DMU........Self-proclaimed Super Geniuses grandchild

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hey guys..........I got a funny/humbling story for everybody. I had a fairly crazy call on Sunday night. We had a ton of admits, codes we responded to, grieving families of loved ones that passed away. Needless to say I didn't get any sleep. I sleep like crap the night before call. Post call I got about 4 hours after call and then only another 4 at night. In all only about 12 hours in three days. Tuesday morning I get to the ER around 6:30ish......didn't get breakfast since I was running late. I felt like CRAP. I get into the first patient's room.......start talking about his back pain, etc....then get really really sick to my stomach and lightheaded. I grabbed the bed rail and the next thing you know, I was down.......HARD. Apparently my head hit the guard rail on this guys bed......I start having super weird dream about running through fields but something doesn't seem right. Then I realize it's because I passed out and the patient's pressing the call button saying........Uhhhh...the doctor in here just fell...I think he's hurt. Good times..........Remember kids...get sleep and eat your breakfast.....The trooper in me made me stay another 10 hours and finish my shift........only because I didn't want to reschedule. God I love residency.

Members don't see this ad.

Hey guys..........I got a funny/humbling story for everybody. I had a fairly crazy call on Sunday night. We had a ton of admits, codes we responded to, grieving families of loved ones that passed away. Needless to say I didn't get any sleep. I sleep like crap the night before call. Post call I got about 4 hours after call and then only another 4 at night. In all only about 12 hours in three days. Tuesday morning I get to the ER around 6:30ish......didn't get breakfast since I was running late. I felt like CRAP. I get into the first patient's room.......start talking about his back pain, etc....then get really really sick to my stomach and lightheaded. I grabbed the bed rail and the next thing you know, I was down.......HARD. Apparently my head hit the guard rail on this guys bed......I start having super weird dream about running through fields but something doesn't seem right. Then I realize it's because I passed out and the patient's pressing the call button saying........Uhhhh...the doctor in here just fell...I think he's hurt. Good times..........Remember kids...get sleep and eat your breakfast.....The trooper in me made me stay another 10 hours and finish my shift........only because I didn't want to reschedule. God I love residency.

I hope you are ok big fella!

I no longer dream about anything other than patients.....................I dream about admitting SAH and spinal fractures.............the worst is I'm sick of the fakers comin to the ER complaining that they have pain and I have no idea what their pain is...........I want to take them to the cancer floor and say these people have pain you are just a ****ing junky.................2 months in and I am jaded:laugh: welcome to medicine

it looks like we all may finally be too busy to actually keep writing bs on here.........it's sad, but I'm sure we will all get together at some dmu reunion. You guys as attendings me as a pgy 6:laugh:

Members don't see this ad :)
Busy. Yeah.

Well, you know.

Things.

I'm going back to the ward now.

Saw my first case of flesh-eating bacteria this week while on surgery. I had my hands all up in the wound. Gotta love being an intern. We debrided from the inside of the knee all the way up to the groin. It was pretty impressive.

I saw someone in our icu who has red man syndrome from vanco

I saw your mom eating bacteria.

I have found that I enjoy expensive food and tv's. I am trying to convince the miss's we need a 52" sony lcd screen:)

Just finished my first month of med floors! So glad it's over. I have Neurology next, with a week of vacation where the hubby and I are hittin up Vegas! Can't wait...I took a week of vacation during each of the two more months of med floors I have left. At least, after September, I'll have no overnight call until April when I'm in the MICU again. Counting the days till May, when it'll be radiology for the rest of my life...it always seems like the rads residents are the happiest residents in the hospital...maybe it's just me and my wishful thinking.

Being finished with surgery is great.

What's even better is this Operational Medicine rotation. It's only 2 weeks but these guys at the Helo squadron are hella cool.
HSC%2028%20FLIGHT%20DECK%20LSD%2050%203_JPG.jpg

I've flown in these types of helo's before...actually it was a Huey vs this body type (it's the same chassis as a Blackhawk, except with hella' more engine power, armor, and staying power....for sea duty, and vertical ship replenishments.

HSC25%20home.jpg

They're gonna' try to put me up in a bird tomorrow.

In clinic the let me do sick call with no supervision. Granted I'm not seeing anyone in a flight status (mostly I've seen support crew, mechanics, structural engineers, etc.), but it's basic sick call.

