Gems 2011-12

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
current gems-

Regarding the financial aid budget that was given to us on the day of the interview it has listed "fees" = $4551.00. I was wondering if this is a hypothetical figure like some of the others (exp "holiday travel") or are we looking to spend that much on fees, if so fees for what?

Also, they say we should allocate $744 for books and supplies. Will we be buying many textbooks during this time if so is it norm for the current gems to sell their used books?

Basically I just wanted to know in the budget they gave us what are fixed expenses and which ones are not? For example fixed could be the tuition (14893) and stafford loan fees (103) etc.

Thank you!

Think the "fees" component includes health insurance if I am not mistaken. You will automatically be charged for health insurance and would require proof that you have your own health insurance in order to get that bill removed. Other fees: Library/Facility/Gym required fees.

You won't need to buy any textbooks.

Housing is going to get competitive soon. I would start scouting now/first week of June.

Areas to look at: Glover Park/Tunlaw Rd./MacArthur Blvd./Rosslyn in V.A./Dupont

Rent tends to be a bit expensive the nearer you are to the school and even Dupont since it is well associated to night-life locations.

Members don't see this ad.

Also...i was thinking that since we are all going to be classmates maybe we ought to start talking to each other on this forum; networking and getting to share advice on living situations, fin aid and such....

Ill start the ball....now someone needs to pick it up :) !! lol

Hey.. I found a place in Ballston (about 5 miles away) that's $975/room with 4 rooms coming available I think in July.. Huge place with a working elevator and comes furnished.

Hey!

I hope all is well with you all and congrats to prospective GEM students!

I was wondering if you have any advice for those applying next year? I have a 2.6 science GPA, but great extracurriculars, recommendations, and I am culturally and economically disadvantaged. The only problem I have is I would love to retake my chemistry, orgo 2, and bio 2 classes but I cant afford it, maybe just one class. I am studying for the MCAT and hoping for a 30+. Is there anything I should do? Thank you all so much and CONGRATULATIONS once again!!!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys!

I found a really nice 4 bedroom house about 1/2 mile from campus that's going for $4500/month so $1150 split. I have yet to find anything nearly as nice or as inexpensive that close to campus regardless of size so let me know if you're interested!

I hope that's all utilities included for as much as that costs.. Yikes!

This was the budget that we were given:

tuition: 14893
fees: 4551

rent&utilities: 13000
food/household expenses: 3500
personal expenses; 2750
local transportation: 1500

holiday travel: 900
health/disability insurance: 2500

books & supplies: 744
equiptment: 559

stafford loan fees: 103

tot: 45,000

Do you guys recommend calling the gems office or financial aid to ask on clarification. I basically just want to know what amount I have left over to pay for living etc.

Also, do we get this in one lump sum or is it spread out over two payments?

personal expenses; 2750

Do you guys recommend calling the gems office or financial aid to ask on clarification. I basically just want to know what amount I have left over to pay for living etc.

Everything in bold is your living expenses, which you listed. These are the expenses that are non-educational. Add everything up and divide by the number months you will be in GEMS and that will give you the total amount you will have to spend for rent, utilities, phone, food, and etc. each month. Yes it will be tight the entire year!

As well, money is a huge factor when considering your living arrangements, but do not focus too much on how much things cost because you will eventually pay the loans back. Yes, you can save a $100-200 per month just by staying several miles from campus. However, that commuting time and cost will add up. I am a sole believer in punctuality and if you believe you can make it to class on time (which promptly starts at 8am on most days) then you can stay wherever you desire. I know myself and this would have been difficult for me to do if I stayed several miles away. Several current GEMS who stayed far out is looking for places in walking distance to the med campus this year. They can tell you, they will not do that again.

Enjoy your summer break because when GEMS starts, it starts. It will be hard but it will be doable! This is the one and only shot for so many of you guys/gals, so make sure you take full responsibility to bettering yourself as a person and a future medical applicant.

