GEMS Georgetown 2009-2010

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Nice... it looks like a pretty cool place. does it have a bed, or would I have to buy one myself? Also, is it possible to find a cheaper place in DC?

only if you are ok with commuting an hour or more on the public transportation. and that's if you live in DC.

http://washingtondc.craigslist.org/nva/apa/1235448119.html

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hey Tachy23,

How far are they from school .. . is it within waliking distance?

Hey Tachy23,

How far are they from school .. . is it within waliking distance?

1500 massachusetts is 3.5 blocks from dupont circle where the guts bus picks us up for free.

that other one i posted the link to is a block or so from another guts bus stop

Members don't see this ad :)
Has anyone recieved their financial aid award letters yet?

Has anyone recieved their financial aid award letters yet?

when i went by on monday they said they would be sending them out today or tomorrow..in the meantime, if you need proof of income for an apartment, they said just have the landlord call them

School is around the corner! YIKES!! Tachy how are you enjoying the DC area? ;)

School is around the corner! YIKES!! Tachy how are you enjoying the DC area? ;)

lol, it's crowded and i trip over everyday because im always looking up at the buildings.. but im enjoying it..thanks for asking

Hey guys quick questions, regarding loan apps is GEMS considered a graduate or undergraduate program ?

Also i was wondering if anyone knows anything about discover as a lender, its seems to have the best rates and no fees?? is there a catch i cant seem to find ?

Well thanks and good luck studying everyone

Hi...Regarding loans GEMS is a grad program. The financial aid form will ask you if you have already obtained a Bachelors degree. As for Discover, I have no idea.... the interest rate very variable though, I would read more carefully for any lender prior to commiting.

Does anyone know if we anticipate needing the additional loans in addition to the $40,800, how do we apply for them and when?
Do we wait till we get award letters or apply now?

I can't get ahold of the financial aid office

Does anyone know if we anticipate needing the additional loans in addition to the $40,800, how do we apply for them and when?
Do we wait till we get award letters or apply now?

I can't get ahold of the financial aid office

from my understanding, we need the loan to meet the other half of the cost of attendance which is about $20,500. also, they didn't include this in the e-mail but we all have to log on to the fin aid website and sign our MPNs..this HAS to be done ASAP!!

from my understanding, we need the loan to meet the other half of the cost of attendance which is about $20,500. also, they didn't include this in the e-mail but we all have to log on to the fin aid website and sign our MPNs..this HAS to be done ASAP!!

Hey Tachy

Wait what ??! .. im soooo confused and the office doesnt pick up.. we have log on where in financial aid to sign MPN?? isnt that for the award letters..

So correct me if im wrong ... for the first $20,500 (Stafford) we sign a MPN somewhere on the financial aid site right? ... and for the resting 15 to 20K we contact a lender of preference ( grad plus ) and figure it out on our own ?

BTW the e-mail said we have to pick up our award letters in person ...so that means the first day of class right or do we need to go now ?? cuz im thinkin we would need the award letter to get the ball rolling ..no ?

well if anyone could clarify the mess in my head i'd really appreciate it

:confused:

Hey Tachy

Wait what ??! .. im soooo confused and the office doesnt pick up.. we have log on where in financial aid to sign MPN?? isnt that for the award letters..

So correct me if im wrong ... for the first $20,500 (Stafford) we sign a MPN somewhere on the financial aid site right? ... and for the resting 15 to 20K we contact a lender of preference ( grad plus ) and figure it out on our own ?

BTW the e-mail said we have to pick up our award letters in person ...so that means the first day of class right or do we need to go now ?? cuz im thinkin we would need the award letter to get the ball rolling ..no ?

well if anyone could clarify the mess in my head i'd really appreciate it

:confused:

i'm just as confused as you are and I am sorry but they were not very clear with me either. But Dean Pollock told me that yes, we have to sign our MPN online..you go to the GEMS website, click on the financial aid link and then click on financial aid programs, then stafford loan programs..select a lender as if you are going to apply and it should take to a page where you sign your MPN.

