Cornell class of 2010!!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TriniToDeBone

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I can't believe it - pinch me I might be dreaming! :eek:

PBL here I come...

Members don't see this ad.

TriniToDeBone said:
I can't believe it - pinch me I might be dreaming! :eek:

PBL here I come...

I'll join you on the thread. You definitely headed to Cornell?

etown said:
I'll join you on the thread. You definitely headed to Cornell?

Is anything about this process "definite" until May 15th? As for today - yes!

Members don't see this ad :)
Did you guys just get admitted and how did you hear, through e-mail??

When did you get the e-mail?

I'm really happy that the tuition is so reasonable compared to state schools. This is my only chance to live in Manhattan for so cheap. Who is going to the second look day in May? I am 90% sure I'm going to cornell, but I want to make sure the PBL is right for me. This thread needs to be more active, who else is going?

Carina said:
I'm really happy that the tuition is so reasonable compared to state schools. This is my only chance to live in Manhattan for so cheap. Who is going to the second look day in May? I am 90% sure I'm going to cornell, but I want to make sure the PBL is right for me. This thread needs to be more active, who else is going?

Hi!
I feel just like you. Cornell is my first choice so I'm elated and hoping PBL is right for me as well. I guess I'll see you at 2nd look.... :love:

Hey everyone, just found this thread today. I'm heading to 2nd look for sure. You guys think it'll be helpful? I'm kinda skeptical even though i don't usually pass up on a chance to go to NYC

hey y'all! i just found this thread today - i think the title needs a little more pizazz to get more attention! anyway i, as most of us, keep wavering about where i am going...but cornell is very high up on my list, especially with their solid financial aid packaging :) i already went to the minority revisit weekend last month, but if i'm still confused by early may, or sure i want to go and meet my classmates, i'll go up for second look as well!

at our revisit, we did a little mock PBL with a non-medical case, just to get a feel for how it works. it was pretty fun, and i see the value in the exercise! just wondering if it would get old, or how effective it would be if your group kinda sucks...butit's not like i know how good or bad pure lecture will be for me either! *sigh*

What up, I'm gonna keep the dream alive on this one..

just got my financial aid package in the mail...not bad at all! :) it's amazing how radically just the need-based portion can differ from one school to another!

somewhere2010 said:
just got my financial aid package in the mail...not bad at all! :) it's amazing how radically just the need-based portion can differ from one school to another!

How long after turning everything in did it take for them to give you an estimate?

Members don't see this ad :)
i had everything submitted by the end of march...i emailed gladys laden a few days later to get an idea of when i might hear back, and she said she would start putting together packages this past week. maybe mine got done quickly because i had just emailed her? you'll probably hear soon :)

bumpity bump! where are all the cornell lovers? :love:

anyone for sure going to cornell in the fall? i'm starting to lean that way more and more...

somewhere2010 said:
bumpity bump! where are all the cornell lovers? :love:

anyone for sure going to cornell in the fall? i'm starting to lean that way more and more...

Same here, I'm going to 2 more second looks but it will be tough to top NYC and plasma screens in the anatomy lab.

Probably going there too, it's getting harder and harder to consider the idea of declining going to NY when you've kind of let it sink in for a month or so. Waitlists will make the final decision for me. But have fun at second look! I'm in CA and don't want to fork over the cash to go

i don't know about anyone else, but i still wrestle with the fact that cornell isn't attached to a whole university. i mean, it's not like med school is going to resemble college very much anyway, but i think that the absence of a campus and students who are studying totally non-science subjects will take some getting used to.

then again, i have had that experience, and it was wonderful - now i can move on and be like a character on "sex and the city," right? :p ahaha

Yeah it might be a disadvantage not having an undergrad institution close by -but my other chioces are similar so it doesn't bother me that much.

I can't imagine turning down an acceptance to attend Cornell - It would hurt me to the bones if I decided to write Cornell a withdrwal letter.

