Gems 2011-12

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
i got the same caution as well from them. congrats to those who got interview calls as well! :) as far as meet ups go, dupont circle would be great.. heard there were a few things around over there we can check out. i'm thinking late afternoon-evening to give people time to arrive and get to their hotels... so like 6 or something.

Members don't see this ad.

nomatterwhat- are you a boy or a girl? Asking because I am probably interested in splitting a room but I am a girl.

Members don't see this ad :)
Ok I am going to try to book a flight and figure it out from there, what days are you staying?

nomatterwhat- how much was the room in total (with taxes)?

For April 18th people, I know there has been talk about meeting up on Saturday, however I get in on Sunday morning :( Would some of you want to meet up like Sunday afternoon, like around 2ish? I'm thinking that most people should be in DC by Sunday afternoon and all settled into their hotels.

nomatter-did you book just one night from the 1st to the 2nd?

For April 18th people, I know there has been talk about meeting up on Saturday, however I get in on Sunday morning :( Would some of you want to meet up like Sunday afternoon, like around 2ish? I'm thinking that most people should be in DC by Sunday afternoon and all settled into their hotels.

That is a good idea. I second that!

Haha! No problem.. We can do the meeting on Sunday afternoon... In fact, we can do two rendezvous for folks that are getting there early if they are interested. There's no reason not to have more than one.. Hopefully all of us here on sdn will be classmates in a few anyway! :) so I'm thinking maybe just meet for coffee on Saturday evening if interested, but maybe more of a lunch/dinner thing on Sunday? we'll try to scope out some good places. What's the budget for folks so I can search for good eats within our price ranges. A lot of us are poor students.. Lol!

It's almost that time gang.. Excited? Nervous? Anxious? All of the above? :)

Members don't see this ad :)
I assume freaking out is always going on in our heads.. Lol

Hello all, I am interested in applying to the program next year and was curious to know if most of you who have interviews have taken anatomy/physiology and other upper level science courses. I'd appreciate your input and congratulations on the interviews!!

dreamydoc, i have taken a human phys course, but not an official anatomy course. And I've also taken a few upper level bio courses.

Xducexx... Unless a lot of people opposes, I'll assume that Dupont Circle is our spot for now

Dreamy, I've taken a few upper divisions as well, but everyone comes with different skill sets. If you have time/can, just bolster the sciences during this time since that's what seems to worry you. Even a primary rudimentary exposure is better than nothing if you have the time and means. :)

@May 2 interviewees: I'm going to book my plane ticket soon, so please let me know where you're interested in meeting up.

Last edited:
yeah I'm pretty nervous, just went out yesterday to get a nice suit outfit, since the one I had was not that flattering. For people that are interested in a Sunday afternoon dinner/lunch (dunch) I think Dupont circle would be fine, it seems like its only a 10 minute drive from campus, so maybe check out the campus and find the interview building afterward? I would like to not worry about trying to find parking and the building on the day of the interview at like 7am, so going to figure all that out Sunday afternoon...relieve some of the stress.

no call as of today so i guess im not invited to the interview :(

yeah I'm pretty nervous, just went out yesterday to get a nice suit outfit, since the one I had was not that flattering. For people that are interested in a Sunday afternoon dinner/lunch (dunch) I think Dupont circle would be fine, it seems like its only a 10 minute drive from campus, so maybe check out the campus and find the interview building afterward? I would like to not worry about trying to find parking and the building on the day of the interview at like 7am, so going to figure all that out Sunday afternoon...relieve some of the stress.

I highly advise not driving to GUSOM on the day of the interview, unless you want to pay $25 to park for the day and waste time in traffic. School is very accessible from dupont with the GUTS bus- takes you straight to campus, and med-dent is just a few buildings away.

Everyone else- have hope, calls are going out until about the end of the month. Good Luck!

NoMatter, ill probably be arriving on sunday may 1st around 2ish. I'm free to meet up after that.

Coffee on Saturday evening sounds good to me... where should we meet?

I highly advise not driving to GUSOM on the day of the interview, unless you want to pay $25 to park for the day and waste time in traffic. School is very accessible from dupont with the GUTS bus- takes you straight to campus, and med-dent is just a few buildings away.

