Cornell class of 2010!!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
somewhere2010 said:
mine were subtly pushing for me to go to michigan though, because my dad is an alum and it's *only* 6 hours from home vs. 13-ish to NYC. really, how often were they going to visit me either way?
My parents live in France (they get bored easily and move every two years), and were freaking out when I told them about the great time I had at the University of Chicago's interview day. Because they want to confine their visiting trips to one particular area of the country (the Northeast) they launched a full-scale anti-midwest assault. "That's great. I'm glad you had a good interview. I guess it's too bad that Chicago's such a terrible city." I've lived in Chicago (and loved it), and they've never been, but that did nothing to deter an unyielding barrage of underhanded jabs and insults about the city, the real estate market, the weather, etc. I mean seriously, my dad even said, "Sure, so it's a great city, but come February, you're really going to wish you'd spent the winter in Boston." Boston. That tropical haven in the northeast.

They did warm up to the idea of visiting me in San Diego, though. I think they spent that time trying to convince my extended family to move from the northeast to Southern California (think of the cheap Mexican food!).

So now, my folks are happy. But my poor fiancee's family (all from NorCal) are heartbroken. I can't wait to find out which half of the family will be in tears on match day!

Members don't see this ad.

Re-Evolution said:
Any of you guys get a laptop for medschool? I never owned one in my life, but I decided to shell out the big bucks and get a IBM (actually LENOVO now) Thinkpad T60. I love how industrial and business like those things look. No non-sense aesthetics, just light and functional.

i got a mac 12 inch powerbook G4 back in december and i :love: it! it's tiny...it fits in my (big ass) purse! and it's beautiful and rock-solid, and i've only had to restart it like twice!

somewhere2010 said:
i got a mac 12 inch powerbook G4 back in december and i :love: it! it's tiny...it fits in my (big ass) purse! and it's beautiful and rock-solid, and i've only had to restart it like twice!

I ahve an HP 14 inch dual processor something or other.

Members don't see this ad :)
I've been doing a lot of thinking about what to do for a computer next year. All I have right now is a 5 year-old desktop. It's served me well through my pre-med courses, so I'm inclined to think that I can get through med school walking around campus with a paper and pencil.

But then I start reading threads about how useful it is to have a laptop. Of even more use (and a proportionally bigger dent in my budget) would be a tablet PC. Should I be listening to these pre-meds telling me that I'll be at a disadvantage in the anatomy lab if I don't study with a tablet to take notes with?

I talked to a buddy of mine who's an MSIII at Cornell, and he seemed to think it was all a matter of preference. Anyone else have the chance to talk computing with some current students? Will I fall into an inescapable hole if I begin the year taking notes with a pen and paper - and maybe a highlighter if I make room in the budget?

MrJordan said:
I've been doing a lot of thinking about what to do for a computer next year. All I have right now is a 5 year-old desktop. It's served me well through my pre-med courses, so I'm inclined to think that I can get through med school walking around campus with a paper and pencil.

But then I start reading threads about how useful it is to have a laptop. Of even more use (and a proportionally bigger dent in my budget) would be a tablet PC. Should I be listening to these pre-meds telling me that I'll be at a disadvantage in the anatomy lab if I don't study with a tablet to take notes with?

I talked to a buddy of mine who's an MSIII at Cornell, and he seemed to think it was all a matter of preference. Anyone else have the chance to talk computing with some current students? Will I fall into an inescapable hole if I begin the year taking notes with a pen and paper - and maybe a highlighter if I make room in the budget?
I was at 2nd Look. They said fine without them. You really don't need one until residency.

MrJordan said:

you're probably totally fine without a laptop or tablet! i just really wanted one and made up excuses as to why i needed, one being i needed a better USB port for my ipod! ahaha ohhh rationalization...

really though, it's helpful for me also for when i go home to illinois for breaks and especially over the summer...it was also such a hassle in undergrad figuring out what to do with my desktop when i wasn't in school, so having a portable computer is helpful that way.

i honestly don't even know if i'll take mine to class! i have crazy note-taking habits, and i don't know how well i could implement them on a computer!

Yeah, I pretty much convienced myself that I need a laptop, mostly to take my work with me when I travel. Movies on the plane rides are a nice plus. Those Mac's are starting to look real nice, but I still think PC's are *HELLA* better :D

So I'm wondering how many of you are planning to do the Camp trip vs. the urban tour? I've done the Tourist thing once in NY, so I'm probably going w/ the former, I hope I'm not missing out on anything.

