Friday the 13th - June MCAT Club!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Nanon

An urban myth.
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just signed up for this date. Any other superstitiously impaired folks out there?

I'm studying at home with EK material, and doing pretty well on those 30 minute tests. It's just getting through all the material while I work full time and take care of the kiddo that has me looking like :scared::eek: all the time. So unattractive.

S.

Members don't see this ad.

hey Im with you guys, June 13th here we come!!!! I am also doing the EK thing however, I was doing the 10 week thing but I am only halfway so I am trying to decide what to do either do a lecture a day with only 1 day off (use this to take EK 101 verbal and 1001 questions) and then take practice tests like crazy after all that is done, or do practice tests throughout the prep?? Reason I am stuck is bc if I do the last one then I wil only have a week and a half between when I finish and exam, and with the first about 2 and a half weeks???? any suggestions???

hey Im with you guys, June 13th here we come!!!! I am also doing the EK thing however, I was doing the 10 week thing but I am only halfway so I am trying to decide what to do either do a lecture a day with only 1 day off (use this to take EK 101 verbal and 1001 questions) and then take practice tests like crazy after all that is done, or do practice tests throughout the prep?? Reason I am stuck is bc if I do the last one then I wil only have a week and a half between when I finish and exam, and with the first about 2 and a half weeks???? any suggestions???

I am reviewing EK mixed with old Kaplan books (what a difference there) and taking a AAMC practice test every week (along with the 30 min. tests from EK, and whatever other random tests I can get my hands on) from here on out with extensive studying on missed topic areas. The week before our test I plan on doing 3-4 practice tests and lightly reviewing missed questions. 1 or 2 more the week of the test. I don't know if this is the right way or not, but we'll see. Good Luck to everyone.

Members don't see this ad :)
I just signed up for this date. Any other superstitiously impaired folks out there?

I'm studying at home with EK material, and doing pretty well on those 30 minute tests. It's just getting through all the material while I work full time and take care of the kiddo that has me looking like :scared::eek: all the time. So unattractive.

S.
When I was a kid, my mom used to tell me that 13 was a lucky number for us. It's interesting that most people got told the opposite.

When I was a kid, my mom used to tell me that 13 was a lucky number for us. It's interesting that most people got told the opposite.

Actually, I was told the same thing. And honestly, what do you expect from someone who got married on April Fools Day? :laugh:

Yeah the date seems to be closing in really quick. I have been studying the Kaplan book about 2 hours a day on top of my full time job. I also just purchased the Exam Krackers Verabl 101 to try to get my verbal past the 10 mark. On all of my exams I have been consistantly 14 on the PS and BS and a 10 on the VR. I have to get that up so I can meet my goal.

Good thing I'm not superstitious... although if I don't do as well as hoped, maybe I'll just blame it on the date. :oops:

Yeah the date seems to be closing in really quick. I have been studying the Kaplan book about 2 hours a day on top of my full time job. I also just purchased the Exam Krackers Verabl 101 to try to get my verbal past the 10 mark. On all of my exams I have been consistantly 14 on the PS and BS and a 10 on the VR. I have to get that up so I can meet my goal.

14 on PS and BS? And you haven't met your goal? I thought I was an overachiever. I'll trade you my twelve on VR for a couple on bio...

I am a college prof so I have set my goal a little high so my students don't make fun of me :rolleyes:. My goal is a 40 but I think the verbal section is going to kill that dream. I am the type of person that learns best from someone telling me something. When I have to read something I have to read it 2 or 3 times to get the full meaning of it. This kills my verbal score. I have just purchased the exam krackers 101 book so hopefully this will add a point or two. As for over achiever well not really I am just trying to make a slightly low GPA and little volunteer work look a little better on my aqpps.

I guess I am a little supersticious though because I was like friday the 13 no I cant take that test :laugh:

I'm superstitious in a weird way, so I chose friday the 13th on purpose. Its a pretty awesome day to take a pretty crappy test.

