Friday the 13th - June MCAT Club!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Nanon

An urban myth.
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just signed up for this date. Any other superstitiously impaired folks out there?

I'm studying at home with EK material, and doing pretty well on those 30 minute tests. It's just getting through all the material while I work full time and take care of the kiddo that has me looking like :scared::eek: all the time. So unattractive.

S.

Members don't see this ad.

30-N

PS-12
VR- 6 :confused::mad::(
BS- 12

I almost voided my score due to the VR, and probably should have. Worst score I've ever gotten in verbal... including my diagnostic!! I was getting consistent 9-12s and then blew it on test day due to a few tricky passages and nerves causing me to run out of time.

A 6 makes me look illiterate. Am I out of line in wanting to retake it? I'm not applying this year, so time is not a factor. I just don't want my science scores to drop...

I definitely vote retake. The combo of your low VR & WS in comparison to your really high PS/BS is really weird.

I wouldn't be surprised. I know this will sound very obnoxious but I just can't fathom me having missed more than 5 or 6 questions on that thing - I got a 10 as well. Either there was a passage that I not only completely missed the mark on but also had very attractive looking misdirections for every question, or the curve was just that brutal.
Ditto. I honestly thought I got an 11-12 on the verbal. I actually finished and had 5 minutes to go back and look at my answers:eek:

Members don't see this ad :)
Just wanted to pop in to say congratulations to all you June 13th test-takers! I was with you guys, but I ended up voiding since I felt so lousy about the PS section.

Regardless of score, you all did a great job with what was a very difficult MCAT administration, before and after the exam. This thread has been an amazing source of support and motivation for all of us. Good luck to all of you in this application cycle!

Speaking of the difficult MCAT, after getting my scores, I really agree with some posts that were made a lot earlier in this thread.

They basically referred to a trend of the test dates that were traditional paper and pencil ones being very difficult (but with a big curve) and the new off dates added with the transition to computer testing being easier tests with much less curve.

I walked out of the bio seriously expecting a 6 because it was impossible. Ended up with a 9--not great, but it will play.

On the other hand, I was really expecting 14 on verbal--I only had about 2 times where I was struggling with a choice between two answers. Ended up with an 11.

Lesson to be learned: insanely difficult MCAT when you walk out=good chance of a big curve. It all equals out in the end.

Edit: Duh, you are a nurse. Join the dark side with the AA's...

Icu: Sometimes its really hard, stressful work, most of the time its pretty easy.

I could make doctor like money and still have great hours as a CRNA and be done really soon with no more school or student loans but for me being a doctor I will have a greater sense of self accomplishment. And besides I think I'll just get fat, and lazy.. I mean.. lazier if i went into anesthesia.

Yeah, I'm just going to retake in late august, I MIGHT be able to get in this year, but probably not being I'm applying too late. who knows, at least I have a pretty good paying job to support me right now.

This time I retake I'm studying 50% verbal and 50% sciences.

Not 95% sciences and 5% verbal like last time.

Icu: Sometimes its really hard, stressful work, most of the time its pretty easy.

I could make doctor like money and still have great hours as a CRNA and be done really soon with no more school or student loans but for me being a doctor I will have a greater sense of self accomplishment. And besides I think I'll just get fat, and lazy.. I mean.. lazier if i went into anesthesia.

I know what you mean. Mid-level anesthesia [either route] seems pretty much like a no-brainer when you put it in the context of money, hours invested / worked, cost, and family.

However, there is obviously more to the equation or else it would be an easy decision. I also keep running the idea of MD school in my head [in-state at KU is 1/2 the price of the local DO school], but I'm not sure if I have the intellectual fortitude to make it 8 years. Plus, while all of my friends are amazed at how my beautiful, intelligent, personable wife puts up with me, I do think eventually there is a line I might cross where her patience with me would be exhausted.

Sigh.

what I averaged:

P - 9
V - 8
B - 9
WS- never practiced

what I expected:

P-8
V-10
B-9
WS-N

What i got 2PM friday 13th:

P - 9
V - 9
B - 12
WS - Q

I had signed up for kaplan but found it useless so I only used their online practice tests. I also took most of the AAMC practice tests. For content and general practice I used Exam Krakers. I spent the first 2 weeks doing nothing but content review with the Exam Krakers books with some practice problems scattered here and there. The last week and a half I did practice tests - one test every other day or one right after the other near the actual test date. took a lot of breaks though so I wouldn't get burned out before the test.

