GEMS Georgetown 2009-2010

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MeDMERgency

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Guess ill start up the thread ... applying for 2009 ... for anyone of you guys who went through the program, feedback would be a +

Wish me luck

Members don't see this ad.

Me too! Still have to send in the app though

Members don't see this ad :)
I just sent in my application yesterday. good luck to everyone! oh, and if you haven't yet, you should check out DrJD's blog about his georgetown SMP experience

Good Luck Everyone!

I have a slightly silly question. How did you guys type onto the pdf application? When it comes up on my computer, I can't type on to it. Did you write on the application or find some way to type on to it?

I have a slightly silly question. How did you guys type onto the pdf application? When it comes up on my computer, I can't type on to it. Did you write on the application or find some way to type on to it?

I couldn't type on it either. I wrote on it (really neat) and then typed up the essay questions

Do you know if there is a way to have the application fee waived? I thought this program was for disadvantaged people; yet they ask for $130!

^ I emailed them and asked if they would accept the FAP letter and this is the response I received:

If you wish to request a fee waiver for GEMS, you must have obtained a few waiver from AMCAS. Then, attach a note to the front page of your GEMS application, asking that the GEMS application fee be waived. Your request will be considered.
-GEMS Staff

How did you guys go about answering this question:

What do you consider to be your community? To what extent and in what way are you involved in your community?

Any help/advice would greatly be appreciated!

I applied to this program as well...I just turned in my application last wednesday...and the wait begins.

this is a silly question...but can someone tell me who we should make our checks payable to:confused:

Hmmm...I only have my FAP letter from 2008. I didn't apply for the 2009 FAP. Do you think I should just send in the '08 FAP?

Thank you moto for letting me know! Very helpful!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys,

On the checklist for the GEMS app, it says something about a complete official pre-medical packet. What exactly is that?

Thanks.

Maybe the committee letter recommendation vs. individual letters.

Usually premedical packets are packets of letters from the committee.

Do you guys know if the packet has to include science professor letters?

Also did you guys send your transcripts?

Do you guys know if the packet has to include science professor letters?

Also did you guys send your transcripts?

Two letters both written by recent science or math instructors; or
Your official pre-medical packet (if your school has this option)

I got an e-mail saying they needed my transcript if I had completed classes after my AMCAS was verified.

Hope that helps.

The website also has a checklist & Q&A that answers most general questions.
http://som.georgetown.edu/documents/GEMS Checklist2 2009.pdf

Good Luck All!

Last edited:
Thank you for the response beerog2003. I have a premed packet which contains three letters from different faculty, but I did not take a science class with them. Will that work?

Two letters both written by recent science or
math instructors; or
Your official pre-medical packet (if your school has this option)

I got an e-mail saying they needed my transcript if I had completed classes after my AMCAS was verified.

Hope that helps.

The website also has a checklist & Q&A that answers most general questions.
http://som.georgetown.edu/documents/GEMS Checklist2 2009.pdf

Good luck to all those applying!! I'm hoping to send out my stuff by this Monday. To answer letter of rec question posted prior to my post, I called GEMS and they said that there's an emphasis on obtaining letters from the latest science/math class instructors you have matriculated through. I've been out of undergrad for about two years now, so I'm banking on my lab PI's letters + one other undergrad professor. My personal advice, if you know that at least 2/3 of your current letters are awesome, make sure to keep those in your packet but see if you can get a science prof. to write you something. Just my two cents....

and oh yeah....GOOD LUCK EVERYONE!!

hey guys I have just a quick technical question about the application process...when is the latest can someone take their MCAT? Is the January MCAT all right for example?

hey guys I have just a quick technical question about the application process...when is the latest can someone take their MCAT? Is the January MCAT all right for example?

When I asked about the same question last May (2008), I was told the latest would be the August 2008 MCAT. If you look at the application, under the MCAT Score reporting section, it said MCAT no earlier than January 2007 and no later than October 2008. I hope this helps.

Good luck!

Any input would be great!

I am not sure if I should apply to GEMS Program. What do you guys think?

My Stats:
Undergraduate GPA = 2.22
Undergraduate BCPM = 2.09
Graduate GPA: 3.653.
MCAT = 24R

I have researched for 3 years and still going. Currently I have 2 publications and numerous poster presentations.

I am the president of my graduate class.

My low undergrad GPA was due to unforseen family health and financial problems. I was homeless (lived out of my undergraute campus library illegally) for a period of nearly 2 years.

I am completing my graduate school at a a top ranking UC University (I want to keep location private because I dont want to be identified). It was a miracle that I even got into a graduate school of this caliber.

Should i apply to the GEMS program? Even if I get in, would I even have a chance at medical school with my low undergraduate GPA?

