England - Game Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I just got my second vaccine dose today and I already feel crappy. Don't want to bake. So instead, I submit a picture of my dinner from our local British pub, The Mucky Duck. Chicken curry and a scotch egg.
IMG_3403.jpg

• Love
  • Care
Reactions: 16 users
I just got my second vaccine dose today and I already feel crappy. Don't want to bake. So instead, I submit a picture of my dinner from our local British pub, The Mucky Duck. Chicken curry and a scotch egg.
View attachment 334838
I had paneer tikka masala! I'd show a pic but I eated it.

• Love
Reactions: 7 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I heard there was a bake-off
I submit my homemade cake that I made for my mom for her birthday. It is a 3 layer chocolate cake with chocolate filling and vanilla icing.

Attachments

• FDBC26D5-489F-4EF2-ABC5-27E870D3E72C.jpeg
    FDBC26D5-489F-4EF2-ABC5-27E870D3E72C.jpeg
    225.9 KB · Views: 42
  • Love
Reactions: 8 users
I will give 3 bonus points to anyone who makes a gluten free dish.

Bonus points can be cashed in for free yeet votes in the next game!*

*Yeet votes not redeemable for mayo votes. Subject to kaydubs review. Bonus points may cause nausea, vomiting, dry blood, brain death, or llamaing. Contains pieces the size of a child's esophagus.

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 13 users
Can I submit a cake made by my IRL friend for my birthday last year?

6AAE6EEF-97C6-44B9-AF3A-394F165EF48C.jpeg

• Love
  • Wow
Reactions: 15 users
Filing tonight's dinner for consideration
20210414.jpg

Paprika and saffron salmon over orzo and zucchini salad.

ADDITIONALLY. Since it is a bakeoff... Made a bunch of cookies for a party that I went to Sunday. These are the leftover cookies beyond all the ones everyone ate at the party. And yes. I (and my wife, because it's a lot of work) baked them.
20200413.jpg

• Love
Reactions: 11 users
View attachment 334847

ADDITIONALLY. Since it is a bakeoff... Made a bunch of cookies for a party that I went to Sunday. These are the leftover cookies beyond all the ones everyone ate at the party. And yes. I (and my wife, because it's a lot of work) baked them.
View attachment 334849

I found a photo of one of the (three!) platters I brought over. Demonstrates more of the cookies in the display.
20210411.jpg

• Love
  • Wow
Reactions: 9 users
View attachment 334847

View attachment 334849
Are those rainbow cookies??? I’d love for you to PM me the recipe!!

Reactions: 1 user
STARS

baked something special just for this

IMG_20210414_232502.jpg

STARS

• Haha
  • Hmm
Reactions: 12 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Bakers, you have approximately 9.5 hours remaining!

14 times Mel and Sue were the best thing to happen to GBBO | Mel and sue,  Great british bake off, British bake off

I have recorded submissions from genny, alissa, sunny, capri, DocE, and, grudgingly, FTF so far. And Cray just posted while I was editing this to chide FTF.

FTF, sneaking storebought goods into The Tent is highly frowned upon.

• Haha
  • Angry
Reactions: 6 users
20170709_013220.jpg

Mom and I's "Gugaloff."

It's my Jewish great-grandmother's recipe from pre-WWII Austria, and is German for "good loaf" I believe, or that's our best guess.

It's a dairy-based yeasty breakfast bread with lemon zest and raisins, very dense and flavorful.

• Love
Bakers, you have approximately 9.5 hours remaining!

14 times Mel and Sue were the best thing to happen to GBBO | Mel and sue,  Great british bake off, British bake off

I have recorded submissions from genny, alissa, sunny, capri, DocE, and, grudgingly, FTF so far. And Cray just posted while I was editing this to chide FTF.

FTF, sneaking storebought goods into The Tent is highly frowned upon.
STARS

this is my great grandmother's recipe!

(i dont own an oven)

STARS

• Haha
  • Hmm
Reactions: 8 users
For your official consideration I give you “oh **** the cafeteria was going to close and I better eat” meal
Plating done by the lady in the cafeteria I see every night but doesn’t wear a name tag and has headphones in so I never asked.
my own twist is the seasoning salt on the grilled cheese. 10/10.
72554F99-D78A-4606-94BA-B8FE6AA1A013.jpeg

• Love
  • Haha
For tonight, in honor of the amazingly warm and summery day we had, I decided to bake up some delicious miniature pavlovas!

