GEMS Georgetown 2009-2010

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I got accepted... I can't believe it!! I have somewhere to go!!! Wow, guess who's joining you guys in July!!!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey everyone did they mention what the matriculation rate into the medical school was looking like this year?

Hey everyone did they mention what the matriculation rate into the medical school was looking like this year?

I haven't gotten a response from my Facilitator, I'll probably email him again.

Members don't see this ad :)
I GOT MY LETTER TOO! CONGRATS EVERYONE, see you all JULY 8TH--- MY BIRTHDAY! BEST PRESENT EVERRRRRR : )

Flow, congrats brother!!!!

Congrats to errrbody1!!!!!

:clap::claps::clap::claps::clap::clap::claps::clap::claps::clap:

Thanks, man, I got a little bit worried when the phone didn't ring, haha. But where are we going to live?

Ouch, dude, that question brings me back to reality LOL. Where are we going to live!? I need to sell my car! I need to put in my resignation! I need to get my finaid straight! I need to, I need to ___________...

Also, this has to be the most epic post-bac thread ever. 20 pages. 20:D

Ouch, dude, that question brings me back to reality LOL. Where are we going to live!? I need to sell my car! I need to put in my resignation! I need to get my finaid straight! I need to, I need to ___________...

Also, this has to be the most epic post-bac thread ever. 20 pages. 20:D

It's not over yet, we have to take this thread to 1000 posts to show everyone else that we don't play around!

I'm looking for places now, and writing letters of resignations. I'll stay with my job at the science fair until it ends this week. I'm going to clean out my apartment later this evening... so much to do...

It's not over yet, we have to take this thread to 1000 posts to show everyone else that we don't play around!

I'm looking for places now, and writing letters of resignations. I'll stay with my job at the science fair until it ends this week. I'm going to clean out my apartment later this evening... so much to do...

July 7th is right around the corner.

CONGRATULATIONS GEMS 2009-2010!!!

I am so proud of you all! It has been a long arduous admission process but Georgetown sees potential in all of you to be future doctors. Relish in this moment....and get ready to WORK HARDER THAN YOU EVER HAD TO EVER.PERIOD.

That being said, now a few things need to be taken care of...
I am sure that you all are wondering , where am i going to live, what do i need to do?, what about money? , good questions, you will soon (not sure the exact date) get HUGE packet of material for the upcoming and logistical stuff. Also it contains all of the helpful hints for housing etc.

1. Best place to look for housing..i am sure you all know, craigslist (despite the bad press lately:(. We are STILL waiting to hear back from GUSOM so some of us are also looking for housing as well. NOTE-- as was said at the interview sessions rent in ridiculous around here, those of you coming from NYC already know the drill but basically you cheapest it comes here is about $900 but the average around $1200 i would say. So plan for that.

2. Join the GEMS group on facebook. I created it last year and it will get you in contact with some of my classmates/previous GEMS for other perspectives/advice .link...

http://www.facebook.com/home.php#/group.php?gid=18640229691

3.Financial aid..honestly i would ask other former GEMS, i did not go this route since i lived at home and commuted everyday (hence a reason to join the fb group)

4.Enjoy the time you have until the study packet comes, seriously there WILL BE PLENTY OF TIME to get down on the material you need to know, believe me, plenty of time....

5.If you decide to fill out you AMCAS ..DO NOT SUBMIT IT !! DO NOT SUBMIT IT! you will be told this, but it may be a good idea to begin to work on it again..since you will need it for next year when you re-apply to GUSOM.

6. Tie up loose ends, this can mean many things, but if you are in a destructive relationship/ a non-functional relationship or have any other distractions that could POSSIBLY take away from you giving 100% to the GEMS program than sorry to say, but you must get rid of them now, rather than letting them impede you during the year.

AGAIN ..congratulations guys and girls, i hope that you all enjoy your time before July 8th, get psyched and get ready to change the world!

Hoya Saxa!

Migs, always a pleasure to hear your tested wisdom. Thank you. Looking forward to that packet and I'm gonna start looking at craigslist TONIGHT!

Also, here's a link to a cool online medical biochem textbook which I've been reading the past few weeks to get the cobwebs out. Nice read if you have time here and there during the day at work.

http://themedicalbiochemistrypage.org/

CONGRATULATIONS GEMS 2009-2010!!!