For a little over 3 weeks of studying and taking an abnormal amount of breaks, I'm satisfied. EK is excellent for content. If I had another month I feel like a 35+ could have been possible using EK materials. You just need more time to practice verbal.

Most people land within their average practice range. I got a little lucky and the curve may have helped but I would still suggest that people avoid taking the test until they are averaging a score that they are happy with.

I know what you mean. Mid-level anesthesia [either route] seems pretty much like a no-brainer when you put it in the context of money, hours invested / worked, cost, and family.

However, there is obviously more to the equation or else it would be an easy decision. I also keep running the idea of MD school in my head [in-state at KU is 1/2 the price of the local DO school], but I'm not sure if I have the intellectual fortitude to make it 8 years. Plus, while all of my friends are amazed at how my beautiful, intelligent, personable wife puts up with me, I do think eventually there is a line I might cross where her patience with me would be exhausted.

Sigh.

how much do anesthesiologist assistants make?

how much do anesthesiologist assistants make?

If you live in a metro center in a state that AA's are licensed to practice, then the rough estimate is the salaries posted for CRNA's on gasworks, since most CRNA's in major metro centers work under the ACT model. In the sticks, CRNA's can work independently and thus command a greater salary.

CRNA's can also work in a major metro center under the ACT model and then travel on weekends to BFE to provide independent anesthesia, which AA's cannot. This can increase their pay over base. Or CRNA's can work in a plastics office.

In KC, the starting salary for CRNA's and AA's is about 120K with full benefits.

Hey guys, 2pm taker here.
I got a 35N but no too excited because of the break down
P-14
V-6
B-15
Total-35N
I'm not sure if I should retake because I don't want to risk dropping my other 2 scores to improve the verbal which I was averaging a 8-9 on the practice exams. Any suggestions?

Hey guys, 2pm taker here.
I got a 35N but no too excited because of the break down
P-14
V-6
B-15
Total-35N
I'm not sure if I should retake because I don't want to risk dropping my other 2 scores to improve the verbal which I was averaging a 8-9 on the practice exams. Any suggestions?
Wow...those science scores are amazing! Unfortunately, most schools screen by section (ie if you have a verbal<8, they won't look at your app). It would be worth it to retake for you. Even if the sciences go down a few, it'll be worth it if you can get that verbal to the 8-9 range.

I did it on Friday the 13th at 2 pm as well. Here's what I got:

12 PS
8 VR
10 BS

WS: M

Don't know whether I should retake it or not. I'm pretty happy with this because I never really got a 30 on the AAMC practice tests: (range from 24-29). But coming into the test I my practice test scores were getting higher and higher. I would retake it but I used up all the EK Verbal 101 passages, and finished all the questions I had. Plus I only have one practice test I didn't do. Don't know what I should do any advice? Anybody know the next best verbal preparation other than AAMC verbal tests and EK Verbal 101?

12 PS
8 VR
10 BS

Don't know whether I should retake it or not. I'm pretty happy with this because I never really got a 30 on the AAMC practice tests: (range from 24-29). But coming into the test I my practice test scores were getting higher and higher. I would retake it but I used up all the EK Verbal 101 passages, and finished all the questions I had. Plus I only have one practice test I didn't do. Don't know what I should do any advice? Anybody know the next best verbal preparation other than AAMC verbal tests and EK Verbal 101?

a lot of schools are okay as long as each section is 8 or greater i think! you should be fine. good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
a lot of schools are okay as long as each section is 8 or greater i think! you should be fine. good luck!

Thanks for responding. Really appreciate it. I'm just worried about my verbal and writing, and I hope Med schools don't look at my point spread and rule me out.

i really wish i hadn't freaked out on the test.. it was my first one, but that shouldn't be an excuse..

I got a 26P:mad:

PS 11
VR 7------F***
BS 8----- freaked out on 1 passage

i've got a cum gpa of 3.84 and sci gpa 3.86

def have to retake the mcat

What exactly do you mean when you say you 'FREAKED' out?`

HOLY ****
a. FOOD: WE ARE SCORES SIBS!

aamc/kaplan averages: 35-39
felt like: 28-32
ACTUAL:
VR 9
PS 14
BS 15

TOTAL: 38

I AM SO UNBALACNCED! BUT WHATEVER
and p.s. food, i am also crying and snotting all over the place, but i'm a girl hahah

You guys should like marry or something. Mr. and Mrs. Fooooooood.

Then I can have you lot for supper.

