Friday the 13th - June MCAT Club!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Nanon

An urban myth.
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just signed up for this date. Any other superstitiously impaired folks out there?

I'm studying at home with EK material, and doing pretty well on those 30 minute tests. It's just getting through all the material while I work full time and take care of the kiddo that has me looking like :scared::eek: all the time. So unattractive.

S.

Members don't see this ad.

Any opinions on me retaking would be welcome:

PS-9
VR-11 (averaged 13-14)
BS-9 (got intimidated by the genetics and blew other Qs)
WS-Q

GPA: 3.85
SCI: 4.0

Non-trad student with great extra curriculars (doesn't everyone have great ones?) and #1 in class w/4.0 in grad school in a technical field.

If the BS and PS were 10s, I wouldn't mess with it and take my chances. Even if one was a ten and the comp was 30Q, I wouldn't mess with it.

I have been studying non-stop--I'm currently scheduled to retake this Friday.

NY resident, but don't want to stay here.

anyone 32P NC resident, where else should I apply? Check my list. Thanks.. also is a 9VR respectable?

So I am a first-time MCAT-er who took on 6/13. I didn't really have any feelings coming out of the test, it could have gone either way. The breakdown ended up being:

PS: 8
VR: 10
BS: 10
WS: R
GRAND TOTAL: 28R

I have a 3.94 GPA, great EC's, research experience, volunteer experience, and I have dedicated a ton of time to music ensembles in my undergrad career (hopefully rounding me out a bit). I feel like the MCAT is holding me back, and I didn't really have a lot of time up until the 13th to study, so I feel like an August test date could bode well for me. On the other hand, if I go DOWN in score I could be screwed. Any advice?

Oh, as an addendum, I'm not looking to get into anywhere special... I'm from WI so an in-state school or one close would be nice. The way I see it, the degree is the same in the end. I want to help people, not flaunt my Ivy League degree... ;)

Any advice would be helpful! I'm so lost!

Members don't see this ad :)
AVERAGE SCORES AAMC tests Princeton Review
30 32
30 24
33 31
31 31

Kaplan - 28, 38

6/13 MCAT OFFICIAL SCORE
8AM
VR: - 11
PS: - 13
BS: - 13
WS: - S

Composite: 37S :)

GPA: 3.42 BCPM: 3.0 :(

Very happy with my score because I had very little time to study. I am working full time 60+ hour job. I also work in Lat Am so I had to just study on my own. Now I am hoping that my score and 2 yrs of working in HIV/AIDS in Lat Am help out with my low GPA.

PS I used the EK books

For all who are in a ****ty mood because they're thinking of retaking, seriously don't worry...an extra year might be one of the best things you ever did.

I got a 28 last year in june, and I quickly decided to take an extra year, and focus on areas I love like writing and philosophy. And in retrospect, the bad score turned out to be a blessing

And, I boosted my score by 8 points to a 36, so it's not the end of the world, and you definitely can boost your score. a year can make a huge difference.

My advice: Do a lot of questions carefully in Exam Krackers 1001 question series, Take a block of six weeks before the test, where you review heavily from start to finish and then start the 1001 questions(take your time with it because it really makes you absorb the material like crazy) then take 6 or more AAMC tests in the week and a half before....it did wonders for me.

for me it was staying the hell away from EKs before I started scoring better than 8. I used to think the EK was awsome but i could never score above an 8 with them. I simply just practiced, found that if I could just focus on answering the questions then I could do better and I improved 3 points in 3 weeks

:(So i guess I am one of the horror stories where people do much better on practice tests and then blow the real thing.

I was utterly shocked to find that I scored under a 30 when I had been scoring in the 32-35 range on my practice tests. Needless to say, I am bummed beyond belief. I cannot help but think that they sent me the wrong MCAT score, but my rational side tells me thats probably not the case.

I attribute my crappy score to EXTREME test day nerves, sleep deprivation, and burn out. No time to sulk and feel bad for myself though. Back to the books. Retake-ville, here I come! Wish me luck on the next one guys.

Congrats on all the amazing scores! You guys are awesome. The June 13th MCAT crew will definitely go down in the SDN history books

hey, don't worry. i mean, even though this test is like the biggest thing for all of us, at the end of the day, it's just a test (that's what i keep telling myself :laugh:). you can take it again, even though the process of restudying is going to suck, you can definitely do it. plus, depending on how much below 30 and what type of schools you want to go to, you might still try considering applying this year (u never said you weren't going to apply, so i'm just rambling here)...you never know.

