Gems 2011-12

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
That's comforting. I like the idea of the adcom taking their time and giving my application thoughtful consideration. :thumbup:

I like that too. It is fair to say that the process is thorough which explains why they are able to give full consideration to applicants who submitted their applications during the last week.

Members don't see this ad.

Just booked my room, it's so expensive. I will be staying at Holiday Inn Georgetown (~160/night).

GoodToBeTrue and Rose, keep the faith, you have a whole week ahead of you to get an interview invite! I hope I see you both there...

Just booked my room, it's so expensive. I will be staying at Holiday Inn Georgetown (~160/night).

GoodToBeTrue and Rose, keep the faith, you have a whole week ahead of you to get an interview invite! I hope I see you both there...

Thanks xINAx !!!

Try to go early so that you can find the Bldg. and room # in advance. From what I've heard, you do not want to be late. Good luck and way to go !! :)

Members don't see this ad :)
wow what happened to the phone calls?! i wish they would just call everyone on the same day instead of this waiting game... :thumbdown:

good luck everyone and hopefully we get some calls soon!

I signed up for the 18th today. The call was around 2 EST, and I was marked complete near the first week of March. I am just waiting for the email with all of the information.

lourdes - (complete) california

goodtobetrue - (complete) new england area

rose croix - (complete) al

tima (complete) md

coolski - (status) md

dreamhope

vickyl - (status) d.c area

aldokid1

futuredoctor 09

falore

dr. Flagators

babo - (complete) rainbwbuterflys - (complete)

arim - (complete) nj

1913babydoc - (complete) nj

pjoojoo (complete) ca

composition - (complete) tx

ilovegod - (complete) maryland

sonnybobiche - (complete) nj

glitteryrocks - (complete) (FL)

uckylay83 - (status) ( )

Tweety22 - (Complete ) (California) Interview Request- 03/31 ~3:00
Pacific Time

xducexx - (Complete) (California) Interview Request - 03/31 ~3:00 Pacific Time

xinax - (Complete) (Utah) Interview Request -03/31 ~4:00 Mountain Time

rainbwbuterflys - (Complete)(East Coast) Interview Request 4/1 ~

AprilFool - (Complete) (West Coast) Interview Request 03/31 ~

NeuroMD28 - (complete) (East Coast ) Interview Request 4/4~ A.M. EST

Lysinee- (Complete) (East Coast) Interview Request 4/5 ~ 2 P.M EST

IlladeplhNarm- (Complete) ( ) Interview Request 4/5 ~

Last edited:
I signed up for the 18th today. The call was around 2 EST, and I was marked complete near the first week of March. I am just waiting for the email with all of the information.

Congrats to you. Its good to know calls are still going out. :xf:

Thanks for letting us know! Congrats!!

Hey Lysinee,

Good luck and welcome to the thread!

Thank you everyone.

More calls should be coming this week.

Hey guys..This is actually my first time posting, but I received a call for an interview invite. I picked May 2nd..anyone else interviewing on that date?

congrats to everyone who has gotten interviews so far. if anyone is interviewing on the 18th, i'll be there on saturday. i was hoping to gather our group of interviewees prior to monday for a get together to get acquainted over there.. calm some nerves... meet our support group.. =) perhaps a lunch or coffee if during the day.. or maybe dinner.. thoughts anyone?

hope to meet some of you this month.

Members don't see this ad :)

tima (complete) md

coolski - (status) md

dreamhope

aldokid1

futuredoctor 09

falore

dr. Flagators

babo - (complete)

arim - (complete) nj

pjoojoo (complete) ca

glitteryrocks - (complete) (FL)

uckylay83 - (status) ( )

Tweety22 - (Complete ) (California) Interview Request- 03/31 ~3:00 Pacific Time

IlladeplhNarm- (Complete) (PA ) Interview Request 4/5 ~ 2 PM

Last edited:
oh also, i'm in pittsburgh, and i got a call around 145pm. Good luck to you all.

Hey everyone! Congrats to everyone who has received a call! Also, I am new to the forum and was curious if anybody knows how many weeks do they send out interview calls?