I am so proud of you all! It has been a long arduous admission process but Georgetown sees potential in all of you to be future doctors. Relish in this moment....and get ready to WORK HARDER THAN YOU EVER HAD TO EVER.PERIOD.

That being said, now a few things need to be taken care of...
I am sure that you all are wondering , where am i going to live, what do i need to do?, what about money? , good questions, you will soon (not sure the exact date) get HUGE packet of material for the upcoming and logistical stuff. Also it contains all of the helpful hints for housing etc.

1. Best place to look for housing..i am sure you all know, craigslist (despite the bad press lately:(. We are STILL waiting to hear back from GUSOM so some of us are also looking for housing as well. NOTE-- as was said at the interview sessions rent in ridiculous around here, those of you coming from NYC already know the drill but basically you cheapest it comes here is about $900 but the average around $1200 i would say. So plan for that.

2. Join the GEMS group on facebook. I created it last year and it will get you in contact with some of my classmates/previous GEMS for other perspectives/advice .link...

http://www.facebook.com/home.php#/group.php?gid=18640229691

3.Financial aid..honestly i would ask other former GEMS, i did not go this route since i lived at home and commuted everyday (hence a reason to join the fb group)

4.Enjoy the time you have until the study packet comes, seriously there WILL BE PLENTY OF TIME to get down on the material you need to know, believe me, plenty of time....

5.If you decide to fill out you AMCAS ..DO NOT SUBMIT IT !! DO NOT SUBMIT IT! you will be told this, but it may be a good idea to begin to work on it again..since you will need it for next year when you re-apply to GUSOM.

6. Tie up loose ends, this can mean many things, but if you are in a destructive relationship/ a non-functional relationship or have any other distractions that could POSSIBLY take away from you giving 100% to the GEMS program than sorry to say, but you must get rid of them now, rather than letting them impede you during the year.

AGAIN ..congratulations guys and girls, i hope that you all enjoy your time before July 8th, get psyched and get ready to change the world!

Hoya Saxa!

IM IN!!!!!:luck::luck::luck:

Im out of town but had my roommate check the mail for me.

I jst found out and its 11pm at night....lol

It was a long, nerve wrecking day for me but im estatic!!!!!

Cant wait to start and meet everyone.....

Now, Vegas here I come:):)

Members don't see this ad :)
CONGRATS TO MY FUTURE CLASSMATES/STUDY BUDDIES!!!!!

has anyone joined the facebook group?

Last edited:
CONGRATS TO MY FUTURE CLASSMATES/STUDY BUDDIES!!!!!

has anyone joined the facebook group?

Hey, is this the official group started by the GEMS committee? I remember Mr T said they were taking our pictures to make an official FB group. Can anyone post a link to it? (I dont hae a facebook yet)

Hey guys!

I just wanted to send out a quick congrats to everyone accepted! And to those of you who didn't get accepted this year, KEEP TRYING! Not only for GEMS, but for medicine. Take a look at yourself and try to improve something in the next year. Then, keep your fingers crossed and try again. There are many people who apply to GEMS 2-3 and even 5 times before they are accepted! (The 5x is a medical student at Gtown now!).

I think that Migs basically covered everything. I would just like to reiterate his point about "tying up loose ends". Basically, you are not going to have time in GEMS to mess around with ANYTHING but GEMS if you want to be successful. That means if your boyfriend or girlfriend gets jealous easily, if your family tries to occupy all your time, if you friends don't understand, you HAVE TO CUT THEM OUT. And it's not forever, just for 1 year. Honestly, once you realize that they are too much stress for you in GEMS, it's already too late. Many classes have only 1 or 2 exams, so you don't have time to "figure it out" as you go along.
I personally had to deal with a lot of family issues, so if anyone has anymore questions, just send me a message.

Other than that, ENJOY your summer break until you get your GEMS study packet. And once you get that, try to spend some well needed time reading it. Believe in the program and it will pay off.

And we don't know who you are, so if you want, put a first name on here so we can associate a name and face. Even though it may not seem like it, many of us were rooting for you and would love to know if you got in!

Best of luck for the fun, amazing beautiful, wonderful, and hardest year you have ever had!

Thanks for all the kind words, current GEMers! We're rooting for ya'll too and GUSOM. Does anyone know if an interview invite was given to everyone?