However I would love to hear from any current Cornellians about how they feel about the curriculum (the weaknesses and strenghts) and also what's with the long time the studnets are given to prepare for step 1. I heard that you have 2 months off to prepare for it - is this true and if it is why so long? I don't know of another school that's so generous.
Thanks,
Trini

I won't be coming to 2nd look next week because its pretty expensive coming from CA. However, I came in March for the first 2nd look and I had a great time. The students, the area, the facilities were great. For the most part they did an awesome job selling the school. Unless my fin aid gets messed with, it will be real hard not to come here.

Rebs said:
I won't be coming to 2nd look next week because its pretty expensive coming from CA. However, I came in March for the first 2nd look and I had a great time. The students, the area, the facilities were great. For the most part they did an awesome job selling the school. Unless my fin aid gets messed with, it will be real hard not to come here.

I'm confused - there was a 2nd look in March?

TriniToDeBone said:
I'm confused - there was a 2nd look in March?

The true name is "Minority Accepted Students Weekend."

Rebs said:
The true name is "Minority Accepted Students Weekend."

Got it!

Second look is less than a week away and I"m excited. Whose palnning on attending?

I am on a waiting list to Cornell. Does any body know if there is a way to attend the 2nd look event ? Admissions office told me no.

I'm going to Cornell's second look weekend. It's sooo expensive to miss work and the flights to get there (from CA) but I'm combining it with a visit with relatives and friends. I'll see you all there!

Carina said:
I'm going to Cornell's second look weekend. It's sooo expensive to miss work and the flights to get there (from CA) but I'm combining it with a visit with relatives and friends. I'll see you all there!

Great! I'm no expert on coming over from the West Coast but I use Jet Blue alot to travel around the North East - did you check them out? Also some airlines will give you cheaper rates to La Guardia instead of JFK and from La Guardia you can get a bus that will bring you into the city if you don't want to shell out a lot for a yellow cab. Also some people use Super Shuttle (I never have) and I think they are cheaper than cabs. Anyone want to give their 2 cents on Super Shuttle?

TriniToDeBone said:
Great! I'm no expert on coming over from the West Coast but I use Jet Blue alot to travel around the North East - did you check them out? Also some airlines will give you cheaper rate to La Guardia instead of JFK and from La Guardia you can get a bus that will bring you into the city if you don't want to shell out a lot for a yellow cab. Aslo some people use Super Shuttle (I never had) and I think they are cheaper than cabs. Anyone want to give their 2 cents on Super Shuttle?

Super shuttle is cheaper than a cab, but it takes forever to get to your destination in the city.

mac921 said:
Super shuttle is cheaper than a cab, but it takes forever to get to your destination in the city.

Super Shuttle which is like $17 from LGA is highly recommended over the $12 bus. I'm from CA, but the 2 times I've come out Super Shuttle dropped me off first so it wasn't too bad.

I won't be able to come out for the weekend, but hopefully you guys can let me know how it goes.

hey all! i'm not going to make it for second look either...having a cinco de mayo party friday, and i'm pretty sure i won't be in shape for a 4 hour bus ride saturday morning! anyway i'm like 99.9% sure i'm going to cornell!! hope you all have a great time and decide to go there too! :love:

somewhere2010 said:
hey all! i'm not going to make it for second look either...having a cinco de mayo party friday, and i'm pretty sure i won't be in shape for a 4 hour bus ride saturday morning! anyway i'm like 99.9% sure i'm going to cornell!! hope you all have a great time and decide to go there too! :love:

I'm glad to hear you're coming to Cornell. Believe me Upper East Side Manhattan blows Ann Arbor away (in my opinion). It'll be good times.

Rebs said:
Super Shuttle which is like $17 from LGA is highly recommended over the $12 bus. I'm from CA, but the 2 times I've come out Super Shuttle dropped me off first so it wasn't too bad.

I don't know about Super Shuttle but I think this is the bus Rebs is referring to: http://www.nyairportservice.com/ My experience with them has been pretty good (I've taken them to the airport several times, but only from the airport once and it was a little more of a hassle) and since it drops you off at Grand Central you'll only be a quick subway ride from Cornell.