Re-Evolution said:
Yeah, I pretty much convienced myself that I need a laptop, mostly to take my work with me when I travel. Movies on the plane rides are a nice plus. Those Mac's are starting to look real nice, but I still think PC's are *HELLA* better :D

Well played, I apologize for my earlier inflammatory remark on 'hella.' I love that word now.

Anyhow, one of the things I really want to do this year and perhaps maybe some of you might be interested as well. I really want to go see the Conan O'Brien Show. Perhaps some of you watch this show as well and maybe we're supposed to be too sophisticated now for this type of humor, but I think Conan is hilarious. Anybody else down to come, or am I the only one with this sentiment about the show?

Rebs said:
I really want to go see the Conan O'Brien Show. Anybody else down to come, or am I the only one with this sentiment about the show?
Well... I'm busy until one. But after that, my schedule looks wiiide open.

Also, The Daily Show tapes in Hell's Kitchen. Just a stone's throw from Rudy's, the free hot dog place.

MrJordan said:
Well... I'm busy until one. But after that, my schedule looks wiiide open.

I hear you on that. I totally forgot about the Daily Show. Thats a must for sure too.

I have only gotten to see the daily show about twice in the past five years (have no TV/cable... :eek: ), but I LOVE it!!! If I had known it was filmed so close to Cornell, I wouldn't have had any problems in deciding to go there next year ;)
Let's go, I am so down! I haven't seen Conan before, but I would definitely go to that too. I have never been to a show taping before...sounds fun!

And regarding the computer thing...
I got a Mac 12 inch a year and a half ago, and couldn't have been happier with it. I highly recommend them, however, I wouldn't even dream of trying to take notes on it, I didn't even know that people did that. Crazy.

I guess I am stuck in the nineties, where everyone takes notes on paper, wears skorts, and read goosebumps books. :p

blueray83 said:
I guess I am stuck in the nineties, where everyone takes notes on paper, wears skorts, and read goosebumps books. :p

C'mon now, I still play Pogs all the time!

Rebs said:
I have a toddler. I know dora dora the explorer.

Members don't see this ad :)
Rebs said:
all my pogs were confiscated in the great sixth grade school raid of 1996...i still cry about it sometimes.

blueray83 said:
all my pogs were confiscated in the great sixth grade school raid of 1996...i still cry about it sometimes.

oh man, i don't even know what pogs are! :( what kind of sheltered life did i live in rural illinois? i was exposed to conan though, and would totally be up for going for a taping one day!

blueray83 said:
Unfortunately, this shows how uncool Rebs and I are...

Whoa there!!! Speak for yourself young lady.

I'm totally kidding! Infact, to show how cool I am maybe I could probably fish out some MC Hammer pants in case you guys needed a good laugh at our 8am PBL sessions. And Somewhere2010, I know that even in rural Illinois that you should know about MC Hammer pants. (2 legit 2 quit, hey hey!)

Rebs said:

I'm totally kidding! Infact, to show how cool I am maybe I could probably fish out some MC Hammer pants in case you guys needed a good laugh at our 8am PBL sessions. And Somewhere2010, I know that even in rural Illinois that you should know about MC Hammer pants. (2 legit 2 quit, hey hey!)

Yes, even I know about MC hammer pants.

Rebs said:

omg, i love hammer pants! and don't forget the hand movements that go along with 2 legit...we'll have to have 80s/early 90s parties and re-live the good old days ;)

somewhere2010 said:
omg, i love hammer pants! and don't forget the hand movements that go along with 2 legit...we'll have to have 80s/early 90s parties and re-live the good old days ;)
I can imagine my parents, beaming with pride that their son has been accepted to medical school, dreaming that his training might one day adequately prepare him to properly perform the sophisticated and complex 2 Legit 2 Quit Hammer Hand Gestures.

That day's coming, Mom and Dad. That day's coming.

hey y'all...thought i'd pass along this link to the "time out new york" website. it's this little free magazine that comes out every week telling of random stuff going on, restaurant reviews, etc. anyway you can also search by neighborhood and check out the kinds of stuff happening on the upper east side.

yay i'm so excited to be moving! now if i can just re-motivate myself on the academics side... :oops:

http://www.timeoutny.com/newyork/

somewhere2010 said:
hey y'all...thought i'd pass along this link to the "time out new york" website. it's this little free magazine that comes out every week telling of random stuff going on, restaurant reviews, etc. anyway you can also search by neighborhood and check out the kinds of stuff happening on the upper east side.

yay i'm so excited to be moving! now if i can just re-motivate myself on the academics side... :oops:

Excellent! What are you doing in DC?

akaz said:
Excellent! What are you doing in DC?

finishing up work at NIH...3 more weeks! then heading home to illinois for july and most of august til orientation :)

somewhere2010 said:

Time Out is a great guide to what's going on in the city, but just to clarify, it is sadly not free :( That shouldn't stop anyone from going into Barnes & Noble, picking up a copy, writing down everything you want to do that week, and putting it back on the rack though! Or we can always just all split one subscription...

