Drexel MSP

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I'm moving into Stiles a week early, on July 28th. I have to be in DC the weekend of actual move in, so I can't make it, but I had no problem getting everything settled. Michele was really helpful and said she would have a key waiting at the desk when I arrived. The only thing is that they charge $30/ day for early move in. If anyone else is planning on moving to Philly earlier than aug 4th, let me know! I'll be around :)

Hey alm....I may be around early, too. I will not be moving in to the building utnil the 4th but I will more than likely be in the area.

Members don't see this ad.

hi

im going to be in the msp program and am starting to freak out a bit because i have received absolutely nothing in the mail with the exception of the acceptance letter. i was abroad until last night and was in contact with someone at the office through email, who said that i am in the system.

does anyone know when the first tuition deadline is? im having nightmares of having missed a deadline, which isnt helping the delhi belly i contracted abroad . . . thanks so much

I just checked my drexel email and I got an automated email from the bursar saying that my Billing Statement was available on the portal. The due date on that statement says 8/8/07...**BUT** all the statement shows is that they credited my $500 deposit to my bill, so be on the look out for that. I actually noticed that this was the case a few days ago when I was looking through the links on the portal, but now I have an actual bill to go along w/it.
Also, I got info from AES saying that my loans will be disbursed on July 26th....I know most if not all of you have not recieved your finaid info yet (GRRR), but once u get it...the process of signing to MPNs and doing the entrance interviews is very quick.

I hope that helps crumbelievable...I have not heard anyone actually say "the deadline is....."

I was told by Bursar (215-991-8268) that our tuition bill is due the first week of our classes (Aug 13) after we register for classes.

Also, in the acceptance letter we were told our classes begin on Aug. 13, but when I looked at our courses online, under Term Master Schedule, if you click on CRN it says our classes start on Aug. 27. Any opinions?

I just checked my drexel email and I got an automated email from the bursar saying that my Billing Statement was available on the portal. The due date on that statement says 8/8/07...**BUT** all the statement shows is that they credited my $500 deposit to my bill, so be on the look out for that. I actually noticed that this was the case a few days ago when I was looking through the links on the portal, but now I have an actual bill to go along w/it.
Also, I got info from AES saying that my loans will be disbursed on July 26th....I know most if not all of you have not recieved your finaid info yet (GRRR), but once u get it...the process of signing to MPNs and doing the entrance interviews is very quick.

I hope that helps crumbelievable...I have not heard anyone actually say "the deadline is....."

Members don't see this ad :)
I was told by Bursar (215-991-8268) that our tuition bill is due the first week of our classes (Aug 13) after we register for classes.

Also, in the acceptance letter we were told our classes begin on Aug. 13, but when I looked at our courses online, under Term Master Schedule, if you click on CRN it says our classes start on Aug. 27. Any opinions?

That is wrong. Someone (i forget who) called Drexel and found out that the class listings are not accurate on the portal.

I would definitely be careful about believing the stuff that's posted on DrexelOne Portal. Just make sure though to get your accounts set up (if possible) in order to check email when it comes through since DrSumdae mentioned how important it can be with regards to financial aid!

for everyone who is moving in early and doesn't want to sit in Stiles staring at the wall until classes start :( I'll be around...
I live here so I can play tour guide for the day if a bunch of you want to get together
pm me if ur interested

I would definitely be careful about believing the stuff that's posted on DrexelOne Portal. Just make sure though to get your accounts set up (if possible) in order to check email when it comes through since DrSumdae mentioned how important it can be with regards to financial aid!

Hey everyone,
There was an email sent out from the admin. office. Here's a copy of it if you didn't get it...

MSP Program: As a reminder, Orientation begins on Monday, August 13, 2007 at 8:30 am with a continental breakfast. Orientation will be held in Lecture Hall B (LHB) of the New College Building (Center City Campus…245 North 15th Street…between Race and Vine Streets). Upon entering the building, you will need to sign-in with the Security Guard at the desk. Please know that during orientation, you will have your photograph taken so that you can receive a Drexel University ID card. Your ID card will ONLY be issued to those students who have completed all matriculation requirements (submitted a signed and documented Immunization Form, an Official Final Transcript from all colleges/universities/professional schools attended, an Official Final MCAT/GRE score report, as well as the Personal Data Form). Once you receive your University ID card (tentatively scheduled to be distributed during the week of August 20th), you will no longer have to sign-in with the Security Guard at the front desk. Instead, you will be required to show your University ID card upon entry to the building. In addition, without the documents listed, you will NOT be permitted to attend class on Monday and thereafter, until all matriculation items have been received by our office. Lastly, once you have submitted your $500.00 deposit to our office, you have the ability to log onto your Drexel email account. In order to do so, please log onto www.drexel.edu/computeraccounts. Follow the directions on the page and you will have access to the Drexel One Portal.