7. Please DO NOT inquire by phone or email regarding Interview Selection. Contact information provided on the GEMS application will be used to notify applicants in a timely manner for appropriate travel arrangements for either April or May interview dates. Interview notifications may occur throughout the month of April, and to efficiently process admissions files, office staff will not respond to inquiries for interview status or to applicants whose files have been noted as "complete".

7. Please DO NOT inquire by phone or email regarding Interview Selection. Contact information provided on the GEMS application will be used to notify applicants in a timely manner for appropriate travel arrangements for either April or May interview dates. Interview notifications may occur throughout the month of April, and to efficiently process admissions files, office staff will not respond to inquiries for interview status or to applicants whose files have been noted as “complete”.

If only they picked one of us each day for the whole month :rolleyes:

AprilFool I am arriving on Saturday as well. I would be more than glad to meet up and have some discussions prior to the interview.

AprilFool I am arriving on Saturday as well. I would be more than glad to meet up and have some discussions prior to the interview.

Hey guys, I am also arriving sat as well. It would be gr8 to meet before hand!

Also, does anybody know how many people they are roughly going to interview?

thanks

Last edited:
hey guys! that's awesome that at least some of us will be there a few days before. i can arrange a meeting place near Georgetown or at Dupont Circle (I heard the circle has some GREAT places for food etc). Let me know if you guys want me to do something like that. :)

Would you like to do the same, meet up with each other the evening before the interview? :)
But I'm new to DC so if anyone can suggest a place, that would be great!

Last edited:
Yea, i'm down to meet up may 1st evening. I plan on arriving around 2pm-ish that day.

Is Gtown Guest House within walking distance (like 5-10 minute walk) to the school?
If it is, I plan to stay there.
Would anyone interviewing on May 2nd like to split the cost with me?

Last edited:
If I recall correctly, the Georgetown University Hotel is right behind the med school.. correct me if I'm wrong. So if you are staying there, it will be VERY convenient.

Are we supposed to enter the Med and Dental building for the interview? It only says to come to the GUSOM campus.

To current GEMS:
How is your experience with GEMS?
How many students have been accepted to med schools so far?
Do you guys get hard copies of modules?
Are exams all multiple-choice?

The hotel allocated in the Leavy center should be about 3-5 mins. away from the med. school campus.

To current GEMS:
How is your experience with GEMS?
How many students have been accepted to med schools so far?
Do you guys get hard copies of modules?
Are exams all multiple-choice?

-Experience with the GEMS program has been answered in earlier posts.
-Some have been accepted to other med. schools and/or have upcoming interviews; as far as an interview for GUSOM, we will be notified either this week or next
-Everything is electronic now (started with our year); hardcopies were used before but now everything is jampacked into a .PDF file and single .PPT files
-All module examinations are multiple-choice

Hi Current/Former GEMS students,

I read over previous posts and many suggested there is no need to study for the test on interview day. For a non-traditional student who hasn't had a class in over a year, would you suggest pulling out an MCAT book to brush up on the basics?

Thanks!

-Everything is electronic now (started with our year); hardcopies were used before but now everything is jampacked into a .PDF file and single .PPT files
Wow, do you take notes on the laptop? Is this the same for med school?
For me, I don't have a notebook laptop, and I can't stare at a computer screen for hours.. I can't imagine how much it'll cost to print out hundreds, probably thousands, of pages... :( Why did they change how things were done? :(

Hi Current/Former GEMS students,

I read over previous posts and many suggested there is no need to study for the test on interview day. For a non-traditional student who hasn't had a class in over a year, would you suggest pulling out an MCAT book to brush up on the basics?

Thanks!

Not a bad idea; just MCAT Bio. though.

Wow, do you take notes on the laptop? Is this the same for med school?
For me, I don't have a notebook laptop, and I can't stare at a computer screen for hours.. I can't imagine how much it'll cost to print out hundreds, probably thousands, of pages... :( Why did they change how things were done? :(

A good amount of us take notes on our laptops; you can essentially take notes in a notebook during lecture and look at the slides on your own. Yes, it is the same for med. school. Print cost would probably range from 100-200 I presume (not sure). There is also audio available post-lecture so you can match it up to the slides.