Also, if you're coming into JFK you can take the subway (A train) into the city -- it's really easy if you don't have a ton of stuff with you.

Rebs and somewhere2010 it's a pity I won't be meeting you guys. I'll try and remember details to fill you in, although I'm not sure how good I'll be.
Somewhere 2010 I think you'll need a new username soon - How about Cornell2010 :cool: Well it's good to have you 99.9% onboard.

TriniToDeBone said:
Rebs and somewhere2010 it's a pity I won't be meeting you guys. I'll try and remember details to fill you in, although I'm not sure how good I'll be.
Somewhere 2010 I think you'll need a new username soon - How about Cornell2010 :cool: Well it's good to have you 99.9% onboard.

Hey, I'm not gonna be able to make it to 2nd look cause i couldn't make it out from CA, but do you mind asking around about whether students bring laptops to class? I'm trying to decide what computer to get and just wanted to see what 1st and 2nd years tend to do there. I'd be super appreciative if you could see what students say about that. Thanks! :D

mexikian said:
Hey, I'm not gonna be able to make it to 2nd look cause i couldn't make it out from CA, but do you mind asking around about whether students bring laptops to class? I'm trying to decide what computer to get and just wanted to see what 1st and 2nd years tend to do there. I'd be super appreciative if you could see what students say about that. Thanks! :D

They said a couple do bring laptops to class but it's not necesarry. Also they said you can get by without a laptop and the school supprts both mac and PC - so anything goes.

How'd it go people?

bumping....
How was second look?

I had a great time at second look. The med students are so happy and social. There was lots of free food and lots of information about the school. PBL was my only concern and now I think it's not so bad at all in the long run. It will be so easy to live in Olin Hall, everything is furnished and subsidized so it's a great deal. I was happy with how the weekend turned out. To the Californians: I flew from LGA back to Oakland with ATA and then Southwest. It was cheap but I don't recommend it because i had a 3 hour lay over in Chicago midway. nonstop flights from SFO to JFK seem really expensive though. I'm not sure what to do about flights.

Carina said:
To the Californians: I flew from LGA back to Oakland with ATA and then Southwest. It was cheap but I don't recommend it because i had a 3 hour lay over in Chicago midway. nonstop flights from SFO to JFK seem really expensive though. I'm not sure what to do about flights.

Nonstop flights on Jetblue from Oakland or San Jose to JFK are generally the best. SFO to JFK is usually really expensive. However, Jetblue has been jacking up their prices a little recently...so the savings might not be as great as they once were.

Okay due to unforseen cicumastances I only made it to the first day so here it is....
I started with a financial aid session. They didn't say anything that was not already known. Then a tour of the hospital, reserach lab, library and antomy lab all of which we saw during the interview except for the labs - top notch facilites. The pratice PBL was like others I had attended. I asked the students how they felt about it and they said it beats having a lecture at 8am and they thought it correlated well with what was being taught in class. I also realised that most of the IVY schools have PBL, so if you're not considering other IVY schools you can't get away from it - that is at least the ones I interviewed at. Correct me if anyone knows of those that don't do PBL. Then there was a get to together for about half hour for non traditionals in a married couple's apartment. Very nice - glad to see they acknowledge not everyone is fresh out of college. Many people had kids and their spouse lived with them in Ladson Hall. Very nice housing after 2nd year. Olin hall is one of the best dorm set ups I've seen in NYC outside of Mt Sinai where I wasn't keen on living with 3 or 4 people in a suite. The plus of Olin hall over other dorm style living is having to share your bathroom with only one other person. Then we had a social - it was very very nice. This was the only 2nd look I went to where everyone was not greeting me wiht "Are you sure youre going to come here - so what other schools are you considering? I appreciated that. There was an array of food for us meat lovers and some great veggies for the vegetarians - the eggplant was particualry good. Also there was a host of desserts from Italian pastries to cheese cake, great wine (water and soda as well). Cornell really knows how to cater for large groups. Some of the faculty walked around and chatted with us, the anatomy lab professor was charming and all the students LOVE him - I can't wait to have him as a teacher. They said he does his best to make sure you have all the materials need to pass. I know everyone talks about how great the medical students at their school is but here I felt the class warmth and togetherness. There were 1st, 2nd (who took a break form board preparation), 3rd and 4th years I all met - who did not only come o eat. They were fantastic - interesting. The students did some performances - so much talent I'm jealous. They sang and did step. I was really pleased to see all races doing step and the students being excited by it. I wish I could give you guys my minds eye so you can experience what I did, I don't think words can justify how great I felt about the school. Most of hte students I spoke with were sure they were coming - bear in mind I did speak with everyone and no one on day 2. I believe the traditional and non traditional student can find a happy medium at Cornell and I am convinced I've found my perfect fit.