Hello everyone,

I'm thinking about working part-time while in the MSP program? Does anyone who might hire right away, or is this a completely bad idea?

I think it is a bad idea.

However, if I were to work part-time, I would work in the Hahnemann library. It is a good job and you get flexible hours... not sure what the pay is.

Overall... you want to do the best you can during your time in a post-Bacc. If you can work and do well, then the more power to you. If you think it may compromise your grades... then don't.

Cheers,
WISC-ite

Thanks Wisc-ite. I'm still debating it though.

These are the following books for the MSP program -1st semester. Can someone double check please. Hope this helps everyone.

Advanced Topics in Chemistry I: I haven't heard anything from the professor, but hardwork732 says we'll be using the professors' notes which would be awesome.

Advanced Topics in Physics I: Does anyone know? Dr. Soslau said he wasn't teaching this course, so I don't know who is. But according to hardwork732 the text is Serway/Faughn's College Physics (volume 1) 7th edition.

Lab Techniques in Biochemistry and Molecular Biology: No text; confirmed by Dr. Soslau

Concepts in Biochemistry and Cell Biology: Confirmed by Dr. McKenzie in the following message.

1. The book I plan to use is "Molecular Cell Biology, fifth edition" by
Lodish et. Al. Lodish just came out with a sixth edition, but I spent a
lot of time last year preparing the PowerPoint slides for the fifth
edition, and so plan on using that this year. The ISBN is: 0-7167-4366-3

Graduate Pharmacology: Confirmed by Dr. Nichols

1. Pharmacology, 6th Edition, Rang, H.P., Dale, M.M., Ritter, J.M. and Flower, R. (Eds.), Churchill Livingstone (Harcourt), New York, 2007. ISBN 0-443-06911-4.

2. Lippincott’s Illustrated Reviews: Pharmacology, 3rd Edition, Harvey, R.A. and Champe P.C. (Eds.), Lippincott Williams & Wilkins, Philadelphia, 2005. ISBN 978-0-7817-4118-7

3. Drug Charts in Basic Pharmacology, 2nd Edition, Baum, J.D., Ferko, A.P., DiGregorio, G.J., Barbieri, E.J. and DiPalma, J.R., Medical Surveillance Inc., West Chester, 1998. ISBN 0-942447-26-3.

Community Dimension of Medicine: No text; confirmed by Prof. Walker.

MCAT Preparatory Course: I'm assuming they give us the texts; hopefully.

any word fellow waitlisters....

OK, So i'm posting in this thread rather than the IMS because it relates to everyone and this thread has higher responses.

Regarding Financial AID:

So far I've gotten the notice via the ONE.DREXEL portal that i've gotten the 20,500 in Stafford loans.
I actually have NOT recieved the paperwork for the Award package, but i assume its on its way since its only been about a week since my aid was awarded.
I did the counseling and signed the MPN.

BUT later decided to switch lenders from EDAmerica to Wachovia because wachovia offers better incentives during repayment by a significant margin (interest reduction of 3.5% towards the priniciple balance vs. 2% reduction (unsure if credited to prinicple or interest) from EdAmerica). With the amount of money i'll be borrowing, its worth the extra effort to get the best rate possible.

So my old loan app was cancelled and a new one with Wachovia will be processed.

I AM TOLD: to wait for AES to ask me to redo the entrance counseling and resign the new MPN. At that point the loan will then get credited to my Drexel account and i can either have that credit sent to me via paper check or auto debit (setup through the brusars' office)

For the GRAD PLUS Loan: I've decided to continue with wachovia because they of there incentives again. I'll be faxing in my Request Form for Federal PLUS loan, with a writte in Wachovia as the preffered lender. At that point, i'll wait for AES again to contact me.

Is this all parallel to what others are doing (in terms of process, not lender)?
Are we on schedule to get the money before we get slammed with bills?

Hope everyone is handling the finances better than I, cuz its got me really nervous.

OK, So i'm posting in this thread rather than the IMS because it relates to everyone and this thread has higher responses.

Regarding Financial AID:

So far I've gotten the notice via the ONE.DREXEL portal that i've gotten the 20,500 in Stafford loans.
I actually have NOT recieved the paperwork for the Award package, but i assume its on its way since its only been about a week since my aid was awarded.

