Fall 2012 Doctoral Applicants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Since Epi is not interviewing I am not sure what is going on. I am thinking about calling tomorrow. More waiting!

Members don't see this ad.

Has anyone heard from USC Columbia regarding their PhD Epi applications?

Has anyone heard from USC Columbia regarding their PhD Epi applications?

I didn't apply to the Epi department, but I was also wondering the same thing. There doesn't seem to be that many applicants to this school from searching on grad cafe.

Members don't see this ad :)
I didn't apply to the Epi department, but I was also wondering the same thing. There doesn't seem to be that many applicants to this school from searching on grad cafe.

If you're talking about USC Arnold School of Public Health, I emailed the HPEB dept. regarding my PhD application and they told me that decisions will be released on or after March 15th.

Thanks PopMart....March 15th seems so far off! The waiting game is really starting to get to me

Has anyone heard from JHSPH Department of International Health regarding their PhD applications for the GDEC program?

Yes, March 15 seems like an eternity away. I'm completely losing it...

I'm still waiting to hear back from UNC (I think I committed application suicide by bugging them too much *shame*) and I don't think I did very well on my SOP for USC Columbia (it is not as mature as I would like; I had to rush it to meet the deadline imposed by the fee waiver).

I already have my "how could I improve my application for next year" letters written and ready to go. Believe it or not, that actually made me feel slightly better because it gave me a sense of control over the situation.

Pop Mart you might still get in and we still have a couple weeks to open a letter and get accepted! I am waiting on Hopkins and UNC! lol Who have you been calling at UNC? The Epi representative? I think waiting is rough on all of us! Just keep staying in it!

I'm still waiting to hear back from UNC (I think I committed application suicide by bugging them too much *shame*) and I don't think I did very well on my SOP for USC Columbia (it is not as mature as I would like; I had to rush it to meet the deadline imposed by the fee waiver).

Don't be silly about bugging admin people. They don't get to weigh in on the admission decision.

Thanks Cambio & Stories! I bothered the department student services advisor and they said they would forward (bother) one of the faculty for me to find out where my application is in the process. Eek! I guess they wouldn't do that if they thought it would hurt me (unless they're really vindictive! LOL). I've avoided the faculty like the plague since submitting my application so this is scary!

lol! That was my worry with the faculty. I am thinking though because I have not talked to anyone recently that I would call tomorrow because it is Friday and see if there is an update! And hoping the answer is good!

DrPH admission offer from UT Houston via email

Still Waiting: Tulane

Rejected by UNC HPM for the PhD. Really thought I had a chance there due to my academic record and the fact that they admit a lot of students. Last one left is Emory but they accept hardly anyone so I'm assuming reject at this point. Damn, oh well. Anyone heard from them?

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
for me it's now to make a decision as I have heard from all the schools I applied to . . . .

GOOD LUCK to everyone still waiting to hear from schools.

Going to : ???????

Has anyone heard from JHSPH Department of International Health regarding their PhD applications for the GDEC program?
JHSPH International Health department released the decisions on applyonline website at the bottom of the page.

for me it's now to make a decision as I have heard from all the schools I applied to . . . .

GOOD LUCK to everyone still waiting to hear from schools."

good luck!! congrats on all the acceptances. Looks like you can't go wrong. :cool:

GOOD LUCK to everyone still waiting to hear from schools.

Going to : ???????

Congrats on your acceptances! May I ask, what are your stats and when did you submit your apps? I'm interested in similar programs at these schools.

JHSPH International Health department released the decisions on applyonline website at the bottom of the page.

No kidding!? I haven't seen any decision on the page of the applying website. Is this a good news or bad one? :scared:

No kidding!? I haven't seen any decision on the page of the applying website. Is this a good news or bad one? :scared:
Did you apply for MS or PhD? and what program under IH dept?

Under your application submitted, it should say something like this
"The Admissions Committee has reached a decision on your application. Please click the link below under Decision Status to view the decision (if there is no link - please contact Admissions at [email protected]). Sometimes the Committee makes a decision before your application is complete so please make sure that all documents under Application Status below are Received (Official) or Waived. If any documents are not complete - please send them to the Admissions Office as soon as possible."

For those who had applied to UCSF PhD Epidemiology & Translational Science, they will be sending out emails after March 5, 2012.

Did you apply for MS or PhD? and what program under IH dept?

Under your application submitted, it should say something like this
"The Admissions Committee has reached a decision on your application. Please click the link below under Decision Status to view the decision (if there is no link - please contact Admissions at [email protected]). Sometimes the Committee makes a decision before your application is complete so please make sure that all documents under Application Status below are Received (Official) or Waived. If any documents are not complete - please send them to the Admissions Office as soon as possible."

I applied for PhD of GDEC in IH. Haven't heard any information from the committee yet.

I applied for PhD of GDEC in IH. Haven't heard any information from the committee yet.

Same. Still says "Your application has been sent to the Admissions Committee for review. Please note that the length of review can vary a representative from the Department will contact you and notification will be posted on this page when a decision has been made."

Doesn't look good...

Congrats on your acceptances! May I ask, what are your stats and when did you submit your apps? I'm interested in similar programs at these schools.
Thanks werd814 . . . seems you got into some good schools too.