By the way who else thinks cAMP is the way to go for orientation?

Thanks for that long recap. I wasn't able to make the 2nd look, but I'm definitely heading to Cornell next year and am glad to hear that you had such positive impressions. I loved the place on my interview day.

I'll be a 'nontraditional' student too next year -- I really hate that label -- and had a few questions about housing, etc. My wife and I are both currently working full-time in good jobs and so we are able to currently live in a nice apartment, which we've gotten use to and really appreciate. Housing at Cornell is such a good deal and it would be very difficult to pass it up, but we are slightly concerned about living in student housing. I don't want to sound like we're snobs, but after you've lived independently for years, it feels really hard to give up some of the freedoms/luxuries that adults are accustomed to and move back into university-owned buildings. Could you write a little bit more about the size of the apartment and how it felt? We understand it isn't a dorm room, but we've seen the pictures on Cornell's housing website and Lasdon looks very institutional and not very homey. Did you find this to be the case? Was it a decent size apartment? Was it dark with small windows? My wife really isn't excited about the grayish brown indoor/outdoor carpeting.

It is a good deal at ~1500/month, but there are other small 1br apartments on 1st Ave, York, etc. that are decent that go for ~1900, which is more, but not that much more.

Also, I haven't received any info on orientation yet. The admissions office said they would send that out after May 15th. What is the difference between the cAMP (<--does anyone else think that is terribly dorky?) and the Urban Adventure? Just wondering.

Thanks again for your informative post.

Hi,
Why not try and call the admissions office and see if they can arrange for you to see an apartment. I loved the apartments. They were not small - had more room than I anticipated and more than some of the 1 bedrooms I've seen in Manhattan (although you will have to judge how it compares to the one you have right now). Yes they have greyish carpeting but I think you can over look that - I think it was in the hallway alone (not sure though). Lots of ligts, no utilites bills, new gym facilites - these are just some of the things I liked. I think you should definitely try and see if you can get to see one and judge for yourself.

cAMP is a hking trip they take the new students on. The urban adventure is an out on the town trip you can do instead. The current students told me that as a New Yorker they liked cAMP since thy had the NY experience already. Therefore I think if you live in NY or a big city and not interested in seeing another big city cAMP is the way to go.

sonicator said:
Thanks for that long recap. I wasn't able to make the 2nd look, but I'm definitely heading to Cornell next year and am glad to hear that you had such positive impressions. I loved the place on my interview day.

I'll be a 'nontraditional' student too next year -- I really hate that label -- and had a few questions about housing, etc. My wife and I are both currently working full-time in good jobs and so we are able to currently live in a nice apartment, which we've gotten use to and really appreciate. Housing at Cornell is such a good deal and it would be very difficult to pass it up, but we are slightly concerned about living in student housing. I don't want to sound like we're snobs, but after you've lived independently for years, it feels really hard to give up some of the freedoms/luxuries that adults are accustomed to and move back into university-owned buildings. Could you write a little bit more about the size of the apartment and how it felt? We understand it isn't a dorm room, but we've seen the pictures on Cornell's housing website and Lasdon looks very institutional and not very homey. Did you find this to be the case? Was it a decent size apartment? Was it dark with small windows? My wife really isn't excited about the grayish brown indoor/outdoor carpeting.

