Drexel MSP

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
another day and no letter, no e-mail, and no phone call!!!!!!!!

Has anyone else, except Drsumdae, been accepted to the MSP program for the Fall of '07????????????????

Members don't see this ad.

Has anyone else, except Drsumdae, been accepted to the MSP program for the Fall of '07????????????????

Hardwork, don't worry. I'm sure things will come through. I interviewed two weeks ago and I still haven't heard anything. However, if indeed the committee hasn't met yet then perhaps there is still a chance that they haven't decided who they'll let into the MSP program yet. I hope we'll hear soon as I am very excited about this program.:)

Not that I know of :( I wish they would move along with the process....

But, don't be discouraged! If they said your file has not been reviewed yet, that just means that they probably dont' have enough files to take to the committee yet. I think that everyone who has had an interview already has a great shot at acceptance to the program. But, I know you really want to know what you will be doing next fall!

I've moved on to the "already accepted worries" such as: I'm worried about what kind of roommate(s) I'm going to get, What the profs will be like, how much financial aid I'm going to get, how I'm going to pay for furniture to furnish my apartment.....lol. Those are much "better" worries than "What am I going to be doing this fall??"

No, There is no guareentee that you will get into DUCOM, but if your grades and MCAT score are good enough, you will get an interview.

Members don't see this ad :)
So, i just sent in my deposit for the MSP program :hardy:
Did you ever recieve a financial aid form from Drexel? I got one today...I called the admissions office to see how I could fill it out but the contact person was out to lunch.

Did you ever recieve a financial aid form from Drexel? I got one today...I called the admissions office to see how I could fill it out but the contact person was out to lunch.

I did. They actually sent it to me x3, lol. I filled it out and faxed it back to them. (if you fax it...call the # on the form to make sure they got it).

I called Drexel's MSP office today to see if there was a decision made, and after 4 or 5 times calling Chris finally picked up and told me that my file, along with others that were interviewed in the past 3-4 weeks, went through the first committee meeting un-reviewed!! :( He said that the committee is going to meet again and that I would hear back in 4-5 weeks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :mad:

This uncertainty is killing me.

Good luck everyone!

do you remember if you got the form before or after you got into the program...by the way, what did you put in the box that asked for the date of graduation?

where are we suppose to live then? WHERE????????? That leaves us one month to find a place! (if we get in)

do you remember if you got the form before or after you got into the program...by the way, what did you put in the box that asked for the date of graduation?

I got the form before I got accepted. I put 2008 b/c the MSP program is only 1 year, even though I plan on doing the IMS program.

I was told that I'm still up for the interview I tried to have with someone at the office way back in feb/march?! considering that I already had my DPMS interview, I thought that was confusing.It seems I'm still a candidate for the MSP program after all, which is great. more chances for me to get into a program :)

I got into the IMS just yesterday, I called them. They said "you didn't get a call, or an email, or anything in the mail, cuz you've been accepted."

I said i missed a call from Hahhnamemananamama Hospital but i didn't get a voicemail.

My stats 2.87 cum/science GPA. 29M 8 Verbal/10Phs/11 Bio.

Truthfully, i'm not sure if i'm going to go. i have a lot to consider.

I dont remember when i interviewed, when i turned in the apps, i just remember it was Chris that interviewed. I didnt think the interview went well at all, but i guess so.

Good luck.

so who needs a roomie?

i'll likely be going, and i just want a clean/quiet place to come home to.

I'm just gonna study my ass off once in my life and get this whole school thing right.

:scared: Still waiting. I have not recieved any call.

Chris says it will be 3-4 weeks. I am so anxious to know where I will be for the next year. :scared:

Members don't see this ad :)
so who needs a roomie?

i'll likely be going, and i just want a clean/quiet place to come home to.

I'm just gonna study my ass off once in my life and get this whole school thing right.

That is the kind of roomie I want! But, don't forget to have *some* fun. I plan on brining my DVDs and boy scout popcorn and probably some board games (like LIFE...I love that game! :rolleyes: )

okay so I am kinda late with the financial aid, but what number do we put in for the code for the medical school? I tried putting in the number they said on the website, but it did not work. Do we put Drexel university?

DREXEL UNIVERSITY
3141 CHESTNUT STREET
PHILADELPHIA
Federal School Code: 003256

Is this the federal school code we use? Or is there a way to get graduate schools?
Thanks

Hass,
That is the correct code :)

Anyone here from California? And, with regards to apartments, what area do Drexel Health Sciences students usually live? Anyone making apartment hunting trips soon?