12 PS
8 VR
10 BS

I retook when I had originally gotten the exact same score as you (except an N in writing), and I went up 5 points (13/10/12) + writing increased to a Q, so it is possible. But I would say if you would like retake, make sure you can score in the mid-thirties on your practice exams (try Princeton and Kaplan for more practice), otherwise it might not be worth it. I think it depends on your circumstances (GPA, ECs, state of residency) and to which schools you'd like to apply. Be sure to work on any weak areas you had going into it this time.

As for verbal, you can try TPR for more practice (or perhaps Kaplan, but I'm less familiar with their materials); however, I thought EK was the best prep. If you studied on your own this last time, you can try taking a class. Good luck with your decision!

I'm still in shock. I nearly voided my score at the end because I felt that crappy about PS. Which did no favors for my stress level while taking the VR. But thank god I didn't void, because here's what I almost scrapped:
PS 12/ VR 11/ BS 15

Will any schools still care about unbalanced scores at this point? I didn't anticipate doing so well in Biological Sciences and wonder if the score is too lopsided for some top tier schools. Any ideas?

Okay so I need a little advice. I took the 8am 6/13 test.

Average:
PS: 14
VR: 10
BS:13

Predicted:
PS: 12
VR:10
WS:O

Actual Test:
PS:12
VR:9
WS:M
BS:11

Total 32M.

I know this is not a bad score but well below my practice exams and I believe well below my ability. The school I really want to go to is IU and I am an in-state app. Do you think I should retake or not bother.

My GPA is ~3.6 and my sciece gpa is ~3.7.

Thanks

Okay so I need a little advice. I took the 8am 6/13 test.

Average:
VR: 10

Predicted:
PS: 12
VR:10
WS:O

Actual Test:
PS:12
VR:9
WS:M
BS:11

Total 32M.

I know this is not a bad score but well below my practice exams and I believe well below my ability. The school I really want to go to is IU and I am an in-state app. Do you think I should retake or not bother.

My GPA is ~3.6 and my sciece gpa is ~3.7.

Thanks
I would just apply if I were you. Your GPA is good and your MCAT is the average for a matriculant. Sure, the Verbal isn't a 10, but unless you're positive you can improve your verbal to a 10, a retake would be pointless. You got great scores on the sciences and trying to retake to improve those wouldn't be worth it, imo. If anything, it would be to improve the verbal/writing section. If you're deadset on applying to IU, do it. They are very forgiving for in-staters (I heard some people getting interviewed with 26 MCAT :eek:) Your stats are well above the average and you're an in-stater. Coupled with your gpa and age (they tend to favor "mature" individuals), I would just apply.

I'm still in shock. I nearly voided my score at the end because I felt that crappy about PS. Which did no favors for my stress level while taking the VR. But thank god I didn't void, because here's what I almost scrapped:
PS 12/ VR 11/ BS 15

Will any schools still care about unbalanced scores at this point? I didn't anticipate doing so well in Biological Sciences and wonder if the score is too lopsided for some top tier schools. Any ideas?
Think of it this way: Once you get to the 11s on a test, the difference in scores is by about 1-2 questions. You're score is "lop-sided" by definition, but considering you got above 85th percentile on ALL sections, I would definitely NOT consider it lop-sided at all. You basically showed you're more than competent in verbal/ps and kicked biologies ass. For verbal, you basically missed, like, 3-5 questions and your PS was probably the same. The point I'm trying to make is that past a certain individual subject score, the discrepency between scores are marginal and not even worth a bother to make an arguement against it.

I'm so surprised to hear that ppl had difficulty w/ VR.
PS: 10
BS: 12
VR: 13
Total: 35P
No prep course.
I wish my Science GPA was competitive :( I'm new to studentdoc, any thoughts on whether or not a decent MCAT performance can help a so-so GPA? Also, though I know this may not be the proper forum, please message me with any info on MD/PhDs in Linguistics. I'm trying U Penn and Mich State but its sooo difficult to find info on non-traditional MD/PhDs.
Good luck to all the re-takers.

I retook when I had originally gotten the exact same score as you (except an N in writing), and I went up 5 points (13/10/12) + writing increased to a Q, so it is possible. But I would say if you would like retake, make sure you can score in the mid-thirties on your practice exams (try Princeton and Kaplan for more practice), otherwise it might not be worth it. I think it depends on your circumstances (GPA, ECs, state of residency) and to which schools you'd like to apply. Be sure to work on any weak areas you had going into it this time.