So, I've switched my work schedule to 6am - 2pm so that I can have 2 hours to study before I have to pick up the kiddo from daycare. The problem I've been having is that I fall asleep (which more resembles passing out) about two hours after the kiddo goes down, leaving one hour of inadequate studying after dishes and laundry are done.

Progress so far: All first chapters of EK101 are done, and most of the problem sets for each chapter in 1001 are also done, except verbal. I got a 13 on verbal without studying last time. Who knows? Maybe if I put in a few hours on it this time, I'll get a 15. (Btw, this is not something I can teach. Some people are gifted mathematicians. Some are gifted musicians. I am a gifted reader of... stuff. I even like reading the cereal box.)

Goal for this week: Finish chapter 2 and all problems for physics and gen chem, and finish reading chapter 2 for bio and ochem. Take practice test on Sunday.

S.

Just signed up this week!

This is my second go-round. Ugh. Kinda scared with the whole computer switch thing.

I have a month and a half to bust my hump and do it right this time.

Wishing you all luck! :luck:

Members don't see this ad :)
Will I still be considered an early applicant if I take the test on this day?

Yes, IF the following advice is heeded: Make sure every other part of your application is complete, including all transcripts. That way, you'll be complete in mid July. From what I understand, getting your app in and complete before August is relatively early.

Anyone else starting to have random high anxiety? One of my bosses asked me today, "Are you taking time off before the test?" And I said, "Yes, a week." He said, "Nononono... most people take a whole MONTH off beforehand, and study all day, everyday. You should know who you're competing with."

Geeee... thanks for the cortisol dump, Dr. Soandso. :laugh:

S.

Oh, and then he said, "Get those 2 IRB's in post-haste, you're presenting at Grand Rounds at the end of May, you know."

:eek:

:rolleyes:

Anyone else starting to have random high anxiety? One of my bosses asked me today, "Are you taking time off before the test?" And I said, "Yes, a week." He said, "Nononono... most people take a whole MONTH off beforehand, and study all day, everyday. You should know who you're competing with."

Geeee... thanks for the cortisol dump, Dr. Soandso. :laugh:

S.

That sounds like a bit much. A month? No way. I'm hoping for a couple days.

I thought it sounded crazy, too! But then I asked another doctor (Really? A whole month?) and she concurred. Whatev. Still sounds crazy to me. I'm going to trust that the 3 hours I spend everyday studying, the periodic practice tests on the weekends and the 5 practice tests I'll take the week I'm off will suffice. So far, I'm getting nothing below 10 on the 30 minute EK tests, and we'll see what my first full-length will yeild this weekend.

I thought it sounded crazy, too! But then I asked another doctor (Really? A whole month?) and she concurred. Whatev. Still sounds crazy to me. I'm going to trust that the 3 hours I spend everyday studying, the periodic practice tests on the weekends and the 5 practice tests I'll take the week I'm off will suffice. So far, I'm getting nothing below 10 on the 30 minute EK tests, and we'll see what my first full-length will yeild this weekend.

Well, it's not completely crazy. That's what I'm doing starting May 10th. But I'm a little different because on good weeks this semester I've had maybe 2 hours to dedicate towards studying. Did one practice test and got a 28, with a 7 VR. But I'm already at 10 VR on EK101, and closing in on 11.

I'm also a little concerned about when I get verified, but I'll have my application and transcript in right away.

Good luck to everyone!

I'm taking the MCAT for anesthesiologist assistant school and I just registered for 6/13. It has been almost a decade since all of my basic science classes in my first bio (BS) degree so I am going to be rusty...since I am fairly sure that my master's degree in acupuncture and my bachelor's degree in nursing [done after my first degree] are not going to help much.

Once I finish my two final papers for my first [and last] semester of my FNP program (by tomorrow), then it is time to start studying.

Has anyone started taking practice tests yet??