I have read that GEMS calls you to let you know that you have been granted an interview. Does anyone know if they call you and let you know if you haven't been granted one or do they just not call?

GEMS has a linkage with Gtown med so there would be a chance you'd get in. You should try and apply. If you have no section lower then a 7 in your MCAT scores, then I'd also apply to the Wake Forest Postbac program and also to the DPMS program at Drexel. It is worth the try and an SMP type of program whether minority/disadvantaed persons based or regular SMP carries far more weight then a normal graduate degree in getting into med school.

Thank you gujuDoc for your suggestions and word of encouragement. When you speak of the GEMS Linkage, how does it work?

I am guessing that GEMS wnats their GEMS' Students to submit an AMCAS during the same year they are in the program right?

Do GTown Medical School's admission committee look at the GEMS students during the year where the students are in the GEMS Program or do they only look at the GEMS students only after they have completed the postbac program?

Thank you gujuDoc for your suggestions and word of encouragement. When you speak of the GEMS Linkage, how does it work?

I am guessing that GEMS wnats their GEMS' Students to submit an AMCAS during the same year they are in the program right?

Do GTown Medical School's admission committee look at the GEMS students during the year where the students are in the GEMS Program or do they only look at the GEMS students only after they have completed the postbac program?

To OnTheFly: your particular case seems to be what the GEMS committee looks for in candidates. Since GEMS is a program for underrepresented and underprivileged students to show that despite their poor college academic performance for whatever reason they have the ability and willingness to succeed in medical school. I feel like you have a good chance but you never know with adcoms they are unpredictable.

With respect to the GEMS/GU Med connection, GEMS is under the med school. A lot of GEMS students end up getting admitted into GU Med once they demonstrated they're capable of handling the workload. GEMS students will be evaluated throughout the year based not only on academics but character, behavior and professionalism. In terms of the academics you will be taking a grad level Biochemistry class and 3 medical school classes in which you are required to score at or above the medical school mean. In terms of non-cognatives, just keep in mind that it's like a year long interview process and you should be fine. Professionalism, however, is key. Finally, yes, you will be applying to medical schools while in your GEMS year. Hope that helps.

Ischemic: Thank you very much for your insightful response and I truly appreciate you and everyone on this board for taking the time to respond. I understand everyone is very busy with their application process, as well as their studies.

I really hope that GEMS will consider me as a great candidate for their program. After reading more about the GEMS program form last years forum and also, my own research about the program in the recent months, I have decided to apply as well.

Please wish me luck and everyone, Good Luck!

I am in a little predicament: I am applying to the GEMS program now or at least thinking about it but I don't know if I should apply or not because I got a 17 on my MCAT when the cut off is 20. Everything else, my GPA and science GPA is fine. but I don't know if they are really strict on the cut off for Georgetown? Please let me know asap. Thank you

I was wondering if anyone received a postcard from the GEMS Program notifying them of their application profile being complete and ready for review yet?

If so, how long did it take from the time you mailed your application to receiving the postcard?

I am sending mine out today.

I was wondering if anyone received a postcard from the GEMS Program notifying them of their application profile being complete and ready for review yet?

If so, how long did it take from the time you mailed your application to receiving the postcard?

I am sending mine out today.

I mailed my application out on Feb 27 and my appliction was complete on Mar 4. Received the postcard the following day. We also had a snow storm that Mon so campus was closed and that day doesn't count. All in all, it took a little less than a week. If you get your application in with verified AMCAS and check and have your LORs in it shouldn't take more than a week. Hope this helps.

hey onthefly, I did not receive a post-card but I called today and they told I was complete and that my application had been forwarded..the number is on the website.

p.s. we have VERY similar backgrounds so best of luck to you...it would be nice to see GEMS give us a chance and see our perseverance...

Thanks to all who have responded. I will definitely follow up with a phone call inquiring on the status of my application if I do not receive a post card from GEMS within the next week or two.

nalchman: I sure hope GEMS Program will give us and everyone a fighting chance.

Has anyone noticed that although the GEMS website states that the application download will end on March 15 it is still available even though two days have passed since then? Thought that was interesting :D

Does anyone know if GEMS students are upon successful completion of the program guaranteed an interview at Georgetown School of Medicine? Any information would be great.

Does anyone know if GEMS students are upon successful completion of the program guaranteed an interview at Georgetown School of Medicine? Any information would be great.

As I mentioned above, there are several factors that go into eventually being granted an interview. First, you have to satisfy the academic requirements. On top of that they also evaluate your professional and personal demeanor during the school year. So just because you get all Honors in your classes but are offensive to everyone else in the program you WILL NOT be granted an interview.

Good luck to you guys applying. See you on interview day.