As for verbal, you can try TPR for more practice (or perhaps Kaplan, but I'm less familiar with their materials); however, I thought EK was the best prep. If you studied on your own this last time, you can try taking a class. Good luck with your decision!

Thanks for responding. Really appreciate it. I'm thinking about keeping this score. If I retake it, I would have to do it in 2 months time, but I'm not sure whether I would be able tobring my verbal score up in that time. I mean, I have a good GPA, decent ECs and a resident of Alaska, (I'm thinking about applying to the WWAMI program) but I have to work on other things on my app as well. Thanks for the advice. I hope I'm not digging myself a hole by doing this. Just curious how long after you took your first test did you take your second test?

I'm so surprised to hear that ppl had difficulty w/ VR.
PS: 10
BS: 12
VR: 13
Total: 35P
No prep course.
I wish my Science GPA was competitive :( I'm new to studentdoc, any thoughts on whether or not a decent MCAT performance can help a so-so GPA? Also, though I know this may not be the proper forum, please message me with any info on MD/PhDs in Linguistics. I'm trying U Penn and Mich State but its sooo difficult to find info on non-traditional MD/PhDs.
Good luck to all the re-takers.
Again, I didn't find it difficult at all, but the curve must have been incredibly hard to beat. Oh well.

What is your gpa, though? And MCAT performance can only help gpa to a certain extent. Regardless of a 45 MCAT, a 1.5 gpa will still look terrible.

Well friends this thread has been EPIC, but now that I'm done it's time to say goodbye to this section of the forum. I hope we all make it!

3.3 overall and 3 sci (Biochemistry/Linguistics double major Psych minor)... subpar, I know. . I'm pleased with what I've accomplished, especially considering some major health issues, but I have a sinking feeling that most med schools will not be as satisfied. I'm just hoping they look at all 15 ECs. I just co-authored part of a book with a prof in medical discourse, have a lot of clinical exp, chem research, etc. I'm not looking to get into Harvard, just somewhere. In the wake of the MCATs, I'm trying to get an impression of where I stand. Thanks for taking the time to respond.

Thanks for responding. Really appreciate it. I'm thinking about keeping this score. If I retake it, I would have to do it in 2 months time, but I'm not sure whether I would be able tobring my verbal score up in that time. I mean, I have a good GPA, decent ECs and a resident of Alaska, (I'm thinking about applying to the WWAMI program) but I have to work on other things on my app as well. Thanks for the advice. I hope I'm not digging myself a hole by doing this. Just curious how long after you took your first test did you take your second test?

Hmm, I don't know about the WWAMI program at all - I'm a Michigan resident. I also was already scoring in between 34-37 on all my AAMC practice exams that first year. So you're right, 2 months might not be enough time; I waited almost a year, but I don't think it was the time that really helped me, just perhaps a different form than the awful Aug 6, 2007 one which I received (verbal was TERRIBLE), and a real genetics class at school, too. I only re-studied the six weeks after school got out before my exam - totally on my own - and by then, I surpassed my old scores on practice exams (got up to a 41; haha, I only wish I could have pulled that one off on the real thing!). But it's up to you as to how much time you can devote to studying and where you think you might end up when you're done.

I think overall that especially if you're applying this year, then you can probably slide by with a 30 at some middle range schools and with your GPA, etc., you know, as long as Harvard isn't your one and only pick. I just wanted to re-take because I knew I could do better and because I want to go to a top-notch program. So it's all up to you. I hope everything turns out well for you!

I definitely vote retake. The combo of your low VR & WS in comparison to your really high PS/BS is really weird.

30-N

PS-12
VR- 6 :confused::mad::(
BS- 12

I almost voided my score due to the VR, and probably should have. Worst score I've ever gotten in verbal... including my diagnostic!! I was getting consistent 9-12s and then blew it on test day due to a few tricky passages and nerves causing me to run out of time.

A 6 makes me look illiterate. Am I out of line in wanting to retake it? I'm not applying this year, so time is not a factor. I just don't want my science scores to drop...

I ditto others' responses in favor of a retake. Especially if you were ranging 9-12s on your practice tests. The fact that you pulled off 2 science 12s means that you're probably fine in those areas, but you might have a really hard time getting in anywhere with a subscore of a six. Or at least this is what the director of admissions of one school told my group - retake if you're below eight on any section. I re-took because of my initial 8 in verbal (my practice verbal range when I took it the first time was also around 8-12) and was able to bring it up a few points, so I think you can do it, just work every day with Exam Krackers 101. And now that you know what the real test is like, hopefully it will tune down your nerves somewhat the next time - at least that worked for me. And don't forget to skip passages early on if they look difficult on first glance/come back later - that one strategy helped me to keep from freaking out so much and it saved me from wasting time and not getting to easy questions (which appeared at the end of my form). Good luck!