I even did my own GYN exam today. What was weird was how even after I did the exam, did her ENT compaint, and looked at her feet for some fungus stuff, she was still very worried about maintaining decorum and military bearing. If I showed my balls to someone I'd figure we were cool, but whatever. ;)

I have to do extra paperwork to apply for flight school, but I'm going to get it done. The Navy Flight Surgeons go to regular flight school, learn to fly, then go to the fleet. On assignment, you have to spend 50% of your time at your squadron, and 50% at the bricks and mortar treatment facility. These FS's are happy to have me around so I can pitch in and see patients so they can get out of the clinic a little earlier. I'm excited to be there because, 1) it's not surgery, 2) no one is breathing down my neck and 3) people talk to me like I'm human...i.e. no dance pimptastik.

I go to Psych ER next...I'm sure it will be interesting, but probably not so fun.

It's great being back around regular (non medical) navy again.

I have survived month two, but of course I know it is only going to get worse. Word on the street is we may have to start taking q 3 intern call for ns for the rest of the year starting in october. I am on medicine starting sept 1st and obviously my team is on call so I have to go in on the weekend. Oh well at least we are so busy I find time to still get into the OR!

Dartos has two weeks left of IM. I can't wait till it's over! Then no more Q3 EVER!!! This month of IM has been better than last month. Dartos actually got 1.5 hrs of sleep over his last 32 hr call! NICE!!

On a more somber note, my Great Grandpa died the other day. The wake is today. (Port- this was balloon Grandma's Dad... I can't remember if you met him or not.) He was 96, but he really lived a great life. He was doing great for his age up until the last week when he was bed ridden and under hospice care. LGH is being great and letting Dartos out of a call so that he can go to the wake and the funeral.

Dartos has two weeks left of IM. I can't wait till it's over! Then no more Q3 EVER!!! This month of IM has been better than last month. Dartos actually got 1.5 hrs of sleep over his last 32 hr call! NICE!!

On a more somber note, my Great Grandpa died the other day. The wake is today. (Port- this was balloon Grandma's Dad... I can't remember if you met him or not.) He was 96, but he really lived a great life. He was doing great for his age up until the last week when he was bed ridden and under hospice care. LGH is being great and letting Dartos out of a call so that he can go to the wake and the funeral.

Sorry to hear about that but I'm glad they are accomodating. I'm trying to make sure I get my sisters wedding weekend off in February and I still don't know for sure if I will get it off. The life of slaveitude.:laugh:

Members don't see this ad :)
Can you buy a Vizio anywhere else other than Sam's Club or Costco?

I think you can buy them at regular Walmart too...(which is different than the other versions of Walmart such as extraordinary, fantastic and booty-licious walmart)

Do you think the new sony SWR which is their midline model is any better than the vizio?

Hey Ding Dong,
The tumor was intradural and required the dura to be opened. It must of been one of the other 14 year old girls and lord know what you were doing to "tear her dura". But thats ok and thats why the residency is 6 years, ding dong.

Can you send me links to those papers, or send me the papers. I probably won't be using them, but who knows.

I had a 14 yo girl who had a spinal tumor removed. In doing so they unintentionally opened the dura causing a csf leak. The inserted lumbar drain, and then took her to the peds icu. The nurses there hate lumbar drains, so I got paged whenever the drain didn't drain 10-15cc/hour. As you can imagine it was a busy night.

I've also realized how callous I am now..........for instance a patient quit taking her oral meds, ate a tuna sandwhich, threw it up and then went into muscle spasms by her incision. She was scheduled to leave the next day, she refused to take her oral meds. I gave her one 2mg IM morphine shot and told her that was it until she decided to start taking her meds again. Being on call is a good experience but fairly annoying..........

Hey Ding Dong,

I don't know what her face looks like either. But I guess it was hard to see with a bag over her head.

I am still alive just so you guys know. I scheduled all my ER shifts at the beginning of the month so I get basically the last week off except for my two nights of NS call. I feel much dumber now that I'm an intern. I have no time to read, no time to eat, and not much time to sleep. I almost remember what my fiance's face looks like:laugh: It isn't too bad, but I can't wait until I'm working so hard in something I want to do.

I would have you evaluate any chick who didn't want me................as you and I both know they would have to be crazy:thumbup:

Maybe there was a bag over your face.

Has anyone else had a hard time saying "Hi, I'm Dr. X". I keep saying hi I'm insert name a resident from Providence. I'm not sure why, maybe I'm just trying to set them up so they know I have no idea what's going on:laugh:

We all know you have no idea what the heck is going on. One thing is for sure, you girl looks good with that bag over her face.

