DMU........Self-proclaimed Super Geniuses grandchild

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
If Astroglide was a character in a movie:

Texas Ranger: One of you turds is gonna get smacked in the mouth!

- Talladega Nights: The Ballad of Ricky Bobby (2006)

Members don't see this ad.

last call of medicine tomorrow for the month! I can't wait until thursday morning.

So I was on call last night (am also sick, so that sucked!), but I had the equivalent of a perfect game. 14 hours and not ONE floor call or admit. It's nice to have house physicians.

Members don't see this ad :)
Tomorrow night I'm going to pay particular attention to details as it's my last easy medicine call for the next three months. just found out I'm on call my first night of SICU. My perfect batting average of not killing anyone could go down the drain monday night.

Living the high life until then~

I've been doing Family Medicine for about a week now. The Navy kinda' piles everyone in for me except family members, so I see a fair amount of bread and butter stuff: runny nose, sore throat, joint pain (knee, ankle, hip, SHOULDER), and waivers for the Physical Readiness Test.

Yesterday was odd duck day: I started out with back pain d/t Spina Bifida, had lunch with APKD with stage IV renal disease/malignant hypertension, and rounded out the afternoon with a chronic prostatitis that I did the four glass test on.

Most days it's doggie paddle in the office until the last appointment when I get zapped: bloody stool, chest pain, etc. ALWAYS the last appointment so I can never finish on time. GOD I'm glad I don't have a life.

Started Heme/Onc today. I won't have to admit anybody, write any notes, dictate anything, have overnight calls, get paged incessantly, and best of all, NO ROUNDS! This is so awesome. 8:30-2 or 3pm. No weekends. Sadly, this is my only cush month for probably the rest of residency.

I am $615 poorer until I get reimbursed for COMLEX 3. Scheduled the bad boy for December. Here's to hoping I don't get the chock-full-o-peds-and-OB version! +pity+

Started Heme/Onc today. I won't have to admit anybody, write any notes, dictate anything, have overnight calls, get paged incessantly, and best of all, NO ROUNDS! This is so awesome. 8:30-2 or 3pm. No weekends. Sadly, this is my only cush month for probably the rest of residency.

I am $615 poorer until I get reimbursed for COMLEX 3. Scheduled the bad boy for December. Here's to hoping I don't get the chock-full-o-peds-and-OB version! +pity+

I'm on gen surgery. Not bad, though I could think of better places to be. I think I am going to schedule mine for February when I'm on medicine again....I just got my credit card paid off:( Guess I'll hope I take it quick and get reimbursed just as quickly:)

Hey everyone! I just got this infomation passed along to us. I already called the congressional committee. This really needs everyone's attention - especially you casa umbre! They basically got rid of economic hardship. THis means that there is no longer a way to put loans off for 6 years. The max time is 3 years thru forberence. Forberence shows up as a BIG ding on your credit. This means... no more aproval for home loans, possibly car loans and lots of other stuff that everyone needs. The change takes effect October 1, 2007. THat means that EVERYONE of us that just appplied for economic hardship will owe a loan payment this month!! They have a proposal to cap out what we all need to pay to 15% of salary BUT that ruling doesn't take effect until 2009! Please read the information provided below and on the links listed & call washington! Please pass this information along to EVERYONE in your residency classes. This effects each and every one of us! I think this is much more important to pass on that some crappy football thing! BTW I deleted all of those emails. If one of you didn't, maybe we can pass this along thru that route!

....Congress passed a recent bill on
higher education financing. Using a new formula, the
legislation will eliminate a provision that allowed many
resident physicians to defer their educational loan
repayments.

Help us overturn this shortsighted and unfair decision
by contacting the US House Education and Labor Committee,
the Senate Health, Education, Labor and Pensions (HELP)
Committee, and physician members of Congress. For more
information and talking points, see:http://www.ama-assn.org/ama/pub/category/18024.html

Also see a primer on medical student debt:http://www.ama-assn.org/ama/pub/category/5349.html

I swear to God that the public at large thinks that all physicians take dumps on gold-dipped toilets, fly on chartered planes, and take a daily swim through their mounds of money (ala Scrooge McDuck).

Seriously, wtf.

They can try to take my money, but I can't afford to live how it is...........so maybe I'll ask the president or my local congressman to come work with me for a week, get paid what we get paid, and then ask them to pay this amount in loans. They wouldn't be so quick to pass a law like that if it was saying they had to pay for all their flights/limos for government functions.

Is anyone still alive out there?