Now, I am still uncertain as to why the COA is listed as $40,800 but we have to come up with half on our own. What's more confusing is that we should be able to borrow up to $40,000 per year under the Stafford loan program. So, what I am going to do tomorrow is go to the financial aid office and have it clearly spelled out for me and I will alert you guys as soon as I know something definitively..

As for the award letters, we are to pick those up on the first day of class. Also, when you are applying for the Grad PLUS loans BE SURE to put the class begin and class end dates as the fall-spring semester because I was told by a lender that federal funds are not to be used for summer tuition. So don't give them any reason to deny your request.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah, Im confused also. Soon as someone finds out more info or gets ahold of the financial aid office, please post.

On a positive note, check out this link about GUSOM students meeting with President Obama this week!!!!:thumbup:

Very inspirational!!

The guy in the pic is a former GEMS student. I remembered him from interview day

http://explore.georgetown.edu/news/?ID=42423&PageTemplateID=295

So, I think I figured it out after almost 2 hours of research. lol

Basically, you need to go to Georgetown Financial Aid website
http://som.georgetown.edu/prospectivestudents/financialaid/programs/

And click on Federal Stafford Loan, which is the top link.

Next, you choose one of the lenders that the school has recommended or choose your own lender.

Once you choose a lender, click on the lender. It will take you to Georgetown page which asks you which type of loan you would Process.

First you need to do the Stafford Loan. (Takes about 30 mins to complete)

After you complete the entrance counseling and forms, you then will sign your MPN for your Stafford Loan

If you need additional monies besides the $20,500 (max for Stafford Loan) which I suspect everyone will, you then need to start over and complete the Graduate Plus loan app in the same way you did the Stafford.

You will be asked for an amount that you request for your loan so have your budget ready and calculated if it is different from what Georgetown calculates.

I think this is what Dean Williams wanted us to do before the 25th.

PM me if you have any questions...

MeDMERgency,

I believe there is a max to Discover loans. Its something around $9k.

Loan limits for dependent students:
1st Year – $5,500
2nd Year – $6,500
3rd Year – $7,500
4th Year – $7,500
Loan limits for independent students:
1st Year – $9,500
2nd Year – $10,500
3rd Year – $12,500
4th Year – $12,500

Thats the reason why their rates and fees are so low b/c of the max loan amount

Hey guys quick questions, regarding loan apps is GEMS considered a graduate or undergraduate program ?

Also i was wondering if anyone knows anything about discover as a lender, its seems to have the best rates and no fees?? is there a catch i cant seem to find ?

Well thanks and good luck studying everyone

I believe that Discover is just like any other lender. The max you can borrow is up to your educational expenses not covered by other financial aids. I had to click on the "For Graduate Students" to tab. I think the numbers they listed as you enter the site pertains only to undergraduate students.

I'm in the process of trying to complete my loans. I'm also confused. The lady I spoke with at the financial aid office told me go to ECMC.org to sign the MPN and start my loans, but it doesn't have the lender that I wanted so I'm stuck. I'll call the financial aid office to see what steps to take next.

I am planning on using Discover for my loans and noticed that it takes you directly to their website to complete the application rather than going through georgetown. Anyone else notice this? Do you think it will cause any problems?

I used Discover....did its applications for both the Stafford and Plus loans and signed its MPNs. I then contacted GUSOM financial aid and asked if there is anything else I needed to do. The lady told me to wait for the approval process now.

Escesc,

Im down. I arrive in DC on Thursday so if anyone wants to meet up this weekend, let me know.

Hmmm... I still haven't found a place yet.. I'm still keeping hope alive! Maybe 1500 Mass is still available, I may be able to afford the deposit.

