Gems 2011-12

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
From my understanding GUTs doesnt run on sunday, right?

Members don't see this ad.

From my understanding GUTs doesnt run on sunday, right?

Yea that's what I've heard.

glitteryrocks, I was doing some google mapping, and for sunday, we can take the DC circulator (stops in front of Latham), and get off on the corner of Reservoir & Wisconsin. Then we'd have to walk down reservoir for 10 minutes, according to google maps, to get to the med school building area.

So are there any definitive plans for meeting up on sunday?..from what i read so far, we're meeting near the G'town Conf. House?

Hey! the G'town conf. house? What time are ppl getting together on Sunday and where exactly?

Members don't see this ad :)
Good luck on your interviews this upcoming Monday all the potential and current GEMS are rooting you on!

Lets finalize plans for sunday guys so thats one less thing to worry about. I think a meet up time of about 5 would be good that way we can explore the school and get something to eat/drink.

illadeplh- awesome! glad you planned that. I've been trying to use the map on the d.c metro website and I am beyond confused!

Ok so I believe the april group went to five guys.

From google and mapquest I found a couple of places, if someone wants to find bus/metro routes by all means:

All distances/time measured from the 3900 reservoir road address and are via walking.

1) wingos- 21 min walk. food, known for its wings

http://www.wingos.com/home.html

2) starbucks- 15 min walk

1810 Wisconsin Ave NW

3) breadsoda- 19 min walk. pool tables, food, bar

http://www.breadsoda.com/

anyone give other suggestions.

Lets finalize plans for sunday guys so thats one less thing to worry about. I think a meet up time of about 5 would be good that way we can explore the school and get something to eat/drink.

illadeplh- awesome! glad you planned that. I've been trying to use the map on the d.c metro website and I am beyond confused!

Ok so I believe the april group went to five guys.

From google and mapquest I found a couple of places, if someone wants to find bus/metro routes by all means:

All distances/time measured from the 3900 reservoir road address and are via walking.

1) wingos- 21 min walk. food, known for its wings

http://www.wingos.com/home.html

2) starbucks- 15 min walk

1810 Wisconsin Ave NW

3) breadsoda- 19 min walk. pool tables, food, bar

http://www.breadsoda.com/

anyone give other suggestions.

I'm down for whatever, and if other people don't like those places, then we can just walk down wisconsin, and just pick something. There are tons of options.

I guess we can meet up at the med-dent building at 5pm?

as for people hanging out, i think these people showed interest:

Me, (Illadel)
glitteryrocks
Hokie Luv
Composition
marsha33
lysinee
nomatterwhat

..if i'm forgetting you, or you're interested, let us know.

Ok so 5 pm at the med-dent building. Is that where we will be interviewing?

I can't wait to hear back from everyone who interviewed today, I've been thinking about my own interview day and how much I loved it, hopefully you all loved it too.

Can May 2 people please let us know how many people were interviewed today? Thanks.

ps. I kinda wish I was there again, it was such a great day :)
pps. 25 more days until we find out....hopefully it goes by quickly.

I can't wait to hear back from everyone who interviewed today, I've been thinking about my own interview day and how much I loved it, hopefully you all loved it too.

Can May 2 people please let us know how many people were interviewed today? Thanks.

ps. I kinda wish I was there again, it was such a great day :)
pps. 25 more days until we find out....hopefully it goes by quickly.

true that!

Members don't see this ad :)
What? No one has reported back today.. lol! hope you guys interviewing today had a great time..

Hey guys our interview group was 30 ppl so total ppl interviewed was 65. I was impressed with the program and enjoyed meeting some of the ppl fro sdn! An interviewee told me we should except to hear an answer by may 27 (this is what they told her). On another note, the facilitated learning exercise was intense!!

It was a pleasure meeting everyone yesterday, and especially my four compadres who were able to get together Sunday and grub on burgers and fries. This program is truly special and we are all blessed to have the opportunity. Here's to our success no matter the outcome!

