Gems 2011-12

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hey I've just recently signed on to my student doc account. My GEMS interview is scehduled for april 18 as well and I was wondering if I could meet up with the rest of you guys for sunday. :)

Members don't see this ad.

Of course! As soon as we have something viable planned.. We're thinking an early evening coffee on Sat and maybe a late lunch on Sunday, I believe.

Hey guys.. How about Java House for Saturday? They're open until 8p and only a few blocks away from the metro?

Members don't see this ad :)
To April:

Interviews are conducted on a one-on-one basis. You'll have two of them some time throughout the day. For the assessment tests, these are done as a small group. :)

Gluck this coming week to everyone!

Hey guys.. How about Java House for Saturday? They're open until 8p and only a few blocks away from the metro?

this sounds good. where exactly is it? dupont circle?

@senior: of course, it would be awesome if you joined!

How is everyone preparing for the interviews?

I assume most questions will be general or based on the application.

To April:

Interviews are conducted on a one-on-one basis. You'll have two of them some time throughout the day. For the assessment tests, these are done as a small group. :)

Gluck this coming week to everyone!

Thanks and you too, Tweety.. :)

So whats the deal with the Sunday meet up? Are people cool with meeting at 2pm in Dupont Circle? If transportation is an issue, I will have a car and could pick people up....that does not mean I know the DC area though :) lol.

So whats the deal with the Sunday meet up? Are people cool with meeting at 2pm in Dupont Circle? If transportation is an issue, I will have a car and could pick people up....that does not mean I know the DC area though :) lol.

I don't know where people exactly want to go yet, but Dupont Circle should be fine. I kinda vote for 5 brothers (i think that's what it is).. =) Oh yeah, and if people need a ride, I'll have a car too.

I don't know where people exactly want to go yet, but Dupont Circle should be fine. I kinda vote for 5 brothers (i think that's what it is).. =) Oh yeah, and if people need a ride, I'll have a car too.

So, I'm very flexible and would do 5 guys burger at 2pm. Please reply if your in for this Sunday meet up. Here is the address and phone #.

1645 Connecticut Avenue Northwest
Washington D.C., DC 20009-1054
(202) 328-3483

Hi I new to the student forum, but have been following threads for awhile. Congrats to everyone who has received interviews. Has anyone received a rejection notice yet?

Members don't see this ad :)
So, I'm very flexible and would do 5 guys burger at 2pm. Please reply if your in for this Sunday meet up. Here is the address and phone #.

(202) 328-3483

that sounds good! i am in

I got the email after I had told them which interview date I was going to attend.

I want to wish good luck to all people interviewing this coming Monday!!! You all made it this far based on what's on paper, now it's time to really show them why you deserve this chance face to face.

Also, I thought you guys should know that the weather forcast for the DC area this weekend is calling for a lot of rain on saturday, but sunday and monday look nice.

again, safe travels and best wishes:laugh:

Thank you fitdoctorchick, I got the phone call and I have not received an email yet. Is there anything on the email that is time sensitive that I should be concerned about? As for everyone who is about to interview. Good luck!!!

question for former GEMS and current GEMS:
of those students that went to other med schools.. did they take the mcat again during their GEMS year or before it? or were their mcats good already, and other factors were what led them to the GEMS path?

Thank you fitdoctorchick, I got the phone call and I have not received an email yet. Is there anything on the email that is time sensitive that I should be concerned about? As for everyone who is about to interview. Good luck!!!
The email includes a schedule for the interview day, and lists the hotels that you can stay.

Saturday coffee lovers.. or tea :)

JAVA HOUSE at 6p till whenever.. (i'll be there until we leave-- coffee lover here)

1645 Q St NW
(between N 16th St & N 17th St)
Washington, DC 20009
Neighborhood: Dupont Circle
(202) 387-6622

Happy Hour Specials
Monday - Friday
4PM - 8PM

All bottles of Wine $18.
All beers $4.

question for former GEMS and current GEMS:
of those students that went to other med schools.. did they take the mcat again during their GEMS year or before it? or were their mcats good already, and other factors were what led them to the GEMS path?

You won't have time to study for the MCAT during GEMS. You'll be too busy focusing on doing well in all the medical modules and trying to stay on top of course work. They actually tell you specifically to not study for the MCAT. I'm sure that those that got into other med schools had decent MCAT scores but for those that don't your best chance at med school admissions will be through the GEMS program.

You won't have time to study for the MCAT during GEMS. You'll be too busy focusing on doing well in all the medical modules and trying to stay on top of course work. They actually tell you specifically to not study for the MCAT. I'm sure that those that got into other med schools had decent MCAT scores but for those that don't your best chance at med school admissions will be through the GEMS program.

thanks for the quick reply, nichomachean, but i guess my real big question is this: assuming a successful year in GEMS, because we're not going to be doing MCATs again, will Georgetown be the only school we can feasibly apply for med school because of our MCATs or will that be balanced with seeing our performance in the program? (ie have you heard of other US med schools accept GEMS graduates despite low MCAT scores?)