10VS/10PS/10BS/S

I'm SO BUMMED... I feel like I'm in this no man's land between definitely retaking (lower than 30) and feeling comfortable with my score (32 or higher). Should I retake? I can't believe this... I was scoring 34s on practice tests... Bio surprised the crap out of me... ughhh I'm so tired I can't even cry... I've got a decent gpa 3.7 overall and 3.56 BCPM. I'm so average/slightly below average... but I've got great EC's... ARGHHH!! I DONT KNOW WHAT TO DO! :(

Thing is though you have excellent distribution of scores. And also a great WS score. Not that that matters... but If I were you I'd keep it, apply, and if I don't get in then retake it.

Last year August score = 11PS 6 VR 11BS

This year:

AVERAGE SCORES (AAMC tests)
VR: - 6.5 (hit 8,9 at last 2 tests)
PS: - 13
BS: - 12

PREDICTED SCORES
VR: - 7-8
PS: - 10 (I thought this was very difficult)
WS - O

6/13 MCAT OFFICIAL SCORE
8AM
VR: - 6 (no improvement...wtf is this section doing in this test anyway?!?!)
PS: - 11
BS: - 10
WS: - N

My gpa is a 3.9....what do you think my chances are for D.O.?
Im scheduled for a retake on the 22nd of Aug... I just want a 7 on VR!

P.S. Im also scheduled for a week long trip to cancun...lol

Last edited:
Does anyone know if the Sept 13th test would be considered too late for this app cycle? I took the June 13th test and def did not do as good as I needed. Please let me know, thanks!

Hmm, I don't know about the WWAMI program at all - I'm a Michigan resident. I also was already scoring in between 34-37 on all my AAMC practice exams that first year. So you're right, 2 months might not be enough time; I waited almost a year, but I don't think it was the time that really helped me, just perhaps a different form than the awful Aug 6, 2007 one which I received (verbal was TERRIBLE), and a real genetics class at school, too. I only re-studied the six weeks after school got out before my exam - totally on my own - and by then, I surpassed my old scores on practice exams (got up to a 41; haha, I only wish I could have pulled that one off on the real thing!). But it's up to you as to how much time you can devote to studying and where you think you might end up when you're done.

I think overall that especially if you're applying this year, then you can probably slide by with a 30 at some middle range schools and with your GPA, etc., you know, as long as Harvard isn't your one and only pick. I just wanted to re-take because I knew I could do better and because I want to go to a top-notch program. So it's all up to you. I hope everything turns out well for you!

Oh wow. I guess that makes more sense. I heard Michigan residents have it hard. I'm not sure what the expectations are for the West coast. I am trying to put my efforts into applying to West Coast schools, which I heard was primary care savvy. Not sure how it is now. I'm definitely not making Harvard as my number one pick. I don't even plan on applying to them but I'm trying to get to UW. I'm hoping the fact that I am an engineer also helps, but I really need to gear up on my clinical experience more than anything. I've decided to focus on other aspects of my application than on the MCAT again. I'm planning on applying next year as I still have two years left of my undergraduate. Do you think that's a wise decision to stick with my scores even if I'm applying the next cycle around?

I guess a whole year makes sense to retake the MCAT. Just curious did you reuse the practice AAMC MCATs online or did you have some left? Like I said I only have one left that I haven't touched.

Good luck with your application and once again thanks for your advice. Very much appreciate it.

Last year August score = 11PS 6 VR 11BS

This year:

AVERAGE SCORES (AAMC tests)
VR: - 6.5 (hit 8,9 at last 2 tests)
PS: - 13

PREDICTED SCORES
VR: - 7-8
PS: - 10 (I thought this was very difficult)
WS - O

6/13 MCAT OFFICIAL SCORE
8AM
VR: - 6 (no improvement...wtf is this section doing in this test anyway?!?!)
PS: - 11
BS: - 10
WS: - N

My gpa is a 3.9....what do you think my chances are for D.O.?
Im scheduled for a retake on the 22nd of Aug... I just want a 7 on VR!

