Fall 2012 Doctoral Applicants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I just got an email from Yale telling me to check the applyyourself website; that's where the decision is posted.

Members don't see this ad.

Don't leave us hanging! What did the email from Yale say?

FYI, I just got done with a day of interviews at my school of choice. I felt like it went very well, and I put my best foot forward. I've done all I can for my application this cycle, and will just have to wait now and see. Opinions on post-interview thank you email?

Don't leave us hanging! What did the email from Yale say?

FYI, I just got done with a day of interviews at my school of choice. I felt like it went very well, and I put my best foot forward. I've done all I can for my application this cycle, and will just have to wait now and see. Opinions on post-interview thank you email?
Congrats! That post-interview feeling is such a relief! Especially if you know it went well. You have a much more sane outlook on this whole thing than most of us do. Jealous. :)

Regarding thank yous, I recently had a long debate with my friends and family members. In the end I think hand-written thank yous trump email, unless the adcom will make a decision tonight. Even if they do, it is a nice gesture and you probably shouldn't send a thank you email while walking out the door of a prof's office. Just my thoughts tho, I'm sure others will say email is a-okay. Short and sweet is key, and of course mention specifics you talked about or anything you forgot to mention.

Best of luck!!!!!

Members don't see this ad :)
No decision posted for me for Yale EMD. On grad cafe I see a bunch of rejections & acceptances.... I really hope they let me know soon.

No decision posted for me for Yale EMD. On grad cafe I see a bunch of rejections & acceptances.... I really hope they let me know soon.

Me too; not a yes or a no. Tomorrow perhaps. I wonder about waitlists (I haven't seen any for this program)...

What's up with UCLA asking for additional transcripts? They say they're forwarding my application to the graduate school for approval. Does anyone have any idea if the graduate school ever rejects the sph's recommendation to admit?

Don't quote me on this, but if the department has recommended you for admission and forwarded your materials to the graduate school, then barring any forgeries in your application the rest is formalities leading to your induction...

epiqueen, did you hear from BU yet?

Nope. Haven't heard anything from BU. Let me know when you hear from them.

Don't quote me on this, but if the department has recommended you for admission and forwarded your materials to the graduate school, then barring any forgeries in your application the rest is formalities leading to your induction...
Thanks, and I hope you're right. Glaring weaknesses, yes; forgeries, no.

According to my experience, offers are usually sent on Wed but rejections are usually sent on Fri. Waiting for Hopkins drives me crazy! Hope I can survive after today!

Any one knows if Hopkins Epi has sent 2nd round admissions, or rejections?

According to my experience, offers are usually sent on Wed but rejections are usually sent on Fri. Waiting for Hopkins drives me crazy! Hope I can survive after today!

Any one knows if Hopkins Epi has sent 2nd round admissions, or rejections?

Waiting for Hopkins is driving me crazy too! HBS said I would receive a decision letter by the end of this week...

Members don't see this ad :)
I haven't heard from Brown...I heard they may send out notifications in 2 weeks or so...

Waiting for Hopkins is driving me crazy too! HBS said I would receive a decision letter by the end of this week...

Nothing yet! I e-mailed the ad coord at the begining of Feb and she said that decisions would go out at the end of Febraury. It's officially March and nothing so far. If I don't get anything by Monday I'm sending another e-mail.

Last edited:
Me too; not a yes or a no. Tomorrow perhaps. I wonder about waitlists (I haven't seen any for this program)...

Still haven't heard today, what about you? What track did you apply to?

For anyone still waiting to hear from HSPH programs, I sent an email to them today. See response below.

"Some decisions have been released, but we are releasing them as they come back from the department.You should hear a decision within the next week. Thank you for your patience!"

has anyone heard from Brown?

I haven't heard from Brown either. I submitted sometime in November. I emailed at the beginning of this week asking when I'd hear.

An adm. rep wrote back that my application hasn't even been looked at yet :eek: and they should schedule a meeting either this week or next..........

Which actually doesn't answer my question about when I'd hear.. I'm guessing now the end of March. Hopefully sooner! :)

Still haven't heard today, what about you? What track did you apply to?

EMD. and still nothing today, which is kind of strange. It sounded to me like they basically had everything ready to go and the Graduate School just needed to sign off. I don't know what to think anymore! Number one choice for sure, so this wait is rough. No news is better than a rejection, I guess...

EMD. and still nothing today, which is kind of strange. It sounded to me like they basically had everything ready to go and the Graduate School just needed to sign off. I don't know what to think anymore! Number one choice for sure, so this wait is rough. No news is better than a rejection, I guess...