It is a good deal at ~1500/month, but there are other small 1br apartments on 1st Ave, York, etc. that are decent that go for ~1900, which is more, but not that much more.

Also, I haven't received any info on orientation yet. The admissions office said they would send that out after May 15th. What is the difference between the cAMP (<--does anyone else think that is terribly dorky?) and the Urban Adventure? Just wondering.

Thanks again for your informative post.

I loved Cornell. It was my favorite. I chose it over many schools and I am getting no scholarship money. So how many others are choosing cornell or thinking about it?

akaz said:
I loved Cornell. It was my favorite. I chose it over many schools and I am getting no scholarship money. So how many others are choosing cornell or thinking about it?

You have no idea how hard Cornell is making it for me. I loved Cornell and obviously the atmosphere of NYC. I'm from SoCal, have never lived anywhere else and have the opportunity to stay here in CA at another tremendous school. I just don't know if I could seriously regret not taking a chance on Cornell. I'm split 50/50 at this point and it's gonna be a tough week of decisions.

Rebs said:
You have no idea how hard Cornell is making it for me. I loved Cornell and obviously the atmosphere of NYC. I'm from SoCal, have never lived anywhere else and have the opportunity to stay here in CA at another tremendous school. I just don't know if I could seriously regret not taking a chance on Cornell. I'm split 50/50 at this point and it's gonna be a tough week of decisions.

rebs, i can sort of imagine what you're going through! i was mostly deciding between michigan and cornell...though i went to school out east and still live here, i'm from the midwest (illinois!) and feel a little more comfortable there. but in the end, i knew that i really wanted to be at cornell and in NYC because it's where i've always dreamed of being at this time of life...plus i like the school a little better. :rolleyes: i could have gone to michigan and been happy, but i realized that it was just the safer option. i guess you could say that going to cornell is a bit more of a risk, but it's one that i think will pay off greatly :love:

Why is Cornell more of a risk than Michigan? What's this risk?

Rebs said:

Rebs,
I know what I'm about to tell you is nothing new but it's good advice and what people who have said they are happy at their school did - "Go with your gut - the school that makes you feel inside that's where I see myself happy for the next 4 years"

TriniToDeBone said:
Rebs,
I know what I'm about to tell you is nothing new but it's good advice and what people who have said they are happy at their school did - "Go with your gut - the school that makes you feel inside that's where I see myself happy for the next 4 years"

Thanks Trini, I appreciate you participating in my "indecisiveness intervention." You're absolutely right in needing to go with my gut feeling. The thing is Cornell would be the big risk because NYC is completely foreign to me. However therein lies the allure that I know nothing about this place and the adventure that it could be. My heart says New York, but my head (and of course my Mom) says LA.

Rebs said:
Thanks Trini, I appreciate you participating in my "indecisiveness intervention." You're absolutely right in needing to go with my gut feeling. The thing is Cornell would be the big risk because NYC is completely foreign to me. However therein lies the allure that I know nothing about this place and the adevnture that it could be. My heart says New York, but my head (and my Mom) says LA.

Sometimes we mature and grow by learning from new experiences and moving out of our comfort zone. So something foreign that can seem like a risk can also become a defining momment for your life, perspective and personality. However, if being closer to family is of utmost importance a risk may not be worth it.

Go to LA, so i can get off the waitlist... haha. kidding.
But they are right, I was in your position about a week ago and i broke the tie by talking to students at the two schools. Ask questions based on things that are important to you, find out the schools strengths and weaknesses (they all have them) then go with where you feel the most comfort.

Consider where you want to do your residency, well maybe not.. with your schools you can go anywhere.
Goodluck!

I bet you can visit anytime though. If you really want to go, I would send them I want to go emails.

Russian said:
I am on a waiting list to Cornell. Does any body know if there is a way to attend the 2nd look event ? Admissions office told me no.