P.S. Im also scheduled for a week long trip to cancun...lol

Hey sorry for what happened to you on this test...I took the 2pm one and I thought it was harder than what I had expected too.

As I said before, you have got to figure out what your problem is on verbal. I would not rush into a 3rd try just hoping to hit a 7 based on the test itself. Your first step is to find any good verbal practice that you have not exhausted (TPR verbal workbook is second to ek 101 in my opinion). The problem is going to be, I think that you need an accurate gauge of your verbal performance prior to your next test and that is going to be hard to find. Retaking AAMCs is ok, but you really cant trust your verbal score simply if you think you dont remember answers. Really try and take your time figuring out verbal please. You are a qualified and competitive applicant if you can just take a minute and get this score up a few points...there is no reason at all you cant score AT LEAST an 8 as long as you have been speaking english for at least the past ten years, which I believe you have. Get at me with any questions/ if there is anything I can help you with.

On a side note, I know that your current composite score would make you competitive at DO schools, but I dont know how much the verbal score is going to play....I would trying calling up admissions at MSUCOM and seeing what they have to say.

Oh wow. I guess that makes more sense. I heard Michigan residents have it hard. I'm not sure what the expectations are for the West coast. I am trying to put my efforts into applying to West Coast schools, which I heard was primary care savvy. Not sure how it is now. I'm definitely not making Harvard as my number one pick. I don't even plan on applying to them but I'm trying to get to UW. I'm hoping the fact that I am an engineer also helps, but I really need to gear up on my clinical experience more than anything. I've decided to focus on other aspects of my application than on the MCAT again. I'm planning on applying next year as I still have two years left of my undergraduate. Do you think that's a wise decision to stick with my scores even if I'm applying the next cycle around?

I guess a whole year makes sense to retake the MCAT. Just curious did you reuse the practice AAMC MCATs online or did you have some left? Like I said I only have one left that I haven't touched.

Good luck with your application and once again thanks for your advice. Very much appreciate it.

Hmm, well again, I largely think it is up to you. Are you willing to fully dedicate yourself to improving your score, even if it means many hours of sacrificing personal time (or time that can be spent working on other aspects of your application, as for me)? That was a very tough decision for me to make. But if you think you can do it and wholeheartedly want to put in the strenuous effort, you may be able to bring up your score. On one hand, a year may be enough time for you to get in some more science classes and to bring up your verbal if you continue to work on it, but it will take a lot of reviewing to do again next year, if you're anything like me. I think you are the best judge of your own potential + willingness to take this on. My advisers say 30 is "the magic number," to get in somewhere and the fact that all your sub-scores are at least an 8 mean that you may be fine as-is, although certainly nothing is guaranteed.

For me, I did not reuse any old practice AAMCs because my subscription had expired through my test prep company (over which I had become very upset about due to their "satisfaction guarantee" which ended up being a load of bull), but I did use the free AAMC 3, plus assorted Kaplan and TPR exams I found at bookstores and hand-me-downs from my friends. I definitely had enough materials with which to keep busy. For me, I have really good recognition skills, and it would have been a false sense of security to use tests I had already taken, even a year ago.

If I were you, I would certainly work on clinical experience, like job shadowing and especially clinical volunteering if you can. And whether or not to retake is justifiable either way, so I think it depends on your preference. Thanks for the luck wishes and same to you!

Wow, my MCAT score is so out of place:

VR: 6
BS: 13
WS: Q
I do make 33Q but with 6 in VR. I have been consistently scoring 9-10s in AAMCs and got 9 in Kaplan diagnostic VR. I am also a retaker from last year when I got 6VR, 12PS, 12BS. All my science seems to be going up (even from pretty high 12s) but my VR staying the same. I am retaking for the last time because I think I can do better in VR. Damn MCAT!

Wow, my MCAT score is so out of place:

VR: 6
BS: 13
WS: Q
I do make 33Q but with 6 in VR. I have been consistently scoring 9-10s in AAMCs and got 9 in Kaplan diagnostic VR. I am also a retaker from last year when I got 6VR, 12PS, 12BS. All my science seems to be going up (even from pretty high 12s) but my VR staying the same. I am retaking for the last time because I think I can do better in VR. Damn MCAT!
If I were you, I wouldn't bother focusing as much on the sciences, as it's obvious you have a clear understanding of it. I would just focus on verbal reasoning and use any/all methods to get that score up. What methods have you tried, btw?

I've been away from sdn for the last week, glad to see that the 7/13 thread is still alive and well...