:)

The Center City campus is where all the health sciences programs are (that I am aware of). The campus is directly off of the Vine st Expressway (I believe it is the exit for Broad St). The hospital, administrative and teaching buildings are to the south of the expressway and the graduate housing is to the the north of the expressway. The graduate housing building is called Stiles Alumni Hall. I hope that helps.

wow, that's really thorough:) thanks!
are you from around that area?

i've been hearing that grad dorms are not the prime living situation right now--thoughts?

wow, that's really thorough:) thanks!
are you from around that area?

i've been hearing that grad dorms are not the prime living situation right now--thoughts?

I am not from the Philly area, but I visited the city last a few weeks ago. :)

I think it really depends on the city. I certainly wouldn't consider the Drexel grad housing as prime living b/c the apartments are very small, but the location is great. I don't know if I will continue to live in the grad housing for the 2nd year of the program.

i got an interview!!! :D
can anyone tell me what kind of questions they ask? my interview is with marlon. also how long does it take to hear back?

thanks guy

are there any areas to avoid (wrt safety) or, conversely, to try to stay within for social/things-to-do-in-the-area reasons?

wchen,

i'm from Cali. SF and Sac (school).

I'm going to philly for a few days. gonna check the city out, mostly looking for a nice place to live with easy access to the necessities.

So I just called Drexel and scheduled an interview w/ chris this Friday. I was told I would receive a call but couldn't wait!

hi trueth!

when do you plan on going?

hey guys,

This is my first SDN post ever so forgive me if I'm not doing it correctly....

I want to apply to Drexel's IMS program and some other SMP's, but I was wondering if it was too late to apply now- I originally told myself that I would just go to the caribbean if I didn't get in for the Fall 2007 class, but now I'm reconsidering. If I apply to SMP programs now, should I wait until I get in to turn in my AMCAS application? I have all my recs, MCAT scores, and transcripts from applying for the Fall 2007 class, so I could turn my app in this week, and be complete by next week.

I have a 3.39 GPA/2.99 Science GPA, and a 29 MCAT. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Rheezy,

The deadline is July 13th, so technically it is not too late to apply. You should give it a shot. Maybe give them a call and ask if the class is almost full or not?

hey guys,

I want to apply to Drexel's IMS program and some other SMP's, but I was wondering if it was too late to apply now- I originally told myself that I would just go to the caribbean if I didn't get in for the Fall 2007 class, but now I'm reconsidering. If I apply to SMP programs now, should I wait until I get in to turn in my AMCAS application? I have all my recs, MCAT scores, and transcripts from applying for the Fall 2007 class, so I could turn my app in this week, and be complete by next week.

I have a 3.39 GPA/2.99 Science GPA, and a 29 MCAT. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Yup you have about a month and 1/2 before the deadline to send in your application. I also know that their admission office isn't that efficient in processing student applications. So sending in your application early would probably help you out a lot. And, I've heard that sometimes the office messes up on on the recommemdation forms if they were sent separately. If you all the the required forms with you, i.e., your sealed evaluation letters (3 in total) you can attach them along with your application and send them all to Drexel in one big envelope. Also, call back within a week to check the status of your application. Good luck, though your stats look very attractive I don't think you should have any problems getting into the program...Let us know your good news soon!

hey guys,

Hi Rheezy..
i am in a bit of a similar situation.. thought i'd just go caribbean if i didn't get in and then looked into postbaccs. i think the thing to be aware of is that even doing a postbacc will not guarantee acceptance into the next fall class.. by going postbacc you have to almost commit to the possibility it will be another 2 years before beginning med school.
also, as someone will slightly similar stats (my overall gpa is a bit lower than yours, mcat a few points higher), i am on hold at gtown and ucinn and waiting to hear post-interview from drexel. i applied back in feb.
from talking to other people who have done postbaccs in the past, the feeling i am getting is that they too, are selective and try to choose people who are borderline in terms of medical admissions. because those are the people that will be successful in applying - increasing their own programs stats.

anyways, there are a lot of things to weigh and balance.. it really depends on your situation. i'm still undecided myself.
but postbaccs are great in helping boost your app and i think (esp with drexel) you have a good shot since they seem to still be in the early stages. but get things in as soon as possible! :)

Thanks so much for the advice! I will be turning my application in tomm at the latest for Drexel's program and will keep you guys updated on what happens....

mlcal06- After talking to couple other people, I have definitely decided to wait to apply to medical schools until next year, which means that I will definitely be taking another 2 years off. I was bummed at first, but at least I'll have a better shot at the good residencies as compared to going to the Carribbean!

