Fall 2012 Doctoral Applicants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

werd814

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Howdy all!

Figured it was a good time to start a doctoral apps thread. Is anyone at SDN applying to PhD, ScD, DrPH or other doctoral degree (?) programs this fall? I just started my apps (yikes!), and would love to have a pal or two for commiserating.

My particular interests are Environmental Health and Epidemiology, mostly with a focus on the intersection of air pollution, climate change, and human health.

Anybody else?

werD

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hi,
I'm an international, also applying to PhD programs this fall. I'm interested in pharmacoepidemiology. Yet to make applications, working on SOP and stuffs.

I haven't seen many Phd applicants yet... but guess there are quite a lot...?
Commiserating, for sure ;)

Members don't see this ad :)
Werd, are you hoping to stay at Yale?

I am applying to PhD and ScD programs, though not all in PH. My research interest is pretty specific so I am applying to programs where there are people doing that work.

Hey JMM-- I'm still in the process of contacting profs and feeling out other schools' programs, but I'm definitely interested in Yale. I really like the Epi/Enviro Epi faculty here, and the Forestry school makes a great resource for climate stuffs.

I'm mainly looking into other schools that have profs doing research in my specific area(s) of interest, too. It's a small enough field that I've been able to narrow the list to 5 or so... I'm not sure if you feel the same way, but it's sort of a blessing and a curse to have a super-specific interest. Only 5 chances of acceptance! heh. A bit nervewracking

Zxcv, great to have a commiserater! Where are you from?

And Stories, you can expect to get an email/call from me. It's been too long!

Definitely a blessing and curse. Sometimes I wonder if I am being too narrow and think about pursuing another topic area as well but this is really what I am interested in. I actually don't know if I even have 5 schools right now. I major problem I am encountering right now is the fact that there is only a small amount of work being done in the field and some of it is in psych. I don't know if I want to go back to psych and frankly don't want to get into the psych application game, it's almost/just as bad as med school. I'd prefer to watch my friends deal with that stress and avoid it myself.

On a side note, I met two of your classmates this summer. :)

i'm applying to phd programs in epi/infectious diseases.....i'm so overwhelmed. i seriously don't even know where to start. i applied to dental school years ago, and that process was rough, but this is so complicated to me. it just seems like there is so much to do for every school and I don't know how competitive I am. i'm pretty stressed. i have my MS in bio so i'm not sure if this will help me a lot, or if it looks like i don't really have and idea of what I want to do. Plus, i have a lot of areas of interest, so I'm afraid schools want like a proposed plan already. this process scares me.

Hemostat, may I ask you which schools/programs you are planning to apply to? I'm sort of in the same boat...so please feel free to contact me.

Hemostat, may I ask you which schools/programs you are planning to apply to? I'm sort of in the same boat...so please feel free to contact me.

well...a bunch. i live in illinois, so UIC, then probably SLU, and a variety of others. I think I have like nine on my sophas list. i'm interested in infectious diseases, so most of my schools have specilizations in that, or just general epidemiology.
i'm dragging my feet so bad, though. i'm terrified of requesting LORs for some reason. i have two profs from grad school but i'm struggling to find a third. i think my boss at the college i teach at? ugh, who knows. then theres my statement of purpose. no idea where to start. i applied to dental school numerous times and for some reason this is so much harder, and more initimidating for me.

you?

i'm applying to phd programs in epi/infectious diseases.....i'm so overwhelmed. i seriously don't even know where to start. i applied to dental school years ago, and that process was rough, but this is so complicated to me. it just seems like there is so much to do for every school and I don't know how competitive I am. i'm pretty stressed. i have my MS in bio so i'm not sure if this will help me a lot, or if it looks like i don't really have and idea of what I want to do. Plus, i have a lot of areas of interest, so I'm afraid schools want like a proposed plan already. this process scares me.

