Gems 2011-12

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hello all! So I assume because it is June 3rd today, we have all heard from the GEMS acceptance committee. For those of you who have been accepted, CONGRATS!! And to those who were not, best of luck in pursuing your dreams and NEVER give up.

For new GEMS, I have some info from one of last years GEMS which might help :D

Below is some advice:

"Now is the time to brush up on your science knowledge. You will start with Physiology and Biochemistry. Try to know these courses like the back of your hand. You will be quizzed daily and asked to present orally on various topics in each of these diciplines. I recommend you buy now the BRS Physiology (Linda Costanzo) and BRS Biochemistry (Todd Swanson, kim, Glucksman). These will be books that you will come to use like crazy. Spend the next month really going over these books. I mean really going over them. Also do the practice problems at the end of each chapter."

Hope this helps!!!!!
I think that its either June 3 or June 6th (This upcoming Monday), at least that is what the e-mail stated.

Members don't see this ad.

Many of us are curious to know how many 2010 GEMS got admitted into GUSOM.. we're anxious about your results as much as we were anxious with ours..!

Second question: Is it Lehninger's Guide to Biochemistry or Lehninger's Principles of Biochemistry that they said we would need? I didn't see the "guide" but plenty of Principles books...

Last edited:
I am thinking the principles but they said guide.... hmm

Members don't see this ad :)
Many of us are curious to know how many 2010 GEMS got admitted into GUSOM.. we're anxious about your results as much as we were anxious with ours..!

Second question: Is it Lehninger's Guide to Biochemistry or Lehninger's Principles of Biochemistry that they said we would need? I didn't see the "guide" but plenty of Principles books...

Lehninger's Principles of Biochem is the main textbook that is used so you should get that one. The thing is you don't need to get the newest edition which is expensive but just get a used one an edition older and it'll be just fine. You'll be using it to study at your own pace anyway so differences in page numbers, etc don't matter as much. Also if you wait till you're in your upper classmen should have some resources for you too.

So, it seems that some of you are planning on doing some biochem studying prior to starting GEMS. Although I would say enjoy your free time, if you are dead set on studying good for you. Some things that I think would be helpful to focus on:
1. Know ALL the amino acids (structure, R-group pHs, their classification, etc)
2. Henderson-Hasselbach equation
3. Metabolic pathways and enzyme (glycolysis, TCA, electron transport chain, FA synthesis, FA beta oxidation)

Obviously, you're not going to be able to get through all of it ... #3 alone is like the entire 2nd half of your biochem class but if you just skim and try to get a feel of how each pathway is interconnected with other pathways and why they're interconnected that'll be enough base knowledge. Memorizing the enzymes and steps will be easier once you know the big picture. Plus, as I'm finding out right now, all that biochem comes back heavy when studying for boards so might as well learn it right the first time. Good luck to you people.

Reactions: 1 user

Results for Gems are in.. Please don't focus on the stats and percentages of accepted, it really doesn't give the full picture, but our stats were great!

Finished Gems: 22
Interviewed:20
Accepted: 17

Hey guys,

I just got an account on SDN. I was wondering, if I could have people's opinion on my status. I have a 3.2 GPA and 2.85 sGPA (bio major). What do you guys think I need to get on the MCAT to at least have a chance? I have adequate EC, 6 months of research experience, and roughly 2 years of clinical experience. I plan to apply next years (sorry, I know this forum is for this year, but I love this school) after taking the MCAT in March (or April) and taking 2 science classes at my nearby university to raise my sGPA, in the spring. That's for listening.

The average MCAT score of recent GEMS is about 23, but grades and scores aren't the only admissions criteria the committee focuses on. Regardless, you should always strive to do the best :)

And thanks LoveMyRam for telling us the results! Those are really good numbers! I wonder how many of us 2011-2012 GEMS there are. I cant wait to meet everybody in person!

Last edited:
The average MCAT score of recent GEMS is about 23, but grades and scores aren't the only admissions criteria the committee focuses on. Regardless, you should always strive to do the best :)

And thanks LoveMyRam for telling us the results! Those are really good numbers! I wonder how many of us 2011-2012 GEMS there are. I cant wait to meet everybody in person!

32 matriculating from last count. how many matriculated in 2010? guess that would be a more telling...

edit: according to the Q&A document on gems site, 31 were accepted. what happened to the other 9? did they not make it through the program?

PS
This is post #708.. you guys think we'll break 1k?