Thanks thereal19 . . . GRE- V580 Q670 W4.5 . . . TOEFL-111 . . .finishing MPH in May 2012. Worked as RA & TA in the course of the program. Apps submitted to SOPHAS mid December.

DrPh at jhsph got an email with the good news - soo lucky because I didnt apply anywhere else but their program really has exactly what I want so I wouldnt go elsewhere just for a degree...official letters will get sent Monday in case anyone else appled ( hpm department).

Just emailed Yale admissions and they said that decisions should be sent out this week!

Just emailed Yale admissions and they said that decisions should be sent out this week!

The suspense is killing me! DId they say how they were coming? Or give any other details?

The suspense is killing me! DId they say how they were coming? Or give any other details?

Nope! They just said that they will be "sent" out this week. i did not want to nag them too much so I did not question them as to how they would be sent. I guess we will find soon.

What program did you apply to? I applied to chronic disease epi PhD.

GOOD LUCK!

Nope! They just said that they will be "sent" out this week. i did not want to nag them too much so I did not question them as to how they would be sent. I guess we will find soon.

What program did you apply to? I applied to chronic disease epi PhD.

GOOD LUCK!

Yeah, I haven't wanted to nag either, but I really thought we'd hear by now. Wishful thinking I guess! I applied to the EMD PhD program, which I think is a really great match for what I want to do career-wise. However, this waiting game is no fun and keeps you from being able to make plans, which is getting real old.

Best of luck to you too!!!

Has any other heard from Berkeley Epi?

Has any other heard from Berkeley Epi?
I got this response from the SPH office today - "Admissions will try to send out most decisions within the first two weeks of March. However, we do ask applicants to give us until April."

Hey everyone,

I've been on this thread for a while now, and I was wondering if any of you have applied to Johns Hopkins Environmental Health Engineering PhD program? I've been pretty anxious about the results for this, seeing as how so many other decisions have come out. Good luck to you all in your own admissions!

Thanks!

Anyone heard from U Mich (HBHE), Tulane (GCHS) or Hopkins (HBS) yet? The wait is killing me.

Hi All,

I heard that BU Epidemiology PhD applicants will be notified by the end of this week. Who all is still waiting?

Good luck!!!

Anyone heard from U Mich (HBHE), Tulane (GCHS) or Hopkins (HBS) yet? The wait is killing me.

The wait for Hopkins HBS is driving me insane! The admissions coordinator told me last week I would receive a letter in the mail by this Friday...nothing yet, so hopefully only two more days!

UNC: In January I was told that most decisions would be in February. Last week I was told that the PhD admission committee had not yet "finalized their admission" (???) for my particular program.

Still no decision over here...

I do not know if anybody else has been notified; it seems that there are no other UNC Nutrition Epidemiology PhD applicants on SDN. If there are, will you please post?

I also don't see any actual results on the GradCafe page.

This is driving me crazy!

Someone on grad cafe posted about the program on Feb 7th

"No funding available per conversation with potential faculty advisor; formal rejection will be issued at a later date, I assume."

Someone on grad cafe posted about the program on Feb 7th

"No funding available per conversation with potential faculty advisor; formal rejection will be issued at a later date, I assume."

Thank you. I did see that. Unfortunately it doesn't say which division (Epi, Policy/Intervention, Biochem) or which faculty member.

I corresponded with faculty ahead of time to find out which ones had funding and were accepting students for 2012. One of the faculty I was interested in did not have adequate funding and told me this before I even applied, so I didn't list them on my application. Those I listed on my application had funding and are taking students!

Note to future applicants: do your homework and send a letter of intent before you apply! They will tell you right away if the faculty you're interested in are not taking students.

The post I saw (In the results section) specifically listed UNC Nutrition PhD.

The post I saw (In the results section) specifically listed UNC Nutrition PhD.

Sorry, I forgot to clarify: Nutrition has 3 divisions: Biochem, Epi, and Policy/Intervention. (They function independently but synergistically.)

Ohhh, I thought you meant overall departments, not divisions. Sorry!

Hi Epiqueen, so BU will notify only those who are accepted by the end of this week? Where did you hear this?

Hi Epiqueen, so BU will notify only those who are accepted by the end of this week? Where did you hear this?

Hi,

I called the admissions office and spoke to someone there. She notified me that they will start sending out decisions for the MS and PhD programs this week.

What program did you apply to?

Oh OK...thanks for the heads up. I applied to the epi program. All the best...I guess we'll know something soon!

Heads up to those waiting on Columbia SMS..

"All admitted applicants have been notified and all others will receive their letters in a couple weeks. The decision process is highly competitive. We had many qualified applicants for too few spaces. This year we received over 100 doctoral applications for not more than 6 slots across all disciplines. The number and quality of applications was exceptionally high, however we are unable admit and offer funding to all."

The wait for Hopkins HBS is driving me insane! The admissions coordinator told me last week I would receive a letter in the mail by this Friday...nothing yet, so hopefully only two more days!

I live in Maryland and I haven't received anything yet!

I live in Maryland and I haven't received anything yet!

Looking back at the email, it says ".You will receive the decision letter at the end of next week."

So I guess technically the week ends on Saturday? And it's possible the letter could be sent via email...this is driving me crazy!!!