Gems 2011-12

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

glyco85

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone, I know applications start in a couple of days, on Feb 15 and I will be applying. I've read threads from the past year and thought it would be a good idea to start one for this year. Good luck to everyone applying!

http://gems.georgetown.edu/

Members don't see this ad.

Good luck everyone!! If you have any questions please post them and the current GEMS and I will do our best to reply to them. It may take some time for a reply due to our schedule, but we will do our best, we are here to help you guys! My best recommendation at this point is to go through the old threads because there is some good info on here. Again, good luck and best wishes! ddogark

Could you please share your experience with us?
During your GEMS year,
Do you have access to tutoring services?
Do you study in groups with your fellow GEMSers, or do you study on your own?
Are you taking the entire 1st year curriculum? If not, what medical courses are you taking?
Do you have to score above average on every test, or in every course?

Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad :)
Could you please share your experience with us?
During your GEMS year,
Do you have access to tutoring services?
Do you study in groups with your fellow GEMSers, or do you study on your own?
Are you taking the entire 1st year curriculum? If not, what medical courses are you taking?
Do you have to score above average on every test, or in every course?

Thanks in advance!

Hey Sho,

The experience, thus far, has been remarkable. GEMS have been very challenging but doable. Tutoring services are not offered through GEMS; however, we really do not need tutoring b/c we do TONS of outside activities that does not involve lectures. Typically, everyone studies in small groups but some study on their own. As a GEMS, we take 3 medical courses (CardioPulm, GI, and Renal), one graduate biochem course, and several other graduate courses. So, we do not take the entire 1st year medical curriculum. I should mention, the courses could change because this is an experimental program, but the courses have been pretty steady over the pass few years. Do we have to score above avg. on every test or every course? Well, we are encouraged to do our best at everything! With that being said, scores are very important but they are not the only determinant for being accepted at the end of the year. But, you guys should not be worrying about scores now, get those apps out. Best Wishes!

Hey can anybody tell me whether the program has specific gpa and mcat cutoffs . I know they posted previous stats but nothing recent. Thanks!

What is the admission rate into GUSOM for the following year?

does anyone know what they mean by vocational status?

Hey all, here's a quick reply to some answers. 1- Don't fret over grades and MCAT cutoffs, as long as you have real reasons why they are the way they are and you can show that in your application. For example- Do you have to care for someone or have a gap in your learning or schooling? Did you have to work all through undergrad? Good and thorough explanations of your situation that qualify you as disadvantaged is a sure way to get admissions to notice the uniqueness of your application.

2-The brochure says that approximately 70% of gems have been accepted to GUSOM over the past 4 years- IMO- IF you are accepted AND you get above average grades, you'll have a much better chance than that of Matriculating, not just to GU but to other schools as well.

3- Vocational Status- job/student/caregiver, whativer it is that you did that explains what you did with your time.

You guys are applying to truly the BEST program in the country, I wouldn't want to be anywhere else in the world!! GOOD LUCK

Hey all, for the question on financing the GEMS year and the M.D program, do we really need to take up 1000 characters? My response is like a paragraph long for each.
Good luck everyone as you work on your apps.

Hey all, for the question on financing the GEMS year and the M.D program, do we really need to take up 1000 characters? My response is like a paragraph long for each.
Good luck everyone as you work on your apps.

Hi all, 2nd year at Georgetown Med. I did GEMS 2 years ago and can testify to it's benefits and effectiveness. Feel free to shoot me any questions although GEMS specific questions should be directed to current GEMS as they're more up-to-date with the curriculum etc.

@ GoodtobeTrue: No you don't need to take up all 1000 characters as long as you sufficiently answer the question. The more important aspect is answering the why disadvantage portion and how you're going to benefit from the GEMS program and give back to the community.

Good luck to you all as this is a wonderful and one of a kind program.

Members don't see this ad :)
Do they review our applications as soon as they're in?

Hey Sho, last year the interview invites were sent a couple weeks after deadline, when all applications were in. I believe all applications are reviewed after the deadline. However, do not wait until the last minute to submit, b/c your application may be missing something and additional time may not be given to complete your application. The deadline is FIRM!

Does the essay character limit include the spacing? Are they really straight with not going above the character limits, i.e. following the direction to the T?

