Fall 2012 Doctoral Applicants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Unfortunately I called :( lol I guess waitlist is not that bad except its Hopkins and that means most people are probably going to accept

When you log into the jhsph application? The site says they post decisions there...anybody know how timely they are?

Members don't see this ad.

has BU sent out interviews/offers yet?

When you log into the jhsph application? The site says they post decisions there...anybody know how timely they are?

Mine still says the Admissions Comittee is making a decision. I don't think there is a waitlist option that they post to the website as in they would probably want to see who accepts out of the people they accepted. If you have not heard then you can figure waitlist is most likely and I have no idea how long or short thay maybe. Honestly, it was not my first choice so I'm not really that upset.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Same on my status. It still says "making a decision," but I got an email from admissions last night.

Same on my status. It still says "making a decision," but I got an email from admissions last night.

Congratulations, werd814!!!
I heard Hopkins does not always fully fund Epi PhD students and I am not sure. How about your situation?

Well I'll keep my fingers crossed and hope for good news soon - I did email the HPM dept today about DrPH apps and was told that decision making had been delayed several weeks due to scheduling problems, so they are now hoping to get the decisions out by the end of the month instead. Hope that means I still have a shot!

Congratulations, werd814!!!
I heard Hopkins does not always fully fund Epi PhD students and I am not sure. How about your situation?

Thanks weiweitian! So far, they're just offering a 50% tuition waiver for 5 years, but it looks like it's pretty normal to get on somebody's research grant, a training grant, etc.

Good luck abelink! :zip:

So I've finally got some good news. I've been accepted by the DrPH programs at Pitt (Behavioral and Community Health Sciences) and U South Carolina @ Columbia (Health Promotion Education and Behavior). I think that I was notified so early because I am being considered for fellowships. One of the doctoral students at Pitt told me that they usually have applicant interviews in March so if you are applying to BCHS sit tight, you'll probably hear something soon.

Were you interviewed for the U South Carolina program?

Were you interviewed for the U South Carolina program?

I was told during the SOPHAS virtual fair that they do not do interviews; they base their decisions off paper only. I was inquiring about the HPEB PhD. I don't know if the DrPH is different.

I am starting to figure it is getting late to be accepted even with a new UNC acceptance on grad cafe today. Have any of you been through the waitlist process with a school or have any idea of how/when you know? Does your status on the website change to waitlisted or do they just keep processing until they decide one way?
Good luck guys! Congrats to everyone accepted and let's keep hoping to everyone else!

@MPHandPsych

I did not interview with USC @ Columbia, the department admin told me that HBHE does not conduct interviews. However I did initiate phone calls with several of the faculty members prior to submitting my application and so I'm sure that played a role. I submitted all my apps early Nov and SOPHAS sent them out right before Thanksgiving. I think the fact that my application was submitted so early and that there is a felllowship I am eligible is why I was notified so early. I'm going to visit next week so I'll have some more information about the school and department when I come back.

@DeeLovely & Popmart

Thanks!

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
FYI, those who applied to UNC Epi and are still waiting- I randomly checked the website today and there was a decision posted but I never got an e-mail. It was pretty disappointing to be rejected. I was so excited during the interview phase, but now as the rejections are rolling in I'm starting to get nervous that I won't have many options. Trying to stay optimistic though.

Admitted to Harvard Epi this afternoon via email.

Can anyone give me some suggestions as how should I go about applying for a PhD in Epidemiology? Did all of you contact any faculty at the universities that you had applied? If a faculty member approves of you, does this make admission into a doctoral degree program easier?

I am rather confused. I have a strong research background of over 3 years, publications, MPH Epidemiology with a 4.0 GPA... But none of the universities is liking me so far! :(

Can anyone give me some suggestions as how should I go about applying for a PhD in Epidemiology? Did all of you contact any faculty at the universities that you had applied? If a faculty member approves of you, does this make admission into a doctoral degree program easier?

I am rather confused. I have a strong research background of over 3 years, publications, MPH Epidemiology with a 4.0 GPA... But none of the universities is liking me so far! :(

I applied in December 2011 to most of my schools. I spent a lot of Aug/Sept/Oct contacting faculty to see if I might share interests with them (or knew of faculty that did), if they might be taking on students, and if I could talk to their current or other PhD students in the program.

I think Epi/Public health PhD programs depend more on faculty that match your interests and could potentially help you to where you see yourself.

I applied in December 2011 to most of my schools. I spent a lot of Aug/Sept/Oct contacting faculty to see if I might share interests with them (or knew of faculty that did), if they might be taking on students, and if I could talk to their current or other PhD students in the program.

I think Epi/Public health PhD programs depend more on faculty that match your interests and could potentially help you to where you see yourself.

Fit is definitely a big factor. The other huge factor is being able to demonstrate command and understanding of the field to which you're applying. The SoP should be used for this purpose.

Does anyone know if Yale epi started sending out acceptances to those who interviewed yet?

Congratulations! :)
Did you get financial aid?

No words yet. It says on the website "All students notified of acceptance to the Harvard School of Public Health should expect to receive an e-mail communication from Student Financial Services by the following Tuesday."

