Fall 2012 Doctoral Applicants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Abelink- Not sure if you are waiting on Emory but they already send out their BSHE PhD interview invites weeks ago, and the interviews took place last week. Accepted students will be from that interview pool.

Members don't see this ad.

Has anyone lurking heard from/waiting on Hopkins Mental Health?

I know of someone who received an acceptance via snail mail. At this point I am expecting a rejection, though I would be totally excited by a wait list.

Anyone else?

Isn't it just terrible to wait around for acceptances/rejections? I have a fear of the unknown.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hopkins Epi said decisions withing the next two weeks! I hear ya on all the waiting! GOOD LUCK guys!!!

I called the office and they said applications were currently under review and decisions would be sent out at the end of the month, and posted to the application page when you login.

I didn't apply to Emory, or anywhere else (can't leave Baltimore for certain reasons).

Hopkins Epi has started calling accepted applicants. A friend got a call yesterday.

Has anyone heard back from UT-Houston, Tulane, and Columbia for Epi PhD? How about GWU for Global Health DrPH?

Has anyone heard back from UT-Houston, Tulane, and Columbia for Epi PhD? How about GWU for Global Health DrPH?

Nothing from UT Houston, though their deadline was e-submit by 2/1 on SOPHAS, which means it could even be 2 more weeks until they have all of their apps.

I talked to Tulane, they are in the decision phase, which they said will take a few more weeks and they hope to complete by March. They said decisions will be mailed in March/April... don't wanna wait that long! ;)

I don't know anyone that applied to Columbia epi- sorry!

Applied to Epi PhD and just received a rejection today. The email suggested that I apply to their epi MHS or MSci program. Anybody else in the same boat?

Nothing from UT Houston, though their deadline was e-submit by 2/1 on SOPHAS, which means it could even be 2 more weeks until they have all of their apps.

I talked to Tulane, they are in the decision phase, which they said will take a few more weeks and they hope to complete by March. They said decisions will be mailed in March/April... don't wanna wait that long! ;)

I don't know anyone that applied to Columbia epi- sorry!

Thanks so much for the information!

For UT-Houston, did you have to submit separate materials in addition to SOPHAS? I keep emailing them for clarification and no one responds.

For Tulane, I received an email last week saying a decision has been made about my admissions status and l would receive a letter in the mail in 10 days (why 10 I'm not sure). So I'm gonna go with a no on that one.....I'm out of town on an interview so haven't been able to check to see if I got the letter yet.

Forgot to add I received the official rejection email from Emory- wasn't a surprise since I didn't get invited for an interview.

Last edited:
HospitalWork, sorry to hear that. Do you have any other apps out? I wouldn't take a declined admission from JHU too harshly-- they're pretty tough to get into. Chin up!

Members don't see this ad :)
Applied to Epi PhD and just received a rejection today. The email suggested that I apply to their epi MHS or MSci program. Anybody else in the same boat?

If you have a very strong desire or reason to pick Hopkins specifically, that actually wouldn't be a terrible plan. The coursework you take in your MSPH/ScM will count towards your PhD coursework, and you can always pick the ScM advisor you want to work with, start a project with them, and then use that as the foundation for your future PhD thesis. If done correctly, you'll lose virtually no time or money.

Of course, if you get into the PhD program in a different school (especially with funding), that may be your better option.

If you have a very strong desire or reason to pick Hopkins specifically, that actually wouldn't be a terrible plan. The coursework you take in your MSPH/ScM will count towards your PhD coursework, and you can always pick the ScM advisor you want to work with, start a project with them, and then use that as the foundation for your future PhD thesis. If done correctly, you'll lose virtually no time or money.

Of course, if you get into the PhD program in a different school (especially with funding), that may be your better option.

Thanks for the advice - I've been learning a bit about various MS programs and it does have its benefits. I applied to only a few schools and this was the first that I've heard from, so I'm trying to get a sense as to whether "consider our ScM" email is a generic rejection or if its a positive sign. What have others experience been?

What a process! Best of luck to everybody

Ah, sorry for my unhelpful post earlier-- the part about an MSci was totally lost on me.

I just had this happen to me with a prof here at Yale Forestry-- I would take it as a compliment more than anything else. The way I see it, they have little reason to offer you a master's position if they don't sincerely appreciate something that they think you'd bring to the program; they may not have been able to offer you a doctoral position because either you were outcompeted by others' pure numbers (or some other aspect of the app) or because they are unsure if they want to gamble on you just yet (again, maybe they didn't like something specific about your app), but certainly they like something enough about you to give you a trial run, so to speak, with the masters program.

That's what happened to me-- I meshed super well with my POI, but the admissions committee only gave them one doctoral student, and another applicant in some way or another outcompeted me. So, she did the only thing she could do to try and snag somebody she wanted: she offered me a masters degree.

I'm not really sure how it works at JHSPH, but if it's anything like Yale, I'd take it as a complement for sure. And like MolBio wrote, if a strong reason to pursue studies at JHSPH compels you to attend, and you end up crushing your masters, they may keep you on for a doctoral degree. Though certainly nothing is definite.