I started this weekend
Kaplan FL1- PS:11 V:8 BS: 10 Tot:29
Kaplan FL2- PS:10 V:9 BS: 10 Tot:29

Goal: 35
Is that possible? don't know yet, but it's not looking good so far

Pretty disapointed, but since I had a lot of trouble finishing the PS section, I feel like I can do much better there. I'm very scared about my verbal score, gotta keep working hard on that. I plan to do as many practice tests as I can because I had trouble with the format and timing. I don't know all the material yet, but I found that the questions I missed were not because of not knowing the material, it was because I wasn't used to the passage style questions - and the discreets were harder than I thought they'd be. I got a lot of orgo questions wrong, which is weird cause I thought they would the ones I get right.

Anyone else want to share stories of there first practice tests?
What score are you shooting for... realistically?

I'm taking the MCAT for anesthesiologist assistant school and I just registered for 6/13. It has been almost a decade since all of my basic science classes in my first bio (BS) degree so I am going to be rusty...since I am fairly sure that my master's degree in acupuncture and my bachelor's degree in nursing [done after my first degree] are not going to help much.

Once I finish my two final papers for my first [and last] semester of my FNP program (by tomorrow), then it is time to start studying.

oooo...masters in acupuncture sounds interesting. Where did you do that? and about the basics...you dont have to review that much :p

Snowy,

I was in the same boat as you on the Kaplan practice exams. I starting taking the tests and was not used to the questions. I started out scoring in the low 20's. I have recently switched to AAMC exams and am preforming much better. My last practice exam was a 38 with little studying. I think the main thing is if you think you have a good understanding of all the material, do as many problems as you can. One of the hardest things on the MCAT is figuring out the question and what it is asking. Once you get that you are good to go. Good luck on your exam and I hope you meet your goal.

Has anyone started taking practice tests yet??

I started this weekend
Kaplan FL1- PS:11 V:8 BS: 10 Tot:29
Kaplan FL2- PS:10 V:9 BS: 10 Tot:29

Goal: 35
Is that possible? don't know yet, but it's not looking good so far

Pretty disapointed, but since I had a lot of trouble finishing the PS section, I feel like I can do much better there. I'm very scared about my verbal score, gotta keep working hard on that. I plan to do as many practice tests as I can because I had trouble with the format and timing. I don't know all the material yet, but I found that the questions I missed were not because of not knowing the material, it was because I wasn't used to the passage style questions - and the discreets were harder than I thought they'd be. I got a lot of orgo questions wrong, which is weird cause I thought they would the ones I get right.

Anyone else want to share stories of there first practice tests?
What score are you shooting for... realistically?

I haven't taken any Kaplan ones yet, but I have takent two AAMC and am not happy (26, 27). My goal is 33 or above, hoping for a solid 35. I realized that I was finishing my sections with literally 15 minutes to spare, so I went back a month after taking that first one and just by paying attention to the questions themselves I was able to answer maybe 5-6 more correctly on each section, so that was a confidence booster, same thing for the second one. So I have decided (not unlike you) that reading the questions well is my weakest point, I get in a hurry I guess? I will be taking my next practice test with this groundbreaking strategy----->read for understanding, not quickness....

Wow, chemnerd, that would be sweet, I hope that happens for me too.

Premedworrier, I need to read the passages better too. For my first test I skipped them (in the sciences only) for the most part. Afterwards when I was reviewing my wrong answers I realized a lot of them were wrong because I hadn't seen information in the passage. I haven't really figured out the best strategy yet, I get the idea that it would be best to skim the passage, and then once a question asks for information you don't know, look for it in the passage. However, I need to somehow figure out how to finish the PS faster! I keep running out of time, which is ridiculous. I had to mark A for about 7 questions at the end of each PS section on my first 2 full lenghts cause I ran out of time.

What are you guys working on now?

For me, I am in the middle of the kaplan class, so i'm trying to do the assigned work, but I also am trying to do the sectional tests cause I definitely am struggling in a bunch of areas. I'm also trying to do at least 2 full lengths a week.