It was a pleasure meeting everyone yesterday, and especially my four compadres who were able to get together Sunday and grub on burgers and fries. This program is truly special and we are all blessed to have the opportunity. Here's to our success no matter the outcome!

amen my friend, hopefully i see you in 2 months

The wait will be even longer now :eek:

Final Admissions Decisions for the 2011-2012 GEMS Program will be made by May 31, 2011.
Interviewees will be notified of final admissions status through information provided on the GEMS application.
Admissions Status communication for all interviewees will be completed by June 3, 2011.
Staff will be unable to respond to inquiries regarding admissions status decisions for the 2011-2012 program or information for the 2012-2013 program until June 6, 2011.
Thank you for your patience and understanding.

Last edited:

Final Admissions Decisions for the 2011-2012 GEMS Program will be made by May 31, 2011.
Interviewees will be notified of final admissions status through information provided on the GEMS application.
Admissions Status communication for all interviewees will be completed by June 3, 2011.
Staff will be unable to respond to inquiries regarding admissions status decisions for the 2011-2012 program or information for the 2012-2013 program until June 6, 2011.

This is going to be an incredibly painstaking wait!

Did you find out through the website or was there a direct communication about the time extension?

Even though, they say they won't tell us until later on, it seems that in the past few years they have notified people earlier than expected, I'm still hoping for mid to late May. This wait is killing me, I'm sure this is most peoples first choice.

However, there were more people interviewed this time around, 65 seems high, hopefully they make the class size bigger, 30+. Everyone seemed so qualified for the program, its probably going to be a hard decision for them to make.

Did you find out through the website or was there a direct communication about the time extension?

Ya I am also a bit confused about that.... does that mean they will update our online application with decision?

Even though, they say they won't tell us until later on, it seems that in the past few years they have notified people earlier than expected, I'm still hoping for mid to late May. This wait is killing me, I'm sure this is most peoples first choice.

However, there were more people interviewed this time around, 65 seems high, hopefully they make the class size bigger, 30+. Everyone seemed so qualified for the program, its probably going to be a hard decision for them to make.

ya. I saw the same thing...what from I have gauged on previous SDN threads May 16 2011 should be a hot date.

ya. I saw the same thing...what from I have gauged on previous SDN threads May 16 2011 should be a hot date.

Hot date with my phone anyway.. Lol.. Jk jk.. Just trying to break the tension.. Ha ha

It was on the website and I think they just mean they'll contact you with whatever phone number, email address, or address you provided in your application.

Guys, you all were great, and i'm hoping for the best for all. Stay positive, and do whatever you enjoy most NOW, while you can because...

...this is highly unlikely. I usually like to stay positive, but to be realistic, admissions has a ton of stuff going on, and may not have final decisions even by 4th year graduations, which is after that date. So hold on to your horses, its a wild ride, trust me I know how all of you feel... your new hot date should be, June 3, 2011.. or whatever GEMS changes it to, if they do.

Best of Luck :)

Hey, thanks again to all the current and past GEMS students for being so open and answering so many questions! shout out to may 2nd interviewees ;)

Anyways.... to pass the time while we are waiting to hear back, I thought I'd bring up something I've been going back and forth about all year....

Is it best to email thank you's post-interview or send an actual card via snail mail? I mean the answer varies depending on the school and who you ask...
email: pro- it's fast and you are pretty sure they receive it, con- does this appear lazy or too informal?
snail mail card: pro- it's definitely appropriate and formal, con- slow and you can never be sure the recipient got it

soooo, im just curious what other interviewees have been doing? both?!

I think email is appropriate and formal, we are in a technology era! lol

I am anxiously awaiting for the decision, I hope we all get calls!

here's another question for the current and former GEMS: given how expensive it is to live near the school, do you think living between 8-15 miles away is reasonable if it's next to the metro? (obviously, the reason would be b/c of rent). I've calculated that it will take about 20-40 min commute time to get to school that way. is that reasonable given the schedules that you know you have now?

here's another question for the current and former GEMS: given how expensive it is to live near the school, do you think living between 8-15 miles away is reasonable if it's next to the metro? (obviously, the reason would be b/c of rent). I've calculated that it will take about 20-40 min commute time to get to school that way. is that reasonable given the schedules that you know you have now?