Last edited:
thanx for the response! I am definately looking for places close to school, or close to the roselyn or dupont station so I can take the guts bus. I just wanted to calculate how much I have to work with.

Hey guys!

I found a really nice 4 bedroom house about 1/2 mile from campus that's going for $4500/month so $1150 split. I have yet to find anything nearly as nice or as inexpensive that close to campus regardless of size so let me know if you're interested!

I like this...do u know the address?

Wait! Have notification letters been mailed? My mail is still being forwarded from my school e-mail to my home address! :scared:

Wait! Have notification letters been mailed? My mail is still being forwarded from my school e-mail to my home address! :scared:

They will send you mail at the address you provided in your application. I believe acceptances are delivered via phone from what I gathered in previous years..

Are they sending out acceptances now? Are people still getting phone calls? This wait is killing me. :(

Also, if anyone can comment, what is a reasonable price for an apartment within walking distance to Georgetown or GUTS shuttle?

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm going to be in the DC area from the 30th until the 1st (evening). If anyone wants to meet up, please PM me. thanks guys!

Found a place that's 1/4 mile away from Georgetown. It's a 4BR/2BA with all utilities included for $3900. That divies up to $975/mo.. that's PERFECT considering that utilities are included AND it's only a quarter mile from the school. Gonna look at it next week. PM me if you're interested.

Today was the last day for the GEMS class of 2011. The experience has culminated on a wonderful note and I hope that the program has the same effect for the new incoming class. Once in a lifetime opportunity, take advantage of it.

Good luck class of 2012

congrats bonne!!

Do you guys know already who has a seat in the medical school? Did anyone from your year apply to other schools besides georgetown?

Are they sending out acceptances now? Are people still getting phone calls? This wait is killing me. :(

Also, if anyone can comment, what is a reasonable price for an apartment within walking distance to Georgetown or GUTS shuttle?

I think reasonable is within your budget allowance.. at least that's how I look at it

Reasonable prices are going to be within 1000-1400 and higher. You may find basement apartments that may be cheaper but chances are those places are really tiny and/or have problems (like flooding during rains, no windows etc). This is an expensive area and you're just going to have to be prepared to shell out the money. Best of luck people, many have come through and done it so you guys can too. :thumbup:

Congrats to those that have been accepted

Reasonable prices are going to be within 1000-1400 and higher. You may find basement apartments that may be cheaper but chances are those places are really tiny and/or have problems (like flooding during rains, no windows etc). This is an expensive area and you're just going to have to be prepared to shell out the money. Best of luck people, many have come through and done it so you guys can too. :thumbup:

Congrats to those that have been accepted

By any Chance.... do you know how much we will be allocated for rent from fin aid???

thanks

personal expenses; 2750

Everything in bold is your living expenses, which you listed. These are the expenses that are non-educational. Add everything up and divide by the number months you will be in GEMS and that will give you the total amount you will have to spend for rent, utilities, phone, food, and etc. each month. Yes it will be tight the entire year!

As well, money is a huge factor when considering your living arrangements, but do not focus too much on how much things cost because you will eventually pay the loans back. Yes, you can save a $100-200 per month just by staying several miles from campus. However, that commuting time and cost will add up. I am a sole believer in punctuality and if you believe you can make it to class on time (which promptly starts at 8am on most days) then you can stay wherever you desire. I know myself and this would have been difficult for me to do if I stayed several miles away. Several current GEMS who stayed far out is looking for places in walking distance to the med campus this year. They can tell you, they will not do that again.

Enjoy your summer break because when GEMS starts, it starts. It will be hard but it will be doable! This is the one and only shot for so many of you guys/gals, so make sure you take full responsibility to bettering yourself as a person and a future medical applicant.

By any Chance.... do you know how much we will be allocated for rent from fin aid???

thanks

Read the bold above

Thanks for all the help!

I have another question if you guys don't mind answering: How safe is the area around Georgetown and Glover Park? Since the day will end at 5 and sunset during winters is around 4:50, will it be safe walking in the dark?