Last edited:
I just took this from the SMP page, but I assume the grading scale is the same.

Grading for SMP students will remain unchanged: it is done in such a way that grades illustrate competence in medical school courses. This is achieved because the SMP student's grades are based on the medical school grading curve. At Georgetown, medical students are graded on a Honors, High Pass, Pass, Low Pass, Fail grading curve. Physiology students are graded based on the medical school scale. The following grade conversion chart illustrates this.
Grade on Graduate Transcript Interpretation
A Honors for medical students
(top 10 to 15% of med class)
A- or B+ High Pass for medical students
(next 10 to 15% of med class)
B or B- Pass for medical students
(majority of first year med class)
C Unsatisfactory performance
F Unsatisfactory performance
No credit given for grad course

hi all been away on vacay but I did not get into GEMS (bummer:scared:). I do want to wish congrats to all who made it and for those who did not, it's not over and stay motivated! i know that I have not given up!

32 matriculating from last count. how many matriculated in 2010? guess that would be a more telling...

edit: according to the Q&A document on gems site, 31 were accepted. what happened to the other 9? did they not make it through the program?

PS
This is post #708.. you guys think we'll break 1k?

From what I saw in last year's GEMS 2009-2010 thread, 2 got straight into medical school so they declined, one declined for family reasons, and another decided to go to Drexel DPMS. For the other 5, many people aren't on SDN so it makes sense that we don't know about their reasons for not making it into the pool of finished GEMS (and I'm sure that within those 5 there were those who dropped out/didn't make it through).

hey guys, I just got back from dc yesterday and I got an apartment! I will be living on macarthur blvd and through mapquest its .76 miles from the med school which is 15 minutes walking or I can take the bus which is a two minute ride! For the people who plan to take cars do you think sedans are fine during winter (I've never lived where it snows). BTW how are you guys moving up there (driving a uhaul, i looked for prices and its about 1000.00 without including gas).

Has everyone found a place to live yet or are there still some of you looking for an apt/roommate?

I'm going down to DC on Thursday and have a couple of places I want to look at that are 2-4brs. One of the apartments is a 2br a mile from campus, completely redone. all utilities included, just over $1000 split. Let me know if you are interested :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Grading scale is a bit different, take a look at this syllabus for example:

http://som.georgetown.edu/docs/CP Syllabus Final _2009-10.pdf

You can find the syllabi for all the courses M1/M2 online via the curriculum page

As for the # of applicants accepted into GEMS our year, some got into other Post-Bac. programs, med school, and others decided to take a different route. We started with 24.

Word of advice: Go through the GEMS program as if there were no linkage. Get the best grades that you can possibly obtain and just picture it as a program tailored to strengthen your file for another med. school. The "linkage" is great nonetheless but worst case scenario: things don't go as planned but you have a transcript that shows that you can handle med. school curriculum. Always have a backup plan (and no, don't study for the MCAT since you won't have time to do so).

hi all been away on vacay but I did not get into GEMS (bummer:scared:). I do want to wish congrats to all who made it and for those who did not, it's not over and stay motivated! i know that I have not given up!
Hey I pm'd you.

Thanks! How about those who haven't even taken biochemistry? That's a tall order to know biochem like the back of your hand for those who have never seen biochem in a month. Are those the textbooks we'll be needing? I heard we didn't need to buy books from some previous posts of current GEMS

Do not buy any books right now. Wait until you arrive to campus and it will be discussed. You will have to know Biochem to a high level of detail, even when you have not taken it. Your first course is a graduate biochem class and yes it is graded as such.

The packet of information they are going to give us is basically covering biochem? That is what we need to know and be ready to be tested on on July 6?

BTW yesterday I received some more info from GEMS and it seems there are about 32 of us this year!

One more question does anyone know about the Reciprocity Permit for Temporary ResidentsDo I maintain insurance with my home state and can I received a parking zone permit for the area where my lease is?

I got the info package yesterday too! :D

Read up on the temporary resident permit here

"
[FONT=Arial,Helvetica,Geneva]If you are a temporary resident of DC and meet certain criteria, you may qualify for a reciprocity parking permit that allows you to park your car in residential areas of the District while keeping your vehicle registered in your home state."

"
.[FONT=Arial,Helvetica,Geneva]Due to parking restrictions, students in Wards 2A and 2E (Georgetown area) are not eligible for reciprocity parking permits. Students in these wards must register their vehicles in the District in order to be able to park in those areas."