Do you have an idea of what you want to do? Just from an objective viewpoint, biology, dentistry and epidemiology are somewhat dissimilar fields. You said you have no idea where to start with your statement of purpose...are you sure the PhD in epi is the right fit? A PhD is usually a terminal degree (with emphasis on academic research), it's intended to be a statement of your life's specialty. You may be better served in the long run if you rack up some work experience in public health and see whether you like it or not, and/or perhaps start with the MPH first. Plus, with an MPH and/or work experience, your application for admission to a PhD in epi would be stronger, as would your case for funding.

Hi all,

I'm undecided between MPH and DrPh/PhD. My prof told me to go to do PhD because PhD is more beneficial in term of promotion and salary (I am inclined to do program evaluation or research in NGO). Can any prospective, existing PhD advise me:
- Is an applicant without master degree competitive for PhD or DrPh? Some uni say master degree is a must; some don't mention. So I'm not sure how much chance I have...
- I know that DrPh is for health care practitioners while PhD focuses on research, but are they really different in term of employment, salary, career prospect? Do employers look at DrPh and PhD differently?

Good luck guys on your applications

Hi guys,
is it really necessary or better to contact professors before you actually submit applications? I do have a few professors in mind, but I'm just not sure whether I should send them emails to ask(then, what should I ask??).. many around me are advising me to do so though. I understand that it is critical to know if that professor is accepting new students or not, but other than that, what should I say when contacting professors for admission? :(
Every-thing is so confusing ;) Good luck!

Hi all,

I'm undecided between MPH and DrPh/PhD. My prof told me to go to do PhD because PhD is more beneficial in term of promotion and salary (I am inclined to do program evaluation or research in NGO). Can any prospective, existing PhD advise me:
- Is an applicant without master degree competitive for PhD or DrPh? Some uni say master degree is a must; some don't mention. So I'm not sure how much chance I have...
- I know that DrPh is for health care practitioners while PhD focuses on research, but are they really different in term of employment, salary, career prospect? Do employers look at DrPh and PhD differently?

Good luck guys on your applications

Your prof is wrong about the promotion and salary aspect. The degrees have very different objectives and career trajectories (as I'm sure you already know). But the type of research you do is going to be a bit different depending on which direction you take (and depends on discipline). Both degrees are doctorates, which is a necessity for some careers (such as principal investigators). With that said, just because the objectives are different between the two doesn't mean a DrPH precludes you from entering into research and a PhD from entering into administration.

Hi guys,
is it really necessary or better to contact professors before you actually submit applications? I do have a few professors in mind, but I'm just not sure whether I should send them emails to ask(then, what should I ask??).. many around me are advising me to do so though. I understand that it is critical to know if that professor is accepting new students or not, but other than that, what should I say when contacting professors for admission? :(
Every-thing is so confusing ;) Good luck!

It's absolutely a good idea, particularly to figure out if there are any spots open/funding available. Other than that, you should contact a professor once you know your research interests to figure out a god match.

Members don't see this ad :)
My prof told me to go to do PhD because PhD is more beneficial in term of promotion and salary (I am inclined to do program evaluation or research in NGO).
The salaries of PhD and DrPH are comparable, and higher than an MPH "of equivalent experience". However at NGOs, I would say salary is based more on experience than degree. You can get to a high level (country director, regional director) of an NGO with an MPH+experience. Unless you are getting meaningful, applicable, productive experience during the 5 years of your PhD/DrPH, you will be less competitive than an MPH who was working and gaining good experience over the same 5 years. Academia is a whole different story...here a PhD is a requirement and research publications, not work experience, is the key.

- Is an applicant without master degree competitive for PhD or DrPh?
It is possible but you would be alot more competitive for both admission and funding if you had a masters. Otherwise you would need an overall strong application (especially public health research experience or publications and public health work experience).

I know that DrPh is for health care practitioners
That may be a typo, but just to clarify: the DrPH is for public health practitioners. There are no clinical skills taught in the DrPH, you do not need a clinical degree for admission to DrPH programs, and the DrPH would not be very helpful for a clinician planning to return to clinical practice.