Hmmm... I still haven't found a place yet.. I'm still keeping hope alive! Maybe 1500 Mass is still available, I may be able to afford the deposit.

i would def. go with 1500 mass ave. all the other studios ive seen were highly priced and offered very little space. and the deposit is only $430. with other places it is usually 1st month's rent or more

i would def. go with 1500 mass ave. all the other studios ive seen were highly priced and offered very little space. and the deposit is only $430. with other places it is usually 1st month's rent or more

Do you know if this place is furnished, has washer and dryer, or parking? I'm not sure if you took note of such when looking at the apartment.

Do you know if this place is furnished, has washer and dryer, or parking? I'm not sure if you took note of such when looking at the apartment.

parking is available and the building has laundry facilities with cameras so it's very secure. there is no furniture but lots of people in the building who are moving out are selling what they have. parking is a little over $125/month but at $895 for rent that's a pretty good deal.

Hi all,

Does anyone know when the Summer Academic Enrichment will end and if we will have time off until the beginning of the actual school year?

Thanks a bunch!

parking is available and the building has laundry facilities with cameras so it's very secure. there is no furniture but lots of people in the building who are moving out are selling what they have. parking is a little over $125/month but at $895 for rent that's a pretty good deal.

Hey tachy, is it possible that you can look at a couple of places for me? I found some really affordable ones, but I won't be in the area until next week. PM me if you get the chance today.

Has the Financial Aid Office certified anyone's loans yet? My application through my lender has been complete for about a week now and my status on the lender's website still says "waiting school certification."

Wow, two days and I still haven't found a place to live... I'm really praying that God helps me find something soon...

just wondering an update from you guys did you guys find out the total amount of people accepted into the program this year or any other numbers/stats.. and congrats to all of you excepted somewhere and goodluck entering this year

I wanted to know if you all felt comfortable telling us your stats and your undergrad school?

I am applying to Med school now and came upon the GEMS program.
A bit about me academically. I had a rough time in undergrad.
Two schools with a cumulative GPA of about 2.25. Took the MCAT 2x in undergrad 31N and 29P. Took time off, worked amnd went to grad school where I had a 3.3. Retook MCAT as mine had expired and got 38O.
As far as why I could be considered, am not underrepresented but do consider myself economically disadvantaged. I am also the child of two addicts, one in recovery, one who is not, who both relapsed while I was in undergrad. So there is my story. Can anyone comment on my qualifications both academic and otherwise for the GEMS program. Thanks in advance.

sorry you arent getting an answer. your best bet is to call the gems director and ask them

Umm...4 gems am I just suppsed to have filed amcas b4 nov..or filed and sent myamcas 2 gtown b4 nov??

do not send your AMCAS to Georgetown. Just have it verified and sent to the schools you want to apply to.. If georgetown is one of those schools then fine, but if you are considering entry into the GEMS program that will be a separate process.

Hi, I wanted some advice for the upcoming GEMS program. I am currently completing my MPH and my undergraduate GPA is 2.95 BCPM 2.66 MCAT:20P....am I competitive? My situation is a little different than most people's seeing how I was financially responsible for my mother and sister...however my undergraduate GPA has a declining trend...I do have documentation to prove this, but I wanted to know what you guys thought. Do I have a shot?

As WJDD stated SMP and GEMS are somewhat different. The SMP program is geared more for individuals with individuals with adequate GPAs and MCATs who for whatever reason did not get into med school and are trying to prove themselves by taking med school classes. GEMS however is geared to underrepresented and underprivileged minorities that do not have a decent GPA or MCAT due to some issues in college.

The GEMS program has been a great experience. It's a great way to really learn if medicine is truely what you want to do and if you can handle the workload at medical school. The staff are also very supportive in all ways imaginable and I've definitely enjoyed my experience. That being said, it's also not a breeze. You have to always be on top of your game and you need to treat the program as if it's the only thing in your life because it does demand/require that much dedication. If you have any other specific question please don't hesitate to send a private message.

Hey guys!