Hey everyone,
I've been reading through this thread for the past.. ehh 3 hours, and so far it has sparked quite a few neurons... However, I now have a question of my own. I recently graduated with a degree in Medical Laboratory Science with Cum GPA: 2.86 and Science: ~3.0 and have not taken my MCATs as of this moment. I am currently working as a Clinical Laboratory Scientist in Boston and my plan was to take classes--preferrably the pre-med req's I missed; A+P, Organic 2, and Physics 2--at a post-bacc school and, of course, ACE them. The school I had in mind was Harvard Ext. Moreover, what I wanted to know was how this post-bacc thing actually works. For example, can I register for any class I want on my own? and along with that, does the GPA of the classes taken get factored into my undergrad GPA, thus, increasing it? Also, do places like Drexel want to see students take a formal post-bacc program, or will they also like my situation where I take the NEEDED courses to finish the pre-med req's and do well?

Oh and I'm interested in any other programs like Drexel for reference if anyone happens to know a few..

Thanks! :)

Did you have a successful trip???

Successful is relative.

It was rushed because of the acceptance deadline. But i felt like i got alot out of meeting with some IMS students, administration.

The program seems to be successful in getting hard working students into med school.

Stiles is cool, some good, some bad. The bad is the size, it is very small. The price is about even with the location, really clean, 24 hr security, really close.

Philly isn't a place to come to for fun, its a place to work. Which is fine with me.

Hey all just had my interview this morning

Hey everyone,
Congrats to the people who have gotten into one of these programs and good luck to those who are still waiting. In my case, I applied to both the DPMS and MSP programs. I heard about 2 weeks ago that my file was being reviewed, but I haven't received any calls from anyone at the program. I know I'm ahead of the deadline for MSP, but I'm not sure what chances I have for the DPMS program at this point. I guess it's just a matter of waiting...

Hi Everyone!

I just wanted to say thank you for the support, but I will not be going to Drexel next year--that's another spot for any of you who applied for IMS!

Best wishes!!!

Anyone else get accepted to the MSP program yet?????

I got another call from the "other" Chris last tuesday. It sounded like they were reviewing my file because they wanted to know what my grades were for Genetics and Physics II. These were classes i recently completed this past year and i had sent them my transcripts with the grades of these classes on them. They should have recieved these grades already. i had another transcript re-mailed to them.

Do u think that they wanted to know those grades becaused im being compared to other students or because they just wanted to make sure i didn't fail those courses?

My application was accepted and recognized as being complete by the end of this past Feb.

Overall GPA: 3.4
Science GPA: 3.46
GRE score: 1020

Anyone else get accepted to the MSP program yet?????

I got another call from the "other" Chris last tuesday. It sounded like they were reviewing my file because they wanted to know what my grades were for Genetics and Physics II. These were classes i recently completed this past year and i had sent them my transcripts with the grades of these classes on them. They should have recieved these grades already. i had another transcript re-mailed to them.

Do u think that they wanted to know those grades becaused im being compared to other students or because they just wanted to make sure i didn't fail those courses?

Probably both. I hope you get an answer, soon. :luck:

Hey guys,

I am still keeping my finger and toes crossed waiting to hear something. I have seen a few people posting that are doing the same (I think its all of us that interviewed in early May). :)

In case anyone has questions about the area/ living in Philly etc... I am from Philly and have been living here most of my life so I can be a resource for questions for the out-of-towners.

Interested in buying property in Philly, somewhere where it is easy for me to commute to school. Interested in a family oriented community not in the city. If you have any suggestion, please post them.

Any suggestion welcome!!

sunkis,

what program at drexel are you in for this coming fall?

hopefully the DPMS program

Well....my suspicions were right about the DPMS program, but there's still a good chance that the MSP program is within reach. For anyone who's had the interview already, what type of questions do they ask? I'm just wondering if it's a broad range or based solely on your grades.

Well....my suspicions were right about the DPMS program, but there's still a good chance that the MSP program is within reach. For anyone who's had the interview already, what type of questions do they ask? I'm just wondering if it's a broad range or based solely on your grades.

If you do a search in this thread you will find a lot of interview questions :) That is what I did. I don't remember all the questions they asked.

It is quite informal, tho. I was asked about my college activities and my medical experience and where I see healthcare going in the future. He also asked me what kind of medicine I was interested in. That is all I can remember, I hope that helps! good luck! :luck:

tO ADD TO THE LIST, HE ASKED ABOUT MY STRENGTHS AND WEAKNESSES...

Bump

anybody get any phone calls similar to me or letters in the mail or ANYTHING from the drexel admissions office lately?

Anyone out there, except Drsumdae, been accepted to the MSP progam?

I only care about the MSP applicants no one else.