Gems 2011-12

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hey, I've been following this thread for awhile but I finally got an interview invite :) ...call was at 6pm last Thursday so for everyone still waiting, there is still hope! Also, since someone asked, I got the email confirmation about an hour after calling them back

I currently live in DC (Woodley Park/Adams Morgan, near Dupont circle) but I'm not a native (VA baby!) so I am still getting familiar with the city....

Anyhow, I'm definitely looking forward to meeting other May 2nd interviewees ....my fave local coffee shop is Tryst but if you guys want to meet someplace closer to georgetown, that'd be cool. Baked and wired is a good cupcake place with coffee too which is close to georgetown :)
http://www.trystdc.com/
http://bakedandwired.com/

Btw, im only throwing out suggestions for the out of town folks and would be up for grabbing dinner anywhere, just let me know!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi guys!

Just wanted to say it was great meeting you all yesterday!

Rejection letters are out. I received one today. To everyone who interviewed good luck. I'll be gunnin for a spot next year :ninja:

Members don't see this ad :)
Rejection letters are out. I received one today. To everyone who interviewed good luck. I'll be gunnin for a spot next year :ninja:

I feel like I am next:scared:! I'm in Cali and still no acceptance nor rejection. I am totally nervous at this point but will trust that whatever happens there is a good reason and I will keep pushing forward...we can do this!!

Like Hokie said.. there might still be some spots open for interviewing- it's not over until May 1 (I think). :)

Hey Rose,

Good luck in your future endeavors !!! Thanks for letting us know the mode of communication for rejection and let us continue to believe that all things will work out for the best in the end. :)

Ummm, Im not sure how to answer this question but GEMS is a full time experience. If you do make the decision to have kids then you will have to make some tough decisions because GEMS requires a lot of your time. There are no GEMS this year, or the past several years, who were pregnant during their GEMS years. I can only account for the last 4 cycles.

It was great meeting you yesterday Ddog! :) Thanks for the words of advice and encouragement-- I hope to see you again in a couple of months! For the upcoming batch of interviewees... you guys will love the "amazing Dean Taylor" and was "awesome Dr. Walker"? I can't remember the superlative adjectives she used. I could be getting this mixed up.. ahhh!!

Yesterday was soooo great. I'm back home and already missing DC. I enjoyed putting a face to the SDN people and of course meeting all the other people interviewing. I might stay away from SDN for a while, I don't know if I could handle the stress, lol. Hopefully we all get good news in mid May. :)

Hi all,

I've stayed away from sdn for a while...

it sounds like everyone had a great experience on monday. i'm sure everyone did awesome! i'm getting really excited and nervous for the may 2 interview.

i will be getting in early sunday afternoon and would love to meet up with other interviewees. i'll be staying near the campus but can meet wherever!

Just wanted to thank and wish the current GEMS students luck in the next few weeks! you guys are real gung-ho on your alma maters... lol!

It was great meeting you yesterday Ddog! :) Thanks for the words of advice and encouragement-- I hope to see you again in a couple of months! For the upcoming batch of interviewees... you guys will love the "amazing Dean Taylor" and was "awesome Dr. Walker"? I can't remember the superlative adjectives she used. I could be getting this mixed up.. ahhh!!

totally agree with everything you just said...also Ddog its a a pleasure really! especially during group studies :)

totally agree with everything you just said...also Ddog its a a pleasure really! especially during group studies :)

I didn't have the pleasure of having him as a facilitator, but our group's facilitator(s) were really good too- if there were any doubts in my mind as to whether I was going to do this program, going through interview just got rid of them (of course there weren't any). =)

Members don't see this ad :)
got my rejection letter.

So quiet..

I know!!! Even though I said I was going to stay away from SDN, I can't!!! I have not been able to stop thinking about the interview day and just wishing I knew already their decision. I'm already freaking out and its not even May.... Oh well, I did go ahead and sent in my FAFSA and the other financial stuff they asked for.