Last edited:
I'm in the same boat, Hospitalwork.

After the formal interview, I received an email and a phone call from the professor at JHU Epi. She said there are only 20 spots for new doctoral students and more than 200 applicants this year. Also these 20 are chosen regardless of their concentration area. So even if you are a top ranked applicant in your concentration, you have to make it to the top 20 in the whole Epi department(this was my case and I obviously didn't). She asked me if I were willing to come as a MHS student and continue into PhD - she also mentioned that I wouldn't lose any time and it's always possible to do your research with almost any faculty you like.

I've been admitted to a PhD program in another school with possible full funding so I'm not considering it as an option. But provided that you succeed in your masters, it could be another option as all the others have said. (Nothing is guaranteed though.)

I am wondering if you can tell me about the interview process at JHU? Do they contact all applicants for interviews? Do you know if they have already been contacted? If you have not yet been contacted does that mean you are probably not getting in?
Thanks for anything you may now :)
Waiting is no fun lol

For UT-Houston, did you have to submit separate materials in addition to SOPHAS? I keep emailing them for clarification and no one responds.

Nothing else was needed for PhD Epi besides SOPHAS application. I am not sure about other departments though. Hope this helps.

Good Luck!

I am wondering if you can tell me about the interview process at JHU? Do they contact all applicants for interviews? Do you know if they have already been contacted? If you have not yet been contacted does that mean you are probably not getting in?
Thanks for anything you may now :)
Waiting is no fun lol

Which department(s)? HBS at JHSPH does not do interviews, but other departments do...

See my post above RE: JHU Epi. My friend got in last week (accepted via phone call), but had not interviewed.

did anybody get an interview for brown epi?

did anybody get an interview for brown epi?

Hey jlive. My flatmate did. Not sure if it was all Epi or just Chronic Disease Epi, but his interviews were on Sunday and Monday last week.

Thanks! I guess it is still too early to really know much then if they just started calling.

Anyone feel like playing a guessing game with me so I am not alone in driving myself crazy?

How often do you think that when they (they being a rep from the school) says ".the committee is still reviewing applications and a decision has not been made on your application yet" it actually means just that. I have a classmate who has been accepted to this program but have heard of no waitlists/rejections (yet). In my head I would like to think they sent their top choices acceptances and have a "maybe" and "no"pile. I also like to pretend I am still in the running in that maybe pile pending those who accept the initial offers. Or they may just be taking a small number and those who accepted the initials offers are in and the rest of us are just being processed for rejection.

Anyone want to humor me with thoughts on this?

Ha ha ha!

I have thought of many of those ideas wondefring why it takes so long. I know they have so many applicants, but man the waiting is rough. I was wondeirng if they look up your name and see it on the screen and can still say we are reviewing you. lol. Just tell me!!! I also wonder if they can tell how many times a day you log in to check your app. at least they cannot tell how many times we check SDN

Last edited:
I called USC Columbia and they said that they will start to notify EPI PhD applicants in the next week or so.

Good luck everyone!
I really hope it's good news for me.

Update:

My flatmate received word by email of his acceptance into the Genetic Epi program at Johns Hopkins today, and I got a phone call from my PoI at Berkeley (EHS) with some good news.

:laugh:

Got my official rejection letter from Tulane yesterday in the mail...4 more schools to go!:xf:

Hopkins PopFam interviewed last week and will send letters next week. I don't know about other Hopkins departments.

For anyone applying to Univ of Maryland- they have already started contacting people now for interviews.

Anyone feel like playing a guessing game with me so I am not alone in driving myself crazy?

How often do you think that when they (they being a rep from the school) says ".the committee is still reviewing applications and a decision has not been made on your application yet" it actually means just that. I have a classmate who has been accepted to this program but have heard of no waitlists/rejections (yet). In my head I would like to think they sent their top choices acceptances and have a "maybe" and "no"pile. I also like to pretend I am still in the running in that maybe pile pending those who accept the initial offers. Or they may just be taking a small number and those who accepted the initials offers are in and the rest of us are just being processed for rejection.

Anyone want to humor me with thoughts on this?
I try to not think about it too hard because I think the only way for me to not be totally overwhelmed by this process is by preparing for the worst and hoping for the best. I am wondering about this about UNC though, because I haven't gotten an acceptance or rejection and I think they have sent out both.

Also congrats WantAnMph! Do you think you are going to go to Emory or UNC?

Epi I am as well wondering about UNC.

I have read on various websites that people e-mail the Admissions Coordinator for an update?
What exactly does that entail? What do you write as the reason for e-mailing?
Is that even a good idea?

@JMM051 - From what mentor tells me this is pretty much the case except that there are a few more categories. So you have the definite yes, definite no, maybe yes and maybe no. The definites tend to hear right away and the maybes are in triage as the situation with the definite yes folks takes shape.