2010MD said:
Time Out is a great guide to what's going on in the city, but just to clarify, it is sadly not free :( That shouldn't stop anyone from going into Barnes & Noble, picking up a copy, writing down everything you want to do that week, and putting it back on the rack though! Or we can always just all split one subscription...

oh, it's not free? *tear* maybe i'm thinking of some other free magazine-type thing that's on the streets? or maybe it was free 4 years ago? at any rate, i'm all about camping out at B&N...

somewhere2010 said:
oh, it's not free? *tear* maybe i'm thinking of some other free magazine-type thing that's on the streets? or maybe it was free 4 years ago? at any rate, i'm all about camping out at B&N...

Hm, well, there are *zillions* of free papers here. The Village Voice and the Onion both have event listings, I think. In any case, a 1-year Time Out subscription is only $19.95, which, divided amongst the 101 members of the class of 2010, comes out to less than 20 cents each = essentially free! Perhaps that's what you were thinking?

2010MD said:
Hm, well, there are *zillions* of free papers here. The Village Voice and the Onion both have event listings, I think. In any case, a 1-year Time Out subscription is only $19.95, which, divided amongst the 101 members of the class of 2010, comes out to less than 20 cents each = essentially free! Perhaps that's what you were thinking?

Hell, I'll even throw in a quarter.

Rebs said:
Hell, I'll even throw in a quarter.

The minute you walked in the joint,
I could see you were a man of distinction,
A real big spender,
Good looking, so refined...

I stumbled across this and thought maybe some of you might want to take a look. We'll have to make one of our own soon, but for what its worth theres some good pictures of the current students at Cornell.

http://class2006.med.cornell.edu/

Rebs said:
I stumbled across this and thought maybe some of you might want to take a look. We'll have to make one of our own soon, but for what its worth theres some good pictures of the current students at Cornell.

http://class2006.med.cornell.edu/

Excellent!!!

when you guys go to the doctor, do you ever try to diagnose yourself for them? i just went to the dermatologist with this skin rash-type thing on my neck (ewwwww) and was trying to tell him what things i thought were important and why i didn't think it was from the environment, why it might be localized, etc. i even annoy myself with that! but he said i made one really good observation that was key to the diagnosis - now i'll just keep the self-diagnosis going...

somewhere2010 said:
when you guys go to the doctor, do you ever try to diagnose yourself for them? i just went to the dermatologist with this skin rash-type thing on my neck (ewwwww) and was trying to tell him what things i thought were important and why i didn't think it was from the environment, why it might be localized, etc. i even annoy myself with that! but he said i made one really good observation that was key to the diagnosis - now i'll just keep the self-diagnosis going...

I hear you on that. Although it is very rare that I go to the doctor's, when I do go I make sure to look up everything on what I think my ailment/illness might be. My reasoning is probably pretty flawed most of the time, but either way its worth a shot.

Maybe you're allergic to rural Illinois and the only cure is some good NYC pizza. Probably not right, but thats my diagnosis so far. Anyhow, I hope the rash gets better.

I'm constantly diagnosing my own medical condition. And the medical conditions of those around me. After all, I did pretty well in intro biology.

I also find myself believing that the causes and remedies to these various conditions are absurd and nonsensical things. Like, oh, the skin on your leg is peeling off... haven't been drinking enough OJ, have you? Or, geez, I've been dizzy for a couple of weeks, I should be sure to have a beer or two before I go to bed tonight. It seems I've come to subscribe to a strange modern belief in the 4 humors. We all, I've come to believe, are little more than an amalgam of orange juice, coffee, beer, and water. And when that balance is skewed, well, havoc ensues.

I probably shouldn't be a doctor.

you know, coffee, OJ, beer, and water really do constitute about 70% of what i consume! we should talk, mr jordan...

oddly enough, the only thing known to help my neck-only pityriasis rosea is sunlight! so, instead of going to work at 10am, i took my ipod and a blanket to my front yard, cranked my head back, and laid out for 45 minutes :) now i'm eating a turtle brownie and diet coke for breakfast, which i've convinced myself will help to further activate the vitamin D that is certainly key to making my neck look normal again... :oops:

On a different note, who's a fan of the following shows? I'm big on communal viewings, and my room's gonna be wide open for these shows.