Featuring freshly whipped lemon cream on a crisp yet chewy meringue nest, filled with freshly picked (from the produce aisle) berries! And for those of you chocolate lovers, some miniature decorative accents of dark chocolate.

66A6288A-CDFD-4BD1-AB7B-642359C99557.jpeg

7750FE8B-C091-4013-8C2D-109C42ED5B9F.jpeg

699F9944-BAE3-4AA2-9CD5-49900621BFE1.jpeg

• Love
  • Wow
Reactions: 18 users
For tonight, in honor of the amazingly warm and summery day we had, I decided to bake up some delicious miniature pavlovas!

Featuring freshly whipped lemon cream on a crisp yet chewy meringue nest, filled with freshly picked (from the produce aisle) berries! And for those of you chocolate lovers, some miniature decorative accents of dark chocolate.

View attachment 334853

View attachment 334854
View attachment 334856
If she ain’t village after that display I quit lol

• Haha

View attachment 334853

View attachment 334854

This is awesome!!!

• Love
Reactions: 3 users
~~~~~~~~~~~~

I'm watching this thread during breaks and having the same reactions as when I'm watching the actual Great British Baking Show

Bake Off GIF by PBS

~~~~~~~~~~~~

• Love
Also because I only learned how to bake in the last year because of covid, totally gonna just fish for compliments with a few random creations I’m particularly proud of!

3D5DB57B-6AB7-4F5C-8F49-B13DEB529E1E.jpeg
1CA676B2-FB25-4F29-980D-E2F6BC6D5CFF.jpeg

418AA74A-65E7-4C4C-9646-3A64AD5CB6AF.jpeg
326279FA-FEED-497D-87B9-C41DC0B8F769.jpeg

B1F50B11-039B-4C99-B2D5-83F6F478BF68.jpeg

30DEF040-42FD-43CB-A4AB-BD91D764E31E.jpeg
DCE39F0B-BA8A-4102-B6D2-CDA97754929E.jpeg
2FB79BCB-81F0-416A-9A01-7AF07474BEBC.jpeg
51E3967E-0B36-4948-AEBF-CEA81FE99131.jpeg
2FC2DFAA-8658-4BD9-A95C-C032DA83F43F.jpeg

• Love
  • Wow
Reactions: 19 users
Turns out when the thread is dead, I’m amazingly productive. I went for a run, cooked dinner and baked, and watched the new Godzilla vs. King Kong :laugh:

• Haha
  • Love
Also because I only learned how to bake in the last year because of covid, totally gonna just fish for compliments with a few random creations I’m particularly proud of!

~~~~~~~~~~

Pfffffft there is no way you are an amateur

These are incredible !!!!

~~~~~~~~~~

This was the last time I baked but it was several months back. Not recent enough to be counted, but I wanted to share! Also the first cake I ever baked.
1618461400458.jpeg

• Love
Reactions: 15 users
Yeahhhhh trust me, it was a process... it took 7 batches of macarons in various levels of failures to finally perfect that! I was getting so mad by the end 😅
I’ve gone through several failed batches. Haven’t gotten it quite right yet. 😔

Reactions: 1 user

I’ve gone through several failed batches. Haven’t gotten it quite right yet. 😔
It’s so finicky and dumb! One day I had two trays made from the same batch and one totally cracked and the other was perfect and I literally have no idea why unless my oven wasn’t heating evenly?? I baked them one at a time, too! The biggest thing that fixed mine were making sure the macaronage is exactly at the right consistency (I was stopping too soon and not deflating it enough), and then making sure it sits out for a good while to form a really great crust before baking. I also tried slightly different ingredient weights and the preppy kitchen recipe is the one that worked best for me. He’s got a great video that has some fantastic tips too!

Reactions: 2 users
I don't know how to show the bad attitude I've been baking since birth so here's a lemon poppyseed Bundt cake I made for Easter instead

Snapchat-1228046749.jpg

• Love
  • Haha
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Made these the other day and have stress-eaten almost the whole tin for breakfasts this week (not kidding). Couldn't even be bothered to take them out of the pan and have been frosting them with a spoon as I go.