Yeah, I would like to know this also.

Yeah I would like to know this as well. I noticed a couple of times that when the GUSOM interview subject was brung up, people were mostly evasive or not too informative about it? I mean we know that the majority of the students end up in GUSOM (80%) so why the lack of info? Is it a "dont jinx me" type of thing?

Yeah I would like to know this as well. I noticed a couple of times that when the GUSOM interview subject was brung up, people were mostly evasive or not too informative about it? I mean we know that the majority of the students end up in GUSOM (80%) so why the lack of info? Is it a "dont jinx me" type of thing?

I think it's more of a "don't jinx me" type thing. If there were any reason for current GEMS students to avoid the question, they would have told us or shown it to us somehow. They're all probably as anxious to hear from GUSOM as we were from waiting to hear from GEMS.

anyone gonna bring their car?

im considering bringing mine. but only because i owe more than it's worth and i dont want to have a repo on my credit.

on another note, we ARE eligible for federal student loans as GEMS students arent we? i forgot what was covered during financial planning.

anyone gonna bring their car?

I am... I got it for close to nothing, and it's probably worth as much, so there is no point in selling it. Besides, it has been my best companion for the past year or so.

I am... I got it for close to nothing, and it's probably worth as much, so there is no point in selling it. Besides, it has been my best companion for the past year or so.

the idea of registering it and finding parking freaks me out more than the thought of FS. lol

im considering bringing mine. but only because i owe more than it's worth and i dont want to have a repo on my credit.

on another note, we ARE eligible for federal student loans as GEMS students arent we? i forgot what was covered during financial planning.

Tachy, I'm in the same boat. I owe only $1500 more than it is worth but it makes no sense to take such a loss when I can pay it off and keep using it. And yes, we are eligble for mostly all the same loans as a med student, including the most important type - Stafford.

yea, i think i will end up bringing my car..but will have to find a place that has parking..

what are you guys plans for housing?? I was thinking of finding a place close to campus..like an apt and maybe getting a 2 bedroom with a roommate or just a small studio if i were to live by myself.

yea, i think i will end up bringing my car..but will have to find a place that has parking..

what are you guys plans for housing?? I was thinking of finding a place close to campus..like an apt and maybe getting a 2 bedroom with a roommate or just a small studio if i were to live by myself.

I have no idea what to do as far as housing...

Let's try to stick together if possible and you dont mind. We may not know each other but we're working towards the same goal and that's always a great start. If you find something on Craigslist post it here and maybe we can contact each other in real life to start planning. Finding a place is some serious biz.

Im hoping to find out about fin aid and the amount of extra money ill have left over before i start looking. just sent in my letter of understanding and institutional app today so im hoping to find out before june.

Im hoping to find out about fin aid and the amount of extra money ill have left over before i start looking. just sent in my letter of understanding and institutional app today so im hoping to find out before june.

Yeah... I need to get to work on that, haha.

Yeah... I need to get to work on that, haha.

lol, i had to get mine sent in before they changed their minds.. did you guys hear about the girl who got an acceptance phone call and then found out that it was a mistake?? (this was last year btw)

lol, i had to get mine sent in before they changed their minds.. did you guys hear about the girl who got an acceptance phone call and then found out that it was a mistake?? (this was last year btw)

Oh wow, that hurts... I think I will get to work on this stuff sooner than I thought...

Congratulation to all who are accepted! I excited and eager to meet everyone. Do we send the Letter of Understanding to the Academic Dean or to GEMS? I'm thinking the Academic Dean because that is the name the letter is addressed to but I'm not too sure.

Congratulation to all who are accepted! I excited and eager to meet everyone. Do we send the Letter of Understanding to the Academic Dean or to GEMS? I'm thinking the Academic Dean because that is the name the letter is addressed to but I'm not too sure.

That's also a very good question, I would like to know this...

Hi everyone! I just had to saw woooooooow! You guys have done some major posting since the last time I looked at this page! Impressive!

CONGRATULATIONS to everyone, I look forward to meeting you all in July! It seems soooo soon, and i am presently very overwhelmed with looking for housing, deciding on what to do with my car, and getting finaid stuff worked out!

