Einstein vs. Cincinnati

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

iamfrench

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Been accepted at both. I'm looking for a discussion comparing the two because I am having a hard time doing it. I am an Ohio resident.

Members don't see this ad.

Been accepted at both. I'm looking for a discussion comparing the two because I am having a hard time doing it. I am an Ohio resident.

Do you want to do your residency in Cinnc? also it depends on your FA.

The CoA isn't as large of a difference as I thought it would be (approx. 10kish/yr) and Einstein has cheaper housing then the 900 allowance they give you in the CoA , and even about 4k cheaper then what they give you a cinn. so that would drop your CoA even lower and make the two schools closer in cost. Plus u don't need a car at Einstein which saves you $.

Obviously I'm biased and would say Einstein in a heart beat, but you need to calculate what your specific CoA will be for each school and whether choosing a state school that might get you connections for residency esp. if you choose a competitive field... But if you want to get out of ohio for residency and perhaps for the rest of your career, then choose Einstein, we have a great reputation across the country.

Do you want to do your residency in Cinnc? also it depends on your FA.
I am not sure where I would like to do my residency.

Now you see a large difficulty that I'm having in the comparison... cost (when factoring in housing, car, etc) isn't dramatically different. Because of the similarity in cost, part of me yells "New York, duh!"

I have noticed that current Einstein students, like yourself, seem to be much more excited about being at Einstein than current Cinci students appear about their school.

Members don't see this ad :)
Well...just to clarify. Einstein is in the Bronx. That's a good 30-45 minutes from any part of NYC you'd want to hang out in. If you're interested in academic medicine at all, I think Einstein is generally thought of to have a better reputation. Plus, if you're interested in a NYC residency, it would definitely give you a leg up at the other schools in the area.

Otherwise, if cost is a big issue and you want to end up in the Mid-West anyway...Cincinnati is certainly not a bad choice.

Go where you think you'll be happiest and the rest will follow.

I am not sure where I would like to do my residency.

Now you see a large difficulty that I'm having in the comparison... cost (when factoring in housing, car, etc) isn't dramatically different. Because of the similarity in cost, part of me yells "New York, duh!"

I have noticed that current Einstein students, like yourself, seem to be much more excited about being at Einstein than current Cinci students appear about their school.

I initially chose Einstein b/c of the fin. package, i just got lucky that i ended up falling in love with the place when i came into the community, met my first year classmates, and even second third and fourth years. Everyone was welcoming, the teachers were great, and i found great access to mentors in the fields I was interested in. That being said, could I say that retrospectively Einstein should have been a no brainer from the start? I'm not sure, even though i seem the least stressed out of my friends in med school they all seem to have a great affinity for where they are attending and I can find positive attributes to each school (my friend at vandy said their average board scores are like 240's so they MUST be doing something right...).

By talking to other people at other schools Einstein is definitely one of the more relaxed and no stress cirriculums - take only two academic classes at once- only 65% to pass while most exam averages are in the 80's with a std of like 8 (so almost everyone passes) but it takes a motivated person to be here because while yes you can pass with a 65%, if you are only "just passing" with around 70%'s on the exams you probably won't do so hot on boards. Exams seem more relevant then other schools, not much of random memorization of facts that only serve you for the class and not for the boards. I started gunner training (board review program) and I found Einstein's cirriculum covers almost everything on their for the basic science cirriculum, even the drug examples. This year for the second time in like twenty years everybody passed anatomy all like 180 of us (that includes the MSTPs) :thumbup: here you work with your class as team mates to learn the material and the second years are always there helping guide you along. It's nice.

Well...just to clarify. Einstein is in the Bronx. That's a good 30-45 minutes from any part of NYC you'd want to hang out in. If you're interested in academic medicine at all, I think Einstein is generally thought of to have a better reputation. Plus, if you're interested in a NYC residency, it would definitely give you a leg up at the other schools in the area.

Otherwise, if cost is a big issue and you want to end up in the Mid-West anyway...Cincinnati is certainly not a bad choice.

Go where you think you'll be happiest and the rest will follow.

mdeast is right that we are about 30 min from midtown if you go during the weekdays or about 45 min if you go late at night like past 10pm or so.

If you want a quick ride home late at night you can grab a cab for 30 bucks (negotiated before you get in) if you split it with 3 people it isn't bad at all.

Einstein may seem expensive for cost of living because of the area its actually the exact opposite.
Because you aren't directly in NYC your cost of living is actually dirt cheap here. Pathmark which is the grocery store next to the school is VERY cheap (just got pork chops for 1.40/lb, whole chicken 1.00/lb). There is a great deli right next to school, fresh and good can grab sandwich for around $4.50 if you want a hero foot long it is about $6. Cheap chinese, italian (LOTS of italian), the mexican is place taco sueno is decent depending on how high your expectations are (coming from cali i am used to really good mexican food). Our rent as already stated multiple times is a complete steal, and that includes all utilities and internet, so go ahead and blast that AC during the summer all day long. You don't need to pay for transportation either as I stated, einstein provides either shuttles or personal taxi's to get you from the school to your clinical sites and back. During our breaks they run a shuttle service straight to the airports incase you are short on time (takes about an hour-1/2 if you go by public transit).

But remember this is the bronx not the upper east side so don't expect whole foods quality food stores, if you want that you'll need to swing into the city.

Pls PM me with any questions.

Status
Not open for further replies.