You will start your day at 8am sharp EACH day throughout the ENTIRE year. That means you will have to leave your place around 7am, at the latest, to arrive on campus on time if you are solely commuting via metro. Therefore, your day will start around 6:15-6:30 everyday. 8 - 15 miles is pretty far and don't forget, you will have a return trip as well. I need the mention, metro can be costly so you will have to factor it within your budget. If you are going to stay a distance, try to commute with a fellow student and split the gas and parking cost.

If you decide not to bring your car, as which I made the decision not to, I recommend staying close to campus as possible. Your time will be spent mostly on campus, so it may be favorable to stay near campus. You will save around 100-$300 staying away from campus and, personally, it is not worth the savings. If I did decided to stay a distance from school, the commuting cost and time spent traveling will add up to close to the cost of staying near campus. Trust me, "You will value your sleep as a GEMS student!"

Last edited:

Depends on multiple factors.

1) Cost of metro (about $1.70, less with a Smartcard fare) per destination. Will probably come out to near $700 a yr in traveling costs.

2) Where do you plan to study? At home or the library?

3) Are you willing to wake up 1.5 hrs or so before class everyday so you can get there on time?

It ultimately depends on what type of studier you are and if you are a morning person. Saving money would be ideal but keep in mind that time=$$$ (extra few minutes of sleep, comfort of walking a few mins. to get home, etc.). Not saying it is a bad idea though. I would try looking into Rosslyn which tends to be cheaper and roughly a 10-15 min. GUTS ride away.

Like the others said, money shouldn't be a big factor in this decision. Yes, it's nice to save money but consider that when you do get into georgetown for med school, you'll be up to your eyeballs in debt (about 70k per year) so why should several hundred more dollars matter? If you can find a reasonable way to be cheaper do so but don't let short term goals impede on your long term goals. GEMS will usually be people's last chance at getting into med school so "go big or go home" I say.

ahhhhhhhhhhhh! lol, I try to be the one to remain cool, but the anxiety levels have officially hit maximum level.

is really quiet lol.. anybody think this month feels like a whole year yet?

I know that there is no on-campus parking for med students, however, can't students just park in the hospital parking garage? I know this would not be a good idea for someone who has to pay for an apartment and pay for parking, however, since I have family in the area, I would probably just live with them and commute.

So, my question is, if I'm willing to pay for daily parking at the hospital garage, would it be possible to park there? Or would they notice I'm a student and not allow me to park? Just trying to figure out all possible options in regards to metro/ driving. I have figured out that the commute time would be the same, and about the same price.

Hey everyone!!!! Sorry that I have not posted after the May 2nd interview. The rest of that week was exams and graduation. :) . So....I am very nervous and excited about this wait. How are all of you holding up? Have yall searched for any apartments yet?

hey, I noticed a few interviewees are thinking about staying w/ family and commuting to save money, just wanted to give the perspective of an applicant who is from this area if you are not. To be honest, if accepted, I plan to stay somewhere close to school. I am not sure how long the commute would be for you guys, but for me it would be about an hour to an hour and half (if I drive or even take the metro) and lets not forget in the evenings, Metro runs slower bc it's no longer rush hour.

just think about how much study time you will miss. on the flip side, I can see the argument about saving ~15,000 in rent. BIG BIG decisions and so much to weigh, but for me I don't want anything to prevent me from doing my best (i.e. Metro shutdowns a station bc of flooding in a station. i have dealt with incidents like this many of times, lol.)

hey, I noticed a few interviewees are thinking about staying w/ family and commuting to save money, just wanted to give the perspective of an applicant who is from this area if you are not. To be honest, if accepted, I plan to stay somewhere close to school. I am not sure how long the commute would be for you guys, but for me it would be about an hour to an hour and half (if I drive or even take the metro) and lets not forget in the evenings, Metro runs slower bc it's no longer rush hour.

just think about how much study time you will miss. on the flip side, I can see the argument about saving ~15,000 in rent. BIG BIG decisions and so much to weigh, but for me I don't want anything to prevent me from doing my best (i.e. Metro shutdowns a station bc of flooding in a station. i have dealt with incidents like this many of times, lol.)

