they got my email address correct. What did it say? I'm going to call tomorrow to make sure they got my letter of understanding.

They should have sent an email saying that they received the letter of understanding.

Lets all get through this GEMS year together. You have to believe in 3 things. First you have to believe in God who will be there during those long nights of studying and difficult tests ahead. Next you have to believe in the system which has been proven to work for the last 30+ years. And most importantly you have to believe in yourself.
LETS GET IT!!!

Lets all get through this GEMS year together. You have to believe in 3 things. First you have to believe in God who will be there during those long nights of studying and difficult tests ahead. Next you have to believe in the system which has been proven to work for the last 30+ years. And most importantly you have to believe in yourself.
LETS GET IT!!!

I'm totally with this.

We are preparing a mailing for the matriculating GEMS class. If you are interested in having a room-mate or finding living quarters to be shared, please respond to this e-mail and I will forward that information to the GEMS class. BEFORE you ask, are planning a mailing on Friday, June 5th. It will be sent priority to mail to those living outside the DC area.

Also, I got an email saying that they received my letter of understanding, so if you didn't get one you should definitely call and check to make sure they got it.

LETS GET IT!!!

Yi-yah!:zip:

LETS GET IT!!!

:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup: Great post!

So what are peoples plans for letters of rec for AMCAS? Are you guys planning on using the same ones used for GEMS or getting new letters?

So what are peoples plans for letters of rec for AMCAS? Are you guys planning on using the same ones used for GEMS or getting new letters?

I've actually been keeping in touch with my interviewers in hopes of having one or both of them write one on my behalf. but i also plan on using the letters that i originally had.

Same ones. The main LoR you should be concerned about is the GEMS committee letter. Make sure you earn that one.

does anyone know if the current GEMS students have found out about their admission in to GUSOM?

I recieve a couple emails daily which contain openings for housing around Georgetown.

If you would like me to forward them to you as I get them, pls PM me your email address.

AW

Just think..by this time next week, we will know how many of us were accepted, the names of our classmates, and how those pictures we took on interview day turned out. :D:D

Just think..by this time next week, we will know how many of us were accepted, the names of our classmates, and how those pictures we took on interview day turned out. :D:D

So that's what those pictures were for... I'm sure mine looks horrid.

...if people actually answered their Craigslist postings. :bang:

I think that they find someone who is interested in the place and they dont bother removing the ad.

I suspect that too... I think I will narrow my search down to Glover Park, Cath. Heights, Burleith, and Rosslyn.

Last edited:
ok, my faith in Craigslist has been restored. I got 3 replies during lunch.:D

Any input would be great!

I am not sure if I should apply to GEMS Program. What do you guys think?

My Stats:
Undergraduate GPA = 2.22
Undergraduate BCPM = 2.09
Graduate GPA: 3.653.
MCAT = 24R

I have researched for 3 years and still going. Currently I have 2 publications and numerous poster presentations.

I am the president of my graduate class.

My low undergrad GPA was due to unforseen family health and financial problems. I was homeless (lived out of my undergraute campus library illegally) for a period of nearly 2 years.

I am completing my graduate school at a a top ranking UC University (I want to keep location private because I dont want to be identified). It was a miracle that I even got into a graduate school of this caliber.

Should i apply to the GEMS program? Even if I get in, would I even have a chance at medical school with my low undergraduate GPA?

This is going to sound like a very strange question, but were you on This American Life about a year ago? There was someone who was technically an illegal immigrant (even though she had lived in US her whole life, just was born in Mexico) who went to UCLA I believe and lived on campus so she wouldn't have to commute. She also wanted to go to med school and was working in a lab.

Sorry if it's not you, but I can't imagine there's too many people living in a UCLA's library.

Edit: Even if you're not her (and not an illegal immigrant), it's a really compelling story.
Here and here

Last edited:
Hey guys,

I've decided that Drexel DPMS is the better choice for me. It was an insanely tough decision b/c GEMS is just amazing but a wise one for me in the end. Hopefully another lucky person will benefit from this.

Best of luck to everyone.:D:luck::thumbup:

Hey guys,

I've decided that Drexel DPMS is the better choice for me. It was an insanely tough decision b/c GEMS is just amazing but a wise one for me in the end. Hopefully another lucky person will benefit from this.

Best of luck to everyone.:D:luck::thumbup:

What made you come to your decision, if you don't mind me asking?

What made you come to your decision, if you don't mind me asking?

Hi Flownominal, when it all boils down, DPMS is an early assurance program and I cannot throw away a guaranteed acceptance like that.

Now i'm sure that's not onthefly cuz they couldn't even consider medical school if they were not a citizen or permanent resident/green card holder at the least.

That said, these girls have the opportunity to either consider DO schools if they take international students or otherwise try to go offshore and then come back as an FMG as tough as it is.

But they'd still need a SIN if they don't have an SSN.

This is really heart breaking. I know someone who just got their greencard just this year after 2 decades. I am so thankful for them when I read the stories of these other students. God was watching out for this person and their family. Also, when I read this story I'm thankful my dance teacher had the sense to do what her husband didn't when he came here illegally. She used her artistry as a trained classical dancer of India to get special artist category for getting a greencard and got it right away. was able to get her husband the greencard after fighting a 2 year legal battle. Now she's eligible for citizenship and he has 4 more years before he's equally eligible. its so sad that these parents immigrate and don't think about what it is going to do to the kids when they don't go through the proper channels to do such.