I feel kinda disappointed w/ my score too. i was getting in the high 30s on all the practice tests (kaplan, PR, AAMC), but scored lower than I wanted. ill have to drag myself back to the lab tomorrow...i just want a vacation!

so sorry,. good luck on the next time you take it , please don't give up. people gotten worse scores and still gotten in. sorry, you can do it

PS: 9 VR: 7 BS: 11
Gona go kill myself now......i don no if i'll ever be a doctor :(

HOLY ****
a. FOOD: WE ARE SCORES SIBS!

aamc/kaplan averages: 35-39
felt like: 28-32
ACTUAL:
VR 9
PS 14
BS 15

TOTAL: 38

I AM SO UNBALACNCED! BUT WHATEVER
and p.s. food, i am also crying and snotting all over the place, but i'm a girl hahah

LOL FOODFOOD!!!! How awesome is this?!!!! we are 38 buddies!!! hahahahahha, i'm going wild right now

Members don't see this ad :)
VR - 8

PS - 11

BS - 10

WS - N

Don't know what to do... I was going to apply because I am done with my primaries, but I don't know if I should retake it for this admissions cycle or wait until next year. Any advice please?

SCORES AAMC practice tests

6/13 MCAT PREDICTED SCORE
PS: - 12
BS: - 9

6/13 MCAT OFFICIAL SCORE
8AM
PS: - 14
BS: - 12
WS: - Q

Composite: 37Q

So very happy, this is me right now. (OK, maybe not quite as good looking or graceful, but certainly as happy!) Good luck to the re-takers, and congratulations to everyone who is done.

VR - 8

PS - 11

BS - 10

WS - N

Don't know what to do... I was going to apply because I am done with my primaries, but I don't know if I should retake it for this admissions cycle or wait until next year. Any advice please?
It depends on a lot of things. I would ask this question in another forum to get a better response. There's a "should I retake" thread and it would be more tailored to you. I would be sure to include your gpa and what schools you want to apply to. The feedback may be harsh, but it'll definitely help. If you've already got the primaries done, then go ahead with the secondaries, imo. Unless you have a test date coming soon, I don't know if I would waste time taking a test/registering for any test past august. But that's my opinion. Others may have better. Your score isn't bad at all. Congrats :thumbup:

32 Q - PS 10, VR 10, BS 12

I wish I had gotten two more points in there somewhere...but I'm hit my minimum no retake score.

30M
WS eh should have done a bit more practice i guess.
11PS
10BS
9VR

This will get me into med school but the reason I took it in june was so i had a chance to retake if I wanted to. So I think im going to retake in Aug just in case. I dont mind spending 2-3 hours every morning studying to try to get a better score.

AVERAGE SCORES (AAMC tests 3-10)
VR: -11
PS: -9.5
BS: -11

my aamc range was 29-35

PREDICTED SCORES
PS: -8
BS: -11
WS: - didn't really care

6/13 MCAT OFFICIAL SCORE
PS: - 9
BS: - 10
WS: O

30 O

i don't really know what to think. i told myself i was going to retake if i got below a 30, but i would have liked to score a point or two higher

im going early decision at my state school (medical college of georgia) and applying to DO schools also. my GPA is low (3.42) so i'm hoping for the best

AAMC Range:

PS: 13-14
VR: 11-13
BS: 11-13
Range: 35-38

Expected:
PS: 12
VR: 8-9
BS: 10-12

REAL JUN 13 2pm:
PS: 14
VR: 11
BS: 12
WS: Q
Composite: 37Q

I felt like garbage after the test. I was very surprised at everyones initial response to the 2pm verbal...it seemed like everyone thought it was ok and I thought there was a good chance that I scored a 2 on it. I really suspected a ton of traps and I felt like it would be easy to underestimate its difficulty bc the passages were quite easy to read but the questions were straight bull****. I'm not quite sure how I pulled off an 11, but I am thankful for it. This score is absolutely right in line with my practice scores and I have no idea how that worked out. I am very thankful for this score and it easily could have been 7 points lower.

