Fall 2012 Doctoral Applicants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I'm still waiting to hear from BU phd epi too....apparently they've sent out decisions in the mail...so I think we should hear by next week. I don't think there are any interviews for BU.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm still waiting to hear from BU phd epi too....apparently they've sent out decisions in the mail...so I think we should hear by next week. I don't think there are any interviews for BU.

I have seen a lot of decisions made for the Epi department on Grad Cafe and all the acceptances were via email. It does not make me hopeful for a positive response to my application :(

Yea it seems like those who have not heard via e-mail at this point were not accepted :(

Yea it seems like those who have not heard via e-mail at this point were not accepted :(
There have only been two posts of acceptance to the BU Epi PhD on the grad cafe site, they were both 3/1. There was one wait list posted. All were through email.

I also applied but due to a mixup at SOPHAS my application was not forwarded to the department until 2/28 (when i got the email confirming it would be forwarded) at the earliest and it indicated all decisions would be made by mid-March through postal service.

So....I haven't heard either but I am still hopeful as there was no way they could review my app in time for that first round of decisions. Committees meet multiple times on a weekly basis and often have more than one round of decisions. So let's keep hoping!

Anyone else waiting for Berkeley??

One person who got an email reject from Berkeley wrote on grad cafe:
"I emailed them since I didn't have any updates and apparently all the decisions have been made and they aren't sending out the letters... weird... Anyways-bummer!"

That sucks! At least they should have notified everyone!!

Rejected from USF :( ...still waiting to hear from 4 schools, but 3 of them conduct interviews and I haven't been contacted so my odds are not looking up.

Rejected from USF :( ...still waiting to hear from 4 schools, but 3 of them conduct interviews and I haven't been contacted so my odds are not looking up.

Which ones are you still waiting to hear back from?

I interviewed at Colorado SPH and have my interview with LLU this week.

I am still waiting to hear back from : SLU, UIC (my top pick- since I am in Chicago), USC- Columbia, Tulane, BU, and GWU. All are Epi programs except for GWU which is Global Health.

I was losing hope too after a few rejections but then things started getting brighter in February when these interviews came in. Just hold tight and be patient. I am sure you will get in! :xf:

Good Luck!

Has anyone heard from Hopkins Int'l Health SBI? It looks like the other Int'l Health programs have sent letters already.

Epiqueen- still waiting on USC Columbia too...I received my official rejection from UNC so I'm also waiting on UMD. From what I can tell, UMD has already interviewed folks, but they have been doing this on a rolling basis. Thanks for the words of encouragement!

Members don't see this ad :)
Starting to get really antsy waiting for Tulane Epi. They started reviewing apps early Feb and said they would be finished by March. I know others have said that they usually e-mail you when your decision letter is in the mail, but I haven't heard anything. Epiqueen, still no word for you either? Anyone else apply to their Epi PhD program?

@Epi19 - I didn't apply to Epi for Tulane but I never received an official e-mail informing me of my acceptance. I had to e-mail them to inquire about my application status and I was told that it was waiting for the ad director's approval and the next night I received an admissions packet dated 3 weeks prior in postal mail (like 2 days before the Open House). I'd advise you to contact the director of graduate admissions for an update on your application.

Starting to get really antsy waiting for Tulane Epi. They started reviewing apps early Feb and said they would be finished by March. I know others have said that they usually e-mail you when your decision letter is in the mail, but I haven't heard anything. Epiqueen, still no word for you either? Anyone else apply to their Epi PhD program?

Epi19, I have not heard back from them either. I tried calling Ms. Carter but have not been able to get her on the phone. I did call the main admissions office and they keep telling me that the EPI department is still reviewing the applications.

I will let you know once I hear something!

Good luck!

Thanks, good luck to you too! I will post here when I hear as well. I know the school is on spring break now so maybe that's why you couldn't reach them this week?

Waitlisted after fantastic interviews. Ego is stinging.

Have any of you heard of policies regarding submitting a letter of reconsideration after being rejected? It's something I'm considering but I have never heard of anyone doing this and I'm not sure if it is really worth the time. I have a bit of an idea what to specifically write, I'm just wondering if you guys have some input/ opinion on this...thanks!

They are running behind because of mardi gras, open house, and now spring break. Next week they should be back on top of things.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Have any of you heard of policies regarding submitting a letter of reconsideration after being rejected? It's something I'm considering but I have never heard of anyone doing this and I'm not sure if it is really worth the time. I have a bit of an idea what to specifically write, I'm just wondering if you guys have some input/ opinion on this...thanks!

