GEMS Georgetown 2009-2010

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Good to know. Do you know if we have to send them our credit report with the institutional form?

Send:
-credit report
-instit. form
-W-2 form
-income tax return
-parents' stuff- if applicable

Members don't see this ad.

Send:
-credit report
-instit. form
-W-2 form
-income tax return

Dont pay for a credit report. You can get one for free, once a year, at freecreditreport.com. It is totally legit and uses the Experian scoring system.

Send:
-credit report
-instit. form
-W-2 form
-income tax return

What if I don't have my w2 forms anymore? does a 1040 count too? To where do I send these? What bureau should I print out the credit report? Transunion?

Members don't see this ad :)
Send:
-credit report
-instit. form
-W-2 form
-income tax return

why do we need to send all of that? everything but the credit report can be found from information in our fafsa right?

by the way, i would just like to point out that
it is SO HARD to find an apt in DC!!!

why do we need to send all of that? everything but the credit report can be found from information in our fafsa right?

That's true... and it is extremely difficult to find a place. This is ridiculous, I'm thinking about living out of my car for a while.

by the way, i would just like to point out that
it is SO HARD to find an apt in DC!!!

Tachy what are you gonna do with your dalmatian? Mike Vick got out of jail today, watch out. LOL

Guys,

thank you all for all of your support even now. You guys are a great bunch of people and I am sure the GEMS Program knows that already.

I will try not to forgo my dream to the best of my abilities. My immediate concerns now is trying to see where and how I can live when I can't even afford a place.

Until I get that straighten away, I wont be able to regroup and re-evaluate what I will be able to do this year and perhaps, next year.

I don't want to put a damper in all of your celebrations. I wish you all lots of luck in the GEMS program and maybe someday, our paths will cross again.

FYI: Flow, I am happy for you that you decided to go to your graduation. I almost didn't finish my undergraduate degree because of all the financial and health difficulties. I was able to finish my degree because I had people who really cared for me (parents and academic counselors) then and it was the best feeling in the world when I can show them by how their support did not go to waste. I did not have many friends myself because i was so busy working many, many jobs and just trying to stay afloat. So i understood where you were coming from. Good job and good luck in GEMS.

For now, I will sign off and may you all have much success and matriculate into the medical school of your choice. I will continue to keep you all in my prayers.

:luck::xf::luck::xf::luck::xf::luck::xf::luck::xf:

Tachy what are you gonna do with your dalmatian? Mike Vick got out of jail today, watch out. LOL

lol, now that you mention it, i did get a weird email about a new dog sitter in the Va. area.. :laugh: but my roommate is going to keep him for me.

any luck finding a place?

Hey peeps and fellow classmates,

I know everyone's financial situations are not the best at the moment with the move to DC and all but this is what I plan to do.

I figure I could spend $300 or less on a plane ticket back to DC and spend a day looking for a place in person. This will be before the actual UHaul drive to DC.

I know there are alot of websites and apartments who will try to make their apartment or housing look good online and once you get there, it dosen't look nothing like the pictures online or is in a bad area/congested with traffic.

I rather I could spend the $300 and be comfortable for the first 6-12 months in DC instead of signing a lease online and stuck living in a crappy area or apartment.

I suggest everyone, jst like the GEMS letter stated, visiting DC again in early or MID June to look for housing in person. I, myself, do not trust many of these websites and pictures online. (Not to scare anyone)

What do you all think??? If anyone wants to schedule something at the same time, let me know as my work schedule is pretty flexible. Also, I will have a rental car to get us around.

lol, now that you mention it, i did get a weird email about a new dog sitter in the Va. area.. :laugh: but my roommate is going to keep him for me.

any luck finding a place?

LOL! No luck yet man.

Webbs, I agree with that strategy man. They paint you the most beautiful picture online and then it turns out it's a trifling rat hole. $300-400 is not much to spend in the long run to ensure your sanity for the next year. I am doing this as well as I said above.

Last edited:
Can anyone give any idea for finding free or low cost parking at GUSOM?

I think I could make a trip down to DC again, but the parking situation scares me. However, I did realize from the interview that If you park at one of the suburban metro stations, you can take the metro into the city and spend all day, as the parking charge is only $4.50.

Members don't see this ad :)
Sorry guys im a bit confused still .... which documents do i need to send for financial aid ??

This is wat i did so far.... fafsa and sent institutional form .