So I am a first-time MCAT-er who took on 6/13. I didn't really have any feelings coming out of the test, it could have gone either way. The breakdown ended up being:

PS: 8
VR: 10
BS: 10
WS: R
GRAND TOTAL: 28R

I got your same exact score!!! MCATwins.

AVERAGE SCORES (AAMC tests #'s)
VR: -10
PS: - 10

PREDICTED SCORES
PS: - 7
WS: - Don't care

6/13 MCAT OFFICIAL SCORE
2PM
VR: - 10
PS: - 8
WS: - R

Also a first time MCATer. Unfortunately I will have to qualify my score for those who haven't heard me whine about my MCAT experience with a copy and paste. I do so because I got screwed and want to provide what I think is valuable information to those taking it in the future...

I had the weirdest (and possibly most fatal) issue taking the MCAT (First-timer). On the practice AAMC tests on e-mcat.com, they always say "question x/xx" on the bottom of the screen. However, on the real MCAT, when there is a passage it says "passage x/x" instead of saying the question numbers. So, since I was completely focused on the questions, at one point I glanced down and notice I was on passage 6 out of 7. I assumed I was on the second to last page based on this - without looking at the question number - so I took my time on this passage. By the time I went to the next page and finished all of the questions - thinking I was done - I clicked the next button only to be completely surprised by a whole additional passage that I had to guess on every one of the 8 questions (and three more questions that I didn't even have to guess on, on the next page)!

My question is... should I shoot to retake it in August or see what the score does for me this time around and aim for a retake in April of next year if I don't have any promising med school responses?

Last edited:
AAMC RANGES (5 practice AAMCs)
VR: - 12-15

PS: - 14-15
BS: - 10-11

PREDICTED SCORES - 8AM
VR: - 12-15

PS: - 14-15
BS: - 8-11 (thought this was the brutal section)

6/13 MCAT OFFICIAL SCORE - 8AM
VR: - 12
PS: - 14
BS: - 12

this one is dedicated to duke and kaplan

good luck w/ applications everyone

I only took 3 of the practice exams, stupidly. I think I could have done better had I done more, but I have been known to get carried away with other classes and such. I refused to check the score until I saw everyone else reporting in here... I felt like hell after the test, especially in PS. I was pleasantly surprised afterward:

6/13 MCAT OFFICIAL SCORE - 2PM
PS: - 12
BS: - 11

34S... good enough for me and to at least get my foot in the door for most schools! Cracked open a beer and everything :)

Good luck everyone retaking, congrats to those who are done!

Had anyone else already submitted their primary, gotten verified, and submitted a bunch of secondaries before they got their score yesterday? I took what turned out to be a HUGE gamble and it worked out for me. There's only one thing worse than bombing and having to wait a year to apply; bombing and having to wait a year to re-apply.

I was predicting getting 35+ with 12 average in each section...

Wound up with straight 11's and a Q

33Q is a respectable score, but I'm still sort of disappointed. Could you guys check out my MDapps and let me know if I still have a shot at my target schools/if I need to change my list?

Thanks
If anything; I would add maybe 2-3 safety schools. But with your GPA/MCAT score, I wouldn't worry. Especially with your EC's - nice

I'm so disappointed with my score..THis is my 3rd time taking it, and I got 26O first time, 22M, and now a 26Q

I was scoring on practice tests
PS: 10-12 never below 10
VR: 8 -11 this varied
BS: 8-12 this also varied
Scoring bt 30-33 consistently on last many exams.

Real test - 8am
PS: 9 (really upset bc this was my strength)
VR: 7 (never scored lower than an 8 and I skipped one whole psg and had to guess on it, and on practice tests I usually finished)
BS: 10 (this is the only score I'm happy with)
WR: Q

I'm really disppointed, bc this time I was doing well on the practice tests and I ended up with the same score I took the first time. Does anyone know of schools that take the best sections, bc thats my only chance.

On first test:
PS 8
VR 10
BS 8

I was scoring crap on verbal on the practice test and guess what I scored crap on verbal on the real thing.

11, 5, 10 26 total.

And I made a M on the writting? yeah I didn't practice it any and I just typed some stuff in. figures.

I guess if you are scoring crap on the verbal practice test, you might just score crap on the real thing.

