Friday the 13th - June MCAT Club!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Nanon

An urban myth.
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just signed up for this date. Any other superstitiously impaired folks out there?

I'm studying at home with EK material, and doing pretty well on those 30 minute tests. It's just getting through all the material while I work full time and take care of the kiddo that has me looking like :scared::eek: all the time. So unattractive.

S.

Members don't see this ad.

HOLY ****
a. FOOD: WE ARE SCORES SIBS!

aamc/kaplan averages: 35-39
felt like: 28-32
ACTUAL:
VR 9
PS 14
BS 15

TOTAL: 38

I AM SO UNBALACNCED! BUT WHATEVER
and p.s. food, i am also crying and snotting all over the place, but i'm a girl hahah

AVERAGE SCORES (AAMC tests #’s)
VR: -9

PS: - 11
BS: - 11

PREDICTED SCORES
VR: - 6

PS: - 10
BS: - 10
WS: - Didn't care

6/13 MCAT OFFICIAL SCORE
2PM
VR: - 9
PS: - 12
WS: - P

All I have to say is.... woot

33P
PS: 13
BS: 10
VR: 10
WS: P
A 10 in BS is a huge WTH. I expected 12 12 10, but this is not bad. Genetics killed me. If I don't get in anywhere this cycle, will have to retake it.

Members don't see this ad :)
6/13 2pm
Practice Test Averages: (AAMC 7-10)
PS: 12
VR: 14
BS: 11

Prediction (my last few practice tests):
VR: 15
BS: 12

Actual:
PS: 11
VR: 10 (wtf? I never got below a 13 on a practice test)
Q

I'm really upset I dont know what happened with the verbal. And I had hoped that a really high MCAT (predicted from practice tests) would have balanced my lower GPA for top notch schools, but alas FL here I come (I hope)

HOLY ****
a. FOOD: WE ARE SCORES SIBS!

aamc/kaplan averages: 35-39
felt like: 28-32
ACTUAL:
VR 9
PS 14
BS 15

TOTAL: 38

I AM SO UNBALACNCED! BUT WHATEVER
and p.s. food, i am also crying and snotting all over the place, but i'm a girl hahah

Wow, that is awesome!

6/13 2pm
Practice Test Averages: (AAMC 7-10)
VR: 14

Prediction (my last few practice tests):
VR: 15
BS: 12

Actual:
PS: 11
VR: 10 (wtf? I never got below a 13 on a practice test)
Q

I'm really upset I dont know what happened with the verbal. And I had hoped that a really high MCAT (predicted from practice tests) would have balanced my lower GPA for top notch schools, but alas FL here I come (I hope)
sorry about that chemgrad. But with your gpa and that score, you will get into med school...so stay positive about it! My aamc avg was 3 pts higher than my actual score, but it's ok. The end result is what matters, not your score on one test.

how did you prepare?
hey, sorry i took a while to get back to ya... i was celebrating. heh.

i took all the prereq classes, bought a barron's mcat prep book (not worth it at ALL, the thing emphasized bio over everything else, didn't even touch on the important parts of electrochem...), did 3 aamc practices, took the test. i couldn't be happier!

VR: - 9
PS: - 9

PREDICTED SCORES
VR: - 10
PS: - 8
BS: - 8

6/13 MCAT OFFICIAL SCORE
2 PM
VR: - 8
PS: - 10
WS: - O

I know i scored the same as my practice avg's, but do you guys think a 29O with a 3.47 gpa is good enough for lower-tier MD/DO schools?

Im a NJ resident.

Please any advice will be very much appreciated.

any advice guys???

AVERAGE SCORES (AAMC tests #'s)
VR: -12
PS: -10
BS: -11

PREDICTED SCORES
PS: -8
BS: -12
WS: - who cares, not used for anesthesiologist assistant school

6/13 MCAT OFFICIAL SCORE
VR: - 11
PS: -10
BS: -8
WS: -M (who cares)
29M - not bad for an acupuncturist / pain murse

So taken in the context that I only studied part-time for a month and that all of my prerequisites I took before my 1st marriage [10+ years ago, on marriage #2 right now], I think a 29 is fine. I needed a 25 for anesthesiologist assistant school and since the writing part was irrelevant, I didn't practice it [obviously].