I wonder if that martha girl can consider going to the medical school in Mexico or even Ross University/SGU/etc. and then coming to the US as a FMG?

It seems like its the only feasable option short of marrying to get a greencard.

I think the problem with that is that they aren't legal citizens of any state. Going to an offshore school would require some sort of student visa/documentation, etc. and getting such would most likely require submitting residency documents, which they don't have... I don't think they could even do offshore, because even if they come back as an FMG, they still need to at least obtain a green card to apply for residency. Also loans, financial aid, and such also requires an SSN of some sort. I honestly think that marrying a citizen would be their only choice, or waiting for the DREAM bill to pass, if it ever happens.

This is a horrible situation for those girls to be in, and I really hope some sort of legislation is passed in order to remedy it, as these people mostly did not come here by choice. I will pay more attention to this DREAM bill and see how it progresses.

This is going to sound like a very strange question, but were you on This American Life about a year ago? There was someone who was technically an illegal immigrant (even though she had lived in US her whole life, just was born in Mexico) who went to UCLA I believe and lived on campus so she wouldn't have to commute. She also wanted to go to med school and was working in a lab.

Sorry if it's not you, but I can't imagine there's too many people living in a UCLA's library.

Edit: Even if you're not her (and not an illegal immigrant), it's a really compelling story.
Here and here

No the person was not me. I did not attend UCLA during my undergraduate studies. I truly hope those who really wish for a career in medicine will eventually be given an opportunity to do so.

Fishpaste: I wish you best of luck at Drexel. I would die for a spot on the GEMS class because I know medicine is what I want to do. :)

Is there even a wait list for the GEMS program?

I have never heard of one and in the past, no one mentioned one.

Any thoughts?

Hi OntheFly,

Why limit yourself on just GEMS? GEMS is just one program-There are many other post bacc programs out there that you can prepare for entrance in the upcoming yr. Also, you have the cali post bacc's. In addition you sound like a good candidate for DO schools if you can re-do your classes that are pulling your undergrad GPA really down. Regardless dont limit yourself to one program, and it will take a lot of work, however its still possible! Best of luck to you:rolleyes:

has anyone in the dc area received their welcome package yet? if so what's in it?

Ok, I got a packet in the mail this afternoon... It's not exactly a study packet, but an introduction to the GEMS program, DC area, academic curriculum, and immunization papers. There's an area guide with suggestions from former GEMS students, as well as a list of all students attending the 2009-2010 program, with email addresses. It seems that the actual study packet will be mailed out next week (12 June) and we will be tested on the material on the first day.

Also: One of the required texts for GEMS is Lehninger's Guide to Biochemistry, 5th Edition. I took Biochem and remember having that textbook, but in a fourth edition, in pdf format. If you want, you can pm me for it, and I will figure out how to send a ~50MB pdf file.

Last edited:
Ok, I got a packet in the mail this afternoon... It's not exactly a study packet, but an introduction to the GEMS program, DC area, academic curriculum, and immunization papers. There's an area guide with suggestions from former GEMS students, as well as a list of all students attending the 2009-2010 program, with email addresses. It seems that the actual study packet will be mailed out next week (12 June) and we will be tested on the material on the first day.

Also: One of the required texts for GEMS is Lehninger's Guide to Biochemistry, 5th Edition. I took Biochem and remember having that textbook, but in a fourth edition, in pdf format. If you want, you can pm me for it, and I will figure out how to send a ~50MB pdf file.

got mine today as well..lol, im flipping out over all the warnings about how devoted we are going to have to be to studying. "extraordinary amount of notebook paper and notecards" reality has definitely set in.

on another note :D FL :D and CA are seriously representing this year!! (5 from FL, 6 from CA)

got mine today as well..lol, im flipping out over all the warnings about how devoted we are going to have to be to studying. "extraordinary amount of notebook paper and notecards" reality has definitely set in.

on another note :D FL :D and CA are seriously representing this year!! (5 from FL, 6 from CA)

I know, right? And I really have to get to GEMS about the spelling of my name...

Maybe we should just start sending each other emails introducing ourselves, lol.

is anyone planning on using a rolling book-bag? my roommate seems to think it's the better way to carry so many books but i think it kinda looks goofy. any thoughts?

is anyone planning on using a rolling book-bag? my roommate seems to think it's the better way to carry so many books but i think it kinda looks goofy. any thoughts?

As a person who went through the past four years lugging around a heavy laptop bag and a 40lb bookbag, I think a rolling bag would be convenient, provided you live closer to the campus. If you live farther away from campus, it's not so much so. Lugging heavy bags on mass transit has put a lot of stress on me, and I would prefer not to do so anymore. One thing I intend to do, is to just have a single backpack which holds my laptop, with a binder to keep all written notes. This would make sense to me if I were to obtain digital copies of all the books I need...

Anyway, I don't think it looks goofy. I am just concerned that having to move around such weight so frequently may cause a lot of stress, as doing a similar thing did to me during undergrad.