GEMS Georgetown 2009-2010

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I know how you feel with the bolded. I had a laptop bag that was a roller bag a few years ago, and it was so much less convenient then a normal lap top bag or just putting the lap top into my backpack. I hated it. The worst was when you were in an auditorium and you felt like it got in the way of everything.

Exactly, or, in my case, having to squeeze into a packed bus with two large, heavy bags and getting in everyone's way.

Members don't see this ad.

So, how much will my car insurance premium increase from moving to DC?

Hey guys,

I've decided that Drexel DPMS is the better choice for me. It was an insanely tough decision b/c GEMS is just amazing but a wise one for me in the end. Hopefully another lucky person will benefit from this.

Best of luck to everyone.:D:luck::thumbup:

I personally believe there is a waiting list because each of these spots is worth ~$18K to Georgetown. They're not going to miss out on that potential income by just cancelling the seat.

Members don't see this ad :)
So, how much will my car insurance premium increase from moving to DC?

OMG!! mine went from $576 every 6 months to $1010.90 every 6 months!!! to top that off, 5% of what my car is worth is $900. so there is no way i can afford to take my car to DC.

OMG!! mine went from $576 every 6 months to $1010.90 every 6 months!!! to top that off, 5% of what my car is worth is $900. so there is no way i can afford to take my car to DC.

Wow... nearly double the rate... I'm not sure whether that 5% applies if it is a new car or not. Where I am, they're supposed to charge 7% of what you paid for the car, rather than the blue book value, and I suspect the same rings true for DC, as I didn't see such information about blue book value on the DMV website. If the blue book thing were true, I doubt anyone would be able to afford to own a car in the District. I'm going to call my insurance and ask them for an estimate. I hope my premiums will not increase that much.

Wow... nearly double the rate... I'm not sure whether that 5% applies if it is a new car or not. Where I am, they're supposed to charge 7% of what you paid for the car, rather than the blue book value, and I suspect the same rings true for DC, as I didn't see such information about blue book value on the DMV website. If the blue book thing were true, I doubt anyone would be able to afford to own a car in the District. I'm going to call my insurance and ask them for an estimate. I hope my premiums will not increase that much.

well for those over 25 im sure there will be no issue..but for me it sucks! also, i think that when people purchase a car there, the fee is added into the taxes they pay at the dealership. but the letter dean williams sent says that they charge between 5-7% of the kbb value

hey flow, during your interview, was mr taylor monitoring the Facilitated Session? i think i was in your group.

hey flow, during your interview, was mr taylor monitoring the Facilitated Session? i think i was in your group.

I doubt it... I was in the April 20th interview, and Dr. Walker, I believe, was monitoring us for a while.

This is a horrible situation for those girls to be in, and I really hope some sort of legislation is passed in order to remedy it, as these people mostly did not come here by choice. I will pay more attention to this DREAM bill and see how it progresses.

Yeah, it is incredibly sad. My heart goes out to those people, especially since it's no fault of their own that they have, essentially, no country.

Maybe it's more popular to live in UCLA's library than I realized.

Yeah, it is incredibly sad. My heart goes out to those people, especially since it's no fault of their own that they have, essentially, no country.

Maybe it's more popular to live in UCLA's library than I realized.

Sigh........

Did everyone find housing yet? This is more difficult then I expected. I might be homeless!

Members don't see this ad :)
Did everyone find housing yet? This is more difficult then I expected. I might be homeless!

I have been receiving a ton of emails from dean Williams geared toward helping GEMS and med students find housing..it has been a GREAT help, but yes, I have found a room to rent and I move next tuesday. Has anyone heard about how many GEMS students will matriculate into the med school?

I have been receiving a ton of emails from dean Williams geared toward helping GEMS and med students find housing..it has been a GREAT help, but yes, I have found a room to rent and I move next tuesday. Has anyone heard about how many GEMS students will matriculate into the med school?

Hi Tachy, how have you been receiving emails about housing? Are we supposed to tell Dean Williams? I just got one from her today.

Hey guys, it was such a hard decision but I will not be joining GEMS after all. I've been blessed me with a few options and I am choosing one that lets me be with what I love most - my family. Had to take a deep breath to come to this decision and it was the right one.

God bless and you'll all be in my prayers for a successful GEMS year. :D:D:D

P.S. The current GEMS have been informed of their destiny and the numbers are looking great. :thumbup:

Oh man you are leaving us too!! :D I am sure you have made the right decision and I wish you the best!! :) Are you planning on attending the DPMS program?

Well Im still searching and its not looking great ... also why is everyone leaving Gems?? our incoming class is getting smaller and smaller....