Makes a lot of sense..i agree

I know that there is no on-campus parking for med students, however, can't students just park in the hospital parking garage? I know this would not be a good idea for someone who has to pay for an apartment and pay for parking, however, since I have family in the area, I would probably just live with them and commute.

So, my question is, if I'm willing to pay for daily parking at the hospital garage, would it be possible to park there? Or would they notice I'm a student and not allow me to park? Just trying to figure out all possible options in regards to metro/ driving. I have figured out that the commute time would be the same, and about the same price.

To my knowledge, and Im about 99% sure, students are not allowed to park in the parking garages. The garages are only available for hospital staff. Most students either walk, ride GUTS, or pay for parking near the school (which ranges from 100-$175 per month). The parking may seem expensive, but if you are saving on rent by staying a distance from school, then it may be reasonable. Dont forget, the traffic in DC is atrocious. Current GEMS that drive has to leave their house before 7:15am to beat the traffic and leave campus around 7:00pm to avoid traffic.

good points made here, but the question remains, can we afford that apartment near the campus.. not to mention things like food, rental insurance, utilities, phone, and most probably parking and transportation (public)-- if you don't take your car. if you take your car, then it's car insurance, car payment if it's not paid off.. and parking. all things that stack up. i have yet to find a place for less than $900 roommate or otherwise posted. that $20,500 loans is not going to cover both tuition and rent+livelihood...

should we just get rid of all our furniture if we're coming from an apartment of our own?

good points made here, but the question remains, can we afford that apartment near the campus.. not to mention things like food, rental insurance, utilities, phone, and most probably parking and transportation (public)-- if you don't take your car. if you take your car, then it's car insurance, car payment if it's not paid off.. and parking. all things that stack up. i have yet to find a place for less than $900 roommate or otherwise posted. should we just get rid of all our furniture if we're coming from an apartment of our own?

To everyone reading, if you qualify for all the loans-as discussed in the financial aid session- you will be given just enough to make ends meet. Im not sure how the GEMS budget will be next year, but everyone has made it through this year financially, as from what I can see. Sure, it may not be enough to cover every expense, but you will get by. Everyone will have to make sacrifices in order to save cash. You will learn to maximize your resources like: taking your lunch everyday instead of buying the expensive food on campus; bringing your own coffee instead of Starbucks; cutting back on your phone plans since you will be in class all day, not chatting on the phone; and etc. This year will not be easy, but it will be doable. Tuition and fees will be covered by your loans, but the associated living cost (which is around 20K) is what you will be living off. Total loans should be around 40k.

On the car issue. Personally, I did not bring my car because of the associated costs for having it.

Im not sure where any of you gals and guys will be moving from but if you can bring furniture, do it. If not, then you will have to rebuild, I guess. I started off with just a bed and worked my way up over the year.

Last edited:
Im not sure where any of you gals and guys will be moving from but if you can bring furniture, do it. If not, then you will have to rebuild, I guess. I started off with just a bed and worked my way up over the year.

lol And still working your way up ! Gems dont give up!

ppl that currently live in D.C- I wanted to know what neighborhoods or areas are good to live in with a commute time of about 30 minutes at most (driving).

for example: fairfax, bethesda, rockville, arlington etc.

Also, how do you go about trying to rent a parking space by campus? do you look this up on craigslist, if so under what heading?

For the people who rent basement apartments do these have windows, and how many have had flooding issues?

Hi,

Someone mentioned "red flags" that were factors that prevented GEMS students from getting accepted to Gtown. Could you tell me what "red flags" are, for example???

Hi,

Someone mentioned "red flags" that were factors that prevented GEMS students from getting accepted to Gtown. Could you tell me what "red flags" are, for example???

Biggest red flags are academic issues and not doing well in your classes during GEMS. Others include "personality problems" but those tend to be more ambiguous and subjective so don't ask about clarification of what that exactly is but it's essentially being a real jerk and an ass to everyone. Other than that no one knows what other things are on the files or what past history an applicant has. Really, the only thing you can control is academics so if you stay on top of it you're going to have a good chance of being accepted.

Can I retake the MCAT again before September... or would you advise me not to?