Lucky/Dmak who is Peoria?

Astro how is being gay?

Dartos how are all the conversion disorder, bipolar, borderline ladies treating you?

Dicky how is the sweet life of home radiology call?

Is anyone still alive out there?

Lucky/Dmak who is Peoria?

Astro how is being gay?

Dartos how are all the conversion disorder, bipolar, borderline ladies treating you?

Dicky how is the sweet life of home radiology call?

I wish I knew...won't be taking rads call for another year. House call sucks. I'm known as the "Admit Bitch". I thought about getting it embroidered on my white coat.
I'm on ICU this month, and the attending this week is a freakin stud. He explains things so simply. I'm a pro at vent management and ABGs now.
The one thing that still eludes me is the pronunciation of w's and v's by Indian docs.... No the patient is not "womiting", nor is he "vheezing"...maybe DocGeorge can enlighten me....

I wish I knew...won't be taking rads call for another year. House call sucks. I'm known as the "Admit Bitch". I thought about getting it embroidered on my white coat.
I'm on ICU this month, and the attending this week is a freakin stud. He explains things so simply. I'm a pro at vent management and ABGs now.
The one thing that still eludes me is the pronunciation of w's and v's by Indian docs.... No the patient is not "womiting", nor is he "vheezing"...maybe DocGeorge can enlighten me....

I agree I hadn't ever heard of whomitting until this year. Vheezing is difficult to treat as well............

Members don't see this ad :)
Ve indayns (dot not feather) are being more avanced den you vite peoble...if you cant understhand us it is being because you havvve small brains. Dank you berry much.

Now back to saving people who do stupid human tricks when I'm on trauma call. I hate being the intern on trauma. All consults and no or! This makes for a very pissed of surgery resident. Dicky I've got some news for you I need to give you a call. But I think I have the basics of trauma down. "Air go in...air go out. Blood go round and round. Any variation on this BAD!!!!!"

One other thing I learned on trauma. Girls if you happen to be super hot and manage to flip your car going 60mph and you manage to survive with very little injuries...remember to wear underwear. Oh yeah and please be sure to tell us the first time we ask if you have any diseases that you are being treated for chlamydia(she got it from her BF who got it from the toilet) else we will get nervous and want to cut you open when your UA comes back positive for WBCs and RBCs.

I'm still alive cremaster. SICU is a demanding rotation to say the least, but you get a ton of procedures since everyone seems to be on a SVO2 monitor and needs central and radial lines. Lots of practice. Funny part is that no matter how good you get at the easy ones, there are always those super fat fluid overloaded people where getting an A-line turns into a 2+ hours process with multiple site attempts and lots of F-bombs.

People in detroit are NOT good at killing each other. They are, however, good at hitting human targets. I cannot believe how many people come into this hospital with GSW's and stable vitals. I would use a deer slug and shoot to kill. That's just me though.

ICU nurses are awesome too. they know everything from drug doses to managment. however, they also tell you to push bicarb when a pH is 7.31...so if you are totally clueless, you might go down the wrong path.

Guys only 7 more days of general surgery. I start trauma next month, and I actually can't wait. I've had my fill of diverticulitis and constipation this month. I've also made my own "pooping" medicine. All you need is the hot sauce from hooters mixed with the hot sauce from Buffalo Wild wings...........add 4 PABST blue ribbons and stand back.............

Hey guys....

I am on ER this month (then OB, then CCU).

It's actually pretty good. I'm a bit tired of looking inside sick vaginas and having to finger around 350lb women, but other than that...

One of the residents was asking me what i wanted to do. I told him FP or ER, I hadn't decided. He laughed at me. He told me I shouldn't do FP, because I had an ER personality. I don't know, though. Those guys are pretty smart, and a bit more arrogant than I am. I know that's hard to believe.

Hey guys....

I am on ER this month (then OB, then CCU).

It's actually pretty good. I'm a bit tired of looking inside sick vaginas and having to finger around 350lb women, but other than that...

One of the residents was asking me what i wanted to do. I told him FP or ER, I hadn't decided. He laughed at me. He told me I shouldn't do FP, because I had an ER personality. I don't know, though. Those guys are pretty smart, and a bit more arrogant than I am. I know that's hard to believe.

What happened to peds? I start trauma in 2 days at sinai grace. If you don't hear from me check the paper for a loan white iowa male found shot in the ghetto of the D:laugh:

What happened to peds? I start trauma in 2 days at sinai grace. If you don't hear from me check the paper for a loan white iowa male found shot in the ghetto of the D:laugh:

I can just see the headlines now "Young white male found shot. Apparently $hit himself before AND after the shooting."