You know what EK guy here too...I have been studying it so much I can rewrite the book on it now lol. Friday the 13th I hope proves lucky for me since this is going to be my second time.

oooo...masters in acupuncture sounds interesting. Where did you do that? and about the basics...you dont have to review that much :p

Completed my master's in acupuncture at Bastyr University [which happens to be a ND factory, for better or worse] and then went to China for an internship.

I love acupuncture but I think I will like midlevel anesthesia even more... especially the pay.

As for the basic science review, I got a couple of pages into the review in Barron's. Since I don't have three months to spend on the reviews, I think I am going to pick up EK's.

I have ordered the 1001 q's for chemistry, physics, and bio...they should arrive tomorrow...i have my orgo II final tomorrow then everything mcat...i plan on just reading the chapters in the books, do the questions, take some full lengths a couple times a week and roll with it to see what happens...i feel pretty confident about most things...the bio is going to be killer for me though...

oh my god i just got finished with the acs final for organic chemistry...that thing is very difficult...i feel like i just went ten rounds with mike tyson...but on to good news i get to study for another difficult test...MCAT

How is everyone else's studying coming along?

I am deeply frustrated lately. I study for about 1/2 an hour at a time... generally get in about 2 hours, sometimes 3, but I'm so freaking tired by the time my kid goes to bed.

I was talking to a resident about this yesterday, saying that I sometimes wonder how I'll manage in medical school when I'm struggling to prepare for this stupid test. He reminded me that I won't be working, and the schools do a lot of hand-holding.

Those of you who are working f/t, how are you doing it? Speed? Toxic levels of caffination?

S.

I think 30-45 minute blocks aren't too bad...it is long enough to get something out of it yet short enough that you don't daze off and fall asleep...as long as you are studying efficiently you should be fine...although i do speak from my non married, no child lifestyle...good luck

Woooo! Taking it on the 13th too... but I'm in deep doo-doo because I've been so busy with shadowing, working, and studying for classes that I haven't really started studying for the MCAT, but as soon as I get done finals it is going to be 12 hrs a day for 4 weeks... ahhhh...

Picking back up with studying today. Going to do 2-3 practice tests a week, starting with CBT3 today.

Took my first practice test, the AAMC practice test 3.

Wow, the 10+ years since OChem and physics really showed. Got 8's across the board, although admittedly, I did not use any scratch paper to write out formulas...and by the verbal part, I had a nice glass of Ommegang's Three Philosophers in my hand.

32 days and counting, going to try and put in 20 hours a week of focused prep, aiming for 12's.

How's the studying going? Has anyone started filling out AMCAS or the osteopathic version yet? I got off track on the studying for a couple days, but made up for it today...oddly enough it is starting to be kind of fun...

How's the studying going? Has anyone started filling out AMCAS or the osteopathic version yet? I got off track on the studying for a couple days, but made up for it today...oddly enough it is starting to be kind of fun...

I've started on both. My goal is to have them done by June 1, with all transcripts sent, etc.

Studying is going not great. I have some pretty intense fam issues that I've been dealing with all week. But it's starting to calm down, so I'm hoping I can get several hours in over the weekend. Everything is fun... except physics. Physics is now the subject that makes me want to give up and become a crack addict. :laugh:

ahh..im taking it on the 13th also!! my family and I are also going on a family vacation on that same day so that we could all spend time together b4 i leave across the country for grad schhol. that means i have to wake up, battle traffic and drive 2 hours to my testing center, then take off on a 5 hour trip to meet up with my family for vacation directly from the test center....gonna be a tiring day!

I've started on both. My goal is to have them done by June 1, with all transcripts sent, etc.

Studying is going not great. I have some pretty intense fam issues that I've been dealing with all week. But it's starting to calm down, so I'm hoping I can get several hours in over the weekend. Everything is fun... except physics. Physics is now the subject that makes me want to give up and become a crack addict. :laugh:

i am waiting until my MCAT scores to get the apps verified or whatever...
Biology is the subject that does me in...maybe we can team up on test day

i am waiting until my MCAT scores to get the apps verified or whatever...
Biology is the subject that does me in...maybe we can team up on test day

I am, too, but I want to make sure that every single aspect of my application is finished the day I hit the "submit" button. June is my goal because everyone at work is waiting somewhat impatiently for me to be done with the MCAT - as soon as that's over, I'll be back to 60 hour work weeks. :scared: No time to dick around with transcripts and whatnot.