Anyway, I have a quick question. For the last two questions ( disadvantaged and how you plan to use GEMS essays), is it better to just cut/paste or upload the documents? If you cut/paste, you automatically ensure that you remain within the character limits. Any ideas?:rolleyes:

Anyway, I have a quick question. For the last two questions ( disadvantaged and how you plan to use GEMS essays), is it better to just cut/paste or upload the documents? If you cut/paste, you automatically ensure that you remain within the character limits. Any ideas?:rolleyes:

Relax ... don't fret too much about it. Just keep everything simple and fulfill the expectations and you'll be fine.

Thanks for the advice, Nichomachean! Relaxation definitely helps; I'll try meditation.:xf:

Hi guys, I am applying to this program and best of luck to everyone!

Best of luck to all.

Current GEMS here willing to take questions. We just finished our modules so we will have more time to interact with current applicants.

Hope to see you on interview day.

Bonne Chance

Do you mind telling us about your experience so far in the program? Also, has it been difficult to reapply to medical school while in the program?

Hey all, for the last essay question ( In 150 Words or less), please be informed that the system is strictly limited to the 300 characters and not the 150 words limit per the direction.
I put in an IT ticket for it, thinking that it was a minor discrepancy, but the administrator replied indicating that I ignore the direction and stick to the 300 character limit.:eek:

Bonne Chance

Do you mind telling us about your experience so far in the program? Also, has it been difficult to reapply to medical school while in the program?

This program has been a real life changing experience. It's as if you were being accepted into a new family. It is not a competitive environment between classmates but one in which you grow with each other as individuals. There is not just academic guidance; but personal guidance throughout the program as well. The curriculum that you tackle before taking the medical modules adequately prepare you and our class averages have more than shown that.

If you have any specifics about the program, I am more than willing to answer. But overall...let's just say this program has made me more than confident that I am capable of excelling throughout medical school if given the opportunity and I am confident that my classmates feel the same way.

If I uploaded my AAMC application, am I supposed to send a college transcript?

The informational letter says a completed application consists of an application, recommendation letters, transcripts, and application fee.

Hey Tima,

You will have to send in your transcript if it has grades that are not documented within your AMCAS, i.e. grades from Fall 2010.

One more question.

Are we supposed to submit by March 15? I am a little confused because the application site says it will be open until March 25, but the brochure is saying March 15.

"GEMS application materials are available from February 15 to March 15 at
http://GEMS.georgetown.edu. Applications will be available to any interested candidate for admission between February 15th and March 15th only. The deadline for 2011 applications is March 25, 2011."

Thank You.

One more question.

Are we supposed to submit by March 15? I am a little confused because the application site says it will be open until March 25, but the brochure is saying March 15.

"GEMS application materials are available from February 15 to March 15 at
http://GEMS.georgetown.edu. Applications will be available to any interested candidate for admission between February 15th and March 15th only. The deadline for 2011 applications is March 25, 2011."

Thank You.

The application material will only be available from Feb 15 to March 15 but you don't have to submit everything till March 25. That also means if you didn't download all the forms and what not by the 15th they will no longer be available to download and you're SOL.

This thread is really quite. We are in March and I guess everyone must still be working hard on their applications. Good luck to all of us!!!! I'm praying hard over here.:)

I hope some current Gems students can shed some light onto this: How did you study in your Gems year? One of the Gemsers said you didn't have access to tutoring service, so how do you manage when you come across some tough concepts? How do you manage to score high on your exams?
Any input is appreciated :)

I have some questions for the current GEMS, as well. Does the program adhere to a normal school term or does it run from July straight through December? I read about summer bootcamp in one of the previous threads, what does that entail?
Are there things that you which you knew before the start of the Program, i.e "lessons learned" experiences? What options are there for housing? Is living on campus a possibility? Thanks in Advance for any info. :rolleyes:

Hey Guys,

Very good questions you all are asking. GEMS starts early July and runs through the end of may with all the holidays and breaks of the medical school along the way, so there is a winter break and a spring break. Studying is different for everyone, but what GEMS does is help you find your most comfortable way to study, at which is most effective for you. It won't make sense to explain everything now, but on interview day, you'll get a nice introduction to all the organized chaos.

I have learned so MUCH as a GEMS, by far more than I have ever learned in any other year of my life, not just about medicine but also about myself, and the journey continues! I don't think there is much I wish I knew before GEMS because this year has been so great, but do know that this is an opportunity of a lifetime, you will not find anything like it anywhere else in the WORLD, and therefore a GEMS student should prepare to commit everything they've got to this program.

I'm an applicant 2011-2012. Just throwing that out there. Finished my application Monday (was notified super late). Just waiting on my LOR to be mailed in.