I know!!! Even though I said I was going to stay away from SDN, I can't!!! I have not been able to stop thinking about the interview day and just wishing I knew already their decision. I'm already freaking out and its not even May.... Oh well, I did go ahead and sent in my FAFSA and the other financial stuff they asked for.

I hear you. its going to be a long month!!

I'm not as nervous about the interview so much as the "group activity." For the people who interviewed on the 18th, was it as stressfull as you thought it was going to be? Also, did you guys stay the entire time until 6:30 pm? Does anyone know what is the best cab company in dc (a good price and will pick you up on time)?

I will be staying in the latham hotel (its in the georgetown area not too far from school). For those interesed in using the guts system I found out it doesn't operate on sundays. Also can the 18th interviewees suggest a great place for the may 2 ppl to meet up (since you guys have already been to the city). I think a place by campus would be best so we could walk around the school after. I will be going on a mini hunting trip for the weekend so hopefully that can keep my mind off things!

I'm not as nervous about the interview so much as the "group activity." For the people who interviewed on the 18th, was it as stressfull as you thought it was going to be? Also, did you guys stay the entire time until 6:30 pm? Does anyone know what is the best cab company in dc (a good price and will pick you up on time)?

I will be staying in the latham hotel (its in the georgetown area not too far from school). For those interesed in using the guts system I found out it doesn't operate on sundays. Also can the 18th interviewees suggest a great place for the may 2 ppl to meet up (since you guys have already been to the city). I think a place by campus would be best so we could walk around the school after. I will be going on a mini hunting trip for the weekend so hopefully that can keep my mind off things!

It was not stressful for me but I can only speak for myself. And it wasnt that bad i thought. I ended up staying the entire time. I dont know much about cab companies but I recommend the GUTS system- it was really good. I think the five guys off Wisconsin street was the best location because it was convenient. perhaps, we may start a tradition at that location?

It was not stressful for me but I can only speak for myself. And it wasnt that bad i thought. I ended up staying the entire time. I dont know much about cab companies but I recommend the GUTS system- it was really good. I think the five guys off Wisconsin street was the best location because it was convenient. perhaps, we may start a tradition at that location?

Lol! Duce, i thought you didn't like the place! (you like Wisconsin because Chipotle was there..) ha ha! It wasn't as stressful as i thought it would be, but it was still kind of nerve-wracking. It definitely helped having met some of other folks beforehand.. it was kind of like a little support group. ha ha! (PS: thanks for showing me the school after we all split up in the afternoon) As far as starting tradition, I'd say Rasika should be the start of a tradition. Lol! I love that place!

The group activity was fine.. I'll keep the suspense on and let you guys find out how that is on interview day though. GUTS system works well as you guys have already surmised.

Reactions: 1 user
Lol! Duce, i thought you didn't like the place! (you like Wisconsin because Chipotle was there..) ha ha! It wasn't as stressful as i thought it would be, but it was still kind of nerve-wracking. It definitely helped having met some of other folks beforehand.. it was kind of like a little support group. ha ha! (PS: thanks for showing me the school after we all split up in the afternoon) As far as starting tradition, I'd say Rasika should be the start of a tradition. Lol! I love that place!

The group activity was fine.. I'll keep the suspense on and let you guys find out how that is on interview day though. GUTS system works well as you guys have already surmised.

I made a grave mistake by not mentioning Rasika! my bad. that place is really good, and assuming we are blessed enough to be in DC this year, we will certainly make that OUR new tradition spot. AND, may I add, you Aprilfool, our food go-to-person!