Sorry if I sound paranoid. :oops:

Thanks for all the help!

I have another question if you guys don't mind answering: How safe is the area around Georgetown and Glover Park? Since the day will end at 5 and sunset during winters is around 4:50, will it be safe walking in the dark?

Sorry if I sound paranoid. :oops:

Thats a perfectly legit question, especially for the ladies living alone. Georgetown and glover park are so safe that the biggest threat we had last year was a person who was flashing people at night and drove away.. with the hard work of the georgetown security team they brought down this repeat perpetrator and ended the madness!

A great benefit Georgetown has for its students as well is a safe ride van at night, which will pick you up from anywhere on campus and drop you off in glover park and places within a half-mile radius of the school.

During the interview the financial aid advisor said to have the gtown institutional form, a copy of our credit report (1 bureau), and the fafsa in by june 1. I was reading other years threads and they were talking about signing up for loans, signing promissory notes, etc. Does anyone know if we should do this part or do we wait until we get further instruction from gems.

Also, I know previous gems have had information sent to them that they had to study before they began, I wonder if we will get it this year?

Oh someone had mentioned that we had to have health insurance for the program, do we obtain this on our own and show proof to gems or do we get this through the gems program?

I would sign the PMN (Note) and the rest of the stuff

I'm sure that you will get the study information, just wait for the incoming e-mail. They will send it maybe 2-3 weeks before the start date.

Health insurance is automatically charged as an additional fee. If you have your own health insurance or you are under your parent's. Provide proof (i.e. Health insurance card) to get the fee waived/removed.

I looked at about a dozen places , but only a few were worth their cost I thought. It depends on what you're willing to take... I'll post up my results from different places and their contact info on here once The dust settles down in this mad flurry of house hunting activities in 2 days. I'm beat!

aprilfool- I'm going to be inn town this weekend looking for apartments, from your experience what were most landlords asking for (first and deposit), also did you find alot of good places, I have a list of apartments to see but I am not really in love with any of them. Did you find that walking around an area was helpful as far as finding places for rent or did you just look on craigslist/

aprilfool- I'm going to be inn town this weekend looking for apartments, from your experience what were most landlords asking for (first and deposit), also did you find alot of good places, I have a list of apartments to see but I am not really in love with any of them. Did you find that walking around an area was helpful as far as finding places for rent or did you just look on craigslist/

I didn't walk around to get my list of places.. I scoured craigslist and was somewhat choosy in what I chose to look at. I made sure to request for photos beforehand and either spoke with them or corresponded extensively. There are two that I liked pretty well.. One was in Columbia heights which will require a car or public transport.. About 3.5mi away.. Group house. The other s about 1/4mi away, and it's a condo. The owner requires a personal interview first, but will have an open house on the 12th for those he interviewed. Both of these, I found on craigslist. Beware of those that will prey on your desperation to find housing. There was one that I visited for 4br apt/condo about 3/4mi away from gtown at Georgetown palisades, which looked like college housing on the inside. Perhaps it would be better after it got the right tenants, but it felt and looked like kids lived there. It was spacious enough. That one was running for 3900/mo.

I would also suggest ensuring utilities are included in your rent prices. The fluctuation between summer and winter can knock you out of your budget range so it's better to just have one stable price across the board so you'll have a better estimate of your monthly budget.

For those bringing your car, try to get that included in your rent price if you're living close to campus and planning on walking. Parking is a nightmare especially with out of state tags. $100 to $150/mo to lease a parking spot near campus should be allocated if you plan on driving in to school. There are people who live near campus who lease out parking spaces in their driveways.

Final note.. It is HOT right now in DC.. Prepare for 90+ degrees.. Other than that enjoy the hunt and be judicious in your choices. I'll say it again, be wary of folks who will prey on your desperation for housing if you wait until the last minute. Think of it this way... You'll be left with crumbs if you're the last one to the cookie jar.