Hmm, well again, I largely think it is up to you. Are you willing to fully dedicate yourself to improving your score, even if it means many hours of sacrificing personal time (or time that can be spent working on other aspects of your application, as for me)? That was a very tough decision for me to make. But if you think you can do it and wholeheartedly want to put in the strenuous effort, you may be able to bring up your score. On one hand, a year may be enough time for you to get in some more science classes and to bring up your verbal if you continue to work on it, but it will take a lot of reviewing to do again next year, if you're anything like me. I think you are the best judge of your own potential + willingness to take this on. My advisers say 30 is "the magic number," to get in somewhere and the fact that all your sub-scores are at least an 8 mean that you may be fine as-is, although certainly nothing is guaranteed.

For me, I did not reuse any old practice AAMCs because my subscription had expired through my test prep company (over which I had become very upset about due to their "satisfaction guarantee" which ended up being a load of bull), but I did use the free AAMC 3, plus assorted Kaplan and TPR exams I found at bookstores and hand-me-downs from my friends. I definitely had enough materials with which to keep busy. For me, I have really good recognition skills, and it would have been a false sense of security to use tests I had already taken, even a year ago.

If I were you, I would certainly work on clinical experience, like job shadowing and especially clinical volunteering if you can. And whether or not to retake is justifiable either way, so I think it depends on your preference. Thanks for the luck wishes and same to you!

Once again thanks for the advice. I've changed my mind now and decided to bite the bullet and retake it on Sept. 12th. It's a little over a month away but I've decided to sit down and really focus getting my biology score, and, if I can, get my verbal up. I realised that I was about 80% prepared the first time around and it's not like I forgot everything I reviewed. Most of the material is still in my head, it's just a matter of me going back, reviewing and practicing more problems. I just ordered the Berkeley Review material as extra practice material, so we'll see how that goes. Thanks again and once again good luck on your app.

I got my scores and was disappointed to say the least.

I was scoring 31-35 on the AAMC practice tests then bombed the real thing with a 24Q: VR-7 PS-8 BS-9. The VR was no huge surprise but I was very consistently scoring 12 and 13 on the other sections.

I am definitely planning to retake but desperately seeking advice on how to improve. I feel like I knew the science material extremely well. I took the AAMC practices under "real" simulated conditions and also used Exam Krakers and some Princeton Review materials (took the PR class). Day of the exam I was very off on timing, ran short on all sections and did not feel in the mcat "groove".

Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

I improved 5 points on my BS and 3 points on my PS in 23 days by spending approx 5 days reviewing material using EK and Kaplan books. I spent around 14 days doing problems off the 1001 questions and spent the last 5 days doing practice tests.

I got my scores and was disappointed to say the least.

I was scoring 31-35 on the AAMC practice tests then bombed the real thing with a 24Q: VR-7 PS-8 BS-9. The VR was no huge surprise but I was very consistently scoring 12 and 13 on the other sections.

I am definitely planning to retake but desperately seeking advice on how to improve. I feel like I knew the science material extremely well. I took the AAMC practices under "real" simulated conditions and also used Exam Krakers and some Princeton Review materials (took the PR class). Day of the exam I was very off on timing, ran short on all sections and did not feel in the mcat "groove".

Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

Hi,

Thats a tough situation, and I definetly can sympathize. When are you planning a retake? If you were already scoring in the 31-35 range on practice tests, I would say your prep was not an inssue (Caveat: How many practice exams did you take?) Because your actual score is so dramatically different than your practice, it seems like you just had a bad test day. That sucks for sure, but you shouldnt let it get you down too much. IMO, the most important thing for you right now is to remain confident (and I know that might be tough given the let down). You have to believe that you know the material and you can crush this test. Depending on how much time you have before a potential retake, I would suggest working on verbal as much as you can if you admit its a weak area for you. Do some passages for the sciences, but dont overdo it if prep time is an issue for you. Instead of doing everything again, I would do some very targeted studying to bring up all of your weak points (ex: Kidney physio, Momentum/Collisions, Pedigree problems etc).

As I said, have confidence and get pissed off at this test. You can definitely crush it. Good luck!

I improved 5 points on my BS and 3 points on my PS in 23 days by spending approx 5 days reviewing material using EK and Kaplan books. I spent around 14 days doing problems off the 1001 questions and spent the last 5 days doing practice tests.
Wow an 8 point improvement in 23 days? That's pretty amazing!!!! What score did you have before/after the 23-day study period?