I did already register for a retake the Monday after this test, so now I have to decide if I want to take it or cancel. I got the score I needed but I would like to see what I could have done with a little more preparation. Plus, the pain docs I work with keep suggesting KU med, which would obviously require some higher scores.

But perhaps the oddest thing was I bombed the BS and scored higher on the PS. WTF?

Edit - I said I would only drink and take myself out of ketosis if I got below a 25 or above a 35. On the advice of several people I respect, I've decided to drink anyway.

Hey guys,

Okay 1st real MCAT (09/07):

11P-10V-12B (33O)

AAMC averages close to new test:

13P-10V-13B

Prediction:

14P-09V-12B

Actual (06/13/08 2p.m.)

13P-10V-12B (35Q)

Well, I'm glad Physics and Writing sample went up and ecstatic that verbal stayed put!

1/25/08 Test

12 PS
9 VR
10 BS
Q WS

Expected

6/13/08 2 PM

11 PS
11 VR
12 BS
N WS

I am very pleased with my score. I knew I half assed my writing section but given I already had a Q, I didn't think it was a big deal. So glad this is over now.

I got my average scores... Woohoo!!! After all the grudges we had against AAMC, their system is accurate after all.

I hope all of you are happy.

Members don't see this ad :)
6/13 MCAT OFFICIAL SCORE
8AM
VR: - 10
PS: - 11
WS: - K ????

Has anyone ever scored this low on a writing sample? Would you guys retake it or still apply?

my brother got a 31 J, and it didn't affect him, he got 3/4 of interviews of the schools he applied, and got in a good school he wanted...DOn't worry about it.. The writing isn't a big deal at all.

GOOD Job!!

1/25/08 Test

12 PS
9 VR
10 BS
Q WS

Expected

6/13/08 2 PM

11 PS
11 VR
12 BS
N WS

I am very pleased with my score. I knew I half assed my writing section but given I already had a Q, I didn't think it was a big deal. So glad this is over now.

Any reasons for the retake? Was it the 9 in the Jan VR section?

Hey guys,

AAMC Practise averages:
VR 9, PS 12, BS 13 34

Expected:
VR 9, PS 10, BS 12 31

Actual June 13 MCAT:
VR 7, PS 12, BS 13 32 P

That damn verbal.....do you guys think I have to retake it if I wanna get into IL MD school? Don't know whether I should be happy or angry.......
advice on how i should feel would be appreciated :)

P.s. my science GPA is 4.0, overall is 3.63, got 6 months of volunteering and 1 year of research.

ny state resident..i have a 3.86 gpa in my major, 3.8 in non-major..im looking into albany med, suny downstate/upstate and some other schools in nyc..im just thinking that the 9 in BS is gonna do me in

Ugh, 4 points below my personal average...all in verbal! I have a feeling that a 7 in verbal is not going to get me into any MD schools that I was considering.

My question is for all of you that are now considering to retake the exam, when do you plan to do so? Is September too late in the application cycle? I would like to be a part of the class of 2013, but I am not sure if 3 weeks is enough preparation time. I haven't looked at a thing since June 12th!

ny state resident..i have a 3.86 gpa in my major, 3.8 in non-major..im looking into albany med, suny downstate/upstate and some other schools in nyc..im just thinking that the 9 in BS is gonna do me in
you should be fine. how were your practice test scores? do you think you can improve? the problem is that it's july...it might be more beneficial if you apply now rather than retake in a month (and get your score in sept!) and apply late. So, it's a hard decision.

my brother got a 31 J, and it didn't affect him, he got 3/4 of interviews of the schools he applied, and got in a good school he wanted...DOn't worry about it.. The writing isn't a big deal at all.

GOOD Job!!

Thanks! This is very reassuring! I'm a non-trad with a BFA in design who has spent the last couple years working as an illustrator so perhaps a low writing score should not have been surprising.

Ugh, 4 points below my personal average...all in verbal! I have a feeling that a 7 in verbal is not going to get me into any MD schools that I was considering.

My question is for all of you that are now considering to retake the exam, when do you plan to do so? Is September too late in the application cycle? I would like to be a part of the class of 2013, but I am not sure if 3 weeks is enough preparation time. I haven't looked at a thing since June 12th!

I feel you pain. Took on May 10th, VR 7, PS 12 BS 10. 29P...just needed one point in verbal to be ok. Practiced my ass off in verbal and was making 9-11 on practice tests...retook on July 10th....verbal passages were so long I had to blindly guess on a whole passage (7 questions)...I voided....hoping I can get in somewhere :confused:

i averaged an 11PS, 10V, 12BS..so the 9BS on the real test was a downer...i think i can improve but im not sure how to weigh out the pros and cons

Sup fellas,

I was wondering if you all could give me some feedback, cuz i feel like im in kinda a situation where i dont know if i should apply or not (i have all my AMCAS matierals ready to be sent but held it off just to see how i did on this MCAT)

VR: 07
WS: R
BS: 15

My undergrad GPA is 3.1, science is 3.2 (at Northwestern)
My postbac is a 3.8 (at Harvard)

question of the day: does my 07 on VR eliminate me as a candidate for MD schools? My gpa is pretty low too, but i also took 16 classes my senior year and earned a 3.6 (hardest year, highest cum GPA) so i guess that could be a trend the admissions committee will notice, i hope...and i suppose my top choice would be a school like Northwestern, but i don't know if its even feasible anymore.

Research experience is good and volunteering is mediocre.

i have 5 letters of recommendation from professors and PI's who have known me for at least a year, on a personal level.

hmm, what else?

anyway, the reason im writing this is because my 07 on verbal bugs the hell out of me. I got a 05 last time and basically waited another entire year to apply. If asked to take again, theres no way ill bring it up to double digits, and a slim chance that ill get a 9. I guess what im trying to say is, are medical schools willing to forgive a really low verbal score if somehow your other sections make up for it? and yeah we read a lot of things in medical school so VR scores are important to the committee...but seriously, some people just can't do well on it...i know i cannot improve. is my disability to do VR well going to cut me off short for ever being a doctor? i feel like i can manage everything else BUT its just that stupid 60 minute section that weighs me down.

Btw im not a URM so it makes it even tougher for me.

If you guys can offer me your $0.02 it'd be awesome

Any reasons for the retake? Was it the 9 in the Jan VR section?

A few reasons:

1.) I was an English Lit major in undergrad. and was testing at 11-12 in both verbal and bio. The 9 verbal was a big issue for me.
2.) I am a non-trad with a stellar 3.0 GPA for my undergrad and a 3.85 post-bac. I felt I had a lot to prove on the MCAT given my cumulative GPA is around a 3.2 with a 3.75 science GPA.
3.) I thought I could do better.

i averaged an 11PS, 10V, 12BS..so the 9BS on the real test was a downer...i think i can improve but im not sure how to weigh out the pros and cons
yeah, that's kinda hard. you know all the pros and cons to retaking...so it's really up to you here. whatever you may feel is the right thing to do.
If it was up to me, i go ahead and apply broadly this cycle. If I don't get an acceptance, I'd retake the MCAT and re-apply next cycle...but that's what I would think is best. It's really up to you.

Man, I'm still in shock. Where the h3ll did I pull a 36S out from?! Seriously!!
I'm (obviously) not complaining, though. I'm gonna get the office I'm shadowing a bunch of cupcakes in the coming days! It's going to be awesome.

(I promised cupcakes, I'm delivering cupcakes!!)

Practice Test Scores
AAMC 03 - 23
AAMC 04 - 23
AAMC 05 - 29
AAMC 06 - 30
AAMC 07 - 29
AAMC 08 - 27
AAMC 09 - 32
AAMC 10 - 28

6/13 MCAT OFFICIAL SCORE
8am or 2pm? - 8am
VR: - 11
PS: - 13
WS: - Q

Total: 34Q

I'm shocked and ecstatic. I know I'm not the only one who felt like I completely bombed the test. Didn't even finish the last problem in PS. Goes to show that this test can be unpredictable at times...

Good luck everyone!

Guys I would totally appreciate your opinion on my score and especially verbal:
VR 7, PS 12, BS 13 - 32P
Do you think I have to retake it if I wanna get into Illinois MD school?