I keep getting tempted to just go 2.5 years and get my nurse anesthetist and be done. No!! I must become a doctor!!! :bang:

Just wanted to pop my head in here again and reiterate my frustration with the verbal section. Like many people here, I was averaging 10-13 and ended up with an 8. This was the only section I scored below my average in and I too, thought it was my strongest walking out of the test....it turned out to be my weakest and ruined my chance at getting that 30+ score...oh the madness.

Secondly, this is just my humble opinion, but I think that those of you who scored 29-31 who are considering re-takes should take a deep breath first. To each his own, but PLENTY of people get into multiple schools with those scores. Don't let the 37 SDN MCAT average fool you! Of course, if you really think you can do better go for it, but I think that's much easier said than done IMHO. Good day!

PS shameless plug: can u guys take a look at my MD applicants page?! Thanks!

I have been applying to medical school for 5 years now and have taken the MCAT 5 times. For anyone with disappointing scores here's a little encouragement: never, never, never give up! Just take a look...

Apr 03 17R 7V 5P 5B - didn't even study thought it was like the ACT!
Apr 04 24Q 7V 8P 9B - better but not good enough
Aug 04 25Q 9V 8P 8B - 1 point for a whole summer of studying
Sep 07 23O 9V 6P 8B - should not have even taken it and knew it
Jun 08 30P 9V 10P 11B - woo-hoo! lots and lots of study, but more than anything else practice tests (kaplan and AAMC) over and over and over again

That's a 13 point jump people! While 30 might not be good enough for some, it will be fine for my state schools and needless to say I'll take it! So if it's in your heart to be a doctor, study, believe in yourself and never give up!

Just wanted to pop my head in here again and reiterate my frustration with the verbal section. Like many people here, I was averaging 10-13 and ended up with an 8. This was the only section I scored below my average in and I too, thought it was my strongest walking out of the test....it turned out to be my weakest and ruined my chance at getting that 30+ score...oh the madness.
I'm not complaining as my science scores more than made up for my mediocre verbal, but I am curious as to why verbal tends to give everyone so much trouble.

I think we're seeing the power of the curve here. I don't think I've heard from anyone that had VR as their highest score, and look where it was in the perceived "difficulty" poll. Ugh.

My question is... should I shoot to retake it in August or see what the score does for me this time around and aim for a retake in April of next year if I don't have any promising med school responses?
I remember reading your post earlier in the thread. Congratulations on that great score anyway. IMHO, if you've been continually reviewing since then in expectation of that score, go ahead and take it in August. You'll probably do well anyway and if it's too late you'll have that score for next cycle.

I scored a 32Q (PS11, VR9, BS12). What am I most suprised about? the writing sample. I am also suprised that my VR is as high as it is, I thought it was very difficult. I thought that PS would be higher and BS a point lower. But overall, I am satisfied I suppose. Good luck to everyone else who is planning a retake.

I keep getting tempted to just go 2.5 years and get my nurse anesthetist and be done. No!! I must become a doctor!!! :bang:

Yeah, but you have to get a BSN first [easy], work 1+ year in the ICU [painful], then do 2.5 years of CRNA school. If you really want to be a doctor, don't settle.

But if you are interested in midlevel anesthesia, anesthesiologist assistant school is an alternative...if you happen to live [or are willing to move to] a state with an AA program:

http://www.asahq.org/career/aa.htm
http://www.anesthesiologistassistant.com/
http://www.anesthesiaassistant.com/

Edit: Duh, you are a nurse. Join the dark side with the AA's...

Last edited:
I'm not complaining as my science scores more than made up for my mediocre verbal, but I am curious as to why verbal tends to give everyone so much trouble.

I think we're seeing the power of the curve here. I don't think I've heard from anyone that had VR as their highest score, and look where it was in the perceived "difficulty" poll. Ugh.

I definitely agree. Even in practice tests, the rigid curve and steep decline in raw vs. scaled was discouraging, but I thought I had made enough progress prior to taking it. I'm not shocked by my score, because even though I was consistently doing well in practice, I always had trouble gauging my performance in this section. Many times I had similar feelings following this section and my score varied. What ya gonna do?! Hopefully my 28 will be good enough for PCOM!