I just wanted to send out a quick congrats to everyone accepted! And to those of you who didn't get accepted this year, KEEP TRYING! Not only for GEMS, but for medicine. Take a look at yourself and try to improve something in the next year. Then, keep your fingers crossed and try again. There are many people who apply to GEMS 2-3 and even 5 times before they are accepted! (The 5x is a medical student at Gtown now!).

I think that Migs basically covered everything. I would just like to reiterate his point about "tying up loose ends". Basically, you are not going to have time in GEMS to mess around with ANYTHING but GEMS if you want to be successful. That means if your boyfriend or girlfriend gets jealous easily, if your family tries to occupy all your time, if you friends don't understand, you HAVE TO CUT THEM OUT. And it's not forever, just for 1 year. Honestly, once you realize that they are too much stress for you in GEMS, it's already too late. Many classes have only 1 or 2 exams, so you don't have time to "figure it out" as you go along.
I personally had to deal with a lot of family issues, so if anyone has anymore questions, just send me a message.

Other than that, ENJOY your summer break until you get your GEMS study packet. And once you get that, try to spend some well needed time reading it. Believe in the program and it will pay off.

And we don't know who you are, so if you want, put a first name on here so we can associate a name and face. Even though it may not seem like it, many of us were rooting for you and would love to know if you got in!

Best of luck for the fun, amazing beautiful, wonderful, and hardest year you have ever had!
Hi,

I am interested in applying to the GEMS program, but do not know if I am qualified. I have a 2.95 overall undergraduate 3.44 MPH but a 2.66 BCPM and 20P MCAT. Unfortunately, my undergraduate GPA was declining because of some major obstacles (which I can provide the committee the paperwork for if granted an interview) and I had a D in Biochemistry, I have heard all kinds of things about how important Biochemistry is to the committee, could you give me some advice?

Hi guys,

Congratulations to all the people that got into this program. I am an Asian Indian and have been severely disadvantaged economically throughout my life. I am very much passionate about helping the underserved population as a primary care physician. I also have a 3.5 GPA and a 28 MCAT.

I was just wondering what my chances are of getting into the GEMS program as an Indian with those stats. I am also looking at Drexel DPMS.

Any sort of help/advice with be greatly greatly appreciated. Thank you!!

You know I am not sure if you will get in GEMS due to the high MCAT. i've heard more low mcat and low GPA or high Gpa and low mcat then low GPA and high MCAT stories with GEMS. And even for disadvantaged status apps that is still lower and I mean much, much, much lower then the averages of these programs which require a 2.6 or so and higher. You are not even at that. So even with the high MCAT I'm not sure it will work. My advice to you is to do what the first person in the low GPA thread did many years ago and take 2 years of strong postbac ugrad courses in higher level sciences and try to ace them all. That will help you a long way and apply with such.

Also the bad thing with your grad GPA is it is still not up to par of 3.5+ which is what most grad GPAs should be for helping to get into med school.

I'd seriously consider doing a postbac and applying. But like I said talk to GEMS admissions officers and see what they say.

Ignore her, shes not affiliated with the program. Check out gems.georgetown.edu and apply. In your application indicate why you were disadvantaged and what makes you a unique applicant. Tell your story genuinely.

Apply to other postbac programs as well, you never know who will accept you.
Best of luck!

Ignore her, shes not affiliated with the program. Check out gems.georgetown.edu and apply. In your application indicate why you were disadvantaged and what makes you a unique applicant. Tell your story genuinely.

Apply to other postbac programs as well, you never know who will accept you.
Best of luck!

I agree with LoveMyRam, those stats what guju mention earlier are just averages. Most of the current GEMS stats are higher than those averages. Give it a shot, this program is geared for disadvantage students.

LMAO, Im thinking of how nice we are being to the people who will be reading through this post next year...reading through our 15 PAGES will definitely help them to pass the time better than we have been able to...HI FUTURE GEMS READERS/POSTERS!!

Hey tachy!