Think the "fees" component includes health insurance if I am not mistaken. You will automatically be charged for health insurance and would require proof that you have your own health insurance in order to get that bill removed. Other fees: Library/Facility/Gym required fees.

You won't need to buy any textbooks.

Housing is going to get competitive soon. I would start scouting now/first week of June.

Areas to look at: Glover Park/Tunlaw Rd./MacArthur Blvd./Rosslyn in V.A./Dupont

Rent tends to be a bit expensive the nearer you are to the school and even Dupont since it is well associated to night-life locations.

Just wanted to reiterate the sage advice above from our current gems

Hey guys!

This is worth rementioning.

If you go to DC to house hunt and don't want to pay $80+/night for a hotel, you may want to consider this place as an alternative for the short duration of your stay: http://washingtondc.craigslist.org/doc/roo/2416516926.html

Some places that I found that may be worth looking at...
http://washingtondc.craigslist.org/doc/roo/2412826386.html

http://washingtondc.craigslist.org/doc/roo/2412100296.html

http://washingtondc.craigslist.org/doc/roo/2408065730.html

http://washingtondc.craigslist.org/doc/roo/2416853364.html

And don't forget to use your connections if you know any med students there. I'm sure they know folks who are moving out or looking for roomies..

Last edited:
Hey have acceptances being mailed yet??? By the conversations that have been going on about housing it sure seems like ya'll have been!!! :)

Does anyone know when GEMS start??? Is it in July or August?

Hi everybody!

I've been checking this thread everyday since I got into GEMS so I figured I should probably start joining the conversation. I actually found my apartment last week and signed the lease. I got REALLY lucky and I'm telling you it is possible to find a place where the rent isn't super expensive! I'm going to live in Foxhall Village and it only takes me 5 minutes to walk to campus.

Has any of the current GEMS heard back from the committee yet?

Hey everyone!

I hope y'all are having success in finding affordable housing in the area! I have been mostly searching online and haven't actually seen anything in person, but I found some stuff and place that might help some of you out.

Padmapper.com has been pretty helpful. It mostly pulls listings from craigslist and puts them on a google map so that you can see where the listings are. It also shows the rent and whether it is a sublet or full term lease. However, you might miss the listings that didn't put in a google-mappable location in its ad. Of course, you also have to be careful about scams and such.

There is this place in Rosslyn, River Place, that seems to be pretty swanky. It is very close to the Rosslyn GUTS bus and has a lot of amenities (concierge desk, pool, gym, etc). I found unfurnished studios for around 1200 with all utilities except internet.

There is an apartment at 1500 Massachusetts ave that is kind of near the Dupont GUTS shuttle. The rent is in the 1100's with all utilities. However, I read that the place had cases of bedbugs. :scared:

There's also Carillon House. It's near Glover Park but it is kind of far from Georgetown. Google maps says its a 17 min walk to Georgetown. Rent for studios start at around 1100 and includes all utilities including internet and also has a concierge desk.

The Croydon Apartments is a couple of blocks away from the Dupont GUTS shuttle. Google maps says its a 8-9 min walk to Dupont Circle. Studios are from 1059 to 1425 with all utilities included.

Hope this helps!

Hello all! So I assume because it is June 3rd today, we have all heard from the GEMS acceptance committee. For those of you who have been accepted, CONGRATS!! And to those who were not, best of luck in pursuing your dreams and NEVER give up.

For new GEMS, I have some info from one of last years GEMS which might help :D

Below is some advice:

"Now is the time to brush up on your science knowledge. You will start with Physiology and Biochemistry. Try to know these courses like the back of your hand. You will be quizzed daily and asked to present orally on various topics in each of these diciplines. I recommend you buy now the BRS Physiology (Linda Costanzo) and BRS Biochemistry (Todd Swanson, kim, Glucksman). These will be books that you will come to use like crazy. Spend the next month really going over these books. I mean really going over them. Also do the practice problems at the end of each chapter."

Hope this helps!!!!!