Psych is fun. IM, not so much fun. Glad I'm done with those two months. I'm just finishing up my third month of inpatient psych. Baby is due any day now! I'm taking two weeks off. After that it's emergency psych and then addictions. Looking back I realize I've already seen a TON of crazy stuff. Pregnant woman punching herself in the stomach, people pulling out their own hair by the handful, a bunch of people whipping their clothes off.....and that was just Portiers last birthday:laugh:!

I can just see the headlines now "Young white male found shot. Apparently $hit himself before AND after the shooting."

Psych is fun. IM, not so much fun. Glad I'm done with those two months. I'm just finishing up my third month of inpatient psych. Baby is due any day now! I'm taking two weeks off. After that it's emergency psych and then addictions. Looking back I realize I've already seen a TON of crazy stuff. Pregnant woman punching herself in the stomach, people pulling out their own hair by the handful, a bunch of people whipping their clothes off.....and that was just Portiers last birthday:laugh:!

You know they say you aren't really dead until you $hit yourself.

You aren't dead until you are _______ and dead.

The blank is $hity.

I want to do a Peds Subspecialty....Hem/Onc. In the Navy you do Peds then are used as General for extended periods of time until you maybe get to do a subspecialty. They're also pulling some shady stuff like making the program fund you instead of funding you themselves. That means you take a huge paycut to do the fellowship. No thanks!

I'll probably respec after the Navy or something. Who knows?

ER isn't bad, but man they are long hours. I keep looking at the watch, "Man....x hours left?"

The attendings and residents get better after you know them. Uniformly I don't like them at first, then they chill out. Of course, that might just be me. I do have a quirky personality. This one attending did piss me off this AM. He was playing the "I'm so smart" and "Guess what I'm thinking game." He was thinking Reactive Arthritis (he called it Reiters....damned Nazi). Thing is the girl 1) didn't have Reactive Arthritis, 2) didn't have any of the criteria for Reactive Arthritis and 3) didn't have a history of an STD remotely or currently (nor any symptoms). It was great watching him smile and preen about being so smart, and then not be even close to right. At the end he didn't even have a diagnosis in mind. He also ignored her for an extra hour without writing any orders, or planning any care. AAAAAAAAAAAGGGGGGGGGHHHHHH!

Anyway...he got better towards the end of the day. He even said, "Are you thinking ER? You're good." I was like, "I hate you." Not really. It was odd how much I didn't like him then he's all like, "you're good." WTF?

I've done so many pelvics this month...it's like I'm Dr Tan. Too many Baginas.

I find out by Christmas if I got Flight school...if not it's the FMF again. USMC beatches.

I miss days off.

Whew it's been a while! The hubby and I are still alive and well. I am currently tending to trick-or-treaters and trying to keep my fingers out of the treat bowl at the same time. Of course it didn't help that I got the candy about a week ago. It was so awesome today at the hospital when a whole bunch of nurses, docs, other staff with piles of candy sat in a huge long line in one of the skyways and the kids from the peds floors who were healthy enough to come out just trick-or-treated down the hall! Sadly, I couldn't partake in the doling out of the treats because there was work to be done but it was fun to see nonetheless.

So one of the perks as a radiology intern is that we get to be guinea pigs (volunteerily) to test out the new MRI. I've never been scanned and am kind of excited but hope they don't find anything funky.

Dartos and Mrs. Dartos: can't wait to see your #2! You know the routine, post pics and updates, etc etc etc...:D

I would like to clarify... Dartos has seen many crazy things including the prego hitting her stomach. I am NOT that prego!!! :eek: I'm just crazy. No stomach punching... :D

They are inducing me Nov 8th if I don't go by then. I'm ready to pop!! I miss having Lucky around. You made false labor fun!! We'll send pics and info as soon as we have some!

Whew it's been a while! The hubby and I are still alive and well. I am currently tending to trick-or-treaters and trying to keep my fingers out of the treat bowl at the same time. Of course it didn't help that I got the candy about a week ago. It was so awesome today at the hospital when a whole bunch of nurses, docs, other staff with piles of candy sat in a huge long line in one of the skyways and the kids from the peds floors who were healthy enough to come out just trick-or-treated down the hall! Sadly, I couldn't partake in the doling out of the treats because there was work to be done but it was fun to see nonetheless.