Hi,

Thats a tough situation, and I definetly can sympathize. When are you planning a retake? If you were already scoring in the 31-35 range on practice tests, I would say your prep was not an inssue (Caveat: How many practice exams did you take?) Because your actual score is so dramatically different than your practice, it seems like you just had a bad test day. That sucks for sure, but you shouldnt let it get you down too much. IMO, the most important thing for you right now is to remain confident (and I know that might be tough given the let down). You have to believe that you know the material and you can crush this test. Depending on how much time you have before a potential retake, I would suggest working on verbal as much as you can if you admit its a weak area for you. Do some passages for the sciences, but dont overdo it if prep time is an issue for you. Instead of doing everything again, I would do some very targeted studying to bring up all of your weak points (ex: Kidney physio, Momentum/Collisions, Pedigree problems etc).

As I said, have confidence and get pissed off at this test. You can definitely crush it. Good luck!

Thanks for the advice! I currently have the retake scheduled for August 26 which should be adequate prep time, agreed? I did all 10 of the AAMC practice tests as well as some Princeton review tests. My scores were definitely not in the 30s to start, but the last 5 were all 31+. I think my scores improved due to test taking skill improvement as well as well as understanding the material better. Day of I felt like my test taking skills may have gone out the window and I reverted to some old, bad, habits like obsessing over questions.

I'll be sure to work on Verbal the most. My sense of this June 13th test was that the passages (science included) were much longer and more complex than what I had seen, does anybody else agree with that? Is that typical for the real MCAT?

Hi everyone,
I have been working on my application and finished it all yesterday!! However, when I talked with my advisor, she told me not to apply this year because if I have to reapply next year (which is very likely) I will have a lower chance of getting in. I have heard applying again shows persistence but she told me that the first time we have a 60% chance of getting in but the years after it gets to 40%. So now I really don't know if I should give it a shot or not. Except for MCAT with really low verbal (23P) I have a 3.78 GPA with straight A's in the last 2.5 yrs and lots of A+'s. A lot of EC's including research/volunteering/teaching/etc. What do you guys think? should I give it a shot this year since I have everything ready in my application and amcas recieved all my transcripts, etc. or should I just take the mcat again in January and hope for the best in verbal then apply for the first time next year?

Hi everyone,
I have been working on my application and finished it all yesterday!! However, when I talked with my advisor, she told me not to apply this year because if I have to reapply next year (which is very likely) I will have a lower chance of getting in. I have heard applying again shows persistence but she told me that the first time we have a 60% chance of getting in but the years after it gets to 40%. So now I really don't know if I should give it a shot or not. Except for MCAT with really low verbal (23P) I have a 3.78 GPA with straight A's in the last 2.5 yrs and lots of A+'s. A lot of EC's including research/volunteering/teaching/etc. What do you guys think? should I give it a shot this year since I have everything ready in my application and amcas recieved all my transcripts, etc. or should I just take the mcat again in January and hope for the best in verbal then apply for the first time next year?

I wouldnt apply with a 23 to US allo schools. If you think your score was a fluke, I might consider retaking immediately (august). If you werent scoring much higher (at least a 29) on practice exams, I would say withdraw the app, retake and do well on the mcat, and then submit the first day next summer. G luck

Once again thanks for the advice. I've changed my mind now and decided to bite the bullet and retake it on Sept. 12th. It's a little over a month away but I've decided to sit down and really focus getting my biology score, and, if I can, get my verbal up. I realised that I was about 80% prepared the first time around and it's not like I forgot everything I reviewed. Most of the material is still in my head, it's just a matter of me going back, reviewing and practicing more problems. I just ordered the Berkeley Review material as extra practice material, so we'll see how that goes. Thanks again and once again good luck on your app.

I think that is a very smart idea, good one on the timing - before school gets too serious and before you forget everything like I did with a year in between. And you'll have your results in before you have to apply. I've never heard of Berkeley Review - hope it's good. Once again, best of luck to you...let's make the second time a charm! :)

ohhh man i haven't been here in so long!!! man this thread is ****ng awesome!!! hope all of you are well!! i#m just chilling, waiting to be verified...fun fun. how is everyone else's summers going...MCAT withdrawls?

ohhh man i haven't been here in so long!!! man this thread is ****ng awesome!!! hope all of you are well!! i#m just chilling, waiting to be verified...fun fun. how is everyone else's summers going...MCAT withdrawls?
not at all. i'm glad for that **** to be over!!! but we should all still check in on this thread every once in a while...