I'll be crossing my fingers for both of us. The wait can't be that much longer. Will post as soon as I hear news, good or bad.

I saw on grad cafe that someone was accepted to the PhD Epidemiology program at USC Columbia. Has anyone else heard back from them? I am still patiently waiting on them and a few others- UIC, TULANE, SLU, CSPH (Interviewed), and LLU.

Hopefully start hearing back soon!

I saw on grad cafe that someone was accepted to the PhD Epidemiology program at USC Columbia. Has anyone else heard back from them? I am still patiently waiting on them and a few others- UIC, TULANE, SLU, CSPH (Interviewed), and LLU.

Hopefully start hearing back soon!

Tulane epi dept told me they will finish making decisions in March, and that applicants should hear back March/April. I'm pretty sure they notify by postal service.

fyi - i contacted UNC epi and they said they hope to finalize decisions this week so if you haven't heard you should hear by the end of the week

Tulane epi dept told me they will finish making decisions in March, and that applicants should hear back March/April. I'm pretty sure they notify by postal service.

I was notified by email from Tulane saying that a letter would be mailed about my admissions decision. So I would look out for an email first from them. Received the letter about a week after I received the email (but I don't check my mailbox every day so I think it got to me sooner than that). I'm still waiting from USC Columbia too (different department)...looks like some people have heard from them when I searched on grad cafe though.

All the waiting from the rest of the schools is making me feel like this:
:boom:

Anyone on here apply to SLU Epidemiology PhD? If so, have you heard back from anyone? I am having a very hard time contacting the admissions office there. No one picks up or returns emails!

Is anyone else waiting to hear from Tulane about their Tropical Med and Parasit PhD? I had a brief phone interview Friday, and was asked to set up a visit today. Does anyone know if this is a good sign? I think it is . ..

Is anyone else waiting to hear from Tulane about their Tropical Med and Parasit PhD? I had a brief phone interview Friday, and was asked to set up a visit today. Does anyone know if this is a good sign? I think it is . ..
Probably. Did you get the sense that the main purpose of your brief Interview was for them to assess how serious you were about the school?

Also- JSnow, I heard from Yale EMD today, so you should prob hear soon!

Yes. Just basically why Tulane, about my masters thesis, and if I have applied anywhere else. They just said visit, but am I right in assuming this is an interview?

Yes. Just basically why Tulane, about my masters thesis, and if I have applied anywhere else. They just said visit, but am I right in assuming this is an interview?

I had the same "interview" about a month ago with them for PhD epi. I think they are trying to gauge your seriousness about the program. I'm not sure if the visit would be a formal interview.

As for Yale, I got in !!

Rejection from UNC Nutrition Epi PhD. Totally confused. I'm an in state applicant with a 3.8 GPA for MS in Human Nutrition, 3.66 GPA for BS in Nutrition, TONS of extracurriculars and a student of the year award, a master's thesis with original research, AND they invited me to interviews last year with the regular applicants even though I said I wouldn't apply until this year. My GRE scores weren't terrible but they weren't impressive either (1240 = total of two highest scores over 3 attempts at the test).

WTH?!

So...now I only wait to hear back from USC Columbia which is the HPEB program which is likely way more competitive.

I totally screwed myself by applying to only two programs? I totally screwed myself by being a mediocre test taker? I'm so totally confused. I've already sent out my "what can I do better for next year?" message but that doesn't make me feel much better.

gtg vomit brb

Edit/Update:
Wow, they already wrote back! They needed people with more solid research experience / epi experience, and my GRE scores were not at all competitive (think 1400!). Still...I wish they would have been more blunt with me earlier in the application process (an entire year of correspondence).

I understand their decision making, I just wish I had not put my life on hold for a year. Also, how on earth do I get experience? I've looked but I'm not finding many opportunities that I am eligible for, especially now that I am out of school! Any advice? *clueless*

Last edited:
Rejection from UNC Nutrition Epi PhD. Totally confused. I'm an in state applicant with a 3.8 GPA for MS in Human Nutrition, 3.66 GPA for BS in Nutrition, TONS of extracurriculars and a student of the year award, a master's thesis with original research, AND they invited me to interviews last year with the regular applicants even though I said I wouldn't apply until this year. My GRE scores weren't terrible but they weren't impressive either (1240 = total of two highest scores over 3 attempts at the test).

WTH?!

So...now I only wait to hear back from USC Columbia which is the HPEB program which is likely way more competitive.