Depending on how many of the definite yes folks accept their offers more or less of the maybe yes move into the definite yes/maybe no group. The maybe nos will turn into definite nos unless something happens and all their top people get scooped by other schools defer or whatever. The schools with rolling admissions/late deadlines tend to take this approach. The schools with early deadlines tend to wait until after the deadline and make all decisions/notifications at the same time.

Part of what makes this process so challenging is the fact that the schools are all on different deadlines regarding making their decisions. It would be nice if all schools contacted their definites in Jan and then all of their maybes in Feb. That way you know how you are viewed by each school and everyone is able to make their decisions a timely fashion and you don't have people waiting until April to find out whether they are waitlisted or rejected.

@Cambio (Love your name BTW) - I would suggest contacting the ad coordinator for the department you are applying and ask if a decision has been made and if not what is the timeline for a decision on your application. As long as you haven't been pestering said coordinator and e-mailing them constantly during the application season (my guess is you haven't) they will probably respond to your request.

In my situation, I submitted my application in Nov and I had yet to hear from UNC. I e-mailed the coordinator and let her know that I had other offers and that I would like to know the status of my application so that I could move forward in my decision making process. She got back to me the same day and let me know my status. I received the official letter via e-mail a week later. All the other schools I contacted could not give me a decision but offered timelines regarding when they expected a decision.

@JMM051 - From what mentor tells me this is pretty much the case except that there are a few more categories. So you have the definite yes, definite no, maybe yes and maybe no. The definites tend to hear right away and the maybes are in triage as the situation with the definite yes folks takes shape.

Depending on how many of the definite yes folks accept their offers more or less of the maybe yes move into the definite yes/maybe no group. The maybe nos will turn into definite nos unless something happens and all their top people get scooped by other schools defer or whatever. The schools with rolling admissions/late deadlines tend to take this approach. The schools with early deadlines tend to wait until after the deadline and make all decisions/notifications at the same time.

Part of what makes this process so challenging is the fact that the schools are all on different deadlines regarding making their decisions. It would be nice if all schools contacted their definites in Jan and then all of their maybes in Feb. That way you know how you are viewed by each school and everyone is able to make their decisions a timely fashion and you don't have people waiting until April to find out whether they are waitlisted or rejected.

@Cambio (Love your name BTW) - I would suggest contacting the ad coordinator for the department you are applying and ask if a decision has been made and if not what is the timeline for a decision on your application. As long as you haven't been pestering said coordinator and e-mailing them constantly during the application season (my guess is you haven't) they will probably respond to your request.

In my situation, I submitted my application in Nov and I had yet to hear from UNC. I e-mailed the coordinator and let her know that I had other offers and that I would like to know the status of my application so that I could move forward in my decision making process. She got back to me the same day and let me know my status. I received the official letter via e-mail a week later. All the other schools I contacted could not give me a decision but offered timelines regarding when they expected a decision.

Thanks DeeLovely! Did you e-mail Carmen at UNC? And did Hopkins say the next two weeks? I have a situation that requires a decision soon and I am hoping really just to see if I am in the mix or not.

Admitted to Emory epi yesterday!

Admitted: UW, UNC, Emory
Rejected:
Awaiting response: Yale, Hopkins, Columbia, Harvard

I e-mailed the coordinator and let her know that I had other offers and that I would like to know the status of my application so that I could move forward in my decision making process.

How did you word that exactly? If I get in that situation I would want to ask the other schools I haven't heard from without sounding pushy. (I'm asking because my previous experience in PhD applications was in psychology....which seems to be much more structured on how you handle multiple offers and contacting schools.)

Also fyi- Contacted UNC, and I was basically told that if you haven't heard from them regarding a phone interview/in person interview then you're most likely not getting in as they're wrapping up all of the interviews. I applied to the MCH department, but I got the impression this was across the board for doctoral applicants.

Last edited:
Hopkins Epidemiology has made all of their first round decisions. If you have not yet heard it is waitlist or nothing. Good Luck!!!

@Cambio - I contacted Paige as I already had contact with her prior to get more information about the program before making my decision to apply.

@MPHandPsych - Here is the e-mail I used to contact programs where I have outstanding applications:

"Hi ----, I hope this e-mail finds you well. I'm not sure if you are the correct person to direct this to but if not I apologize in advance. I am inquiring about the status of my application to the ---- program. Has the department/doctoral committee reached a decision concerning my application? I have received a couple of offers and it would help to know where I am in the process. Thanks in advance."

@Cambio, Thanks for the info! Was really wondering about this.

Unfortunately I called :( lol I guess waitlist is not that bad except its Hopkins and that means most people are probably going to accept

Has anyone heard from Berkeley Health Services & Policy Analysis? I know that they do some phone interviews, but my impression this was only if they weren't sure about your application. I don't know if these have happened yet or no.

Has anyone heard from Berkeley Health Services & Policy Analysis? I know that they do some phone interviews, but my impression this was only if they weren't sure about your application. I don't know if these have happened yet or no.

Someone posted on gradcafe today that they were accepted to that program...