I made a grave mistake by not mentioning Rasika! my bad. that place is really good, and assuming we are blessed enough to be in DC this year, we will certainly make that OUR new tradition spot. AND, may I add, you Aprilfool, our food go-to-person!

ha ha! thanks, but you did great picking out Buddha Bar as well-- that was a really great place!

glittery, i'll be staying at the Latham too. Are you checking out the morning of the interview? That's what i'm doing, but, I'm just going to leave my stuff in their locked storage room, and pick it up after the day is over.

glitteryrocks,
I thought the group activity was really fun. There is nothing to be nervous about. They are only looking to see how well you "play" with others. I think that the most important thing during the whole interview day is to BE YOURSELF. The day is filled with activities, and it's fun! If anyone is trying to put on an act (which I'm sure you won't :)) it will come out sooner or later during the day. So just be yourself, be open to the experience, and HAVE FUN! Good luck!!!

this thread is so quiet! can hear a pin drop,.....

this thread is so quiet! can hear a pin drop,.....

I know.. wonder what happened to everyone. I know our round of folks are just kind of waiting to see what comes in the next few weeks..

I'm kinda stressing out about the interview day. I have finals this week, and no time to prepare or anything..I'm going in blind :(

I'm kinda stressing out about the interview day. I have finals this week, and no time to prepare or anything..I'm going in blind :(

As cliche as this may sound, I assure you that "just being yourself" will come a long way.

IlladeplhNarm- I am checking out that morning and probably taking my bags with me to the interview because I am going directly to the airport afterwards.

IlladeplhNarm- I am checking out that morning and probably taking my bags with me to the interview because I am going directly to the airport afterwards.

Wow. That's intense. My best advice is to treat the entire day as an interview because there are several members on the admissions committee that will participate in finalizing applicant decisions.

Is 6:30 an accurate time when it ends?

Anybody staying in DC for longer than one day? It would be good to explore a little bit.

Yea that is what i was thinking about doing. I called Latham and they said they have a secure locked storage room where we can keep our stuff for the day. I was thinking about doing that, but then i'd have to come back to Latham, get my bags and then go to greyhound. Do you think there will be a place at the med school to keep our stuff? rather than just lugging it around the entire day (which i dont want to do)

So I know the GUTS bus system was talked about by a couple people in a couple posts. Are we able to use it on the day of the Interview? Nothing like student I.D. card or anything needed?

In regards to luggage, there is the main room (SW 107) that everyone meets up in( where the welcome, lunch, and closing Q&A is held), we were told we could leave bags or luggage there if we wanted to.

I want it to be May 3rd already!!! By then everyone would have been interviewed and we'll know how many people they interviewed in total. We had 35 people in April and I'm hoping there are less people interviewing in May in order to improve everyone's chances since they accept around 30 people. Still can't stop thinking about GEMS and want to know already.....oh man its not even May yet :(

I want it to be May 3rd already!!! By then everyone would have been interviewed and we'll know how many people they interviewed in total. We had 35 people in April and I'm hoping there are less people interviewing in May in order to improve everyone's chances since they accept around 30 people. Still can't stop thinking about GEMS and want to know already.....oh man its not even May yet :(

LOL! You have exactly a one week wait. R---e----l----a-----x and Best of Luck to you, and every one else!!!:thumbup:

So I know the GUTS bus system was talked about by a couple people in a couple posts. Are we able to use it on the day of the Interview? Nothing like student I.D. card or anything needed?

let me break it down for you. From Dupont circle (corner of 4th and Mass i believe) it took me exactly 13 minutes to reach campus. No Id required, you dont even have to say anything just walk on the bus- its really convenient

Story of my life ^^^^^

Ha ha ha! When you're not playing "anchor man" on TV.. lol!! I've been keeping busy to keep my mind off of the waiting game.

Lol. When Global events unfold like they are....i m in need :)

So are there any definitive plans for meeting up on sunday?..from what i read so far, we're meeting near the G'town Conf. House?

Hoping to calm some nerves....

just know that from the moment you start your day, you will fall in love with the school, the program, the staff, and the students . as some one mentioned if you just be yourself that should be fine. they really want to get to know you as an individual and what you can bring to the program. they are not looking to "trick" you any way.

Good luck May 2 folks!

:laugh:

april 18 interviewees, keep holding on. if i was not still in school, i probably would be going INSANE, too.

Love the enthusiasm. Hang in there folks, it'll be here soon enough.