BUT later decided to switch lenders from EDAmerica to Wachovia because wachovia offers better incentives during repayment by a significant margin (interest reduction of 3.5% towards the priniciple balance vs. 2% reduction (unsure if credited to prinicple or interest) from EdAmerica). With the amount of money i'll be borrowing, its worth the extra effort to get the best rate possible.

I AM TOLD: to wait for AES to ask me to redo the entrance counseling and resign the new MPN. At that point the loan will then get credited to my Drexel account and i can either have that credit sent to me via paper check or auto debit (setup through the brusars' office)

For the GRAD PLUS Loan: I've decided to continue with wachovia because they of there incentives again. I'll be faxing in my Request Form for Federal PLUS loan, with a writte in Wachovia as the preffered lender. At that point, i'll wait for AES again to contact me.

Is this all parallel to what others are doing (in terms of process, not lender)?

Hope everyone is handling the finances better than I, cuz its got me really nervous.

Hey truth,

It seems that many people (including myself) are still waiting to hear something from the fin. aid office. There are a random few that have received their packages. If you check out our page on facebook, some people have posted info there as well!

Members don't see this ad :)

Regarding Financial AID:

That is what I did :) My money is *supposed* to be disbursed July 26th.

Hey truth,

It seems that many people (including myself) are still waiting to hear something from the fin. aid office. There are a random few that have received their packages. If you check out our page on facebook, some people have posted info there as well!

thanks

Hi everyone!
just wanted to say THANK YOu to everyone who updated on this forum. i read from post 1 all the way through the last post, and wished that i found out about this sooner. you guys are awesome! ;)

so after talking with Danielle, i emailed our biochem professor to ask if i could use the fourth edition of the Lodish et. al book (i used the fourth edition during undergrad). This is what he said...

Unfortunately, Lodish et. al made extensive revision of the text between the fourth and fifth editions. I tried to stick with the fourth for several years, but found the publisher no longer could supply it, so I spent a huge amount of time last fall making PowerPoint slides for the fifth edition. Worse yet, they have now just published the sixth edition which is very different again -- but I'm still using the fifth.

ALSO, just fyi..you can have your books mailed to Stiles so that you don't have to go through the trouble of packing your books with you. Stiles said that they'll keep it for you until you get there.
The mailing address for Stiles is: 325 North #15 St. Apartment (????)
Philadelphia, PA 19102

see you guys soon! :thumbup:

So are most people signing up with Chickering?

I've had a friend whos an MSII now, tell me how terrible they are. They dont cover routine vaccinations, regular testing is like 300 bucks, not cover the HPV vacc which almost everyone does, and the 2500 per year is way more than most insurance.

I definately need better coverage, especially at that price. I wouldn't mind the price if it was fantastic coverage but its not, in facts its piss poor.

I'm from Cali so I'm totally unfamiliar with east coast plans. I prefer HMO for the easy preventative visits.

So are most people signing up with Chickering?

I've had a friend whos an MSII now, tell me how terrible they are. They dont cover routine vaccinations, regular testing is like 300 bucks, not cover the HPV vacc which almost everyone does, and the 2500 per year is way more than most insurance.

I definately need better coverage, especially at that price. I wouldn't mind the price if it was fantastic coverage but its not, in facts its piss poor.

I'm from Cali so I'm totally unfamiliar with east coast plans. I prefer HMO for the easy preventative visits.

Anthem BCBS offers a variety of plans.
Check out www.ehealthinsurance.com, too.

I was just recently accepted into the IMS program, therefore I don't know where I will be living this coming semester...So I was wondering if anyone is still looking for a roommate, this will really solve many of my problems because I am not from around the area, and I dont have time to go around and check out different places. Please, please, let me know as soon as possible by providing email address or phone number. Thank you.

are most msp students buying their books before classes?

I've done so myself, but others seem more comfortable waiting to hear from the actual profs. or admins. until the day of orientation.

I was just recently accepted into the IMS program, therefore I don't know where I will be living this coming semester...So I was wondering if anyone is still looking for a roommate, this will really solve many of my problems because I am not from around the area, and I dont have time to go around and check out different places. Please, please, let me know as soon as possible by providing email address or phone number. Thank you.

Gamble, you might also want to check out the groups for MSP and IMS on facebook to see if anyone there is looking for a roommate. Good luck!

for everyone living in stiles, did you get the meningococcal vaccine? isn't it optional? where did you get it and how much. also, r ppl just filling out the fafsa and applying for additional loans? if so what loans? thanx

for everyone living in stiles, did you get the meningococcal vaccine? isn't it optional? where did you get it and how much. also, r ppl just filling out the fafsa and applying for additional loans? if so what loans? thanx

I think you do need the vaccine for Stiles. You can probably get it done at Drexel. Or, call your doc office and find out how much it might cost, or find a clinic w/a sliding scale.