Reactions: 1 user
Hello all! So I assume because it is June 3rd today, we have all heard from the GEMS acceptance committee. For those of you who have been accepted, CONGRATS!! And to those who were not, best of luck in pursuing your dreams and NEVER give up.

For new GEMS, I have some info from one of last years GEMS which might help :D

Below is some advice:

"Now is the time to brush up on your science knowledge. You will start with Physiology and Biochemistry. Try to know these courses like the back of your hand. You will be quizzed daily and asked to present orally on various topics in each of these diciplines. I recommend you buy now the BRS Physiology (Linda Costanzo) and BRS Biochemistry (Todd Swanson, kim, Glucksman). These will be books that you will come to use like crazy. Spend the next month really going over these books. I mean really going over them. Also do the practice problems at the end of each chapter."

Hope this helps!!!!!

Thanks! How about those who haven't even taken biochemistry? That's a tall order to know biochem like the back of your hand for those who have never seen biochem in a month. Are those the textbooks we'll be needing? I heard we didn't need to buy books from some previous posts of current GEMS

Thanks! How about those who haven't even taken biochemistry? That's a tall order to know biochem like the back of your hand for those who have never seen biochem in a month. Are those the textbooks we'll be needing? I heard we didn't need to buy books from some previous posts of current GEMS

I don't think we NEED to get the books, but I am going to get them to do as much studying as I can before we start! Guess you can't be too prepared. And I have no idea how to approach the GEMS biochem if you have never had it before. Anyone have some suggestions?

Hi everybody!

I've been checking this thread everyday since I got into GEMS so I figured I should probably start joining the conversation. I actually found my apartment last week and signed the lease. I got REALLY lucky and I'm telling you it is possible to find a place where the rent isn't super expensive! I'm going to live in Foxhall Village and it only takes me 5 minutes to walk to campus.

Has any of the current GEMS heard back from the committee yet?

Hey I found a place in Foxhall as well.. or I think it's really near it. It's about a half mile away.. does that sound like it's near your area?

Hey I found a place in Foxhall as well.. or I think it's really near it. It's about a half mile away.. does that sound like it's near your area?

yup, I'll be living exactly half a mile away (googlemapped the distance). I highly recommend everybody to look around Foxhall since it's so close. Are you going to be living there or are you still looking?

yup, I'll be living exactly half a mile away (googlemapped the distance). I highly recommend everybody to look around Foxhall since it's so close. Are you going to be living there or are you still looking?

Signed a lease already as well.. :)

Signed a lease already as well.. :)

I was considering apartments in Foxhall, but it seemed like the cheap supermarkets were far away and grocery shopping would be a bit difficult/expensive if I didn't have a car. How is the area? Does it seem okay?

I was considering apartments in Foxhall, but it seemed like the cheap supermarkets were far away and grocery shopping would be a bit difficult/expensive if I didn't have a car. How is the area? Does it seem okay?

Area is quite nice.. a lot of people seem to use zip cars around the area so that's something to consider if you need to do any shopping or quick errands around. From what I understand, the rate for zip cars is about $8/hr. Just a thought.

Area is quite nice.. a lot of people seem to use zip cars around the area so that's something to consider if you need to do any shopping or quick errands around. From what I understand, the rate for zip cars is about $8/hr. Just a thought.

That sounds pretty convenient. Too bad for me I can't drive..:oops:
Congrats on signing a lease though! You have less things to worry about now. :)

There's the Safeway grocery store which is a 20 minute-ish walk (depending where you are in Foxhall). But if we get really desperate for groceries and we're too busy studying to walk (which I'm sure will always be the issue)--Safeway delivers groceries (lowest fee of $6.95) haha. I'll be living with a med student and he says he always does take-out. You can always hitch a grocery ride from classmates too if they live nearby. There's always a way when you need to find food :D

And congrats AprilFool on the lease! It was such a huge relief for me to get housing out of the way. Now you can focus on how you're going to haul your stuff across the country! That's going to be a long journey