Everyone else- have hope, calls are going out until about the end of the month. Good Luck!

True, I won't be driving the day of the interview, however I'm still going to check things out beforehand. If any 4/18 people are interested on a Sunday meet up, please let me know. I can't wait to meet everyone soon!

I read Filter coffeehouse is good there.. Can anyone comment if they've been there or can suggest a good coffeehouse?

I'm sure many of us would be interested in meeting on sat and/or sun. I plan on doing both personally..

What time do you plan on arriving on the day of the interview? Like, 7:30 or something.

I'm planning on getting there around 7:30ish on interview day. Also, for the Sunday afternoon meetup, what do people want to do? A relaxed and easy to find place like Chipotle or Five guys? Probably something not too pricey right.

dreamydoc, i have taken a human phys course, but not an official anatomy course. And I've also taken a few upper level bio courses.

Dreamy, I've taken a few upper divisions as well, but everyone comes with different skill sets. If you have time/can, just bolster the sciences during this time since that's what seems to worry you. Even a primary rudimentary exposure is better than nothing if you have the time and means. :)

Thank you both for your replies. My other question is about the disadvantaged status criteria for the program. I am an URM but have not marked that I am disadvantaged in my AMCAS. Is it a requirement to be recognized as disadvantaged on the AMCAS? Best of luck on your interviews!

I'm planning on getting there around 7:30ish on interview day. Also, for the Sunday afternoon meetup, what do people want to do? A relaxed and easy to find place like Chipotle or Five guys? Probably something not too pricey right.

IN n Out>five guys. my loyalty is solid lol.

Ooooh.. I heard GREAT things about 5 guys...!:thumbup:

IN n Out>five guys. my loyalty is solid lol.

Sooo not an In & Out fan.. (sorry) :) I do like Jack in the Box though...

PS: We're throwing around the idea of Filter Coffeehouse on Saturday (16th) for the early comers... just to have a cup of java and chill until the rest of the gang arrives on Sunday.. :) maybe between 6 and 7pm..? thoughts?

hey may 2 interviewees, I recently booked my flight and will be getting to town on sunday at 2:19 pm (to DCA). If anyone is getting there around that time and wants to get together, look at the school, walk around w.e let me know. Also, it would be nice to get together that day, unless anyone has suggestions I will look online for places.

PS: We're throwing around the idea of Filter Coffeehouse on Saturday (16th) for the early comers... just to have a cup of java and chill until the rest of the gang arrives on Sunday.. :) maybe between 6 and 7pm..? thoughts?

^^ i am in

Hey April,

I checked out the website for Filter Coffeehouse, and it looks like they close @7pm :( looks like we might need a new meeting place

It seems that people have strong feelings in regards to burgers :) So, how about Chipotle then? Also there is no In and Out burger in Dupont. As of right now it looks like this is the plan:

Saturday evening-Coffee meet up includes :
xINAx
xducexx
AprilFool

Sunday afternoon-late lunch meet up includes:
xINAx
xducexx
AprilFool
FitDoctorChick

no more calls?

good luck next week April 18th interviewees!

Hey guys, it must be exciting getting all geared up for the interview next week. I hope that you all have a blast and try to do your best to sell yourself.

Good luck and way to go! :)

Hey guys, it must be exciting getting all geared up for the interview next week. I hope that you all have a blast and try to do your best to sell yourself.

To all those waiting to hear back. It aint over till the fat lady sings. You still have a few weeks left. Have hope and stay positive :)

thanks Good! it's not over yet, stay positive!!!

Did anyone get the letter in the mail??? I stiill haven't received anything from GEMS about our interview...

thanks Good! it's not over yet, stay positive!!!

Did anyone get the letter in the mail??? I stiill haven't received anything from GEMS about our interview...

are we suppose to get something in the mail? I thought the email with the letter attachment was all we were getting.

are we suppose to get something in the mail? I thought the email with the letter attachment was all we were getting.

I believe that email attachment was in place of the snail mail package that they used to give out the years beforehand

Question for current or former GEMS: are the interviews conducted individually or panel style? Do interviewees go alone or as small groups to interview?