I totally screwed myself by applying to only two programs? I totally screwed myself by being a mediocre test taker? I'm so totally confused. I've already sent out my "what can I do better for next year?" message but that doesn't make me feel much better.

gtg vomit brb

Hey, don't get too down on yourself. PhD applications are impossible to predict because they don't follow the simple good GPA, good GRE, good recommendations = accept formula. There's a bit of a gray area involved, and most times, you have no control over that aspect.

As for applying only to two programs, that's probably too small of a sampling, in my opinion. But if those are the only two places you're interested in going to, no, it's not too few. An average/mediocre GRE may or may not hurt you, but it generally doesn't hurt that badly unless it's egregiously poor. I didn't have exactly stunning GRE scores (something in the 1200's, I remember my verbal sucking, like 500, I think?).

Extra curricular stuff doesn't matter, so don't waste your time with that. Get more research experience and effectively communicate command of the field. These are probably two of the most important application parts (which you demonstrate in your personal statement). Focus on these parts of your application next time a bit more?

Edit/Update:
Wow, they already wrote back! They needed people with more solid research experience / epi experience, and my GRE scores were not at all competitive (think 1400!). Still...I wish they would have been more blunt with me earlier in the application process (an entire year of correspondence).

I understand their decision making, I just wish I had not put my life on hold for a year. Also, how on earth do I get experience? I've looked but I'm not finding many opportunities that I am eligible for, especially now that I am out of school! Any advice? *clueless*

Looks like I hit it on the spot.

Work in research. Get a research job, research assistant or research tech, whichever you can find. Alternatively, work with previous faculty you've worked with, even if it's by distance, on writing, data collection, data analysis. Anything that you can demonstrate research growth.

Last edited:
Work in research. Get a research job, research assistant or research tech, whichever you can find. Alternatively, work with previous faculty you've worked with, even if it's by distance, on writing, data collection, data analysis. Anything that you can demonstrate research growth.

Thank you. I'm confused because whenever I look at research positions they require experience, which I do not have. I made the mistake of staying at my small, practice oriented program for my Master's where the nutrition faculty are not active researchers. I've been corresponding with a doctor who might be able to connect me to some experiences soon, but those will only last a few months because we need to move in May (likely to Chapel Hill). I feel like such a loser...*facepalm*

Thank you. I'm confused because whenever I look at research positions they require experience, which I do not have. I made the mistake of staying at my small, practice oriented program for my Master's where the nutrition faculty are not active researchers. I've been corresponding with a doctor who might be able to connect me to some experiences soon, but those will only last a few months because we need to move in May (likely to Chapel Hill). I feel like such a loser...*facepalm*

I don't know what your financial situation is, a lot of academic institutions and hospitals/research centers have research positions, but they usually end up paying way less. However, if you can get your foot in the door then you can always work your way up. Don't beat yourself up! :)

I don't know what your financial situation is, a lot of academic institutions and hospitals/research centers have research positions, but they usually end up paying way less. However, if you can get your foot in the door then you can always work your way up. Don't beat yourself up! :)

Are those positions listed online, or is this something that requires skilled networking? The hospital positions I see online require experience (usually a year or two) and I'm not seeing much on university websites. Should I just keep looking, or should I go ahead and write a few emails to a few department heads and ask if they could use an intern/volunteer?

I'm willing to work for practically nothing if it means getting experience and having an actual career. Since graduating from my MS program I've been trapped in minimum wage, menial labor hell because I was afraid to get involved in any real opportunities until I heard back! Now that I've heard back I'm 100% dedicated to actually using my education.

Hey,

Do not beat yourself up for this. Just try to take this as a learning experience and grow from it and aim at making your application more competitive.

I actually only applied to UIC PhD epi last year since I did not want to leave my husband behind when I went to grad school (he is in residency so he is stuck). But my one chance backfired and I was not accepted. So I enrolled as a credit non-degree student there instead which allowed me to network with students and faculty, show my academic skills, and got me a volunteer position with a professor on their research project.

Basically, you cannot give up and you should try using this upcoming year to strengthen your application whether its improving GRE scores, gaining volunteer/research experience, or gaining analytical skills by learning SAS, SPSS, R, Epi Info, or numerous others.

I still have not heard back from schools with any acceptances either but still have my hopes up since I had an interview here and there.

I hope this helps!

Good luck!

Popmart- most of these types of research jobs are posted online, however networking does go a long way (especially connecting with the alum network at your undergrad college & master's program). Even if experience is required (depending on the specific job requirements) it doesn't hurt to apply. Calling folks is always a plus when you're job hunting to get your name out there and show your enthusiasm. If you're willing to intern or volunteer to get experience I don't see anything wrong with doing what you mentioned above. Local health departments are also good places to look as well for potential research-related jobs.