I'm new here! Is anyone planning to apply to the PhD public health program at NYU or the DPH program at CUNY? I think I want to apply. Wondering how competitive they are and if I can get an application together before the December 1st deadline. :idea:

Last edited:
Your prof is wrong about the promotion and salary aspect. The degrees have very different objectives and career trajectories (as I'm sure you already know). But the type of research you do is going to be a bit different depending on which direction you take (and depends on discipline). Both degrees are doctorates, which is a necessity for some careers (such as principal investigators). With that said, just because the objectives are different between the two doesn't mean a DrPH precludes you from entering into research and a PhD from entering into administration.

My mistake:(. My prof meant that I should start my PhD/DrPH directly instead of taking MPH because of promotion and salary aspect and that eventually I would need these doctorates in order to take up high position in NGO. Thanks anyway for your enlightenment :)

The salaries of PhD and DrPH are comparable, and higher than an MPH "of equivalent experience". However at NGOs, I would say salary is based more on experience than degree. You can get to a high level (country director, regional director) of an NGO with an MPH+experience. Unless you are getting meaningful, applicable, productive experience during the 5 years of your PhD/DrPH, you will be less competitive than an MPH who was working and gaining good experience over the same 5 years. Academia is a whole different story...here a PhD is a requirement and research publications, not work experience, is the key.

It is possible but you would be alot more competitive for both admission and funding if you had a masters. Otherwise you would need an overall strong application (especially public health research experience or publications and public health work experience).

That may be a typo, but just to clarify: the DrPH is for public health practitioners. There are no clinical skills taught in the DrPH, you do not need a clinical degree for admission to DrPH programs, and the DrPH would not be very helpful for a clinician planning to return to clinical practice.

Thanks for the insight. I always prefer NGO than academic settings. So I should really think twice about MPH vs doctorates :x
(Yes, my typo.. DrPH is for public health practitioners :D)

First, thank you for all the great information on this thread. I've been plagued by most of these questions for a while now. I'm currently a MPH student in Epidemiology and I know I definitely want to continue on and get my PhD or DrPH.

The thing is I'm graduating a little early and I will be completing my practicum either next semester or in the summer. I've been trying to find someone to do research with but so far it has been tough. I'm interested in Infectious Diseases and Emergency Preparedness.

Is it true that most DrPH programs require prior field experience? Also, are my chances of getting into a PhD program reduced because I don't have any Epi research experience (at the moment)?

Howdy all!

Figured it was a good time to start a doctoral apps thread. Is anyone at SDN applying to PhD, ScD, DrPH or other doctoral degree (?) programs this fall? I just started my apps (yikes!), and would love to have a pal or two for commiserating.

My particular interests are Environmental Health and Epidemiology, mostly with a focus on the intersection of air pollution, climate change, and human health.

Anybody else?

werD

Seems like nobody on this board is applying for doctoral programs in Public Health this year.

Seems like nobody on this board is applying for doctoral programs in Public Health this year.

I will. In fact, I will apply to both MPH and PhD, to increase my chance to receive admission and funding.

What do you think about University of Rochester? Not a very high ranked but a good university, as far as I know. I heard their medical school is very strong and their PhD program is accredited ^^

Hello everyone! I am almost done with my apps to PhD in Social and Behavioral Science programs. The process wasn't too bad...I'm just really dreading the wait to hear something back. Winter can't come soon enough!

Hello everyone! I am almost done with my apps to PhD in Social and Behavioral Science programs. The process wasn't too bad...I'm just really dreading the wait to hear something back. Winter can't come soon enough!

Hey twizzler86,

Did you publish any papers during your Master's or did you go the thesis direction?
Good luck on your apps!

Is it true that most DrPH programs require prior field experience? Also, are my chances of getting into a PhD program reduced because I don't have any Epi research experience (at the moment)?

Ok, putting admissions aside for a minute and thinking long term, there are two questions you need to answer for yourself in this situation.

1) If you get accepted to a PhD/DrPH program with no prior experience, do you have a plan for getting quality, relevant experience during your program, beyond the degree itself, so that your CV isn't blank when you graduate?