So one of the perks as a radiology intern is that we get to be guinea pigs (volunteerily) to test out the new MRI. I've never been scanned and am kind of excited but hope they don't find anything funky.

Dartos and Mrs. Dartos: can't wait to see your #2! You know the routine, post pics and updates, etc etc etc...:D

Let me know what you think about intra-operative MRI. I'm not sure it adds anything to stealth personally.

Also I'm working on a paper dealing with the evaluation of pedicle screw placement post fusion via ct scanning, so do you know of any books that explain the physics of ct scan bone windows and the invert option.

thanks lucky

I think your best bet is to go to the radiology department at your hospital and ask them, since they're the ones reading the studies that are involved in your paper. Do you have a rads residency there?

yeah. I just trust your brilliant ass more!

All the way to page 2? Are we all THAT busy? Hope you all had a great Thanksgiving (and didn't have to work in the process).

One more week until I get a month vacation (starting radiology in Dec. + no call for the month)

All the way to page 2? Are we all THAT busy? Hope you all had a great Thanksgiving (and didn't have to work in the process).

One more week until I get a month vacation (starting radiology in Dec. + no call for the month)

I'm currently working on trauma surgery. Only 2 more calls left. It blows here because at night you cover the ED for trauma and general surgery. The worst is when they don't schedule a general surgery floor person because it's "slow" on that night and you have to cover vascular, gen, and trauma surgery ED and floor consults as well as the entire list for everyone.

Start neurosurgery next month. Q2 for christmas from the 21-26. Hopefully I'll get to do something fun since people will be off for xmas. Hope everyone is doing well.

Arkansas in 3 OT's. Good thing astro isn't betting on college football this year.:laugh:

I was on vacation this past week. I'm taking my next one on my last medicine month in January. We just had 16 people over for Thanksgiving dinner tonight, but of course, there was food for 30 so our fridge is still packed. Leftovers, anyone?

I start in the ED on Thursday. Working 20 shifts in a 35 day rotation with the last six days off for New Year's. And taking Level 3 in the middle of December. Haven't started studying yet. Can't say if I feel screwed at this point...maybe when December starts I'll get with the program.

guys we set a date for our wedding may 10th. I'll get invitations out soon!

Yeah...I guess we are that busy.

I get home 6ish, and fall asleep 7ish to get up at 4ish for round preparation. What's weird is that it's all starting to feel normal. You know, being up 32 hours, then being off a day, then back. The "sense of wrongness" (a la scutmonkey) is going away.

I find out in 12 days (or thereabouts) what I'll be doing next year. I mean I'll definitely be leaving the hosptial training environment, but how.

I'm pretty sure I'll be NPQ (not physically qualified) for flight since I have a history of stones, so it'll probably be USMC. I look forward to some time away from the hierarchy here. Is it very rigid at your hospitals?

I'm on OB now. Start CCU next month. I'll be there through Christmas and New Year's. I'll be seeing all the Holiday Hearts.

Lucky: Do you remember that old lady I had on IM at Mason City: .489 BAC the day after. "I don't drink very much, doctor."

Delaney was like: You have a problem....don't interrupt me....and you're probably going to die soon.

had a patient with a bac of 540 functioning like a normal individual

Jagshemash!

what's up everyone? hope all is well. sounds like you guys are having some fun times, and that we're all dealing with the same **** (i.e. dumb consults and a-hole attendings).

Life in albuquerque is good. weather is awesome, skiing season is starting up (Taos, here we come), and yours truly has logged somewhere in the neighborhood of 40 indexed cases (including 19 chest because i did a CT elective at the VA). That being said, call at the University sucks, as we end up covering 4 services (2 general, vascular, and trauma inpatient), which usually amounts to 50-75 patients. Plus, we have to respond to all the traumas, and since we're the only level 1 trauma center in the state, it sucks.

Trivia: The AVERAGE B.A.C. of someone who gets pulled over for DWI in New mexico is 0.24 That's average. I think the highest i've seen on a live patient thus far is .430, but that's not taking into account the Heroin factor.

Glad we bought our house before Uncle Sam decided to molest us in the bung-hole. OUCH. Hopefully that gets reversed soon.

Also, the biggest surprise that I never would have expected is that Emily (peds) is working more hours than I am, on average. That being said, I'm back-loaded with hard rotations this spring, there are a lot of underserved kids in new mexico, and i'm an extremely efficient intern :D

Anyone doing anything crazy for the christmas holidays? Anyone going back to Iowa?