Are you trying to stay in nutrition or just get any type of research experience? If you're more open to working in any field and not just nutrition or epi, then there might be more opportunities.

Don't give up! :)

Are those positions listed online, or is this something that requires skilled networking? The hospital positions I see online require experience (usually a year or two) and I'm not seeing much on university websites. Should I just keep looking, or should I go ahead and write a few emails to a few department heads and ask if they could use an intern/volunteer?

I'm willing to work for practically nothing if it means getting experience and having an actual career. Since graduating from my MS program I've been trapped in minimum wage, menial labor hell because I was afraid to get involved in any real opportunities until I heard back! Now that I've heard back I'm 100% dedicated to actually using my education.

From my experience, people with direct connections to the university or research institution end up in research positions. I ended up in my MPH research position because I was a student in the department and knew the researchers. Timing certainly helped, too. Another friend I know ended up with a job because her mentor in grad school had a friend at another institution that needed an analyst. Academia is all about the connections and networking--many people go to conferences for the sole purpose of networking. I know at least two friends who ended up getting their post-docs this way.

Holy ish! Just accepted at Columbia EHS with full tuition, fees, etc. + $32,064 stipend.

... what just happened?

Epi19 - just got the word from Yale. Wait listed, which again, better than rejection, but still isn't fun.

To everyone: Should I send out a "what can I do to improve myself for next year" email now or wait until after April 15 when we know for sure. I'm guessing they are just trying to be cordial since I went to the interview day but I don't really expect to get off the waitilist. Is it also acceptable to ask what position I am? Are they ranked? Any advice is greatly appreciated! Thanks internet family :)

To everyone: Should I send out a "what can I do to improve myself for next year" email now or wait until after April 15 when we know for sure.

If you're looking for detailed feedback then I would wait till after April/May simply because everyone will be busy with the semester ending and whatnot. When I did this last time I applied to doctoral programs I didn't get real feedback till June/July due to the busy schedule of the particular professor I was in contact with.

From my experience, people with direct connections to the university or research institution end up in research positions. I ended up in my MPH research position because I was a student in the department and knew the researchers. Timing certainly helped, too. Another friend I know ended up with a job because her mentor in grad school had a friend at another institution that needed an analyst. Academia is all about the connections and networking--many people go to conferences for the sole purpose of networking. I know at least two friends who ended up getting their post-docs this way.

Stories is correct. Right now I manage an NIH funded RCT and timing is everything. Normally when I have an opening I am trying to fill it in a month and if an employee or colleague of mine knows someone who is interested and has transferrable skills (usually customer service, clinical experience and or data entry as my study deals with a lot of direct patient contact) I will interview them even if the position hasn't been posted.

Knowing people is key, in the time it can take the administrative bureacracy to clear and for a position to be posted, a candidate has usually already been selected. This doesn't mean additional people won't be interviewed but you're probably a back up candidate at this point. This is partly due the need to hire quickly in addition to the fact that it is comforting to work with someone you know. In my experience, people are very cautious about who they recommend to their collegues as it can affect their reputation. For this reason, the referrals tend to be good candidates.

My advice is to you is to work on developing relationships with any of SPH/medical schools in your area. If you have friends that go to those schools ask them to look out for positions from the school listserve . You should also try Idealist and Monster in addition to the HR websites for those organizations. Now is the time to start looking as there are always current research staff returning to school (med, law, PA you name it) and they will be letting their employers know they are leaving and will be helping them fill their positions.

How long do you guys think it's appropriate to wait before asking for an update on your application status? It's been four weeks since I interviewed at a school and I haven't heard a peep! I'm trying my best to resist the temptation to email them to ask what's going on...

How long do you guys think it's appropriate to wait before asking for an update on your application status? It's been four weeks since I interviewed at a school and I haven't heard a peep! I'm trying my best to resist the temptation to email them to ask what's going on...

I would give it until the end of March. Most schools don't ask for replies until April 15th, anyway, so schools should all be done by the end of March.

I think it's okay to send an e-mail after 4 weeks. If nothing it moves you from passively waiting to taking action regarding your application. Furthermore, it shows the school that you are still interested in them and haven't been successful wooed by another program. Even if they can't give you a decision is it perfectly okay to ask for a timeline regarding when you can expect to receive a decision.

April 15th is only 5 weeks away, that's not a lot of time if you still need to visit schools and compare funding offers. There is nothing wrong with trying to get as much information as you can about your choices so that you can make a decision.

Yet to hear from BUSPH DRPH. Anyone else in the same boat?