Barring extreme circumstances, I've never heard of a doctoral-level program reconsidering. Generally speaking, there probably is limited funding and/or project availability as primary causes. If this is the case, you probably wouldn't want to go there anyway, especially if it means you couldn't graduate in a timely manner if the reason is research availability-related.

Waitlisted after fantastic interviews. Ego is stinging.

Keep your head up! There's always next year! Education is never final.

I disagree, waitlist means what it means. Its a school's insurance policy in case an unexpected # of people decide to decline- its a list of students the school feels are qualified for their program if their first choice students don't attend. Schools are too concerned with their own needs to worry about finding ways to reject people politely. I was rejected, not waitlisted after 2 interviews. Even though people often do not get off waitlists and it sucks to not get in, you know you are qualified enough to go to the school that waitlisted you. I would work on improving your credentials and reapply next year. Also, if this really was your dream school, make sure to make it known to whichever faculty member(s) you talked to that you really want to go and plan on reapplying. It could have been that a faculty member really wanted you and didn't have enough pull in the committee for whatever reason. When I talked to prospective mentors at schools that really wanted me, they actually gave me tips on how to improve my application so that they would be better able to vouch for me.

I disagree, waitlist means what it means. Its a school's insurance policy in case an unexpected # of people decide to decline- its a list of students the school feels are qualified for their program if their first choice students don't attend. Schools are too concerned with their own needs to worry about finding ways to reject people politely. I was rejected, not waitlisted after 2 interviews. Even though people often do not get off waitlists and it sucks to not get in, you know you are qualified enough to go to the school that waitlisted you. I would work on improving your credentials and reapply next year. Also, if this really was your dream school, make sure to make it known to whichever faculty member(s) you talked to that you really want to go and plan on reapplying. It could have been that a faculty member really wanted you and didn't have enough pull in the committee for whatever reason. When I talked to prospective mentors at schools that really wanted me, they actually gave me tips on how to improve my application so that they would be better able to vouch for me.

I think that while being accepted off a waitlist is already a long shot, getting off the waitlist and then also receiving any funding is far more remote. So the realistic possibility of attending a school of the waitlist is pretty remote.

Waitlist = polite rejection?

I agree and disagree... before this semester, the anecdotes I'd heard had convinced me that it was entirely ridiculous to think one would be accepted from the waitlist. But, I was waitlisted in early Feb, called in for an interview in mid Feb, and accepted off of the waitlist in March. So it can happen!!

USC Columbia said they were making decisions last week. Before that, they said they would do it the week before. Now they're saying it will be this week.

*head desk*

USC Columbia said they were making decisions last week. Before that, they said they would do it the week before. Now they're saying it will be this week.

*head desk*

I feel you on that one. Did they say how they will notify people?

On a different note, I just got off the phone with one of the schools that I rejected me. Apparently, I was recommended for admission but there weren't enough faculty members that matched my research interests. I figured that would be an issue because during the interview one of the other applicants I spoke with had the exact same research interests as mine...this sucks. Second time around, same reason for being rejected :-\

Last edited:
Holy ish! Just accepted at Columbia EHS with full tuition, fees, etc. + $32,064 stipend.

... what just happened?
Hi werd, quick question about Columbia: were you waitlisted and then interviewed? I interviewed in January and haven't heard anything since. Do you know anyone else that has heard from them and did they email you with the acceptance? Congrats!

Anyone accepted to the DrPH Epi program at Colorado School of Public Health? I interviewed about 3 weeks ago and still have not heard back form them. I am getting super nervous since I saw someone was accepted to the sane program on Grad Cafe.

I just received response from BU Epi PhD, it was a rejection via Postal Service. Just thought I would update since I know a few others were waiting to hear as well. Best of luck to all.

Hi guys.

So, I've been researching PhD Epi programs, specifically looking at some of the less popular schools that offer the degree. When applying, how much should I consider the school's name recognition in contrast to funding? I mean, quite a few PhD programs I have been coming across that are outside CEPH accredited schools of public health seem to offer full tuition, stipend and health insurance to all PhD candidates, but people seem to focus on the accredited and ranked programs a lot more on these forums.

Does CEPH accreditation really matter for emploment at the PhD level, especially when you have an MPH from a CEPH school aready? That full funding if admitted looks pretty enticing.

Hi guys.