Hi Tachy, how have you been receiving emails about housing? Are we supposed to tell Dean Williams? I just got one from her today.

Me too... a question about housing... would we have to pay the deposit out of pocket, or can we wait for financial aid to come in, because I'm a bit strapped for funds after paying off the remainder of my semester bill.

Hey guys, it was such a hard decision but I will not be joining GEMS after all. I've been blessed me with a few options and I am choosing one that lets me be with what I love most - my family. Had to take a deep breath to come to this decision and it was the right one.

God bless and you'll all be in my prayers for a successful GEMS year. :D:D:D

P.S. The current GEMS have been informed of their destiny and the numbers are looking great. :thumbup:

I've already told you that any decision you make would be a sound one. I know you will do great with your choice!

It looks that this GEMS class is indeed getting smaller. Right now, it looks to be down to around 23 or so...

But while we're all deciding where to go, I'm going to announce that I thought of my own options, and listened to the suggestions of others, and have decided to stay with GEMS, so I will continue looking for a place. Does anyone want a roommate, because I forgot to add my name to the Dean William's mailing list.

Last edited:
Hi Flow,

To answer your question, yes you would have to pay the deposit out of pocket, and sometimes they also ask for first month's rent in addition, if not included in the security deposit... The trouble with student loans is that they take a few weeks before you get the $$ in your hand, in my past experience at least 1 week, so try to save as much as you can til the loans come in.

So anyone know what the percentages are looking like this year??

Hey Tachy23.. I see you have a dog...are you bringing him/her with you? If so, do you know of apt. complexes that are pet friendly?

Hi Flow,

To answer your question, yes you would have to pay the deposit out of pocket, and sometimes they also ask for first month's rent in addition, if not included in the security deposit... The trouble with student loans is that they take a few weeks before you get the $$ in your hand, in my past experience at least 1 week, so try to save as much as you can til the loans come in.

So anyone know what the percentages are looking like this year??

Crap, then I am going to be homeless... I used up most of my savings just to finish paying my undergrad tuition. I guess I would need a miracle to happen soon...

Well Im still searching and its not looking great ... also why is everyone leaving Gems?? our incoming class is getting smaller and smaller....

Yo anna, I understand your concern but 4 or 5 people is hardly everyone and GEMS is GEMS - the program's history speaks for itself. Dont let the recent exodus get to you cause it happens all the time at the greatest schools. Everyone's situation is different - family, economics, lovelife, etc. And if it helps, I know of 2 people that got straight into med school so they surely declined their acceptances.

Flow, thanks brother.

thanks for the encouraging words...best of luck to you and everyone :rolleyes: Everything happens for a reason!

Hey Tachy23.. I see you have a dog...are you bringing him/her with you? If so, do you know of apt. complexes that are pet friendly?

I'm actually not going to bring my dog. I had the opportunity to, but with the time I will spend studying, he certainly won't get the time and attention he deserves, so I am letting my roommate look after him for the tim being.

I'm not sure why I've been getting so many, but I am definitely appreciative. I guess she is sending them to the students who asked her for help with housing.

I'm not sure why I've been getting so many, but I am definitely appreciative. I guess she is sending them to the students who asked her for help with housing.

Is it possible that you can forward some places to me? I haven't been getting much stuff in the mail lately.

Maybe youre right about not having enough time to care for the dog.. but you can just take it with you next yr, after you get in officially. ;) If anyone has any suggestions or recommendations about housing i.e. good apt complexes or websites other than craigslist.org please post!

so how many students have we lost total? i only know of 2 but im assuming there are more, is that right?

I know of a basement apartment that is open. It's location is only 5 minutes from campus. I don't know how much the rent is. If interested contact Kristie at [email protected].

For anyone packing a lot of clothes with limited space, I HIGHLY recommend those space saver vacuum bags from Wal-Mart or Target.. I saved A TON of space!!!!!

WOW!!! Its been so quiet here lately....lol

I wonder if its b/c everyone is getting nervous about the move.....:rolleyes:

Has anyone gotten their study packets yet??

And also, is anyone down to have a social gathering the weekend before we start??
It will be a great way to get to know each other before we start the academic beatdown bootcamp:thumbup:

WOW!!! Its been so quiet here lately....lol

I wonder if its b/c everyone is getting nervous about the move.....:rolleyes:

Has anyone gotten their study packets yet??

And also, is anyone down to have a social gathering the weekend before we start??
It will be a great way to get to know each other before we start the academic beatdown bootcamp:thumbup:

No study packet yet... If I can find a place by a week before classes begin, I wouldn't mind a pre-beatdown ice breaker. I'm actually very nervous about starting, and am just trying to enjoy every minute of downtime that I have at the moment.