Thanx a lot for ur advice

sorry about that chemgrad. But with your gpa and that score, you will get into med school...so stay positive about it! My aamc avg was 3 pts higher than my actual score, but it's ok. The end result is what matters, not your score on one test.
Ditto. :laugh: I used to give props to all the people who did better than their averages on the MCAT, but now you all piss me off b/c I did lower than my averages :p

Practice aamc:
Three weeks before: 26,29

Two weaks before: 32, 33,

1 week before MCAT:
35, 32 (average of 11 across all sections and finally broke 13 on PS and BS)

MCAT:
11PS, 13BS, 11VR

Writing : O

I won't be retaking this friday, thank god....seriously I was going to shoot myself....good luck everyone!!!!

Ditto. :laugh: I used to give props to all the people who did better than their averages on the MCAT, but now you all piss me off b/c I did lower than my averages :p
back from lunch?
haha yeah...your practice scores were higher too! there's really not much we can do about it now...and i'm really happy that (overall) my app looks good!

10VS/10PS/10BS/S

I'm SO BUMMED... I feel like I'm in this no man's land between definitely retaking (lower than 30) and feeling comfortable with my score (32 or higher). Should I retake? I can't believe this... I was scoring 34s on practice tests... Bio surprised the crap out of me... ughhh I'm so tired I can't even cry... I've got a decent gpa 3.7 overall and 3.56 BCPM. I'm so average/slightly below average... but I've got great EC's... ARGHHH!! I DONT KNOW WHAT TO DO! :(

VR: -13
PS: -9
BS: -9

PREDICTED SCORES
PS: -6
BS: -9
WS: - didn't really care

6/13 MCAT OFFICIAL SCORE
VR: - 9 (cannot even believe this after my averages, verbal was my strongest always and I felt most confident about it after ending the test. Felt like I left getting a 15.)
PS: - 8 (curve definitely helped)
BS: - 10 (not really too surprised)
WS: - Q
27Q - low end of the range i wanted to get, might retake though, possibly not

Guys I would totally appreciate your opinion on my score and especially verbal:
VR 7, PS 12, BS 13 - 32P
Do you think I have to retake it if I wanna get into Illinois MD school?

Thanx a lot for ur advice

If everything else is in order, I should hope this is an adequate score! SDN has made you paranoid! Relax dude, 85th percentile is rockin'!

10VS/10PS/10BS/S

I'm SO BUMMED... I feel like I'm in this no man's land between definitely retaking (lower than 30) and feeling comfortable with my score (32 or higher). Should I retake? I can't believe this... I was scoring 34s on practice tests... Bio surprised the crap out of me... ughhh I'm so tired I can't even cry... I've got a decent gpa 3.7 overall and 3.56 BCPM. I'm so average/slightly below average... but I've got great EC's... ARGHHH!! I DONT KNOW WHAT TO DO! :(
I'm sorry! Your score is really on the border. What state are you a resident of?

Last year: 21M 7 7 7
This year: 31M 12 PS 10 BS 9 V

I'll take it but WTF on the WS?

Hey guys, sorry for repositing

This is how my MCAT broke down:

9 PS

8 VR...:scared:

11 BS

WS Q.

my GPA is 3.61 and sci is 3.97 I have 2 yrs of clinical experience and other ECs I was just wondering what your opinions are on retaking this damn exam or just going with the 28Q Thanks!

Any opinions guys =/

If everything else is in order, I should hope this is an adequate score! SDN has made you paranoid! Relax dude, 85th percentile is rockin'!

Frunkey, I totally appreciate your encouragement....I'm gonna start feeling happy about my score now :)

Yeah I'm an NJ resident and applying to both UMDNJs. My ECs include shadowing, bio tutor, and a Spanish english med interpreter. I don't know if I can improve with a retake

back from lunch?
haha yeah...your practice scores were higher too! there's really not much we can do about it now...and i'm really happy that (overall) my app looks good!
Yeah, lol. My wife brought me home sushi and when I came back upstairs I realized that the I didn't unsubscribe successfully I guess b/c this was top of my SDN subscribed threads in my account. :laugh:

NC resident.... check my profile out guys 12PS 9VR 11BS P what do you guys think for OOS schools

you guys need to more confidence in yourselves,

with all 10's you should have no problem getting in esp with a solid gpa...

Yeah I'm an NJ resident and applying to both UMDNJs. My ECs include shadowing, bio tutor, and a Spanish english med interpreter. I don't know if I can improve with a retake
You should have a fair shot then. If you don't think you can improve, then you should not retake! If you're willing to spend the next couple months studying, then it would probably help.