Maybe we can team up now... biology is my "easy" science subject, and verbal is a total piece of cake for me. (Got a 13 the first time I took the MCAT.) Feel free to pm me.

S.

So I took my first FL today(AMCAS #7) I got a 29 (VR-14,BS-10, and PS-5) ya I know PS sucks I hate it, but I had no clue I was going to do that well in verbal or bs for that matter, I am happy and I still have half the EK material to do as well as the TBR stuff I just got for help with the PS part. any advice on how to get the PS up or just how to get my whole score up in general???

So I took my first FL today(AMCAS #7) I got a 29 (VR-14,BS-10, and PS-5) ya I know PS sucks I hate it, but I had no clue I was going to do that well in verbal or bs for that matter, I am happy and I still have half the EK material to do as well as the TBR stuff I just got for help with the PS part. any advice on how to get the PS up or just how to get my whole score up in general???
If you can keep your VR high, you're set. BS is very reading comp based, IMHO. So, VR and BS should go well with each other. The PS you should be able to get to at least a 9-10 even if you absolutely have a horrible time with PS, as long as you get enough practice in.

And, anyway, I'm officially joining your club on Friday the 13th! I was a May 27th taker, but some VR fluctuations (very big fluctuations in EK) spooked me a bit.

Took AMCAS #4 and got VR10 BS9 PS8. My review is slow going but I think I am starting to pick up steam.

It is embarrassing to look at a topic from OChem that confused me 10 years ago and go "oh, that's what they meant" after about 5 minutes of review.

25 days left.

It is embarrassing to look at a topic from OChem that confused me 10 years ago and go "oh, that's what they meant" after about 5 minutes of review.

25 days left.

:laugh: ... oh, ****. :scared:

I know what you mean, though. I wouldn't have to score so high on this freaking test if I had understood this stuff the first time around. Lots of head slapping going on around here.

S.

I took AAMC 4 yesterday. I'm concerned. I got a 24 with the following breakdown: PS: 7 VR: 10 BS: 7. I really thought I did better than that in BS. I figured I'd get at least a 9, but I guess not. PS has always been my weakness. I'm doing much better with the Gen Chem and Physics II. I just have to drill home some of the Physics I stuff and improve my Gen Chem reasoning. For Bio, it's the Organic that killed me. I got one entire Orgo passage wrong (five questions) and missed a couple of discretes. Any advice?

I took AAMC 4 yesterday. I'm concerned. I got a 24 with the following breakdown: PS: 7 VR: 10 BS: 7. I really thought I did better than that in BS. I figured I'd get at least a 9, but I guess not. PS has always been my weakness. I'm doing much better with the Gen Chem and Physics II. I just have to drill home some of the Physics I stuff and improve my Gen Chem reasoning. For Bio, it's the Organic that killed me. I got one entire Orgo passage wrong (five questions) and missed a couple of discretes. Any advice?

My advice would be to go over all of the content first and learn all the concepts that you're not too sure about. The only other advice is practice...it's easier said than done but I think that's the only way you get better at this. Also for the AAMC exams, I used to redo the sections a week or two later when I had forgotten the answers to see if I had actually learned the material. If anything its a confidence booster.

Good Luck everyone! I'll be joining you on the 13th as well.

The only thing that helps with the PS section (as everyone has mentioned) is practice...That is the only way that I learned it in the first place was doing a ton of problems until the concepts came to me...If you are trying to get more than physical science scores up though, you probably don't have time for a ton of problems so I would suggest looking at your breakdown on AAMC scores (each individual topic) and doing tons of problems in your weak areas...just my suggestion...me personally I am in the process reviewing all of it and hoping that it all comes back to me... good luck everyone