Gems 2011-12

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
lourdes - (complete) california

goodtobetrue - (complete) new england area

rose croix - (complete) al

tima (complete) md

coolski - (status) md

dreamhope

vickyl - (status) d.c area

aldokid1

futuredoctor 09

falore

dr. Flagators

babo - (complete) rainbwbuterflys - (complete)

arim - (complete) nj

1913babydoc - (complete) nj

pjoojoo (complete) ca

composition - (complete) tx

ilovegod - (complete) maryland

sonnybobiche - (complete) nj

glitteryrocks - (complete) (FL)

uckylay83 - (status) ( )

NeuroMD28 - (complete) ( )

Tweety22 - (Complete ) (California) Interview Request- 03/31 ~3:00

xducexx - (Complete) (California) Interview Request - 03/31 ~3:00

xinax - (Complete) (Utah) Interview Request -03/31 ~7:30

rainbwbuterflys - (Complete)(East Coast) Interview Request 4/1 ~

AprilFool - (Complete) (West Coast) Interview Request ~

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Hey Rose, Babo and Glitteryrocks,

You guys are really funny, I read the earlier post and I laughed so hard.

Did u really miss class, Rose? lol

I think that a little humor will do us all some good while we wait even though getting " the call" will be a life changing experience. :)

I think that a little humor will do us all some good while we wait even though getting " the call" will be a life changing experience. :)

This. :thumbup:

Hey Rose, Babo and Glitteryrocks,

You guys are really funny, I read the earlier post and I laughed so hard.

Did u really miss class, Rose? lol

Almost, I went anyways. Amino Acids, Peptides, Proteins was today's topic. Needless to say I was distracted.

I also chose the 18th of April! have you looked at the rates of hotel in the area? its soooo expensive!!!
The cheapest one I found so far is Holiday Inn Georgetown, ~$150 I think I will book that one, it's close to the campus...
Anyone from DC has better suggestions on hotels?

I submitted my app on the first day possible. It was completed some time in that first week. The day I chose was May 2, hope to see you there:)

Also, don't want to say too much but I am a reapplicant for the GEMS program. I got as far as the interview day last time. Not sure what is allowed to be said regarding that, but I will say it's best to plan your flight for the following day because there is a lot that goes on the interview day and it's best to keep focused on getting the full experience and not making it to the airport
:thumbup:

Tweety22 / or other GEMS students

Do you have any advice on how to prepare for the tests? I know they say that there is no preparation, but I feel like I should do something at least...

Congrats on the interviews so far.

As for the exam, you'll see what we mean by "no way to prepare for it". It can range from basic MCAT Biology questions to more difficult questions.

As for lodging, you should be getting more information in the mail with suggestions and more information regarding the interview. Places in Rosslyn tend to be cheaper as well and relatively close.

I'm going to assume they are closed during the weekend? :rolleyes:

As well. I'm also from the west coast.. I will be interviewing on Apr 18 and will be staying at a hotel in Dupont Circle. I don't know how far that is, but i heard the hotel is good. If anyone wants to split a room or come meet before interview day, pm me. I'll be there on Saturday..

Members don't see this ad :)
As well. I'm also from the west coast.. I will be interviewing on Apr 18 and will be staying at a hotel in Dupont Circle. I don't know how far that is, but i heard the hotel is good. If anyone wants to split a room or come meet before interview day, pm me. I'll be there on Saturday..

PS
My advice on hotels.. Go to hot-wire. I got a 4 star hotel for under $150

hey everyone,

I was not eligible for this program so I've withdrawn my application, good luck to you all!

PS
My advice on hotels.. Go to hot-wire. I got a 4 star hotel for under $150

When did you receive the call, if you don't mind me asking.

tima (complete) md

coolski - (status) md

dreamhope

aldokid1

futuredoctor 09

falore

dr. Flagators

arim - (complete) nj

pjoojoo (complete) ca

uckylay83 - (status) ( )

xinax - (Complete) (Utah) Interview Request -03/31 ~7:30

AprilFool - (Complete) (West Coast) Interview Request 03/31 ~

Hey Rose,

The title of the message states that the call was received on Thursday.

P.S. Do you mean the ~ time of the call?

Sorry about that I must have skipped over the title.

But you are correct; the "~" = time of call

PS, I live in Maryland and work in DC! hopefully I get an interview! so if anyone from out of state needs a ride to the interview date and doesn't know anyone, I'm more than happy to help! Metro can get kind of weird. Trust me I know, I'm a native.

Hey pippydaydreamer,

thank you for the offer. I was wondering what the nearest/closest stop on the metro to get to campus? i didnt see a direct stop to georgetown from the metro map.

thanks!!

Hey pippydaydreamer,

thank you for the offer. I was wondering what the nearest/closest stop on the metro to get to campus? i didnt see a direct stop to georgetown from the metro map.

thanks!!

There is no metro stop in Georgetown. The closest one is in Rosslyn. You can take the Georgetown bus (GUTS) that runs between Rosslyn to Gtown. Go to the georgetown university site and search for GUTS bus schedule and look for Rosslyn route times.

Hello everyone! This is my first time posting and I just wanted to ask about the MCAT and GPA of individuals scheduled for interviews already. I am very excited and nervous about receiving the call and I wanted to see how I compare. :) I am wishing all of you luck !!!

Hi All,

As we wait for the call this week, I just wanted to encourage all who have received the call, those who are still waiting for the call and those who will not get the call. Good luck to all regardless of the outcome!! I got this from another website.