There is also audio available post-lecture so you can match it up to the slides.
Are videos also available??

@Current/former GEMS: I've heard all the good things about GEMS. What about some of the not-so-good things that you might want to share?

Any more calls this week? :)

The website indicates that calls may go out throughout the month of April, so the waiting game continues. Keep the faith if you haven't gotten the call !!

I'm thinking maybe get together for dinner or drinks (coffee or otherwise) on Saturday night to allow time for everyone to get there and maybe settled at their hotel. I'm assuming most everyone will be using public transport. How does 7 or 8pm sound? :D

Hi all,

I just wanted to introduce myself, I am also interviewing on the 18th. This sounds like a great program and am excited for the interview. I got a call last Friday, I didn't post since they said not too, however now that a bunch you guys have posted, I decided to join in on the forum. I will be getting there Sunday mid-day and would love to meet up and maybe check out the campus, please let me know if anyone is interested.

Hi all,

I just wanted to introduce myself, I am also interviewing on the 18th. This sounds like a great program and am excited for the interview. I got a call last Friday, I didn't post since they said not too, however now that a bunch you guys have posted, I decided to join in on the forum. I will be getting there Sunday mid-day and would love to meet up and maybe check out the campus, please let me know if anyone is interested.

Hi FitDoctorChick,

Did the GEMS staff specifically tell you not to post on SDN? Or was it more in lines of keeping the information confidential?

Did anyone else who will be interviewing get this same directive? Thanks.

The GEMS staff just said to keep it on the "DL" since they did not want people calling. She did say not to post online, which I assumed to be such places as SDN or other social networks. However, after reading the forum and seeing that a handful of people here are talking about interviews, meet ups and where they are staying, I just had to join in on the conversation :)

The GEMS staff just said to keep it on the "DL" since they did not want people calling. She did say not to post online, which I assumed to be such places as SDN or other social networks. However, after reading the forum and seeing that a handful of people here are talking about interviews, meet ups and where they are staying, I just had to join in on the conversation :)

Thanks for the clarification and welcome to the forum!

Just for curiosity sake though: Did anyone else get the same advise?

Yes I got the same advice from the GEMS staff. They told me not to blog about my interview call as it was slow down the application process for others.

I was told the same :) That's why I said please don't call/email them, it slows them down...

I was told the same :) That's why I said please don't call/email them, it slows them down...

Yes I got the same advice from the GEMS staff. They told me not to blog about my interview call as it was slow down the application process for others.

But you guys went out of your way to let us know anyways. You guys earned some serious respect from me. Thank you. :soexcited::ninja:

interview invite for may 2nd!!!!!!!!!!!!! soo excited about this opportunity.

For those interviewing on May 2nd we should get together also the day before, if any current Gems students want to meet up and talk about your experience it would be great!

tima (complete) md

coolski - (status) md

dreamhope

aldokid1

futuredoctor 09

falore

dr. Flagators

babo - (complete)

arim - (complete) nj

pjoojoo (complete) ca

uckylay83 - (status) ( )

Tweety22 - (Complete ) (California) Interview Request- 03/31 ~3:00 Pacific Time

FitDoctorChick (Complete) ( ) Interview Request 4/1 ~

IlladeplhNarm- (Complete) (PA ) Interview Request 4/5 ~ 2 PM

glitteryrocks - (Complete) (FL) Interview Request 4/7 ~

Last edited:
Is there any place near GUSOM that we can meet?

Last edited:
interview invite for may 2nd!!!!!!!!!!!!! soo excited about this opportunity.

For those interviewing on May 2nd we should get together also the day before, if any current Gems students want to meet up and talk about your experience it would be great!

Hey Glitteryrocks,

Congratulations and way to go !!

so how do you guys want to go about meeting up before the 18th? i propose someplace around Dupont cirle or rossyln .... any other suggestions?