2) If you can only get into a lower-ranked PhD program because of lack of experience, and considering that the PhD is meant to be a terminal degree (i.e. the last degree you will probably get), will you be satisfied with that?

If your answers to both are "yes", then I encourage you to apply and give it your best shot.

Ok, putting admissions aside for a minute and thinking long term, there are two questions you need to answer for yourself in this situation.

1) If you get accepted to a PhD/DrPH program with no prior experience, do you have a plan for getting quality, relevant experience during your program, beyond the degree itself, so that your CV isn't blank when you graduate?

2) If you can only get into a lower-ranked PhD program because of lack of experience, and considering that the PhD is meant to be a terminal degree (i.e. the last degree you will probably get), will you be satisfied with that?

If your answers to both are "yes", then I encourage you to apply and give it your best shot.

Generally speaking, your PhD program will get you the experience you need to eventually go onto a successful research career. The PhD is all about doing research and publishing it. At the very least, a successful graduate should have a few papers published and a few abstracts/posters at conferences.

A lower ranked school should not have any bearing on future career status. The most important aspect to consider is if the program in question can support a student's work. The research area of interest should match up quite well, otherwise graduating in a reasonable time frame can be a bit more difficult and the quality of work will be poor. And going to a high ranked school will not guarantee quality work.

Hey twizzler86,

Did you publish any papers during your Master's or did you go the thesis direction?
Good luck on your apps!

Hi EpiDerp!

I have two manuscripts in progress, one I am first author on, and I have a couple of posters I am first author on for national conferences that I will be presenting in the next few months.

I am in the process of applying and was searching for such a thread. I have already submitted my application for JHU for consideration for PhD in health Economics with a concentration in International health. As we speak I am also finishing up my application for UC Berkeley (PhD Health Policy /Analysis with conc. in health Economics); additionally I am considering UNC Chapel Hill as well. i already took the revised GRE.
I have a pharmacy background (PBM for 10 years) with an MBA; I am hoping that gains me some consideration. This whole process is quite involved, there should be a class on applying to Phd programs. I actually just got back from an Open house at JHU-Bloomberg is quite the campus!

Anyone who can offer advice, or is even familiar with either schools..please reply

I'll bite. I'm applying to PhD programs this year. Some are in behavioral health and others are in policy because I have an interest in both. I have a few questions that I'd like to get your feedback on...

Do you think it is better to submit a c.v. instead of a resume with your application? I have a hybrid document that's laid out like a resume but contains some c.v.-type information like publications. When I try to put this into a more standard c.v. format, it looks really contrived.

What do you think of applying to a (1-year) master's degree as a safety? My master's is not an MPH so I thought I would do this in case my PhD applications turn out to be unsuccessful.

Are you reaching out to professors during the application period? If so, is it mostly about research opportunities, or other stuff? I've heard mixed things about how receptive profs are to this sort of thing. If you have tips on minimizing the annoyance factor, I'd really like to hear them.

Thanks!

I'll bite. I'm applying to PhD programs this year. Some are in behavioral health and others are in policy because I have an interest in both. I have a few questions that I'd like to get your feedback on...

Do you think it is better to submit a c.v. instead of a resume with your application? I have a hybrid document that's laid out like a resume but contains some c.v.-type information like publications. When I try to put this into a more standard c.v. format, it looks really contrived.

What do you think of applying to a (1-year) master's degree as a safety? My master's is not an MPH so I thought I would do this in case my PhD applications turn out to be unsuccessful.

Are you reaching out to professors during the application period? If so, is it mostly about research opportunities, or other stuff? I've heard mixed things about how receptive profs are to this sort of thing. If you have tips on minimizing the annoyance factor, I'd really like to hear them.

Thanks!

You should be applying to a PhD program with a CV and not a resume. This is where you'd list all your academic credentials such as published papers, abstracts, and presentations, which are big components of an academic career/training.

I would generally say that applying to MPH as a backup isn't absolutely necessary, unless you're feeling very unsure about your chances and you're dead set on being in school next year. I'd actually suggest just applying to doctoral programs and re-applying if things don't work out this year.

It can be useful to reach out to professors, but it isn't critical.