Havn't been on in a long while.

Announcing the birth of my Son
William Arthur Golden
Sept 1st, 2001 at 0550
7lb and 9oz, 21in long
big nut sack

I cant figure out how to put pictures in here cause mine are too big or something. Tell me how to do it, and Ill post some

William Arthur Golden
Sept 1st, 2001 at 0550
7lb and 9oz, 21in long
big nut sack

I cant figure out how to put pictures in here cause mine are too big or something. Tell me how to do it, and Ill post some
CONGRATS! Can't wait to see pics of WAG...just resize them on any photo editor to make the # of pixels fit within the stated rules for posting.

William Arthur Golden
Sept 1st, 2001 at 0550
7lb and 9oz, 21in long
big nut sack

Congrats!!! Enjoy every minute of it! How's the MRS doing? I hope it was an easy delivery! Can't wait to see pictures.

I survived my first medicine call night with the DS pager. It blew nuts. I also someone got a sinus infection that is the worst infection of my life. My eyes keep watering and I have the worst headache of my life. Only 3 more weeks............

William Arthur Golden
Sept 1st, 2001 at 0550
7lb and 9oz, 21in long
big nut sack

Congrats...............How is the resident/new parent life treating ya?

Life is good. Residencies not all that tough, just the same stuff as before but now I get paid $12.67 a hour baby! Things aren't so great with him. His got a huge cephalohematoma and continues to lose weight. Were going to have to start supplementing with formula :( It would be alright if the little guy would sleep at night and party all day.

Attachments

• phpSxQ6RLPM.jpg
    31.1 KB · Views: 143
  • phpQz08FvPM.jpg
    29.6 KB · Views: 140
Sorry to hear he's going through a some rough times, but with you two as parents, he will do great. Keep us posted. :)

All the M4s around here just went nuts over the first week of ERAS. It feels like it was so long ago for us, and so glad we don't ever have to go through that again! I'm looking forward to going to all the activities on the other side of the table now (e.g. great FREE meals!). Recruiting's going to be pretty fun because everybody's so laid back.

GregG: Congrats on making babies. He will be fine, I can tell. A little weight gain 6000 and he'll be a BEEFCAKE. he looks like you: small, pink, and scared. Well, like you when I come over. HA!

Lucky: I totally agree. I've heard some MS4 talk, and it seems like I never went through all that. I'm totally suppressing it, i think.

Good news for me is that I never have to worry about another "match." Well, not a real one. I'm gonna' deploy starting next year for a while, and when I get done globe trotting and pocketing cash tax free, I'll come back with an overwhelming odds to get what I want. Then when I train it'll be 3 years with no interruptions.

Nice.

I ate at a Brazilian restaurant last night....the water filler girl was Romanian. I talked at her a little, and she only had a minor command of English...luckily bl0wj0b was a word she knew....JK I was out with a Peds resident who might challenge DMACK's superior DNA. She's tall, blond, and brilliant. Too bad I'm not into that. I'm in love with a dancer....

I went and watched Iowa beat up on Syracuse last night. Somehow I managed to drop $50 on myself at B-dubs between wings and beer. Nothing is sweeter than MI and ND being 0-2.

Are any of you going to get a Qbank for Step III? I am thinking about getting First Aid for III in November when the new edition comes out, and I have Swanson's FP with tons of questions, but I'm undecided about getting an actual question bank. Not that I would have time to use it anyways:laugh:

Are any of you going to get a Qbank for Step III? I am thinking about getting First Aid for III in November when the new edition comes out, and I have Swanson's FP with tons of questions, but I'm undecided about getting an actual question bank. Not that I would have time to use it anyways:laugh:

I'll prob pick up First Aid III as well, but that's about it. I'm even tempted to just wing the damn test.

Step I - 2 months
Step II - 2 weeks
Step III - #2 pencil (of course they discourage writing on computer screens)

What's up with the idiots hitting "Reply to All" to that stupid football email? I hate my DMU email sometimes....

:laugh::laugh::laugh: My husband writes awesome emails....:smuggrin:

Anyone up for some football?

Sorry to bust up the party, but I'm a 2nd year at DMU, and I wanted to find out what some of you guys thought about the new DMU rotations curriculum. Starting with our class, all MSIIIs will do their core rotations in Iowa, except for about 40. We were told that this was done for a number of reasons (including after the administration received feedback from previous students out on rotations), so I was curious what you guys thought of it?