Lost
the Sopranos
Entourage
Nip/Tuck

sorry, I don't watch Grey's Anatomy...:p

somewhere2010 said:
you know, coffee, OJ, beer, and water really do constitute about 70% of what i consume! we should talk, mr jordan...

oddly enough, the only thing known to help my neck-only pityriasis rosea is sunlight! so, instead of going to work at 10am, i took my ipod and a blanket to my front yard, cranked my head back, and laid out for 45 minutes :) now i'm eating a turtle brownie and diet coke for breakfast, which i've convinced myself will help to further activate the vitamin D that is certainly key to making my neck look normal again... :oops:

PBL's going to be a cakewalk.

macadamianut said:
On a different note, who's a fan of the following shows? I'm big on communal viewings, and my room's gonna be wide open for these shows.

Lost
the Sopranos
Entourage
Nip/Tuck

Entourage! You think they'll let us hit golf balls off the roof at Olin towards people's houses on the UES?

macadamianut said:
Lost
the Sopranos
Entourage
Nip/Tuck

You hit my top 3 (in order): Nip/Tuck, Entourage, Sopranos

By the way do we have TV cable hook-ups in Olin and HBO for that matter?

Rebs said:
You hit my top 3 (in order): Nip/Tuck, Entourage, Sopranos

By the way do we have TV cable hook-ups in Olin and HBO for that matter?

We do have cable hookups, but only a basic basic package. You have to purchase ESPN and HBO.

I haven't had cable since high school...looks like I will have a lot of catching up to do!

blueray83 said:
I haven't had cable since high school...
Wait. What? Wh... But then why do you get up in the morning?

I don't watch television much either, but I can learn.
MrJordan said:
Wait. What? Wh... But then why do you get up in the morning?

Hey, I am going to be at Cornell Jul 9-11. I am meeting with the PI for the lab I chose. Does anyone know of a place I could stay? If anyone does, I would be thrilled and I would stay out of their hair.

Hey if anyone else is in the Bay Area over the next few weeks and wants to meet up, I think a few of us are gonna do that sometime soon. Send me a PM and let me know if you're interested

Everytime I see New York in a commercial or on TV, I start to get real excited. Its hard to believe that we're just about 2 months away from moving in! It will go by quick, which is good for me because then I'm done with this work/job thing I have going on.

Question for you guys, I know that we start cAMP on the 18th with white coat on the 22nd, but what happens the rest of the week since I know classes don't start until the 28th?

Good ?

Rebs said:
Everytime I see New York in a commercial or on TV, I start to get real excited. Its hard to believe that we're just about 2 months away from moving in! It will go by quick, which is good for me because then I'm done with this work/job thing I have going on.

Question for you guys, I know that we start cAMP on the 18th with white coat on the 22nd, but what happens the rest of the week since I know classes don't start until the 28th?

i think that week is fulll of orientation stuff. mainly filling in financial aid paperwork from what ive heard and partying..haha.

i was thinking maybe we could introduce ourselves since we're all gonna be future classmates in two months..and we're still using screennames. i'll go first!

name: daisy
undergrad: uc berkeley
home: los angeles, california
summer plans: work, beaches (i'm getting my fill of california this summer), trip to asia
thing most excited about cornell: getting to live in nyc for four years =)
any other question people?? i'm drawing a blank now..

undergrad: U of Mich
home: I lived lots o places, sticks in MI, Detroit, MI, Ann Arbor, MI, Lexington, MA, Boston, MA
summer plans: started a non-profit for grants for scleroderma, lupus etc and a clinic in OK, hanging out for a week or so in derm, otherwise, hanging out.
Excited: I just loved Cornell. It is my fav.

dazey said:
i think that week is fulll of orientation stuff. mainly filling in financial aid paperwork from what ive heard and partying..haha.

i was thinking maybe we could introduce ourselves since we're all gonna be future classmates in two months..and we're still using screennames. i'll go first!

name: daisy
undergrad: uc berkeley
home: los angeles, california
summer plans: work, beaches (i'm getting my fill of california this summer), trip to asia
thing most excited about cornell: getting to live in nyc for four years =)
any other question people?? i'm drawing a blank now..

akaz: What's "derm?" I for some reason think dermatology...

name: Dan
undergrad: Yale
home: Nashville, TN
summer plans: health policy research for a multi-site demonstration project
What I'm most excited for? Might sound corny, but the people I met at revisit.

How was the revisit for those of you that went in May? Did they take you out at all, or show you around town? If Dan is stoked on meeting the poeple from revisit then it must've been good.