Hey guys,

I am currently a fourth year undergraduate student from University of Toronto in Canada, and I am applying to MPH in epidemiology this year. I major is physiology human biology, and my cGPA is 3.52. My GRE score is verbal: 650, Quantitative: 790, writing: 4.0. I have one year of undergraduate research experience in a diabetes lab and two years of research experience in a nephrology lab as a project student. I also have some volunteer experience in hospitals and rehabilitation centres. My dream schools are Columbia, Yale, and Berkley, but they are really competitive. What schools should I apply to? Do you guys know some safe schools that I should apply to?
Thanks~ :)

For those of us applying to Columbia:

Anyone know what to do with the writing sample? Do we upload it, or do we just send it in separately to Columbia?

Thanks, Stories, for your reply! I was dreading making a c.v., but I'll get to work.

CP

You should be applying to a PhD program with a CV and not a resume. This is where you'd list all your academic credentials such as published papers, abstracts, and presentations, which are big components of an academic career/training.

I would generally say that applying to MPH as a backup isn't absolutely necessary, unless you're feeling very unsure about your chances and you're dead set on being in school next year. I'd actually suggest just applying to doctoral programs and re-applying if things don't work out this year.

It can be useful to reach out to professors, but it isn't critical.

For those of us applying to Columbia:

Anyone know what to do with the writing sample? Do we upload it, or do we just send it in separately to Columbia?

I'm wondering if the writing sample is mandatory for everyone, since no other school asks for it(at least the ones I'm applying for don't)... Are they asking for published papers or just writings of any sort related to the field? :(

I'm wondering if the writing sample is mandatory for everyone, since no other school asks for it(at least the ones I'm applying for don't)... Are they asking for published papers or just writings of any sort related to the field? :(

Their page says it's mandatory for EHS and Epi applicants (http://www.publichealth.columbia.edu/degree-programs/drph-and-phd/epidemiology-phd and http://www.publichealth.columbia.edu/degree-programs/drph-and-phd/environmental-health-sciences-phd).

"The writing sample should be a paper of which the applicant is an author, or co-author, focused on a health-related topic. If the applicant does not have a publication, the writing sample can be a paper written from an undergraduate or graduate science course."

I don't have any publishables (yet), so I'm submitting (however that works) a term paper I wrote for toxicology. Hop that helps!

Their page says it's mandatory for EHS and Epi applicants (http://www.publichealth.columbia.edu/degree-programs/drph-and-phd/epidemiology-phd and http://www.publichealth.columbia.edu/degree-programs/drph-and-phd/environmental-health-sciences-phd).

"The writing sample should be a paper of which the applicant is an author, or co-author, focused on a health-related topic. If the applicant does not have a publication, the writing sample can be a paper written from an undergraduate or graduate science course."

I don't have any publishables (yet), so I'm submitting (however that works) a term paper I wrote for toxicology. Hop that helps!

Oh, thanks! That helps a lot :) Now I should dig into my hard drive...

I was just curious...how many schools are you guys applying to? It's totally a personal thing and definitely dependent on your research interests but I am just curious.

I was just curious...how many schools are you guys applying to? It's totally a personal thing and definitely dependent on your research interests but I am just curious.

When I applied, it was to 17. Again, I had three very distinct research areas I was interested in and so I applied to programs in all three areas. If I were to do it again (knowing which area I'd end up in), I'd definitely bring that down to ~8.

At least 12 for me.

When I applied, it was to 17. Again, I had three very distinct research areas I was interested in and so I applied to programs in all three areas. If I were to do it again (knowing which area I'd end up in), I'd definitely bring that down to ~8.

Yikes! I've only applied to six...

First 3 applications in today, though!! :banana:

Werd, are you hoping to stay at Yale?

I am applying to PhD and ScD programs, though not all in PH. My research interest is pretty specific so I am applying to programs where there are people doing that work.

Hey Werd,

I'm applying to Yale's infectious disease epi PhD program and was wondering if you could give some insight into why you wouldn't want to continue your studies there and about this specific program, if you can. It seems like there's tons of funding available and really great professors.