I filled out the FAFSA and was able to get the the Stafford loans and GradPLUS loan.
They will award you the full amount of the Staffords, first, and then tell you what else you are eligible for. There is a lot of FinAid "tidbits" in previous posts on this thread, too.

I was told by people in the admin. office that the meningococcal vaccine was required for everyone whether you live in Stiles or not. Since neither my doctor nor the health department for my state offered the vaccine, I consulted my health insurance company. I was directed to a specific place here in NY that offers it, but it was a $135 out of pocket expense because it wasn't covered by my insurance.

I find it hard to believe that they would require an unneccessary vaccine if your not living in the stiles building...they can't require us to get vaccinated for something if we aren't living on school grounds. Living in off-campus housing with only one or two roommates is no different then some of current living situations now.

I do understand that they require the vaccination if you are living on school grounds because you will be living in a dormitory with so many different people.

Don't rely so much on what people say from the admissions office...you will get several different answers depending on who you talk to.

i've got too much to worry about other than another vaccine.

maybe if i had my fin aid money, i'd be more willing. but until then, i'm coloring outside the line.

i'm trying to waive the insurance on the chickering website but after i enter my drexel id number and birthday to begin the enroll/waive process, it gives me this message...

"We're sorry but the number you've entered does not match any number we have on file. Please try again or if you feel this to be in error contact: Chickering Customer Service Department 877-409-7361"

...so i call and the representative tells me that they don't get student information until after i register for classes.

...but i'm supposed to waive/enroll and have proof of insurance by then, no??

so now i am confused and just wanted to see what anyone had to say before i call drexel and potentially get the run around....

many thanks

Last edited:
what is the correct deadline for waiving health insurance? ive heard about 3 different dates from sources (September 1, October 1, October 14)? thanks

i'm trying to waive the insurance on the chickering website but after i enter my drexel id number and birthday to begin the enroll/waive process, it gives me this message...

"We're sorry but the number you've entered does not match any number we have on file. Please try again or if you feel this to be in error contact: Chickering Customer Service Department 877-409-7361"

...so i call and the representative tells me that they don't get student information until after i register for classes.

...but i'm supposed to waive/enroll and have proof of insurance by then, no??

so now i am confused and just wanted to see what anyone had to say before i call drexel and potentially get the run around....

many thanks,
anna

I got that message too before Drexel gave over my info to them. If you don't mind me asking, when were you accepted? If you were accepted later, they may not have given over your info just yet...

what is the correct deadline for waiving health insurance? ive heard about 3 different dates from sources (September 1, October 1, October 14)? thanks

I would ask at orientation just to be safe...

this was in my acceptance email (rec'd July 6):

Your immunization report, proof of health insurance if applicable, final official transcripts, and test scores must be returned to our office by July 20, 2007.

...but thanks for easing my worries!

and dr. pinky, thanks for the weblinks!!

how will we know where the chemistry class is on monday...hopefully at the front desk??

For people bringing cars, what are your plans regarding parking? :confused:

this was in my acceptance email (rec'd July 6):

Your immunization report, proof of health insurance if applicable, final official transcripts, and test scores must be returned to our office by July 20, 2007.

...but thanks for easing my worries!

and dr. pinky, thanks for the weblinks!!

how will we know where the chemistry class is on monday...hopefully at the front desk??

We won't be having class on Monday. We will only be having orientation.
I've put a copy of the official email they just sent out below:

August 9, 2007

Dear Incoming MSP/MLAS/IHS program students:

As a reminder, Orientation begins on Monday, August 13, 2007 at 11:00 a.m., lunch will be provided. Orientation will be held in Lecture Hall B (LHB) of the New College Building (Center City Campus…245 North 15th Street…between Race and Vine Streets). Upon entering the building, you will need to sign-in with the Security Guard at the desk. Please know that during orientation, all new incoming program students will have your photograph taken so that you can receive a Drexel University ID card. Your ID card will ONLY be issued to those students who have completed all matriculation requirements (submitted a signed and documented Immunization Form, an Official Final Transcript from all colleges/universities/professional schools attended, an Official Final MCAT score report, as well as the Personal Data Form). Once you receive your University ID card (tentatively scheduled to be distributed during the week of August 20th), you will no longer have to sign-in with the Security Guard at the front desk. Instead, you will be required to show your University ID card upon entry to the building. Lastly, once you have submitted your $500.00 deposit to our office, you have the ability to log onto your Drexel email account. In order to do so, please log onto www.drexel.edu/computeraccounts. Follow the directions on the page and you will have access to the Drexel One Portal.