I figure then wont need w-2 or 1040 because of fafsa am i wrong ?:confused::confused::confused:

Thanks in advance for any help

I simply followed the normal med school fin. aid process which may or may not be the GEMS fin aid process. This is the process as stated on the website:

Applying for Financial Aid

Section: Applying for Financial Aid

First Time Applicants:

Institutional financial aid applicants must provide the following documents no later than April 15 (Incoming students must adhere to this deadline regardless of admission status):

1. Georgetown Application for Aid (both student and parent sections must be completed)
  2. Student’s federal tax returns, including all schedules, and W-2 forms (and spouse's, if applicable)
  3. Parent’s federal tax returns, including all schedules, and W-2 forms (required of all unmarried students)
  4. Credit Report (due no later than July 1)

Students applying for Federal Stafford and Federal Graduate PLUS Loans only must provide the following (no filing deadline):
  1. Georgetown Application for Aid (parent section not required)
  2. Credit Report (July 1 deadline)
Sorry guys im a bit confused still .... which documents do i need to send for financial aid ??

This is wat i did so far.... fafsa and sent institutional form .

I figure then wont need w-2 or 1040 because of fafsa am i wrong ?:confused::confused::confused:

Thanks in advance for any help

Flow, thanks. How long is the ride to GUSOM from said metro station?

I'm also thinking of just parking near the med-dent building like I did for the interview and paying the parking meter everyday. I forget how much it was per hour.

I think I could make a trip down to DC again, but the parking situation scares me. However, I did realize from the interview that If you park at one of the suburban metro stations, you can take the metro into the city and spend all day, as the parking charge is only $4.50.

Last edited:
Flow, thanks. How long is the ride to GUSOM from said metro station?

I'm also thinking of just parking near the med-dent building like I did for the interview and paying the parking meter everyday. I forget how much it was per hour.

I'm looking at the map, and it seems that all stations with parking are outside of the city limits... That might be somewhat of a hassle, being that a ride from many of these stops is about a 30min ride (at least it was for me coming out of Springfield). I think that the closest station with parking is Van Dorn Street on the Blue line... Let me look further to see what else I can find. Did you find out how much parking is near GUSOM yet?

Also about the financial aid, I see now what they mean by w2's, schedules, and such. Everything they need is in the federal tax return. But does this go to the financial aid office?

I'm looking at the map, and it seems that all stations with parking are outside of the city limits... That might be somewhat of a hassle, being that a ride from many of these stops is about a 30min ride (at least it was for me coming out of Springfield). I think that the closest station with parking is Van Dorn Street on the Blue line... Let me look further to see what else I can find. Did you find out how much parking is near GUSOM yet?

Also about the financial aid, I see now what they mean by w2's, schedules, and such. Everything they need is in the federal tax return. But does this go to the financial aid office?

this still confuses me..does anyone have the email address for the guy who helped us with financial planning?

never mind, i found it

Yeah, I'm not sending in individual w2 forms, because I don't have them anymore, but the copy of your federal tax returns should already contain all information from w2s and such, as the site implied. I'm just going to send the tax return and credit report like the financial aid office told me on the phone.

i wonder how many of us they accepted from the 49.

i wonder how many of us they accepted from the 49.

I have no idea... I think that a good number of interviewees are not on SDN, or post infrequently. However, 49 is a lot of people interviewed.

did you guys already send in your letters?

I will send mine out tomorrow, along with the financial aid stuff to the finaid office. Hopefully, finaid can help me out with something decent.

did you guys already send in your letters?

Mailed it out the same night, brutha!....with two 1st class Liberty Bell stamps and a cotton-fiber resume envelope to reciprocate the love.:laugh:

I am ready to put on such a damn show at G-town it aint even funny, woooo! (Ric Flair style)

Any idea when we get those notorious study packets?

Last edited:
I read the entire thread last night and it was just wonderful. It kind of acts as a journal for each of us and a snapshot of our mindstate each day. Looking back at how nervous and anxious we were, it makes this acceptance even more special than it already it. I remember when I sent in this application I had absolutely NO expectation of ever getting in and look now.

What a small world this is: found out last night that a friend of a friend of mine did GEMS last year and is an M1 now.

I read the entire thread last night and it was just wonderful. It kind of acts as a journal for each of us and a snapshot of our mindstate each day. Looking back at how nervous and anxious we were, it makes this acceptance even more special than it already it. I remember when I sent in this application I had absolutely NO expectation of ever getting in and look now.

What a small world this is: found out last night that a friend of a friend of mine did GEMS last year and is an M1 now.

lol, shouldnt you be spending your time looking for housing???

I read this thread, last year's, and the 2007 thread, which was almost like this one, but on a much smaller scale. To even be considered for this program along with everyone else from the previous years, and seeing their success, makes me feel special enough that I believe that I can go through with it. I didn't think that GEMS would even consider me, so I started posting here to wish everyone else here good luck. This program has already changed my outlook for the future, so I will return the favor by working the hardest I have ever worked in my life.

...But I still can't find a place, and I'm going to ask financial aid why they need my tax returns and credit report, because I was scammed before by giving others that stuff.

...But I still can't find a place, and I'm going to ask financial aid why they need my tax returns and credit report, because I was scammed before by giving others that stuff.

fin aid office is closed til tuesday

So, when filling out the FAFSA, do I fill out the one for 2008-2009, or do I fill out the forms for 2009-2010?