On a side note, it seems like Berkeley would be a great place for you (air quality/climate change noble laureate Kirk Smith is the man). Applying there?

Thanks!

Hey Werd,

I'm applying to Yale's infectious disease epi PhD program and was wondering if you could give some insight into why you wouldn't want to continue your studies there and about this specific program, if you can. It seems like there's tons of funding available and really great professors.

On a side note, it seems like Berkeley would be a great place for you (air quality/climate change noble laureate Kirk Smith is the man). Applying there?

Thanks!

Hey!

Infectious Epi is a great program here. I would absolutely not take what I said earlier as a dis on the school, the professors or (certainly) the opportunities available at Yale. I've had great experiences here; I was only unsure of whether my main research interests were better represented at YSPH or YFES (forestry). I've chatted with some profs since then, and find that it may actually be more appropriate to apply to YSPH than I thought... but I'm still trying to figure it out, hah.

And, chyeah, Kirk Smith is absolutely the man. Have you taken any classes with him?

...I'm definitely interested in Yale. I really like the Epi/Enviro Epi faculty here...I'm mainly looking into other schools that have profs doing research in my specific area(s) of interest, too.

I wouldn't mind if you did dis. It's better to hear the good, bad, and ugly before wasting time applying, or even worse ending up at a school you hate.

Kirk was one of my advisors and very approachable. When I applied for my MS he actually called me to answer my questions instead of replying via email. If you're interested don't be bashful about contacting him or anyone else in the department.

There are a lot of pros, and certainly some some cons. I'm in midterm/snowmageddon mode and trying to pry myself away from apps and SDN for the weekend... I'm doing really well so far... and would rather be more thoughtful than not in my response, so I'll get back to you with some depth in a few days!

Last edited:
JMM -- what are your research interests? I'm somewhere in between psych and PH also, so I'm just curious.

Everyone else -- is anyone applying to doctoral programs straight out of MPH programs?

JMM -- what are your research interests? I'm somewhere in between psych and PH also, so I'm just curious.

Everyone else -- is anyone applying to doctoral programs straight out of MPH programs?

I am applying to PhD programs right out of the MPH!

I was wondering what people's thoughts are of applying to both PhD and ScD degrees within the same program. I'm not sure if I understand what the difference is...but I'm pretty sure I would prefer the PhD over the ScD.

I am applying to PhD programs right out of the MPH!

I was wondering what people's thoughts are of applying to both PhD and ScD degrees within the same program. I'm not sure if I understand what the difference is...but I'm pretty sure I would prefer the PhD over the ScD.

I don't know the answer to your question, twizzer86, but I have a similar one. Some of the big schools of PH have more than one program that fit my interests. Does applying to more than one doctoral program at the same school increase chances of admission (since you are considered for two degrees), or does it make you look like you don't know what you want?

I'm applying to 7 PhD/DrPH programs with concentrations in the behavioral sciences:
Hopkins, Emory, UNC, U South Carolina, U Mich, Tulane, U Pitt

All of my applications and supporting materials were submitted last week. And now I wait to hear about interviews............

Hello Forum,

I am new here but I am also applying for PhD programs in Epi and Environmental health. I am kinda worried about application. I am currently in an MPH program in Health Ed & Promotion with very minimal research experience. I have my BS in Biochemistry. How strong do you think my applications will be?

Hello Forum,

I am new here but I am also applying for PhD programs in Epi and Environmental health. I am kinda worried about application. I am currently in an MPH program in Health Ed & Promotion with very minimal research experience. I have my BS in Biochemistry. How strong do you think my applications will be?

I'll be perfectly frank. With only what you've listed, I wouldn't say very good. Particularly since you don't have relevant experience to compensate for applying out of your MPH concentration. Your GPA, GRE, and letters of rec should be top notch for you to stand a chance. Also, do very well on your interviews. Prepare ahead of time and know what you're going to say.

Just found this thread- I'm applying to JHSPH for a DrPH (fall 2012)- just sent in the app last week...