Please remember that this orientation event is mandatory in attendance, so we expect to see all of you there. If there is some sort of an issue with your attendance at this event, please send an email with an explanation to Joy Henderson, Coordinator of Admissions and Recruitment, at [email protected]. If you have any other concerns or questions, please send an email to [email protected].

Additionally, the 2007-2008 Policies and Procedures Student Handbook is posted at http://webcampus.drexelmed.edu/MedicalScience/Orientation/default.htm. As a student in the Program, you will need to be aware of the information provided in this handbook.

Have a great week and weekend and we look forward to welcoming you into our programs next week!

Sincerely,

Laura Mangano

Hey all,
Please keep an eye on the schedule on a regular basis throughout the semester. I was talking w/some IMSers in the Finaid office today and they had an issue this week w/class times.
Also, the admin office said that we will NOT be having class on Monday, just the orientation - that info was direct from Laura Mangano in the admin office. The schedule at webcampus.drexelmed.edu has not been updated as of yet.
See you all soon :)

im a little confused
do we have to enroll for insurance through chickering.com on our own? we're not automatically enrolled into the school's insurance like we were in undergrad?

im a little confused
do we have to enroll for insurance through chickering.com on our own? we're not automatically enrolled into the school's insurance like we were in undergrad?

If you plan on using the school insurance, than, yes, enroll at www.chickering.com. The deadline is Sept 30th. If you already have an insurance plan than you need to waive the chickering plan (also at www.chickering.com) If you don't waive the plan by the deadline, the school will automatically charge your account and sign you up for a plan.

The following link is Drexel's website about the health insurance policy:
http://www.drexel.edu/cchc/studentlife/Student_Resources/Student_Health_Insurance_Program/
Please note the contact person, Adriane; she is very helpful. :)

We won't be having class on Monday. We will only be having orientation.
I've put a copy of the official email they just sent out below:

August 9, 2007

Dear Incoming MSP/MLAS/IHS program students:

As a reminder, Orientation begins on Monday, August 13, 2007 at 11:00 a.m., lunch will be provided. Orientation will be held in Lecture Hall B (LHB) of the New College Building (Center City Campus…245 North 15th Street…between Race and Vine Streets). Upon entering the building, you will need to sign-in with the Security Guard at the desk. Please know that during orientation, all new incoming program students will have your photograph taken so that you can receive a Drexel University ID card. Your ID card will ONLY be issued to those students who have completed all matriculation requirements (submitted a signed and documented Immunization Form, an Official Final Transcript from all colleges/universities/professional schools attended, an Official Final MCAT score report, as well as the Personal Data Form). Once you receive your University ID card (tentatively scheduled to be distributed during the week of August 20th), you will no longer have to sign-in with the Security Guard at the front desk. Instead, you will be required to show your University ID card upon entry to the building. Lastly, once you have submitted your $500.00 deposit to our office, you have the ability to log onto your Drexel email account. In order to do so, please log onto www.drexel.edu/computeraccounts. Follow the directions on the page and you will have access to the Drexel One Portal.

Please remember that this orientation event is mandatory in attendance, so we expect to see all of you there. If there is some sort of an issue with your attendance at this event, please send an email with an explanation to Joy Henderson, Coordinator of Admissions and Recruitment, at [email protected]. If you have any other concerns or questions, please send an email to [email protected].

Additionally, the 2007-2008 Policies and Procedures Student Handbook is posted at http://webcampus.drexelmed.edu/MedicalScience/Orientation/default.htm. As a student in the Program, you will need to be aware of the information provided in this handbook.

Have a great week and weekend and we look forward to welcoming you into our programs next week!

Sincerely,

Laura Mangano

so the email i received in July about orientation beginning at 8.00 on August 13 was incorrect? we don't start until 11 am tomorrow???
thanks

i know there hasn't been any activity in this thread since august, but i was wondering how the program was going thus far. can anyone describe a typical day in their schedule? also, more generally, does anyone know the average increase in mcat scores one can reasonably expect at the conclusion of the program?

hey everyone, im thinking about applying to the msp program. is it too early? and for everyone currently in the program how is everyone adjusting to the workload and their overall impressions of it so far? thanks!

does anyone know of a website that have a course description for the courses in the MSP program, such as credit hours, name of courses, etc?