Hey Guys,

Congradulations to everyone! This is an awsome accomplishment. I have also been accepted and now challege #2 . . . finding housing. What do you guys recommend besides craigslist?

Hey Guys,

Congradulations to everyone! This is an awsome accomplishment. I have also been accepted and now challege #2 . . . finding housing. What do you guys recommend besides craigslist?

Jamrock, Craigslist is a great place to start. You can also use rent.com and apartments.com.

Tachy, lol, yeah, I know I should have used those 2 hours spent reading the thread looking for housing and I did the day after. I think I found my place: a little studio for $900/month, which isnt too bad for DC.

Hope everyone had agreat mem. day weekend. How is the housing search going?

Jamrock, Craigslist is a great place to start. You can also use rent.com and apartments.com.

Tachy, lol, yeah, I know I should have used those 2 hours spent reading the thread looking for housing and I did the day after. I think I found my place: a little studio for $900/month, which isnt too bad for DC.

I still feel like I'm going to be homeless in July. I'm sending in the financial aid stuff today with the letter of understanding, and finishing the FAFSA, but we don't have to fill out the stuff for 2008-2009 even though the program starts in July, right?

Last edited:
I still feel like I'm going to be homeless in July. I'm sending in the financial aid stuff today with the letter of understanding, and finishing the FAFSA, but we don't have to fill out the stuff for 2008-2009 even though the program starts in July, right?

HeyFlow,

it's for 2009-2010 academic year. As for being homeless, I really dont recommend that, man ,for reasons beside the obvious. The academic bootcamp will be enough mental weight, you dont want finding a place to live to be another worry. Not even for one day. Remember, all it takes is one unsatisfactory or low pass, and it's over. Even if you have to settle for a rat hole, remember it's only one year man; you can find another more affordable place when you go M1. Fin. Aid will cover anything you cant pay with loans, which for most of us will be 90-100% of the cost. Let me know what you think.

HeyFlow,

it's for 2009-2010 academic year. As for being homeless, I really dont recommend that, man ,for reasons beside the obvious. The academic bootcamp will be enough mental weight, you dont want finding a place to live to be another worry. Not even for one day. Remember, all it takes is one unsatisfactory or low pass, and it's over. Even if you have to settle for a rat hole, remember it's only one year man; you can find another more affordable place when you go M1. Fin. Aid will cover anything you cant pay with loans, which for most of us will be 90-100% of the cost. Let me know what you think.

I hope this boot camp is everything they say it is... I really hope that I can succeed. As for the apartment, I will keep trying.

dude im so completely jealous!! how close is it to campus?

dude im so completely jealous!! how close is it to campus?

About six blocks but it is very very small for the price. It's a fall-back if I dont find anything in the next couple of weeks.

Any past GEMers recommend any reading material to try to familiarize on the reading material...Board review series?? its been awhile since Ive had hardcore science.

Any past GEMers recommend any reading material to try to familiarize on the reading material...Board review series?? its been awhile since Ive had hardcore science.

Yes, I would love to know this as well.

When will everyone be arriving? I'm thinking of getting into town around June 20th. that way I'll have enough time to learn the city and become acclimated to my new surroundings.

also, the washington post has listings for apartments as well

When will everyone be arriving? I'm thinking of getting into town around June 20th. that way I'll have enough time to learn the city and become acclimated to my new surroundings.

also, the washington post has listings for apartments as well

4th of July probably for me.

I've been told by several people to stay away from NE and SE DC. It makes sense too because the rent is waaay cheaper in those areas.

4th of July probably for me.

I've been told by several people to stay away from NE and SE DC. It makes sense too because the rent is waaay cheaper in those areas.

Haha, My friend told me to stay away from SE at night, as she is from PG county, but I'm getting desperate enough to find something, that I just may have to get an apartment in the area.

I've already sent a gang of emails out to listings that I have found around the area. I've gotten one response so far, but I will keep searching.

Also, I finally did my FAFSA, and sent the Letter of Understanding and the Institutional App out yesterday!

Haha, My friend told me to stay away from SE at night, as she is from PG county, but I'm getting desperate enough to find something, that I just may have to get an apartment in the area.

I've already sent a gang of emails out to listings that I have found around the area. I've gotten one response so far, but I will keep searching.

Also, I finally did my FAFSA, and sent the Letter of Understanding and the Institutional App out yesterday!

Flow and Max, I'll second that. I ventured out into the Southeast that weekend and it was like I was back at home!:D

did you send in your credit report, and tax return copy, etc. etc?

Flow and Max, I'll second that. I ventured out into the Southeast that weekend and it was like I was back at home!:D

LOL fish - "it was like I was back at home"

Also, you can just scan and email your docs as opposed to snailmailing them. Just make sure the PDF package is below 1MB for MSOutlook users' sakes.