Not saying going to Georgetown would be a bad thing.. it would be fabulous! However, i was just thinking for hypothetical future application, if it would even make sense to submit applications to as wide a distribution of med schools as before (thinking of cost effectiveness.... money spent on applications or save money for G-town?) thanks in advance!

http://som.georgetown.edu/docs/GEMS Information Letter Final2011.pdf

There doesn't seem to be a GPA/MCAT requirement but they said they're most receptive to GPAs that are 2.4 or higher, and MCAT scores above a 20.
how do you think they would view my application?-
-I was half way through medical school when I was in an accident leaving me in coma
`~11 yrs of rehab for my brain stem injury and I was rejected from going back to my old med school for being gone more than 5 years
so I took the MCAT and got a 23, 2.6 gpa(I was in medical school and didnt need to do better)
so now Im gonnna spend 4 months doing the 4 month study program..I live in missouri
I'm honestly not even sure what the GEMS program is....:D

Well that depends on each applicant's MCAT scores. If you look at AAMC and the number of people that matriculate into med school based on MCAT scores, you see that although low, some people still get in with MCATs between 25-30, which by many standards is low. However, you can parlay your performance during GEMS against Georgetown M1s with avg scores of 33+ as an indicator that you can succeed. It worked for me. Needless for me to say that the better your MCAT the better your chances overall but at the end of the day you can only attend 1 school and I will repeat that Georgetown is your best chance. Work your ass off during GEMS and you have a good chance. That being said, never put your eggs in 1 basket so apply to schools that either have given you interviews in the past or apply to your state schools, DO schools, etc.

thanks for the clarification. :) on another note, i have touched ground in dc.. see you guys (some of you) in a few hours!

Well that depends on each applicant's MCAT scores. If you look at AAMC and the number of people that matriculate into med school based on MCAT scores, you see that although low, some people still get in with MCATs between 25-30, which by many standards is low. However, you can parlay your performance during GEMS against Georgetown M1s with avg scores of 33+ as an indicator that you can succeed. It worked for me.
So at least a 33 would help you get into Gtown, or other schools? Let's say if your performance during GEMS is great, do you need a high MCAT to get into Gtown?
Do you know the MCAT scores of the former GEMS who got acceptances to other schools, by any chance?

It was great meeting some of you guys this evening! Hope to see the rest of the crew tomorrow-- 32 hours before show time!

(202) 328-3483

Nice meeting you April and Duce.

FidDoctorChick (and anyone else who is coming tomorrow), we were thinking to meet at 5 guys at the corner of Wisconsin Ave. and Dumbarton. It seems like a happening place, and it's close to GeorgetownU, we could walk over and check out the campus if anyone is interested. Would that location work for everyone?

Nice meeting you April and Duce.

FidDoctorChick (and anyone else who is coming tomorrow), we were thinking to meet at 5 guys at the corner of Wisconsin Ave. and Dumbarton. It seems like a happening place, and it's close to GeorgetownU, we could walk over and check out the campus if anyone is interested. Would that location work for everyone?

Count me in :)

PS Sorry for the crazy driving.. lol!! :D

Sounds good. Im At the airport waiting for my 6am flight. Cant wait to get to dc and meet u guys.:)

It is kind of hard to believe it, but tomorrow is just around the corner. Have fun at your interview!!:)

Hey NoMatter..I should be arriving in DC around 1230 on sunday, and probably to my hotel (Latham Hotel..near dupont circle i believe) around 1:15. I will be free after that to meet up..did you have anything in mind (coffee? dinner?)

Also Apr18th guys, best of luck on your interviews. From what I hear, just be alert, yourself, and open to everything they throw at you!

Dinner would be nice, since I don't plan on bringing food if I can help it .. haha
I'll be staying in the Guest House (near Gtown) with another interviewee.
I don't know if there's a cafeteria nearby. I'll call the Guest House to ask tomorrow.

good luck april 18 interviewees!

for the may 2 group- I think it would be nice to meet somewhere to get a bite to eat and then check out the campus etc.

good luck april 18 interviewees!

for the may 2 group- I think it would be nice to meet somewhere to get a bite to eat and then check out the campus etc.

That would be great. Also, I received the call a few days ago and I still haven't received an email regarding May 2nd. Should I call?

That would be great. Also, I received the call a few days ago and I still haven't received an email regarding May 2nd. Should I call?
Same with me. I didn't get the email until I called.

Last edited:
Hey! I'm new to the thread but have been following it for a quite sometime. I still haven't got the call yet(applied mid March), but I'm hoping something will turn around for me this week. What do you think my chances are? (East Coast fyi)

I received the email a day after I got the call but it just lists the schedule (basically be available may 2 from 8 am to 6:30 pm) and gives a list of hotels in the area and codes to get a discount for them.

aspdoc- I have no idea if calls are still going out, maybe the ppl who are interviewing today can give you some info depending on what they were told.

Thank you Glitteryrocks. I think I will call tomorrow. I am sure that they are busy today interviewing. Also, I should be arriving a day or two early in DC. I just want to get relaxed and comfortable before the big day.

Aspdoc2000- You still have a good 10 days of call backs. I wish you the best of luck. I wish I could be of more help.

glitteryrocks- i totally agree, we should figure out where to go, and i also need to be familiar with bus stops and what not. Hopefully you guys will wait till sunday afternoon when i get in :)

My flight lands in DCA at 2:19 pm on sunday so dont worry! What time will you guys be getting there so we can figure out what time to get together. Also, does anyone know if the GUTS bus is operating on the weekend, I heard it was only a weekday thing.

There's a cafeteria in the Guest House.

Last edited:
The may 2 interviewees are getting revved up I see.. :) it was great to meet all my fellow sdn'ers that socialized during this stressful period. You guys were awesome! Oh.. And to some of you who will remain unnamed (2 in particular in my head right now) who haven't joined sdn yet... Ahem... Come join! Lol!