I was wondering if anyone knows how quickly they let you know about the financial aid award after you send in your information? I can't remember if he told us, but I'm beginning to wish I'd done it before now so I could know what I was working with...:eek:

i sent mine to the address on the letter. i didnt see anywhere on it that said otherwise.

Hey everyone,

First of all CONGRATULATIONS!!! :) celebration time~!

I made an earlier post about this, but I am subletting my place for the month of June (I won't be in town) with the option of renewing the lease for one year. I live in a house with 3 other girls (a resident, med student, and a law student)-- all Georgetown students. The house I live in is really close to school (it's right across the street, less than 5 min walk) and there's plenty of street parking. The rent is $726/month + utilities. Message me if you're interested!! (Ladies only!) I'm showing the place to some people on Saturday... I want you guys to have 1st preference, so let me know if you're in the area, and want to check it out before then... alrighty good luck!!

Yeah, Fly, have you heard anything yet, because we're all pulling for you.

Yeah, Fly, have you heard anything yet, because we're all pulling for you.

Unfortunately, I was not accepted into the GEMS Program. I don't know the reason for my rejection and I wish the GEMS Committee can tell me. In all respect, I am happy for you guys who have been admitted.

I am in a financial bind at this point in my life and my parents are facing a huge amount of financial pressure. At this point, I do not know if I can continue to pursue this dream of becoming a physician. I really wish I could, but financially, it may not be possible. I really hope that you guys will have a great year and will eventually matriculate into Georgetown Medical School. I really hope this will not be the end of the road for me, but I won't know until sometimes later. Keep me in your prayers and thank you.

Thank you for all of your support. It was really great to have gotten to know you guys and in some respect been given the opportunity to meet some of you.

That's also a very good question, I would like to know this...

The address on the Letter of Understanding is directed at Dean Mitchell but Box 1423 is GEMS's box so you're fine sending it to the address on the letter.

Fly, I am sorry to hear that. Do what you have to do to help your fam and get back on track when you're ready. This is what I had to do also when I graduated and look, 4 years later, I'm back on track! Bets of luck brother.

The address on the Letter of Understanding is directed at Dean Mitchell but Box 1423 is GEMS's box so you're fine sending it to the address on the letter.

Cool, thanks.

Fly, I'm sorry to hear that as well, but I don't believe that you should give up your dream to become a physician. I understand having to help family also, as I almost didn't go to college because of it. I wish the best, and know that you can do it, as you made it this far.

Last edited:
Thank you Maxim, Flow and gujudoc for your kind words. I truly hope that I can become a physician, someday.

My current situation is dire. The courts have been sending my parents notices on freezing all our assets. The funny thing is my family is so poor we don't have anything and we can't even muster enough to pay for taxes. So, I honestly don't know what the gov can be freezing or attempting to seize from my family.

I am graduating soon. I live in someone's basement and at times, roam around on campus in the study rooms (hence my late night or early morning posts). I never want something so bad in my life and yet, everywhere I turn there is a road block.

I don't want to give up, but what else can I do right?

I know the GEMS Admission Committee probably didnt think I was a good fit for whatever the reason and I know it is not Mr. Taylor or Dean Williams fault. I honestly just dont know what else I could have done.

Fly, dont be so hard on yourself. I know the lure of a program like GEMS is big but dont forget the many other SMPs and great programs out there, my friend. OSU MedPath, EVMS, Drexel DPMS, IMS, WakeForrest, UMDNJ-MBS, UConn PB, UCLA, etc. It only takes one dude and your interview invite showed that you have qualities which adcoms are interested in.

Thank you Maxim, Flow and gujudoc for your kind words. I truly hope that I can become a physician, someday.

My current situation is dire. The courts have been sending my parents notices on freezing all our assets. The funny thing is my family is so poor we don't have anything and we can't even muster enough to pay for taxes. So, I honestly don't know what the gov can be freezing or attempting to seize from my family.

I am graduating soon. I live in someone's basement and at times, roam around on campus in the study rooms (hence my late night or early morning posts). I never want something so bad in my life and yet, everywhere I turn there is a road block.

I don't want to give up, but what else can I do right?

I know the GEMS Admission Committee probably didnt think I was a good fit for whatever the reason and I know it is not Mr. Taylor or Dean Williams fault. I honestly just dont know what else I could have done.

Award letters will be mailed out mid June, peeps!