July 13th mcat retake okay for 2024-2025 application cycle?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

prk92

Reaction score
Hey guys!
So I have my primary app ready basically - but I’ll be honest, mcat prep has been in the back burner. So if I push to July 13th, will I be too late for the cycle? I’ll make sure I submit all secondaries, etc so that I’m only waiting for the mcat scores. So my app would be complete for schools to review mid August. Is that too late or is it a pretty good timeline? I’m mostly applying to md schools!

Members don't see this ad.

My general rule is that as long as EVERYTHING is submitted by first Monday in September ("LizzyM's Labor Day Rule") you're fine. That would include LORs and secondaries.

My hesitancy here is that you are, I assume applying with at least 2 MCAT scores and at least one of them wasn't good enough to get you in the door last time AND many schools will take both scores into account meaning that much is riding on that second score.

My second concern here is that you are "mostly applying to MD schools"? What does that mean? Will you apply to any DO schools? Wiithout knowing more about you and your application, it is unclear whether an application for matriculation in 2025 is a fool's errand or whether you are in the top 42% of the pool and likely to be admitted somewhere.

Seconded the above advice, and this is maybe a good reason to consider holding off on reapplying until you have the retake in hand. The last thing you want is to apply without a solid enough score. What was your original score, and when did you take it?

Members don't see this ad :)
Did you get into a postbac program? What do they suggest?

I also think it's foolish to limit yourself to MD only/mostly.

The third MCAT that is not a significant improvement can cook you.

I’m mostly applying to md schools!
With even one MCAT below the 25th percentile, and a gpa below 2.9, I recommend applying mostly to DO schools (without regard to the timing or outcome of the MCAT re-take).
Remember, all scores are visible to evaluators and cannot be explained away.