So I guess if you live in Georgetown it doesn't count and you'll have to register your vehicle in D.C and switch registration along with your insurance.

Ok if anyone is having the same questions as me this is what I gathered so far.

You only pay the excise tax (to transfer the title of the car) if you are a dc resident and go outside to buy a car. An exemption to paying the tax is if you bought a car while you were a permanent resident of another state, where the car was registered and you are moving to dc.

If you are going to register your car in dc it needs to be inspected (35.00/2 years ). A regular tag replacement is $10. The title is $26. A residential parking permit is $15 a year. Registration is $72/year. Drivers license is $44/8 years. Total is about

Or if you qualify for reciprocity you can keep your home state DL, tags, registration, title etc. You have the option of obtaining a RPP which is $338/year. This is what you need to get it:
  • Statement from registrar's office on the college's or university's letterhead stating that you are a full time student
  • Valid out-of-state driver's license
  • Valid out-of-state vehicle registration with student's name on the registration
  • Proof of Insurance with student's name on the insurance as required by the issuing registration jurisdiction.
  • Proof of DC residency Note: DC law prevents students in Advisory Neighborhood Commission (ANC) areas 2A and 2E and ANC 3D06 and 3D09 (Georgetown area) from receiving reciprocity parking permits. Students in these areas must get a DC driver's license and register their vehicles in the District in order to be able to park in those areas. For information on ANC areas
If anyone was as confused as I was, I hope this helps!

Or you could just get a temp parking permit from the police station with a valid lease (or not) every 2 weeks. There are other ways for you to get around this and save yourself the hassle. Worrying about this stuff at the moment kinda not worth the trouble.

To get a temporary permit I would have to be a "visitor" of someone who resides in DC (which I must give proof of their residency) but unfortunately the car is under my name as is the lease in DC. Regardless my ANC is 3D06 which means I must get the dc license, registration, etc
i don't qualify for reciprocity.

got an email to set up my NetID account! I officially have a GT email address :D

I realized that my email wasn't on the list of matriculating GEMS students- if people starting sending out group emails, let me know?

Is anyone applying for a little extra money to cover living expenses etc not covered by the current loans? If so what is the best private loan to get?

I have received mail with my Finaid content enclosed, however, has anyone received the study materials yet? Also, I received the email for establishing a NetID, but when I clicked on the link I only saw the application site.

Anyone got any insight on these topics?:)

tweety- the word application is a link, click on it to see the information. I also have not received the study material but they said we should get it around the 12th.

Has everyone found a place to live already? I feel like I'm going to be on the streets : /

Is anyone applying for a little extra money to cover living expenses etc not covered by the current loans? If so what is the best private loan to get?

the current loans offered by the school cover living expenses and everything else you need so there's no need to take private loans.

@labonnefille22 - have you started looking at places/where have you been looking at? I'm sure you'll be fine getting a place

there are a couple of basement apts on craiglist if you are interested. Also, I noticed on macarthur there are some affordable apartments if you prefer to live alone. I got an apartment on macarthur and 45 and there is a bus that picks me up outside and takes me to school, or I can walk to school (about 15 min), faster if you bike.

When is everyone going to do the move to dc? I hope to be there july 1 or 2.

Hey guys check your hoyamail inbox if you haven't already. The study materials has been sent to our Georgetown email addresses.

When is everyone going to do the move to dc? I hope to be there july 1 or 2.

I'm going on late June since the tickets were much cheaper. :D

Hey guys check your hoyamail inbox if you haven't already. The study materials has been sent to our Georgetown email addresses.

I'm going on late June since the tickets were much cheaper. :D

Nice! Thanks for that update.. I'm already driving cross country from the west coast.. Big road trip.. Stopping at several places along the way. I plan on getting there close to the last week of June.

To my future classmates: if I'm passing near you, and you guys want to catch a cup of java (which I'll be needing), pm me with your city and state :) (ahem, composition... Lol)

Hey guys, has anyone waived the health insurance fee? If so how did you do it because I was told we could do it through our "myacess" account but I do not have the required survery available.

Hey Guys,

Congrats to those of you that have been admitted. If you don't mind can you share your ECs, other non-academic factors that you think made you stand out, and if you don't mind sharing your stats, that would be great too. I know stats are not that big of deal with GEMs so I'm curious what else made you stand out.

