Friday the 13th - June MCAT Club!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Nanon

An urban myth.
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just signed up for this date. Any other superstitiously impaired folks out there?

I'm studying at home with EK material, and doing pretty well on those 30 minute tests. It's just getting through all the material while I work full time and take care of the kiddo that has me looking like :scared::eek: all the time. So unattractive.

S.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi everyone,
I have been working on my application and finished it all yesterday!! However, when I talked with my advisor, she told me not to apply this year because if I have to reapply next year (which is very likely) I will have a lower chance of getting in. I have heard applying again shows persistence but she told me that the first time we have a 60% chance of getting in but the years after it gets to 40%. So now I really don't know if I should give it a shot or not. Except for MCAT with really low verbal (23P) I have a 3.78 GPA with straight A's in the last 2.5 yrs and lots of A+'s. A lot of EC's including research/volunteering/teaching/etc. What do you guys think? should I give it a shot this year since I have everything ready in my application and amcas recieved all my transcripts, etc. or should I just take the mcat again in January and hope for the best in verbal then apply for the first time next year?

I think that's true only to the schools you actually apply, so I think since you have everything done, you could just apply to a few schools, and apply to many more next year.

Or am I wrong? Is Reapplicant status is school specific or how does it work, when does a school consider you a "Reapplicant"?

Last edited:
It sort of makes sense that reapplicants would be less likely to be admitted than first time applicants because by definition that person has already been rejected once and normally has spent only one year improving the application. So I don't think the percentages should be taken as predictive.

Hi everyone,
I have been working on my application and finished it all yesterday!! However, when I talked with my advisor, she told me not to apply this year because if I have to reapply next year (which is very likely) I will have a lower chance of getting in. I have heard applying again shows persistence but she told me that the first time we have a 60% chance of getting in but the years after it gets to 40%. So now I really don't know if I should give it a shot or not. Except for MCAT with really low verbal (23P) I have a 3.78 GPA with straight A's in the last 2.5 yrs and lots of A+'s. A lot of EC's including research/volunteering/teaching/etc. What do you guys think? should I give it a shot this year since I have everything ready in my application and amcas recieved all my transcripts, etc. or should I just take the mcat again in January and hope for the best in verbal then apply for the first time next year?

Don't apply this year! Just get your MCAT up and you'll be golden for next year. With your MCAT score, you only have a slim chance of getting into an allopathic med school anyway, but you would have a much better shot next year with a score closer to 30. Save your nerves and your money, and use this summer to study for the MCAT and kick a**! That's just my 2 cents. ;)

Members don't see this ad :)
Don't apply this year! Just get your MCAT up and you'll be golden for next year. With your MCAT score, you only have a slim chance of getting into an allopathic med school anyway, but you would have a much better shot next year with a score closer to 30. Save your nerves and your money, and use this summer to study for the MCAT and kick a**! That's just my 2 cents. ;)

Another thing is that if you apply again, you'll have to explain how you improved your application and you're better off not needing to do that considering you will only have a year in between applications.

Hi everyone this is my first post on SDN but I have been following the posts since before
the June 13 mcats. I received my score for June 13 and it was in the "teens". This is my second mcat score that is low in the teens. I was scoring high 20's on the practice exams but I don't know what happened here. I want to apply to a MD or DO school in New York and I have tried exam krackers and studied from the princeton books.
Does anyone have any suggestions for me?? Will private tutoring be worth it??