No study packet yet... If I can find a place by a week before classes begin, I wouldn't mind a pre-beatdown ice breaker. I'm actually very nervous about starting, and am just trying to enjoy every minute of downtime that I have at the moment.

im up for meeting as well, i will be in DC this week so I may have to go to the Med school to get my study materials. does anyone know when they intend to send them? we only have about 2 weeks to study

im up for meeting as well, i will be in DC this week so I may have to go to the Med school to get my study materials. does anyone know when they intend to send them? we only have about 2 weeks to study

They said something in the last packet about sending the study materials out by last friday. Chances are, the weight of the packet would probably make priority shipping pretty expensive, so it may take a bit longer for us to get stuff. I am anxiously waiting for the packet, but I think I may be waiting a bit longer, as I'm currently in New York and I am having mail forwarded from my apartment address.

For those that are leaving their jobs, what do you tell your manager, ??? Grad/med school??? - Or just say your moving out of state??

For those that are leaving their jobs, what do you tell your manager, ??? Grad/med school??? - Or just say your moving out of state??

Yeah, the relocation bit is the best way to not burn any bridges. My jobs were really cool about it, but one of them knew about Georgetown. They put me on indefinite leave, telling me that they want me to relax before school starts.

so I was looking at the cost of SMPs and its looking daunting even to me who has not come from a disadvantaged background albeit not a multimillionaire background either. How are most of you financing GEMS? Do they do something to help the GEMS students out since most of the kids are socioeconomically not in the best position? Or do you guys have costs similar to the regular SMPs that you have to finance on your own via loans and what not??

I'm just curious.

Yes, unfortunately we are on our own financially. We have to pay for tuition via loans just like everyone else.

Yes, unfortunately we are on our own financially. We have to pay for tuition via loans just like everyone else.

Ahh I see. I think its the high rates of interest that are scaring me most.

I called the financial aid office yesterday and was told they should be sending award letters out in the next day or so:xf:

Also, how is everyone's studying coming along?? This is a lot of material to digest in 2 weeks:eek:

Anybody hear anything from the financial aid office yet?

I called the financial aid office yesterday and was told they should be sending award letters out in the next day or so:xf:

Also, how is everyone's studying coming along?? This is a lot of material to digest in 2 weeks:eek:

I feel the same way about the material, but I think it is definitely within reason.

LOL, on another note, I attempted to learn my way around the city today and I must caution you all...those darn circles (Dupont and Logan) are confusing!! and taxi drivers are ruthless!

I feel the same way about the material, but I think it is definitely within reason.

LOL, on another note, I attempted to learn my way around the city today and I must caution you all...those darn circles (Dupont and Logan) are confusing!! and taxi drivers are ruthless!

I didn't get any study packet yet... Maybe the mail forwarding will take a bit longer?

When did you guys get your study packets? How big are they? Also, tachy, did you bring your car to DC? If so, do you have to register it in DC?

When did you guys get your study packets? How big are they? Also, tachy, did you bring your car to DC? If so, do you have to register it in DC?

I went to pick up my study materials yesterday, it's pretty thick, but like I said, the material isn't overwhelming. I put my car on an auto train in Sanford Fl. and rode the train to Lorton, VA. I have an old friend from college who lives in VA who is letting me park it at his house for the time being. My plan though is to purchase a parking space on craigslist. :)

Is anyone here interested in sharing a studio or one bedroom apartment? It would certainly keep the housing costs at a minimum... PM me if anyone (male) is interested.

FYI: i went to check out the studio apts that are running the $895 special and i must say, they are pretty cool..oh yea, the $895 is a front facing window, if you have no preference the price is $850 i think.

PROS: big window, spacious bathroom, lots of closets, small store on site, very close to dupont circle and shopping, rent includes everything but cable and internet (a wise investment would be to just get a broadband card from your wireless carrier)

CONS: very very small refrigerator and you cant control the temperature on your own, it is controlled by management.

FYI: i went to check out the studio apts that are running the $895 special and i must say, they are pretty cool..oh yea, the $895 is a front facing window, if you have no preference the price is $850 i think.

PROS: big window, spacious bathroom, lots of closets, small store on site, very close to dupont circle and shopping, rent includes everything but cable and internet (a wise investment would be to just get a broadband card from your wireless carrier)

CONS: very very small refrigerator and you cant control the temperature on your own, it is controlled by management.

Nice... it looks like a pretty cool place. does it have a bed, or would I have to buy one myself? Also, is it possible to find a cheaper place in DC?