Good idea, bad idea?

I'm from Iowa and still glad I was able to do core rotations elsewhere. it's the reason i have a residency spot in michigan. but most people wanted to stay in the area rather than travel.

Agree with Astro. I wanted to stay at first, but it was great to get out and visit different states/hospitals. You get face time at programs you may be interested in, and you aren't stuck at one hospital that does it one way. That being said, there were plenty of people complaining that they had to move to iowa for two years then move again.

Thanks for the input guys. I think a good portion of our class is concerned about the quality of the rotations that will exist in Iowa. If they're going to be placing roughly 170-180 students in Iowa, then that means they'll be coming up with a lot of "new" sites. This concerns us, because they may be substituting quantity for quality in an attempt to keep nearly everyone "close to home". Everyone with kids gets the Des Moines spots, so the rest of us will be shipped around podunk Iowa over the course of 3rd year.

Oh well, it is what it is, and hopefully it won't be as bad as we're imagining.

Actually as a student it is sometimes better to be in the podunk areas because you get to do more. I know plenty of people who did surgery in the smaller areas, and because there weren't residents there they got to do a lot more than some of us who were at places with residency programs. As long as 4th year remains largely elective I think you guys will be ok.

I spent 7 months of my third year in the awesome Mason City, IA and to my surprise, it was really great. I would choose that site again if I had to do it over, unless things have changed drastically there. The only residency they have there is FP, but oddly enough they also have a Cardiology fellowship. Iowa sends their surgery residents (GS and urology were the ones I knew of when I was there) up there for rotations. Great ancillary staff cut down on med student scutwork. So like cremaster said, podunk is not necessarily bad. It all depends on the attendings you get.

As for the other sites around Iowa and whatever new ones they're setting up, I think DMU does a fairly good job checking them out first and making sure that whoever's accepting students agrees to teach at some level too. Kind of scary to be the first class to try this new plan out, I bet. It'll be interesting to see what comes out of it.

On another note...VEGAS ON WEDNESDAY! WOOOOOO :hardy:

Hey do you guys know when you can start doing OMM and getting paid yourself for it? Do you just have to pass Step III or do you need to be out of residency?

Hey do you guys know when you can start doing OMM and getting paid yourself for it? Do you just have to pass Step III or do you need to be out of residency?

You'd have to have a billing system, malpractice insurance (for that kind of stuff,) and be certified to bill to and get paid from insurance companies. That is assuming you aren't doing a cash business. Your malpractice as a resident only covers you at that hospital and for their stuff. If you moonlight etc, you need your own malpractice. Don't know when you "CAN" though.

Ok, I'm about to kill the people in our class. Do they not realize they cannot be removed from the list when the list includes everyone who happened to graduate from DMU. I've had to delete 100+ emails from people, and it pisses me the FXXK off.

On a side note, life is good. Pediatrics could be the most worthless rotation for me ever. I'm annoyed i have to do this and have learned very little about kids that i did not already know. furthermore, i'm becoming dumber regarding surgery stuff b/c of this crap.

I need to drink, heavily...then call a cab!

Only 10 more days of medicine left this month...................I can't wait to not have to get calls about somebody with CP:thumbup:

Ok, I'm about to kill the people in our class. Do they not realize they cannot be removed from the list when the list includes everyone who happened to graduate from DMU. I've had to delete 100+ emails from people, and it pisses me the FXXK off.

On a side note, life is good. Pediatrics could be the most worthless rotation for me ever. I'm annoyed i have to do this and have learned very little about kids that i did not already know. furthermore, i'm becoming dumber regarding surgery stuff b/c of this crap.

I need to drink, heavily...then call a cab!

I like the "please remove me" emails. It's funny to see how few people realize it's not anyone in the school, but rather a "worm" that got into our system. It's sending **** out to everyone....

That, and the spam filter is SOOOOOO good at DMU. I get crap advertising and all that.

I like my gmail best. Little spam, and lots of love. FYI mike, I need carpal tunnel surgery because of that free ones website.

Guess who scored 4 tickets to the MI Penn State game tomorrow. Astro and I will be drunk and cheering for the Nittany Lions!

Being post call on monday is such a great thing when you get out early. I feel so rested today for some reason, and i even had time to waste at the gym.

College football is making some interesting turns this year: big upsets and the hawks are just plain crappy. though i was impressed with our performance vs an overrated wisconsin team.