I haven't heard anything. Were you at the interview last Monday? At the interview they said they will start making their decisions "next Wednesday" (I'm guessing that meant 2/22) and from there we should expect to hear anywhere from a few days to 2 weeks later.... so I think people will start hearing in a week or so.

I haven't heard anything. Were you at the interview last Monday? At the interview they said they will start making their decisions "next Wednesday" (I'm guessing that meant 2/22) and from there we should expect to hear anywhere from a few days to 2 weeks later.... so I think people will start hearing in a week or so.

Are you referring to The HPM PhD program? Or epi?

Haven't been interviewed or received any communication so that can't be good if you are talking about HPM PhD.

Last edited:
Does anyone know if Yale epi started sending out acceptances to those who interviewed yet?

Hey JMM, no word yet to any of the interviewees I know. Good luck!:xf:

Sorry I was referring to JMM's post about Yale

Fit is definitely a big factor. The other huge factor is being able to demonstrate command and understanding of the field to which you're applying. The SoP should be used for this purpose.
Thanks.. also, being an international student may not necessarily help as far as funding opportunities are concerned.

Has anyone applied to and heard from UCSF?

Did anyone apply to DrPH programs at Harvard or UT Houston? Any news from either?

Did anyone apply to DrPH programs at Harvard or UT Houston? Any news from either?
I have applied to DPH in Epi (ID) at Harvard and haven't heard anything yet.

About UT, we will probably hear from them in mid March as their non-scholarship application deadlines have not been reached.

Accepted to Pittsburgh Epi yesterday via email. Official letter to follow.

I have a random question for you guys, just to get some feedback on your thoughts. For doctoral applicants (PhD or DrPH), do you think that public health departments would be less likely to offer to admission to two applicants that had the same research interests (and just admit one of the applicants instead)? Since matching research interests with potential faculty advisers is so important at this level do you think schools would be hesitant against potentially bringing two people with the exact same interests into the same cohort (especially if the department is on the smaller side)?

I think it really depends on the program. I have friends that were accepted to epi PhD programs along with others that share almost the same interests. It also depends on the potential advisor; some have enough money from grants to take on two new students.

Hmmm..I still haven't heard back from JHSPH (DrPH in Management & Leadership)- has anyone else? When I contact them (twice so far, last week most recently) I am told the process has been delayed and decisions will be out at the end of this month. Has anyone received yes/no replies?

FYI Hopkins HBS applicants!

Emailed admissions committee chair about application status (another program wants a deposit in 2 weeks!) and was told ".You will receive the decision letter at the end of next week.".

I have been invited to interview to (CSPH)!

I have to say, I really prefer outright acceptances to this interview nonsense.

Does anyone else feel that whenever they think they did terrible, they did great and whenever they think they answered well, it didn't go as well as they thought?

I have to say, I really prefer outright acceptances to this interview nonsense.

Does anyone else feel that whenever they think they did terrible, they did great and whenever they think they answered well, it didn't go as well as they thought?
I personally like interviews. I would rather give interviews than spending months writing a statement of purpose to fit a certain word limit.

Also, interviews give us opportunities to officially visit schools, meet students and potential supervisors. Not that I have a single acceptance or interview this year, but just saying that I would love to interview... I think ivs are fun :D

I should have specified phone interviews. :)

Harvard DPH rejection via email

Still Waiting: Tulane, UT Houston

I feel you on that one...during one of my interviews I had to present one of my projects which I thought had went oh so wrong because I was nervous and forgot to mention a few things, but after talking with one of the professors she said I did quite well! During this waiting period though, it's so easy to over obsess about what you did or didn't do during an interview, which can quite literally drive you cra cra. Good news is it will all be over soon haha...

Does anyone know how harvard is releasing their acceptances/rejections? It seems kind of random. I know they usually release info on fridays but I was surprised to see rejections go out midweek. Anyone have any thoughts? I applied to the Nero/Psych Epi SD program. Waiting is making me anxious!

Does anyone know how harvard is releasing their acceptances/rejections? It seems kind of random. I know they usually release info on fridays but I was surprised to see rejections go out midweek. Anyone have any thoughts? I applied to the Nero/Psych Epi SD program. Waiting is making me anxious!

Just based on past years, I think it is accepted on Fridays, rejected on Wednesdays. But don't quote me on that. Admission routines change from year to year.

They go out according to when the CAD approves them. Masters information usually goes out on Fridays, but doctoral candidates are informed by department (depending on when the department gets it in) regardless of day of the week. For example, EH was released last Friday. SHDH was released yesterday. Etc.

They expect to release every department by March 1st, but it is largely contingent on departments–some were very late in turning in their recommendations for admission.

I have been invited to interview to (CSPH)!

I have been invited to interview as well! What program did you apply to and when is your interview? I applied to the DrPH Epi track.

Good luck!

Anyone waiting still on UNC? Any updates?

Anyone waiting still on UNC? Any updates?

Haven't officially heard from them, but I did contact them and I was told that they were pretty much done with the interview process and decisions would be out soon. This was for the MCH department...