16184651861884273102563175958121.jpg

Also the knife stays in there for easy access

I would say that it very much represents my signature style
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

• Wow
Reactions: 16 users

View attachment 334853

View attachment 334854

OMG Cyndia! I’m coming over!!!

• Love
Reactions: 4 users
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Made these the other day and have stress-eaten almost the whole tin for breakfasts this week (not kidding). Couldn't even be bothered to take them out of the pan and have been frosting them with a spoon as I go.

View attachment 334892

Also the knife stays in there for easy access

I would say that it very much represents my signature style
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
This is the only way to eat brownies. I don't even frost them

This is the only way to eat brownies. I don't even frost them
My grandmother always used to frost them with chocolate frosting and then put the whole pan in the fridge, so it makes me think of her. But this week I'm just circumventing a step by keeping the frosting jar in the fridge next to the brownies. Desperate times.

• Care
unofficial entries of old tasty stuff since no time to bake last night:

18F8A9A9-9115-498D-BAF4-2173C31856DC.jpeg
9CAC8BD7-C4D9-4139-93D6-F9C87555C209.jpeg

E3E35A37-5EB0-4BE5-A407-F08774BC64BD.jpeg
F3E465AD-7F56-4238-818D-886A3BCF6A9D.jpeg
DF069917-DE49-4FD3-A689-0E09A6BBAA3C.jpeg

Last edited:
  • Love
Yeahhhhh trust me, it was a process... it took 7 batches of macarons in various levels of failures to finally perfect that! I was getting so mad by the end 😅
I’ve made macarons twice and nearly had an emotional breakdown both times
Some day I shall attempt them again!
Send me your cutout cookie recipe!!

• Care
Made Eggplant parm last summer using Egglants and basil I grew in our garden.

Pre-bake:
0394D4C4-DBE3-460B-8834-E4A95B425CE3.jpeg

post-bake:
DF301826-AD85-488C-B430-E47C29050D7D.jpeg

• Love
Reactions: 13 users
Mel Giedroyc GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

"Bakers, your time is up!*" Sue announced. The contestants looked up from their benches with a mixture of surprise, delight, or horror. Some of them gazed at their smuggled baked goods that they'd hidden under their aprons on their way into the tent, hoping to bamboozle Paul and Mary into giving them the star baker title.

It was going to be a long and difficult judging period, with such a wide variety of bakes (from fake bakes to seemingly professional chefs). Mel and Sue reminded the contestants to be patient while they waited for Paul and Mary to make their way to their bench. After all, up next was the technical, and few look forward to that challenge.

WRITE UP PENDING.

*Submissions closed at 8 AM CDT sharp, let's pretend the person in charge of BBake-Off didn't oversleep.

• Love
  • Wow
Mel Giedroyc GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

"Bakers, your time is up!*" Sue announced. The contestants looked up from their benches with a mixture of surprise, delight, or horror. Some of them gazed at their smuggled baked goods that they'd hidden under their aprons on their way into the tent, hoping to bamboozle Paul and Mary into giving them the star baker title.

It was going to be a long and difficult judging period, with such a wide variety of bakes (from fake bakes to seemingly professional chefs). Mel and Sue reminded the contestants to be patient while they waited for Paul and Mary to make their way to their bench. After all, up next was the technical, and few look forward to that challenge.

WRITE UP PENDING.

*Submissions closed at 8 AM CDT sharp, let's pretend the person in charge of BBake-Off didn't oversleep.
I forgot to post my baking... whoops

• Wow
Reactions: 3 users
Okay still going to post my bakings even though it past due, I thought baking ended later today...

EFE8F3ED-CD44-40D8-A744-5A417DB93E43.jpeg
Baked these Tuesday night and the are now basically gone, pretty much heaven on earth
C9085029-395F-4D5A-8047-A99DEE5324F6.jpeg

Some homemade lasagna and garlic bread, made it a few weeks ago and it was super delicious!
0E6142B2-1D44-455E-8426-59605DFDDC93.jpeg

At the end of my internship this past summer, the place I was at had a going away party and one of the people I worked a lot with made this super delicious and cute chocolate cake

• Love
Reactions: 9 users