Fall 2012 Doctoral Applicants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Is anyone else still waiting to hear from schools? It's after April 15 at this point.

Members don't see this ad.

Is anyone else still waiting to hear from schools? It's after April 15 at this point.

I am still waiting on one school. Honestly, I pretty much know my decision...but I'm waiting for the last school to confirm a decision before sending in a intent to enroll.

Which schools are in that balancing act, SB1234?

Members don't see this ad :)
Which schools are in that balancing act, SB1234?

UT. Although it's showing as admitted, I still haven't received any official e-mail/letter notification. So, I guess it's more of a post-admission process that I'm in....but I don't want to commit to the other school until I have the full "word" from each school I applied to.

UT. Although it's showing as admitted, I still haven't received any official e-mail/letter notification. So, I guess it's more of a post-admission process that I'm in....but I don't want to commit to the other school until I have the full "word" from each school I applied to.
UTH just accepted me and informed me of scholarship this past week (officially through a personalized e-mail and through the website), but they sent me a generic e-mail of acceptance waayyy back in the first week of March (wasn't personalized, didn't even say what program- just to the school of public health) so I wasn't 100% convinced that it wasn't an error especially b/c they made an error in February and told me they were missing my GREs even though I submitted through SOPHAS. Their disorganization plus the fact that I had no information until after April 15, about scholarship, in state tuition, who my advisor was etc... really turned me off to the school.

Also Tulane just e-mailed me today to say I didn't get in. Kind of late, considering they had a phone interview with me the first week of Feb. Thankfully I was able to find out unofficially through a faculty member before April 15th- but I think its kind of ridiculous that they waited this long.

I guess the stereotypes about the South can be true sometimes :)

Rejected off waitlist today. Just as well, the waiting was terrible. Now I can move on and get a real job that pays more than grad school :)

lens17723000_1299692832Duh_Winning_Charlie_Sheen.jpg

Rejected off waitlist today. Just as well, the waiting was terrible. Now I can move on and get a real job that pays more than grad school :)

lens17723000_1299692832Duh_Winning_Charlie_Sheen.jpg

Trust me, the joke's on us. Your 4th+ year of living on <$30k/yr while working 60hr+/wk is really draining.

I got accepted from UT, but I am not taking that offer. I have done my MPH from UT and it wasn't a great experience, so I will apply again for Fall 2013.

Epiqueen- still waiting on USC Columbia too...I received my official rejection from UNC so I'm also waiting on UMD. From what I can tell, UMD has already interviewed folks, but they have been doing this on a rolling basis. Thanks for the words of encouragement!

MPHandPsych - I am waiting on UNC. Application was complete as of 3/12. How did you hear about your reject from them? Good luck!

Just discovered this interesting thread. Many guys here are more into PhD Epidemiology. What of PhD Public Health? Are these two not synonymous in scope, practice, and remuneration? For e.g., universities of Leeds and Lancaster both have PhD Public Health quite different from PhD Epidemiology and Biostatistics. Birmingham University has both Public Health, Epidemiology and Biostatistics in one department. (These are all UK institutions). What then are the differences, if any, between PhD Public Health and PhD Epidemiology/Biostatistics? Just wondering.....!

Just discovered this interesting thread. Many guys here are more into PhD Epidemiology. What of PhD Public Health? Are these two not synonymous in scope, practice, and remuneration? For e.g., universities of Leeds and Lancaster both have PhD Public Health quite different from PhD Epidemiology and Biostatistics. Birmingham University has both Public Health, Epidemiology and Biostatistics in one department. (These are all UK institutions). What then are the differences, if any, between PhD Public Health and PhD Epidemiology/Biostatistics? Just wondering.....!

Generally, in the US, Epidemiology or Biostatistics are housed within Schools of Public Health or Schools of Medicine as those two disciplines are public health disciplines.

Think of public health as the umbrella for the other specific disciplines.