So, I've been researching PhD Epi programs, specifically looking at some of the less popular schools that offer the degree. When applying, how much should I consider the school's name recognition in contrast to funding? I mean, quite a few PhD programs I have been coming across that are outside CEPH accredited schools of public health seem to offer full tuition, stipend and health insurance to all PhD candidates, but people seem to focus on the accredited and ranked programs a lot more on these forums.

Does CEPH accreditation really matter for emploment at the PhD level, especially when you have an MPH from a CEPH school aready? That full funding if admitted looks pretty enticing.

Only if you plan on working in a public service position after you graduate does it matter significantly. People tend to focus on the big name programs because they tend to have the most faculty that do a wide breadth of research.

If you have a professor you're interested in working with at a smaller university (say... at a medical school but not a public health school), you should totally go for it. Especially if that faculty member has a great track record in that field.

And I absolutely believe that students should take the best funding offers they receive. Because there are few guarantees about jobs after you graduate. Why risk massive (5+ years worth) of loans?

Only if you plan on working in a public service position after you graduate does it matter significantly. People tend to focus on the big name programs because they tend to have the most faculty that do a wide breadth of research.

If you have a professor you're interested in working with at a smaller university (say... at a medical school but not a public health school), you should totally go for it. Especially if that faculty member has a great track record in that field.

And I absolutely believe that students should take the best funding offers they receive. Because there are few guarantees about jobs after you graduate. Why risk massive (5+ years worth) of loans?
Thanks Stories!

I will definitely take those points into consideration.

I just received response from BU Epi PhD, it was a rejection via Postal Service. Just thought I would update since I know a few others were waiting to hear as well. Best of luck to all.

Me too... I guess it makes my decision a lot easier. Good luck to everyone still waiting on decisions or trying to decide :)

Just got my "rejection" email from USC Columbia! Sucks!

Still waiting to hear back from BU, TULANE, UIC, SLU, and UAB.

I applied to about my top ten choices and have gotten rejections from all but the ones that I have not yet heard back from. I really want to go to UIC!

Just got another rejection today from CSPH!!

So sorry. Are you waiting to hear back from any other programs?

Anyone still waiting? I've had only one school left to hear from for the past 3 weeks and I just want to know so I can decide get this whole thing over with.

I called UIC yesterday and was told that they are waiting to hear from the reviewers but hopefully should hear back by the end of the week.

I got an email from SLU today saying that my application is still under review for the Epi PhD program. Anyone else get the same email? It was a forward email from Bernie Backer.

Got my rejection letter via the website from UMD today. Boo

I e-mailed Tulane about my application and they said it was still in departmental review (has been in this stage for 2 months now).... and I know once it get reviewed it sometimes takes over a week to get the official letter out. I'd imagine admissions committees know that there is an April 15th deadline to enroll for PhD programs for some schools, right?

I got an email from SLU today saying that my application is still under review for the Epi PhD program. Anyone else get the same email? It was a forward email from Bernie Backer.

I got the same one. I applied for the Health Education PhD program, though. Any news?
I got an acceptance from UF's program for Socio-Behavioral Sciences. I think I'm going to take it. They're giving me funding and I have yet to hear back from SLU and I feel impatient...

UF has a beautiful campus, and all you can eat vegetarian food @ plaza of the Americas on campus from 11:30 - 1:30p M-F for a $4 donation.

The best ice cream shop in town is sweet dreams on 34th st.

The only other restaurants worth going to:

Sushi: Dragonfly, Sushi Matsuri

Mexican: Burrito Brothers, Las Margaritas

Latin: Emilianos, Civilization

Asian: Chopstix, Buddha Belly

Pizza: Satchels, 706

Coffee: Volta

Things to do/see: Ginnie springs in Alachua; Tubing down the Itchetucknee river; Devils Millhopper sinkhole; Paynes Prairie, Harn and Natural History museums

Theres a flourishing biking, jazz, and sports/athletic community.

Housing: Avoid the duckpond and the student ghetto; Look for something in 32607 zip (34th st, 36th st,) or areas around Levin college of law. Apartments on 34th/archer are a gamble. Arlington square downtown is pretty nice. PM me if you have specific questions.

Last edited:
Just received my official acceptance to Pitt's Doctor of Philosophy program in the Department of Behavioral and Community Health Sciences. Only two months later. Not attending, as I accepted my spot with full funding at another school two months ago.

Just received my official acceptance to Pitt's Doctor of Philosophy program in the Department of Behavioral and Community Health Sciences. Only two months later. Not attending, as I accepted my spot with full funding at another school two months ago.

Still, nice job!