Astro--I haven't killed anyone yet either, but I've come close. I did win the award of first intern to have to give an M&M presentation. I can't wait for SICU so I can push the anesthesia/ER interns out of the way to do central lines.

question--do we HAVE to take comlex 3 this year? i sure hope not.

i'll be at the hospital for xmas................but I am going to fiji in May.

Hey F-balls. I finally found internet at the expense of Panera on my 2nd day off in a row. Work may suck at times and the hours like death; however, a few days off can really bring your mind back to normal. Drug rep dinners are still wonderful, even if i hate hearing the stupid lecture.

There were some surgery residents at my ATLS class which should have failed for sure. i would hate to know some of these people will be taking care of trauma patients in the near future, but at the same time I'd hate to know that most of the patients survive when you consider who we are treating.

I love you all. Just kidding.

Wow. I just took the damn COMLEX. Let me just say, spend the extra 10 minutes brushing up on Chapman's stuff! 400 questions, 500 is still the average but 350...yes 350!!! is passing! I'll take it!

Otherwise, I thought it was actually a little more relevant than Level 2, which isn't saying much. Very glad it's over with. Will let you know in a month or so if I have to shell out $615 again.

Hey guys,

Lucky is GD right about the COMLEX 3. It's a bit more relevant, and like a first year OMM review. I hope I can make a pass at it. I mean pass it.

I saw 16 patients today for OB/GYN routine rounds. I was pissed at myself for taking 4 hours. Then I did the math 60m x 4h = 240. 240m/16patients = 15 minutes/patient. That means I took 15 minutes per patient total to talk, examine, look up labs, and document then fill out paperwork. That's not bad. ...which reminds me...I need to do discharge medications....

(right as I typed that my pager went off)

I'm on CCU next month. I hear our service is mostly like everyone else's internship. Just do the paperwork and type H+P's. The Cardiologists wander down occasionally and decide what to do. The only really bad part is the post call until 1200 thing. I hate that long postcall day. I feel like crap....it's not fun. Other than that it supposedly busy, but not too intense.

It looks like I'm going to get orders to Japan with the Marines for a year next year. Then after a year I'm eligible to get a Peds Residency with a guaranteed 3 year train through. That'll put me 2 years behind everyone else, but I'm so damned cool, who will care.

Those who are interns now will be my R3's.

RAH!

Japan! How cool is that. Where in Japan? Are you excited? How's the lady?

I Am Legend was a great movie. It had all the elements to make a good Friday night movie for me. Will Smith is the man and I want a German Shepherd.

Staying in today. It's snowing a bit outside. Just me and Mr. Scales today, the hubby is on call. Time to make hot chocolate!

OMG they just raised the price of the PE to $1045. Not that it affects us, but that is getting ridiculous!! At least include travel and lodging in that price!

Japan! How cool is that. Where in Japan? Are you excited? [\QUOTE]

Okinowa. It's "forward deployed" and a great place to go on short stints from. 2 months here, 3 there.

There are some orders to Hawaii floating around (3 year billet), but I'm not so foolish as to dream they'd fall in my lap. They're "hot fill" which means they want someone for it yesterday. It probably won't hold 6 months, and every other intern wants those orders, too.

So it looks like this military thing MAY only put me 2 years behind my cohort vice 5. That's a positive.

I also think San Diego is where I want to put as first choice next year. There's a fairly high burnout rate here because of all the Atlantic Fleet (most of the Navy strength) plus all the squadrons.

Glad everyone is doing well. I start my week of 4 days of call in 7 days starting Tuesday:thumbup: I take COMLEX in Feb. I'm going to start reading savarese again in January and First Aid or Crush I think..........just want it to be over so I get reimbursed for it. Happy holidays all.

Guess who passsed Step III....WOOH!

No more boards for a while. That's NICE

Weird how the minimum is 350 on the III'd step.

Eh, who cares.

I'm applying for a LICENSE!

Portier,

Anything special you would recommend for Step III. I'm taking it during my 2nd month of medicine. It is painful, and I can't wait to only read neurosurgery stuff for good. **** tachycardia.

I read Crush Step III
Reviewed all the Platinum Vignettes and
Read the OMM reviews from I and II year.

Only thing I would've done different is a bit more preventive medicine, but I did fine with just those 3 up there.

I also read half of "Strong Medicine for Step III"

and

Did 800 sample items from Kaplan Qbank.....

Yah.

Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year and Kwanzaa to everyone.

"Happy Kwanzaa."

-Bernie Mac in Bad Santa