Also, if you were interviewed or outright rejected after applying, can you share your info? I think this could really help some of us see how competitive we would be for GEMs.

I'm a 23 yo URM (AA), economically disadvantaged, first gen college grad, 2.67 sGPA (can get that up to 2.8+ by end of fall with upper div biology courses at my schoool, 2.89 cGPA (about 3.4 last 60 or so credits of mostly upper division BCPM courses)...

Thanks in advance....

I'm driving across through Texas en route to DC.. Any GEMS folks up for coffee?

I'm driving across through Texas en route to DC.. Any GEMS folks up for coffee?

The program's competitiveness doesn't focus on statistics alone (because I wasn't sure if I would even get an interview let alone actually getting accepted when I applied). I strongly believe they focus on the person as a whole, using the application questions and the personal statement as a guideline. I also heard they aren't necessarily looking for the best academic candidate in the pool. If you're an honest, sincere, hardworking person and you show that through your application I don't see why you wouldn't be a competitive applicant.

When I interviewed, the first thing I noticed from the other candidates was that a majority had their Masters degree, medical assistant certification, was a part of a research lab, etc (one was even a pharmacist). Everybody was very active in some way relating to medicine. Hope this helps!

Last edited:
for the waiver- Dr. williams emailed it to us and you just need to fill it out. If you are planning to purchase health insurance just make sure it covers you in dc, is in effect before july 1, and covers 100,000 per illness or accident (this is no longer valid if it is an individual plan as the care act eliminated these caps). Make sure to send in the form before July 15.

For those that are familiar with the dc area, what are the best things to do on fourth of july in the city?

hi guys congrats to all that got into the program and good luck!

i will be applying to GEMS in Feb 2012
i have a question if u guys dont mind
do they look at your personal statement submitted on the aamc application
i have heard that its important to show why your grades are what they are
do i include this in the aamc personal statement or are you writing a new one for the gems application?
also does the aamc application have to be complete in order to apply to gems?
do i have to apply to med schools before applying to gems?
also anything else that you guys think its important to know before feb and before the aamc deadline

I have a 3.2 GPA (2.85 science GPA). First gen college grad, separated parents, had 2 jobs throughout college (worked full time all summers), volunteered all fours years (and in another country), performed research, honors society, and participated in various other organizations.

The program's competitiveness doesn't focus on statistics alone (because I wasn't sure if I would even get an interview let alone actually getting accepted when I applied). I strongly believe they focus on the person as a whole, using the application questions and the personal statement as a guideline. I also heard they aren't necessarily looking for the best academic candidate in the pool. If you're an honest, sincere, hardworking person and you show that through your application I don't see why you wouldn't be a competitive applicant. I think my personal statement (from AMCAS) helped me stand out on the application.

When I interviewed, the first thing I noticed from the other candidates was that a majority had their Masters degree, medical assistant certification, was a part of a research lab, etc (one was even a pharmacist). Everybody was very active in some way relating to medicine. Hope this helps!

Thanks for sharing your stats perseverance11...

Anyone else willing to share what their application looks like? you can always PM us (those applying in feb) if you don't wanna publicly share your stats, ecs, work experience, etc. It helps us see what we're up against and better tailor our app for the program. Thanks in advance for sharing...

And thanks again perseverance11!!

i have heard that its important to show why your grades are what they are
^^ I think I can answer these two from reading the brochure, the FAQs and following SDN threads....I think they would definitely want an explanation for your low grades in college.

About the app, I'm pretty sure you just fill out the GEMS application which I believe has specific essay questions for some of the questions you asked...obviously I haven't looked at the app but i'm pretty sure they will want you to explain your grades somewhere in there.

Current GEMs students or alums feel free to correct me or add more info on these questions...

I hope those of you that found these threads helpful during your application cycle will continue to help the rest of us as we begin this long and stressful process. :)

do they look at your personal statement submitted on the aamc application
aamc personal statement or are you writing a new one for the gems application?
also does the aamc application have to be complete in order to apply to gems?
also anything else that you guys think its important to know before feb and before the aamc deadline

I believe you have to be rejected by at least one school to be eligible? I don't really re-call. Your best bet is to get this information from the FAQ/Brochure online. You definitely need to have submitted/applied to other schools beforehand though. You also need to write a new statement for the GEMS application.

It helps us see what we're up against and better tailor our app for the program.