Nothing can stop the man with the right mental attitude from achieving his goal; nothing on earth can help the man with the wrong mental attitude.
Thomas Jefferson

The greatest results in life are usually attained by simple means and the exercise of ordinary qualities. These may for the most part be summed in these two: common-sense and perseverance.
Owen Feltham

Press on! A better fate awaits thee.
Victor Hugo

Energy and persistence conquer all things.
Benjamin Franklin

It does not matter how slowly you go so long as you do not stop.
Confucius

First say to yourself what you would be;
and then do what you have to do.
Epictetus

The more difficulties one has to encounter, within and without, the more significant and the higher in inspiration his life will be.
Horace Bushnell

Lots of things that couldn't be done have been done.
Charles Auston Bates

They can conquer who believe they can.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Rose,

my interview call was ~4pm mountain time ;) I just didn't see it until later.

tima (complete) md

coolski - (status) md

dreamhope

aldokid1

futuredoctor 09

falore

dr. Flagators

arim - (complete) nj

pjoojoo (complete) ca

uckylay83 - (status) ( )

xinax - (Complete) (Utah) Interview Request -03/31 ~4:00

This weekend went by surprisingly fast. One day at a time starts again tomorrow.

Current/ Former GEMS:

I don't know if you'd know since you obviously made it into the GEMS program....does the admissions committee notify the applicant if they didn't get an interview?

This weekend went by surprisingly fast. One day at a time starts again tomorrow.

Current/ Former GEMS:

I don't know if you'd know since you obviously made it into the GEMS program....does the admissions committee notify the applicant if they didn't get an interview?

Good question, Rose. How do you know if you did not make it in this early stage? Do they write you at some point to inform you or do they just not call? :cool:

Hey guys,

Hope all is going well, although many of you seem to be a bit antsy right now, and I know how you feel. But know that the committee is VERY, EXTRAORDINARILY busy at this time of year, that I can't even begin to explain. Congrats to those who have recieved interviews thus far, and everyone keep your head up, last year calls went out for a week after the 1st couple started rolling in, to the best of my knowledge. If you are really curious about your status or what to do if you have recieved an interview, the WORST thing to do is to call them and make the phone lines busy.

My advice, they're still looking over some things, and making calls, so sit tight and do whatever it is you do that takes your mind off of this stuff, it will drive you crazy. If you don't hear back by phone, you will by notified by mail or email of the final decision regarding your file. GOOD LUCK

Hey xducexx! Nichomachean is right, there aren't really any metro stops that will get you close to there. After the train you'll have to catch a bus. It definitely gets frustrating, especially for someone who doesn't know the city, which is why I offered :) Hope I get a chance to meet you guys...still waiting on that call *fingers crossed*

There is no metro stop in Georgetown. The closest one is in Rosslyn. You can take the Georgetown bus (GUTS) that runs between Rosslyn to Gtown. Go to the georgetown university site and search for GUTS bus schedule and look for Rosslyn route times.
Can you please tell us where this bus stops? like... how far from the school?

I just received an interview call this morning EST. I wish us all the best on our endeavors and through the GEMS process!

Congrats on the interview invite! Have you made travel plans?

I have not yet decided on my interview date, but I will this afternoon. When I make the decision on April 18th or May 2nd, I will make some plans. And you?

Thank you pippydaydreamer and I sincerely wish you the very best.

tima (complete) md

coolski - (status) md

dreamhope

aldokid1

futuredoctor 09

falore

dr. Flagators

arim - (complete) nj

pjoojoo (complete) ca

uckylay83 - (status) ( )

Pacific Time

xducexx - (Complete) (California) Interview Request - 03/31 ~3:00 Pacific Time

xinax - (Complete) (Utah) Interview Request -03/31 ~4:00 Mountain Time

NeuroMD28 - (complete) (East Coast ) Interview Request 4/4~ A.M. EST

congrats neuromd!

I noticed you were complete around the same time I was (later vs earlier) so I believe they are not looking at apps in the order they were submitted. Or maybe selecting the ones they really like and debating on the rest..

who knows.. the wait continues

You know das right! ;)...Still biting my nails!

Near: I will be interviewing on the 18th.. Arrangements have been made already :)

How long after the call that you received mail/email from GEMS?

I'm praying for more calls this week.

If you've received the call, please celebrate this first step in getting into the program.

If you haven't gotten the call, take heart and cheer up!! What is for you will surely see your face.

Best wishes to all! :)

I keep checking back to see if anyone else has received calls. I am assuming they may offer interviews to around 50 ppl and pick about 30.

So far there hasn't been much activity on the forum with only about 6 interviews given out (on sdn so far). Hopefully they decided to do more calls today!

I keep checking back to see if anyone else has received calls. I am assuming they may offer interviews to around 50 ppl and pick about 30.

So far there hasn't been much activity on the forum with only about 6 interviews given out (on sdn so far). Hopefully they decided to do more calls today!

That may very well be the case, but who knows. They must be busy meeting and voting on the applications. I read on the website that each member of the committee reviews the application, and adcom meets to discuss each applicants file followed by a majority vote. Sounds time consuming to me, so they must be very busy reviewing and discussing especially if they have to do that for ~ 200+ applications.

That may very well be the case, but who knows. They must be busy meeting and voting on the applications. I read on the website that each member of the committee reviews the application, and adcom meets to discuss each applicants file followed by a majority vote. Sounds time consuming to me, so they must be very busy reviewing and discussing especially if they have to do that for ~ 200+ applications.

That's comforting. I like the idea of the adcom taking their time and giving my application thoughtful consideration. :thumbup: