Friday the 13th - June MCAT Club!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Nanon

An urban myth.
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just signed up for this date. Any other superstitiously impaired folks out there?

I'm studying at home with EK material, and doing pretty well on those 30 minute tests. It's just getting through all the material while I work full time and take care of the kiddo that has me looking like :scared::eek: all the time. So unattractive.

S.

Members don't see this ad.

wooo, i never post, i just read.

Avg:
PS 10
VR 10
BS 12

Predicted:
PS 9
VR 9
BS 12

Actual:
PS 11
VR 10
BS 12
WS Q

wooooooo, refused to use kaplan or one of the other courses, and i was regretting it up until fifteen minutes ago, woooooo :):):)

this forum>>>>kaplan, tpr, berkeley review, anything else

you guys are fantastic. best of luck to the rest of you and your scores!
how did you prepare?

hell no.. go with it, especially if you're applying this summer.. very well balanced score
would you honestly wanna go through all this uncertainty all over? =[

Haha no, I'm befuddled how it could have been that low. Will most admissions consider a 31K to just be an anomaly?

Haha no, I'm befuddled how it could have been that low. Will most admissions consider a 31K to just be an anomaly?

whats the range for the writing anyway? ive never cared! I would just apply- i highly doubt that youd be rejected for your writing score--esp if you have a good personal statement

Members don't see this ad :)
Dude there is SO a point to it for some of us aka Canadians. I needed an R to meet one of my dream school's cutoffs (ended up with a Q). So be proud dude! :laugh:

stixx i am also a canadian and i had to rewrite a 33N to be competitive in CAN

this time i got 33Q - dropped to 9 in verbal but up to 12 in physics

any thoughts on chances with the change

2 points higher than my average! Thought I got killed on the PS but I ended up getting my average...thought VR was especially easy and ended up with my average on it...thought BS was average and I ended up doing a lot better than expected!

Congrats to everyone else!

Last edited:
AVERAGE SCORES (AAMC tests #’s)
VR: - 10.5
PS: - 9.5
BS: - 9.75

PREDICTED SCORES
VR: - 10
PS: - 7
BS: - 8

6/13 MCAT OFFICIAL SCORE
8 AM
PS: - 9
BS: - 11
WS: - M

So to judge how I felt after the test compared to now, here are some select quotes:

I felt this was harder than the first I took without studying. And I got a 25 on that.
And I've also started thinking about reapplying next year and other career paths. Maybe overreacting, but how do I become a high school teacher?

There's only one consolation in all this. If I don't score higher than a 28, I'm getting my $80 back from Kaplan for their book. They GUARANTEE a higher score. Hell, there was no way I thought anybody could ever actually do more poorly than when they started.
I literally never felt more stupid after being tested on something.
Right now I'm thinking I could have gotten a 20 or a 35.

So yeah, I've never felt worse in my life after that test. I even had the pleasure of driving home 3+ hours after the test because Prometric closed down the site I was supposed to take it at. But now I am ecstatic!

VR: - 10.5
PS: - 9.5
BS: - 9.75

PREDICTED SCORES
PS: - 7

6/13 MCAT OFFICIAL SCORE
8 AM
WS: - M

So to judge how I felt after the test compared to now, here are some select quotes:

So yeah, I've never felt worse in my life after that test. I even had the pleasure of driving home 3+ hours after the test because Prometric closed down the site I was supposed to take it at. But now I am ecstatic!

I'm glad it worked out for you!

If you can use the word befuddled in a sentence, I believe you :p

I've always been complimented on my writing skills, and I honestly think I lost points b/c I did what I told myself I wouldn't do: I was political about current events. (I couldn't think of anything else to say!)

wooooooo, refused to use kaplan or one of the other courses, and i was regretting it up until fifteen minutes ago, woooooo :):):)
I really agree with this sentiment. I spent maybe $200 on EK books and another $200 AAMC practice exams and that's it. Up until last week when I was fretting about the scores, my parents were like "you know you should've just taken us up on the offer to pay for a course..." and "we'll still chip in for one if you need to take the exam again..."

I think you just need to know your learning style (after 2 or 3 years of college you probably know) and plan accordingly.

Members don't see this ad :)
stixx i am also a canadian and i had to rewrite a 33N to be competitive in CAN

this time i got 33Q - dropped to 9 in verbal but up to 12 in physics

any thoughts on chances with the change
First off, congrats on your score. Do you browse the premed101 forums? I'm gonna have to go see what they think, you should too.

AVERAGE SCORES (AAMC tests #'s)
VR: - 9
BS: - 10

PREDICTED SCORES
PS: - 8

6/13 MCAT OFFICIAL SCORE
2 PM
VR: - 8
PS: - 10
WS: - O

I know i scored the same as my practice avg's, but do you guys think a 29O with a 3.47 gpa is good enough for lower-tier MD/DO schools?

Im a NJ resident.

Please any advice will be very much appreciated.

If you can use the word befuddled in a sentence, I believe you :p

I've always been complimented on my writing skills, and I honestly think I lost points b/c I did what I told myself I wouldn't do: I was political about current events. (I couldn't think of anything else to say!)
My writing sample was pure ****.

VR: -
PS: - 12.75
BS: - 12.25

PREDICTED SCORES
VR: - 8

WS: - Q

6/13 MCAT OFFICIAL SCORE
2PM
PS: - 12
BS: - 12

34Q. I know it is a good score and compared to how I felt after the test it is a good surprise too but for some reason I still feel depressed about it.

congratulations to all those who did well and never have to worry about this stupid test again! and to those who aren't happy with their scores and are retaking, don't give up hope! i improved 9 points from my january mcat by drilling practice problems/tests for about 6 weeks before the june test. be confident in yourselves and your abilities and keep at it!

Practice AAMCs: 33-35

Took all, with progressive improvement to 35

Real June 13th, 8am:
PS: 12
VR: 09
W: S
BS: 11

Composite: 32 S

I really wanted a 34...I'm extremely disappointed with a 9 in VR since I felt like the passages were easy to read and I answered all. And I was expecting a 12 in BS, Really wanted to break the 10 on all sections. Oh well. I guess the S in writing makes up for it? Why does VR correlate with med school performance! Oh god!

I have a 3.96 GPA. Now I'm afraid that Adcoms will view that as grade inflation. I have really worked hard during the past three years of undergrad to obtain those grades and now I don't want my MCAT to undermine it.

What do you all think? I'm mainly concerned that my MCAT does not measure up to my GPA.

33...M? 2PM
VR:11
BS:10
Writing: M...?? I swear english is my 1st language

steady decline...test fatigue?
How bad will the M hurt me?
3.95 GPA and Doctor of Pharmacy Degree.

-I guess its time to head to the 'What are my chances" thread

A 32 is still good..

What percentile is it? Isn't it still in the 90s? I got a 30, and it blows how its in the 70something percentile..

Practice AAMCs: 33-35

Took all, with progressive improvement to 35

Real June 13th, 8am:
VR: 09
W: S
BS: 11

Composite: 32 S

I really wanted a 34...I'm extremely disappointed with a 9 in VR since I felt like the passages were easy to read and I answered all. And I was expecting a 12 in BS, Really wanted to break the 10 on all sections. Oh well. I guess the S in writing makes up for it? Why does VR correlate with med school performance! Oh god!

I have a 3.96 GPA. Now I'm afraid that Adcoms will view that as grade inflation. I have really worked hard during the past three years of undergrad to obtain those grades and now I don't want my MCAT to undermine it.

What do you all think? I'm mainly concerned that my MCAT does not measure up to my GPA.

we are in a similar situation i have a 12/9/12 Q and similar albeit lower GPA

i am wondering the same thing

VR: - 9-10
BS: - 12

PREDICTED SCORES
VR: - 10-11
PS: - 12-13
BS: - 10-11

6/13 MCAT OFFICIAL SCORE
2 PM

I only studied a month, so I'm definitely happy with it. However, I might take it again for kicks...we'll see. I dunno how I got a Q on writing; I suck at writing...its totally arbitrary. Bio screwed me a bit because there was hardly any orgo and that's what I'm good at, so that's probably the reason for the difference between practice bio and actual bio.

VR: - 7

BS: - 9

PREDICTED SCORES
VR: - 9

WS: - //

6/13 MCAT OFFICIAL SCORE
2PM
VR: - 7
PS: - 11

27Q

I don't know what to do now. I have a 3.97 GPA. Will it be okay to apply with that GPA and that MCAT score?

Hey guys, I really need your opinions on this.

I got a 28 Q 8VR 9PS 11BS

I want to know should I retake. I really appreciate all your opinions.

Congrats to all of you who did really well

Ok. I took the 8 am and have my scores. I started using Kaplan May 8th and studied til June 12th.

Practice Test

Kaplan 1: 24
Kaplan 2: 24
Kaplan 3: 26
AAMC 7 : 26
AAMC 8 : 27
AAMC 9 : 25

Actual Test

29 N with 11 PS 8 V 10 BS

i have a quick question

my first mcat break down was PS: 9, VR: 9, WS: R and BS: 10
overall: 28R

i just got my score back and i got
PS: 11
VR: 8
WS: Q
BS: 13
total: 32Q

so my question is, how bad is it that my verbal reasoning and writing sample went down? and should i take it again in september?

VR: - 12

PREDICTED SCORES
VR: - 13
WS: - P

6/13 MCAT OFFICIAL SCORE
8 AM
VR - 10
PS - 11
BS - 11
WS - Q

another 32Q :thumbup:

I don't remember what the poster wanted us to explain about the whole "mcat experience" but I'll just write about what I did/felt.

before the test
-3 weeks of studying (no job, pretty much all day studying)
-used kaplan book, some of kaplan's FL's that came with it, and about 4 or 5 aamc tests
-felt very strong in verbal, weak in physical, and moderately confident in bio

after the test
-Thought I did surprisingly good in physics/chemistry (turned out to be right for me, 11 is higher than I ever got on any practice test)
- felt good about verbal but scored the lowest I ever have on it
- thought I really might have screwed the pooch with this one, my OCD kicked in and I started freaking out after a couple of hours and kind of ran out of time, alot of quick guessing, I think I either got lucky or their was a big curve

August 2007 Score
VR: 8 :(
BS: 10
Writing: N (and I thought I did so well, too!)

Average AAMC Ranges

PS: 13-14
VR: 8-11
BS: 12-13

Predicted Score
PS: 11
VR: 9
BS: 13
Writing: L (not even kidding, they were two of the worst essays I think I've ever submitted to anything ever)

Actual Score (2:00 PM)
PS: 13
VR: 10
BS: 12
Writing: Q (WTF!!)

Composite
35Q :hardy:
Okay, so this is on the lower end of what I *wanted* to receive, but I'll certainly take it. Finally, a pretty score to match my pretty GPA!

I am definitely getting ice cream tonight.

Congratulations to everyone who has posted, it seems like there are some sighs of relief going on. I'm with you. Today was torturous.

Last edited:
MCAT = Done

Therefore I am officially unsubscribing from all things MCAT related. I wish you all the best of luck, congrats to all, and good-bye 6/13/08 club!

Oh no, no the 90s. 32 is 84-88%
Before I read this post I was just about to say, "go look at the THx percentiles, you're still in the high 80s!" But obviously you had high expectations and I respect that.

With regards to grade inflation, I hear the adcoms are aware of it but don't take it into that much consideration. Just as if someone's application comes by with a 3.40/40 they're not going to assume the college they went to was excessively difficult. Most likely there was some sort of personal problem, whether it be lack of work ethic etc. or that they just got lucky on test day. For you it will be the exact opposite.

so will a 6 in vr keep me from getting any interviews with a 3.78 gpa?

A 6 is pretty low. Unless you have stellar ECs, BS, PS MCAT scores, excellent clinical experience, etc....you probably need to consider retaking. Hard to know though, without knowing your other MCAT scores. Are you set on MD schools, or are you considering DO?

Hey guys, sorry for repositing

This is how my MCAT broke down:

9 PS

8 VR...:scared:

11 BS

WS Q.

my GPA is 3.61 and sci is 3.97 I have 2 yrs of clinical experience and other ECs I was just wondering what your opinions are on retaking this damn exam or just going with the 28Q Thanks!

21 here, 8 BS, 5 PS, 8VR, So WTF happened to our PS curve??? Well, Aug. 7th here I come. Not totally surprised, but was hoping for something better in BS and VR.

Damn.

I got 10s on the other two sections, and have pretty good EC's. I only want to apply MD. I studied my ass off and don't know what else I can do to improve my verbal score.
Everyone says verbal is hardest to improve on - but there's still loads of room to go with the sciences. If you retook and got a P12V6B12, the 6 would still hurt you, but you'd have a total of a 30 and may get some love.

i really wish i hadn't freaked out on the test.. it was my first one, but that shouldn't be an excuse..

I got a 26P:mad:

PS 11
VR 7------F***
BS 8----- freaked out on 1 passage

i've got a cum gpa of 3.84 and sci gpa 3.86

def have to retake the mcat

PS: 10
VR: 12
BS: 10
WS: N!!!!!

Total: 32N

I'm very thankful for my score, but what the heck is up w/ that N??????? I thought I did the best in my essays compared to the questions, and I don't write that bad. Heck, I was in a graduate program where you have to write like ten freakin page term papers every semester!

I'd like to see those AAMC test graders answer those essays.... :annoyed:

Good LUCK w/ applications everyone!
I made a 32O 6/13/08
A little disappointed and happy at the same time. My practice tests were all 33 and up. Oh well. Anyways, have major clinical experience...wondering if I still have a chance at Baylor, Duke and Vanderbilt!? Most likely will not retake.

Hey guys, so what are we supposed to do now? Like, are we supposed to click the option to send to our designated schools in the THx window? Is that how you send your MCAT score to med schools?