CUSOM vs WVSOM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

djsurf

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Accepted to both. Liked the reputation and facilities at WVSOM, but it seemed like your small class of <200 is secluded from anyone else except the townspeople. On the other hand, I am hesitant about CUSOM being a new school, but they seem confident, professional, and experienced after attending the interview. Thoughts? :bang:

Members don't see this ad.

I turned down UMDNJ (DO and MD), KCUMB, LECOM, and PCOM for CUSOM. I honestly do believe CUSOM is going to be one of the top DO programs in the nation a few years from now. Yes they are new, and there will definitely be some kinks to work out along the way, but they have done so much to reduce the chances of those kinks arising and for us to succeed. State of the art medical building and medical equipment, human cadaver anatomy lab, optional international medical missions, student run health clinic, innovative systems based/case based curriculum, professors are full-time employees and not a herd of guest lecturers like many other medical schools, plus the faculty and staff have all had teaching experience at a medical school, >400 clerkship spots for us incoming class of 150, and its part of a well established undergrad. Location and a non-existent track record (I.e. Board scores, match rate, etc) may be a con for some people though. But I really don't think that will be an issue at all, but of course I am biased toward CUSOM, I fell in love with the school. Heck, that's a Christian college and I'm a staunch atheist ha, and I still love the school. Sooo yeah, I don't know anything about WVSOM so hopefully someone shoots his/her side of it.

Heck, that's a Christian college and I'm a staunch atheist ha, and I still love the school.

haha couldn't agree more here, glad to see their ug religious ties are not carried over to the d.o. program.

Members don't see this ad :)
I turned down UMDNJ (DO and MD), KCUMB, LECOM, and PCOM for CUSOM. I honestly do believe CUSOM is going to be one of the top DO programs in the nation a few years from now....non-existent track record (I.e. Board scores, match rate, etc) may be a con for some people though.

Im going nuts about schools too. Gotta pick b/w NYCOM, SOMA and CUSOM. I honestly LOVED Campbell and I agree with everything you said about the staff. Location is awesome (for studying) I think. Little distraction means more study time. But I did have a few draw-backs...what if it doesn't get accredited? (Unlikely, but anything can happen). What if since we're the inaugural class we mess up the boards? Also do residency people look down on the fact that the school is brand new? (Does it hurt us in the long run?) Other than that, CUSOM would be an easy pick. The school is so welcoming!

Im going nuts about schools too. Gotta pick b/w NYCOM, SOMA and CUSOM. I honestly LOVED Campbell and I agree with everything you said about the staff. Location is awesome (for studying) I think. Little distraction means more study time. But I did have a few draw-backs...what if it doesn't get accredited? (Unlikely, but anything can happen). What if since we're the inaugural class we mess up the boards? Also do residency people look down on the fact that the school is brand new? (Does it hurt us in the long run?) Other than that, CUSOM would be an easy pick. The school is so welcoming!

Yeahh being a new school is def on the worry list for some. But for me, becuase the med school is associated with an academic university, has strong state support, immense amount of funding and donations, and supported by RTP, I have no doubt it will get accredited. If the med school were a stand alone college like many of the DO schools are, however, then I probably wouldn't have chosen CUSOM

The faculty they hired have pretty sick teaching backgrounds, so I'm sure if we mess up on the boards, it'll be because of us, not them. Its up to us to make sure we study for the USMLE and COMLEX.

A lot of residency program directors do look at what medical school you attend, but that's not the main factor in their decision. I'm sure residency won't be an issue in NC since Campbell is pretty known thanks to their Law, Pharm, and PA programs. Everywhere else, though, won't be an issue if you do well on your boards. A 630 COMLEX score from CUSOM will probably get a spot over a 550 COMLEX score from PCOM.

Moral of the story, rock the boards, be involved, study hard and play hard, and you'll be alright, CUSOM or not.

I am stuck on how to choose schools as well. I loved both and they both sound like they have great programs and are on top of their game. EVERYONE is also super nice from both places and has immensely supportive faculty. I did love however how WVSOM has more of a "downtown" area which gave the school and really nice community feel (outside of the academic community). From what I recall CUSOM does not have any "downtown" area/non-academic community... am I right or did I definitely miss the downtown area while I was visiting there??? I went out for dinner the night before in a close by town but it was completely dead and no one was around. Is that just the nature of the area?

there is a decent sized town, however it is 20 min drive from the school. another 20 gets you to Raleigh. Tough decision, but be glad you get the opportunity to make it.

there is a decent sized town, however it is 20 min drive from the school. another 20 gets you to Raleigh. Tough decision, but be glad you get the opportunity to make it.

Thank you... its also a tough choice due to tuition differences and reputation: $41,000 vs $50,000 and 1 year old vs 30+ years old... I know CUSOM seems to have their priorities straight and can provide a good curriculum but there has yet to be any students who have taken boards, done clinical and received rotations. Any perspective on this??

there has yet to be any students who have taken boards, done clinical and received rotations
Correct, as they just opened no students have taken boards or done clinical rotations (3rd/4th year). Rotations are not awarded, but guaranteed at any licensed medical school. They are a vital part of learning the clinical aspects of medicine. If anything, a new institution will be more concerned with assuring your success (to build upon their reputation and recruit future classes) rather than just put you through the farm system. Depends what you want, either can be viewed as +'s