Has anyone noticed that although the GEMS website states that the application download will end on March 15 it is still available even though two days have passed since then? Thought that was interesting :D

Well, the deadline for sending all documents to GTown GEMS Program is March 27, 2009. From all the information that I have read, GEMS Program appears to be stringent on their policy.

Perhaps, GEMS is giving those who have yet to complete their application a chance to complete them. For example, if someone made a mistake writing their information, the application is there for re-download. What ever the case may be, I am sure there is a valid reason.

Once again, Good luck everyone!

Good Luck! =) Although I can't answer any questions about the GEMS curriculum (because Georgetown just implemented a new curriculum for the 1st yr students), I am happy to answer any general questions you have about the interview and / or the program.

As I mentioned above, there are several factors that go into eventually being granted an interview. First, you have to satisfy the academic requirements. On top of that they also evaluate your professional and personal demeanor during the school year. So just because you get all Honors in your classes but are offensive to everyone else in the program you WILL NOT be granted an interview.

Good luck to you guys applying. See you on interview day.

Hello Ischemic. Are you a current student at GEMS? I am just wondering because you had said "See you on interview day".

If you are, can you elaborate on the program experience as well?

Thank you in advance!

Out of curiousity do the GEMS students do the same courses as the SMP students???

What is the difference besides the size and fact that if you do well and are good professionally, etc. etc. you have a higher chance of getting into Gtown?

Are the curricula of the 2 programs the same?? I'm just curious cuz I tried to look up the GEMS curricula to see what was or not different. But the website has very little info for GEMS compared to the info for the SMP.

BTW I'm on the waitlist at the SMP not applying to GEMS. Just asking for comparisons sake.

I am also very interested in the answer to the above question. Thank you!

The 2 programs are completely different. There are over 150 SMP students and only 30 or so GEMS students every year. SMP has their own curriculum and is apart of the graduate school "system". GEMS is a program under the school of medicine. SMP students take more 1st year courses than the GEMS students.

Out of curiousity do the GEMS students do the same courses as the SMP students???

What is the difference besides the size and fact that if you do well and are good professionally, etc. etc. you have a higher chance of getting into Gtown?

Are the curricula of the 2 programs the same?? I'm just curious cuz I tried to look up the GEMS curricula to see what was or not different. But the website has very little info for GEMS compared to the info for the SMP.

BTW I'm on the waitlist at the SMP not applying to GEMS. Just asking for comparisons sake.

As WJDD stated SMP and GEMS are somewhat different. The SMP program is geared more for individuals with individuals with adequate GPAs and MCATs who for whatever reason did not get into med school and are trying to prove themselves by taking med school classes. GEMS however is geared to underrepresented and underprivileged minorities that do not have a decent GPA or MCAT due to some issues in college.

The GEMS program has been a great experience. It's a great way to really learn if medicine is truely what you want to do and if you can handle the workload at medical school. The staff are also very supportive in all ways imaginable and I've definitely enjoyed my experience. That being said, it's also not a breeze. You have to always be on top of your game and you need to treat the program as if it's the only thing in your life because it does demand/require that much dedication. If you have any other specific question please don't hesitate to send a private message.

Does anyone know if Turkish people are considered URMs. Any info would be great. Thanks.

Good Luck! =) Although I can't answer any questions about the GEMS curriculum (because Georgetown just implemented a new curriculum for the 1st yr students), I am happy to answer any general questions you have about the interview and / or the program.

I'm curious.. I may be getting a bit ahead of myself, but if I am accepted into the GEMS program, am I considered a graduate student for financial aid benefits or would I be considered a post-bacc student? If I am considered a post-bacc, how does that affect how much financial aid I get? Furthermore, is other aid easy to come by should I need it? Thanks in advance for your help.

I don't think Turkish people are considered URMs. Although, I wish they were! I'm Turkish, too! :)

How strict is the GEMs program on the MCAT score date? I took one in August 2006 and January 2009. It says on the app that the latest they accept is October 2008. Is there a reason for this?:(

How strict is the GEMs program on the MCAT score date? I took one in August 2006 and January 2009. It says on the app that the latest they accept is October 2008. Is there a reason for this?:(

I would think they're pretty strict about this one. An October 2008 MCAT exam is the latest accepted for the entering med (allopathic) school class of 2009.. so since you have to be currently applying to medical school, I dont think a January date will count. Im guessing the August 2006 is too old (since they ask for no earlier than January 2007).

Call them and find out... you've got 3 days left! I called today about my status & they were really nice/helpful. Good luck.. and Good luck to everyone!

They are very strict about it. Wouldn't hurt to ask though.

I asked and they won't accept it, eventhough my primary application was verified and reviewed last year. I had to push back my MCAT date since I didn't have time to adequatley prepare for it. :(