I wouldn't necessarily go by what you find stat-wise from other applicants. Our stats varied, i.e. having people with mid-30 MCAT scores to people way below that mark. GPA varied as well. The current notion that some ex-GEMS are beginning to think is that they may make the program more competitive, stat-wise, over the upcoming years. Nothing verified, but just a notion.

I wouldn't necessarily recommend "tailoring" your app but would just advise you to be honest in your endeavor (not to misconstrue your intent). Tell your story and how you were disadvantaged and in turn, how that made an impact on your educational track. The admission staff has been doing this for a long time now and they can pretty much spot the average "I want to help in underserved areas" but I think stating as to why and why GEMS would look better.

They strive making the right class for the right people. Hard to explain until you sit down as a GEMS student watching the interviewees go about their day.

Does anyone know if we will be getting our finaid in July? Or were we supposed to support ourselves through the summer until Fall semester begins?

Woo! Everyone pumped for tomorrow? :D

Can anyone fill us in on what the first day will be like? Are we diving right into classes? Will we be tested on the summer enrichment material?

Argh! Im so excited!

Woo! Everyone pumped for tomorrow? :D

Can anyone fill us in on what the first day will be like? Are we diving right into classes? Will we be tested on the summer enrichment material?

Argh! Im so excited!

Sooo excited! I think we'll be in groups discussing the material like in the interview, this is just a guess. My guess is drawn from the fact that they told us to master the material and be able to "conceptualize it" on a marker board. I would love to know what was done in the past, though. Does anyone know how many people are one SDN that got into the program this year?

I'm anxious and also rather nervous! I checked out the room where we'll be meeting and it seems like a classroom (from what I could tell when I peeked between the doors with no lights on).

I know you guys started 2 days ago, and I hope you are having a swell time so far!! I interviewed on May 2nd but got accepted into The University of Texas Medical School at Houston. :soexcited:I hope you all have a great time, and good luck in all your future endeavors! :D

Hope all is well with everyone who started GEMS this year. I hope we can hear an update from any of you. I am in the process of applying and God willing I will be in your shoes by next Summer.

Yes, updates, please!!!! ;)
Hope all is well with everyone who started GEMS this year. I hope we can hear an update from any of you. I am in the process of applying and God willing I will be in your shoes by next Summer.

Hey guys i wanted to get some feedback from you all about my chances of fitting the criteria for the GEMS program. I am very excited to apply this year but am a little confused about what they are looking for when they say disadvantaged.

I am 100% Venezuelan as both my parents were born and raised there. Although they both came from poverty, they worked hard and made it so i was raised with a middle class suburban lifestyle. That being said, i was not raised "financially" disadvantaged but i do speak fluent Spanish and am committed to providing healthcare to the underserved hispanic population in the U.S.

Any comments you all have on whether or not i fit the criteria for the gems program correctly would be greatly appreciated.

I am currently in the process of applying to medical schools and am waiting to hear back from many but am very interested in GEMS and want to start preparing for the application cycle as early ass possible.

Hey guys, can someone clarify on how the living arrangements work for the GEMS program? Does the school have on-campus housing available, and if not, does anyone know how expensive housing is in DC? Thank you much! looking to have my application in by the end of the day :)!!!!

Hey guys, can someone clarify on how the living arrangements work for the GEMS program? Does the school have on-campus housing available, and if not, does anyone know how expensive housing is in DC? Thank you much! looking to have my application in by the end of the day :)!!!!

Hello DJDT :)
There is no on-campus housing. Rent around DC is going to depend on whether you are living with other people or not. Living alone is pretty pricey. Rent for a cheap studio can be around 1100-1300 near georgetown (some include utilities in the rent). Living with somebody else is significantly cheaper. I think someone here is living in a group home for around 700? You can go further out and find cheaper housing, but you have to weigh that against the inconvenience of having to brave DC traffic or the price of riding the metro.

Also you should start posting in this year's GEMS thread: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=855220

Good luck with your app! :D

Hello DJDT :)
There is no on-campus housing. Rent around DC is going to depend on whether you are living with other people or not. Living alone is pretty pricey. Rent for a cheap studio can be around 1100-1300 near georgetown (some include utilities in the rent). Living with somebody else is significantly cheaper. I think someone here is living in a group home for around 700? You can go further out and find cheaper housing, but you have to weigh that against the inconvenience of having to brave DC traffic or the price of riding the metro.

Also you should start posting in this year's GEMS thread: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=855220

Good luck with your app! :D

Thank you !!!! I'll get on the other thread as well.