Secondly, this is just my humble opinion, but I think that those of you who scored 29-31 who are considering re-takes should take a deep breath first. To each his own, but PLENTY of people get into multiple schools with those scores. Don't let the 37 SDN MCAT average fool you! Of course, if you really think you can do better go for it, but I think that's much easier said than done IMHO. Good day!

PS shameless plug: can u guys take a look at my MD applicants page?! Thanks!

A lot of very true things in this post...

1) I also averaged 13/14 in verbal and took an 11. I thought the verbal on the 8AM was very easy, too. I'm betting that due to the ease of questions, there was no room for error (no curve). Each single missed question must have been worth an entire TTL point on the test.

Second, I think that you are right on the money with regard to not rushing to retake the 29Q. As much as a 30 would have been so much better psychologically, my breakdown (11V 9BS 9PS) is probably the best possible breakdown of a score in this range. Highest score in the arguably most important section, and nothing below a 9.

My GPAs are 3.85cum and 3.95sci, so I probably shouldn't dick with it unless I am consistently doing 36 or better on real AAMCs.

Still, one more point in bio would have me feeling a LOT more comfortable.

I don't think there is much room for error in verbal. I didn't think verbal was that bad. I thought it was by far the easiest section, and verbal was definitely my weak point. I got a 10, but felt like it could have been higher. Considering the big drops in verbal for a lot of people, I bet, like someone else said, it was close to a point drop per question until you reached a 10.

Just wanted to pop in to say congratulations to all you June 13th test-takers! I was with you guys, but I ended up voiding since I felt so lousy about the PS section.

Regardless of score, you all did a great job with what was a very difficult MCAT administration, before and after the exam. This thread has been an amazing source of support and motivation for all of us. Good luck to all of you in this application cycle!

What pisses me off is a 10 in biology. I never got below 12 on practice exams, but my genetics prep was poor (EK). BS was my best section with a 13 average and I did as well on it as on my weakest VR. I will apply with this score this cycle but if I don't get in, I will retake it (33P).

:(So i guess I am one of the horror stories where people do much better on practice tests and then blow the real thing.

Same here.. :( :(
I was in shock for a few hours after I saw my score..then cried..then back to being shocked again..went to sleep crying..woke up wondering why I was so upset.. remembered and went back to crying/shock phases. :(

Here's my official score: 8am
23L
PS: 7
VR: 5
BS: 11

:(:(

My practice scores:
PS: 10-11
VR: 8-10
BS: 11-12

I can't believe verbal killed me especially since I found it to be the easiest section. 5??!!! I'm also very shocked about PS 7??!!! where in the world are these scores coming from!!!??:(:(:(

Same here.. :( :(
I was in shock for a few hours after I saw my score..then cried..then back to being shocked again..went to sleep crying..woke up wondering why I was so upset.. remembered and went back to crying/shock phases. :(

Here's my official score: 8am
23L
PS: 7
VR: 5
BS: 11

:(:(

My practice scores:
PS: 10-11
VR: 8-10
BS: 11-12

I can't believe verbal killed me especially since I found it to be the easiest section. 5??!!! I'm also very shocked about PS 7??!!! where in the world are these scores coming from!!!??:(:(:(

What do you think it was...nerves?

A lot of very true things in this post...

1) I also averaged 13/14 in verbal and took an 11. I thought the verbal on the 8AM was very easy, too. I'm betting that due to the ease of questions, there was no room for error (no curve). Each single missed question must have been worth an entire TTL point on the test.

Yeah, I thought the 8AM verbal was easy and I only got an 11. Percentile scores show that it was very tight and just a few mistakes would drop the score: 85.4-95.2

I don't think there is much room for error in verbal. I didn't think verbal was that bad. I thought it was by far the easiest section, and verbal was definitely my weak point. I got a 10, but felt like it could have been higher. Considering the big drops in verbal for a lot of people, I bet, like someone else said, it was close to a point drop per question until you reached a 10.
I wouldn't be surprised. I know this will sound very obnoxious but I just can't fathom me having missed more than 5 or 6 questions on that thing - I got a 10 as well. Either there was a passage that I not only completely missed the mark on but also had very attractive looking misdirections for every question, or the curve was just that brutal.

yeah, agreed. the verbal curve mustve been rough. but the PS curve... our dreams of a good curve came true! i ended up with a 10!! holy mother!! i was so excited, but then Bio crushed all my dreams... pfff...