Thank you very much. I was looking over the old GEMS thread (2009-2010). It really seemed like they networked very well, became friends over the length of the process, and left us over 1000 posts of information. I'm thinking we should do the same. Maybe start with some data collection?
:D:D:D

So after months of just reading other people post I finally decided to make an account. I just had a quick question about submitting the GEMS app. Do you submit the app even if your letters of recommendation aren't in yet? I already feel pretty late on the submission train. Thx

My question is similar to Coolski's question, do letters or recs have to be in by March 25th?

So after months of just reading other people post I finally decided to make an account. I just had a quick question about submitting the GEMS app. Do you submit the app even if your letters of recommendation aren't in yet? I already feel pretty late on the submission train. Thx

"...Once we receive all supporting materials, including letters of recommendation or pre-medical letter, and official transcripts for all grades not represented on your AMCAS application, you will be notified by e-mail that your application is complete and has been forwarded to the GEMS Admissions Committee for review...."

That was from an email sent to me after submitting my application. I think that because some people opt to use printed LOR, which have to be mailed, it would be reasonable to assume that you can submit your application and have your letters sent

"Your Recommendations will automatically be matched to your application upon submission."

That's from the recommendations page on the application page.

Also from the recommendations page:

"

• Insert the name and contact information of each recommendation provider.
  • Once the recommendation provider information is saved, an email will be sent to the online recommendation provider with an access code and instructions on how to proceed with the online recommendation.
  • When the recommendation provider submits the form to our office it will become a part of your application.
  • You can view the status of your online recommendations each time you log into your application account. "

I do believe all application materials have to be submitted by the 25th of May including LOR.

Hope that helps :)

If I'm mistaken, feel free to correct me. :)

Hi Guys,
I believe that your application has to be in by the 15th of March, but you have up to the 25th to submit supporting documents like letters of recommendations and transcripts(if required). You can submit your application before your letters of recommendation by all means. I read in a previous thread that someone actually submitted their application on Feb. 15th (don't ask me how they managed that). I hope that this answers ur question. As a little side note, adcom specifically request letters from recent science and math professors, i.e. no letter from employers and close friends. That little side note is only available on the letter providers page in the application and no where else, so it is easy to miss. :)

Where exactly is that side note?

Hi Sho,

The direction is easy to miss, but it is in there.
Step 1: Log into the application
Step 2: Open up the application
Step 3: Click on the recommendation link (part of the far left menu)
Step 4: Click on the Recommendation Provider List button
Read the direction to GEMS only applicants, it should be there. Again, it is easy to miss because I did not see that info anywhere else.

I wanted to make sure that the Recommendation Provider List is only for independent recommendations.

I am sending a premed committee letter, so I left that blank and said yes for sending a committee letter on the application.

Hey Tima,
As long as you checked the premedical package option, you should be fine. The recommendation provider list is for applicants with individual recommendation letters.

"...Interviews are scheduled for Monday, April 18, 2011 or Monday, May 2, 2011..."

Anybody have a guess as to when we'll get interview requests?

Hey rose, you a big fan of dan brown or something? Maybe you're just a Mason?

I'm a 3rd Blue Lodge and a 32nd Scottish Rite. Was made a Mason July 2009 at the age of 21, made 32 October 2009.

I wish those degrees translated to MCAT scores though :laugh:

"...Interviews are scheduled for Monday, April 18, 2011 or Monday, May 2, 2011..."

Anybody have a guess as to when we'll get interview requests?

Hey Rose,

Interview calls could start as early as the first week in April (info gathered from previous threads). :)

Hey guys,

I had a broad general question about the program. Although not from a particular ethnic minority URM, I am however "socioeconomically disadvantaged" and was wondering how that might weigh-in w the adcom? More specifically, I am a recipient of the FAP thru AMCAS. Does anybody know if they will see that in my original amcas application and consider me disadvantaged accordingly?

Thanks

Hey guys,

I had a broad general question about the program. Although not from a particular ethnic minority URM, I am however "socioeconomically disadvantaged" and was wondering how that might weigh-in w the adcom? More specifically, I am a recipient of the FAP thru AMCAS. Does anybody know if they will see that in my original amcas application and consider me disadvantaged accordingly?

Thanks

You're fine. Although a majority of applicants to GEMS are minorities, the main focus of GEMS is about those who are underprivileged so as long as you can show that being disadvantaged has impacted your grades, you're fine. I'm pretty sure that there's a question about being disadvantaged in the GEMS application so I'm pretty sure that covers your question. You're also required to submit an AMCAS unless they changed that.