Last edited:
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] FOR ANYONE THAT WILL BE IN DC THIS WEEKEND LOOKING FOR A PLACE

$950 Group House Starting (Woodley Park) (map)

Date: 2011-05-26, 6:38PM EDT
Reply to: [email protected] [Errors when replying to ads?]
Group house is forming in great location. Looking for housemates to share a huge browstone townhouse. This is an awesome location in Woodley Park, just a quick 5-min walk to Woodley Metro. House is next to metro, gym, pool, cafes, parks, restaurants, etc. Best of the city (Woodley Park) and nature (rockcreek park). While Cleveland Park, Adams Morgan and Dupont are all short walks. Beautiful house and fully loaded with all appliances, furniture and furnishings. Very high ceilings, hardwood and slate throughout. Fireplace. Gardens. Tons of sunlight and windows. Deck, porch, and patio to relax on. The common areas of the house (living room, kitchen, dining room, family room) are fully furnished and have a contemorary look by an award-winning architect. Kitchen is great! A must see place.

There are a few bedrooms available and some are fully furnished. Bedrooms have real good natural light and big window(s), wood floors, high ceilings, and nice closet space. And, the bathrooms ( 4 1/2) are quite nice.
Looking for a younger professional who is a nonsmoker with no pets. Prefer a busy professional or grad student who is a dymanmic person and on the go. Rates are negotiable, but rent would be ~ $925 to $995 depending upon bedroom size, etc. Also, looking for for a 1-year lease starting ~ 16 Jul.

Please provide me with information about yourself and your situation. If you would like to respond, perhaps you could provide your cell phone# so that we may talk.

29th Street at Woodley Road (google map) (yahoo map)
------------
.[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] Will show the house this weekend:
* Saturday 5 - 7 p.m.
* Sunday 3 - 5 p.m.

The house is located just 5 min walk to the Woodley Park Metro (red line) and is at the corner of Woodley Road and 29th Street (NW DC).

Please reply via email regarding which day is best for you. (So I can plan the visits it would be helpful if you could put the day and time in the Subject line when you respond.) For privacy and security reasons, call me when you are in the area and then I will give you the house address. (PM me if you are interested in this property)

Also, if the weekend is not good for you, I am considering a showing for this Tuesday from 6 - 8 pm.

Reactions: 1 user
-There is a 24/7 Safeway around 10 mins. from Foxhall Village.

Regarding books:
-BRS is pretty good but I would NOT use it to set a foundation but as a review once I get the foundation down
-Some of your Big Sibs will hand down some resources and I believe it may be included.

Once again, you don't really need to purchase any books. If you really need a book the library is most likely to have it in stock. It also depends if you are the type of person that can actually learn from reading things on a computer v.s. reading things on paperback.

You are going to get a lot of different advice from ex-GEMS. Some of these issues will be cleared up once we meet in August. My suggestion for what you should do before your start date: Enjoy what's left of your summer vacation and cover any assignments provided. If you have never taken Biochemistry before, don't worry. The program is structured to make everyone somewhat "equal" knowledge-wise in order to tackle the material. It is an amazing program.

-There is a 24/7 Safeway around 10 mins. from Foxhall Village.

Regarding books:
-BRS is pretty good but I would NOT use it to set a foundation but as a review once I get the foundation down
-Some of your Big Sibs will hand down some resources and I believe it may be included.

Once again, you don't really need to purchase any books. If you really need a book the library is most likely to have it in stock. It also depends if you are the type of person that can actually learn from reading things on a computer v.s. reading things on paperback.

You are going to get a lot of different advice from ex-GEMS. Some of these issues will be cleared up once we meet in August. My suggestion for what you should do before your start date: Enjoy what's left of your summer vacation and cover any assignments provided. If you have never taken Biochemistry before, don't worry. The program is structured to make everyone somewhat "equal" knowledge-wise in order to tackle the material. It is an amazing program.

:thumbup: