Cornell class of 2010!!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
mexikian said:
Congrats on your decision! Have a fun weekend celebrating.

BTW Argonana and I were talking and we're thinking all NorCal people heading to Cornell should meet up sometime before school starts, so anybody who's in the Bay Area, PM me or let's think up some ideas on the forum...

beat me to it!

Members don't see this ad.

Sounds like a splendid idea, although I'll be gone down to socal from 5/31- 6/8, but I'm down after that. Mexikan, you have PM... let's round up the troops :thumbup:

argonana said:
beat me to it!

Hah! Well I don't think we can plan anything before 5/31 unless you all wanna go to a bar or something Sunday or Monday night, so after 6/8 it is. Let's talk in the next few weeks...

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys...meeting up in NorCal sounds awesome! I am down in San Luis Obispo (central coast) and will be here until the middle of July. July is the best month for me...
Congrats on a great decision, Re-Evolution! That's great that you are coming, I always wanted to work on my swim strokes (which are probably awful).
I am still waiting on my financial aid, but am pretty much on board (yeah, you got me Rebs :)).

I'm here in San Francisco right up until the week before orientation. I'll be out of town off and on throughout July, but until then, I'll be sitting in my apartment, working my way through my Netflix queue.

blueray83 said:
I am still waiting on my financial aid, but am pretty much on board (yeah, you got me Rebs :)).

See thats what I am talkin' about! I get a commission for every person I help steal from CA. I'm totally kidding, I'm just happy you'll be at Cornell and we can get made fun of together for being from CA. Seriously though, I'm really happy you will be choosing Cornell!

My east coast preparation has consisited of watching the Sopranos so I can get the lingo down and the accent. You should try it.

Man, I felt like such a loner that night before the interview, walking around the city at midnight. Good to know now it's like a Cali field trip to new york :D Mexikan has gathered a list of 4-5 norcal people so far, I know there's a couple more here.

I have a few questions:

So do you guys all have your housing/FinAid/Immun. stuff squared away? I just got the packet last night, and I'm still fumbling w/ all the forms I need to fill out.

Do I have this right:

Housing: Just one form, and we are guarenteed housing in Olin?
What date did you guys put as the "From___ TO___" part?

FinAid: As long as we have the FAFSA and NeedAccess done, we are set?

Immunizations: Find old Immunization records and fill out the forms accordingly?

Get a physical

Re-Evolution said:
Man, I felt like such a loner that night before the interview, walking around the city at midnight. Good to know now it's like a Cali field trip to new york :D Mexikan has gathered a list of 4-5 norcal people so far, I know there's a couple more here.

I have a few questions:

So do you guys all have your housing/FinAid/Immun. stuff squared away? I just got the packet last night, and I'm still fumbling w/ all the forms I need to fill out.

Do I have this right:

Immunizations: Find old Immunization records and fill out the forms accordingly?

Get a physical

i mailed in my housing app in last week but haven't done anything else "official" beyond sending in my deposit.

on a totally unrelated note, i'm sad i can't be part of the fun california bunch! any other midwesterners here? i'm from illinois, though an east coast transplant for 6 years now!

So I'm a newcomer to this thread... from down south... and I'm heading to Cornell in the fall...

But even better... I'm actually moving to NYC in a week... I'm working in a reserach lab at Cornell for the summer... woo hoo!! ;)

So for anyone already in the city... let me know... so we can meet and greet... and have a good time!! By the way... any other fellow southerners?

GAMSlady said:
So I'm a newcomer to this thread... from down south... and I'm heading to Cornell in the fall...

But even better... I'm actually moving to NYC in a week... I'm working in a reserach lab at Cornell for the summer... woo hoo!! ;)

So for anyone already in the city... let me know... so we can meet and greet... and have a good time!! By the way... any other fellow southerners?

i'll likely be in the city the weekend of june 18, just to visit friend and to hopefully to check out how small the olin hall rooms are so i don't bring too much stuff with me! we should meet up :) are you living in the dorms over the summer?

somewhere2010 said:
i'll likely be in the city the weekend of june 18, just to visit friend and to hopefully to check out how small the olin hall rooms are so i don't bring too much stuff with me! we should meet up :) are you living in the dorms over the summer?

We should definitely meet up! I'm living in Olin, too... so you can feel free to drop by and see my room! =)

gosh with all this norcal love..isnt there anyone else from socal heading to cornell?

and i agree with Re-Evolution, this is becoming a Cali field trip to Cornell =)

on an unrelated note, does anyone plan to hit up the musicals and shows on Broadway while we're living in the city of all cities??

dazey said:
gosh with all this norcal love..isnt there anyone else from socal heading to cornell?

and i agree with Re-Evolution, this is becoming a Cali field trip to Cornell =)

on an unrelated note, does anyone plan to hit up the musicals and shows on Broadway while we're living in the city of all cities??

Sunny San Diego right here.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey any folks from the midwest or northeast out there?

Although I love the CA representation. Just wondering if there are any quiet folks out there?

akaz said:
Hey any folks from the midwest or northeast out there?

Although I love the CA representation. Just wondering if there are any quiet folks out there?
I'm pretending to be from California, though I left Orange County when I was 9 and didn't move to San Francisco until I was 26. I spent much of the interim living in New Hampshire (represent, Granite Staters!). Went to college in Atlanta (get a load of these yankee sons a bitches, eh GAMS?). Then spent a couple of years teaching in New York (how 'bout them Yankees? Fuggetaboutit.), then did a post-bacc in Boston (I'm well aware of how much the Yankees blow, and how ridiculous Johnny looks in pinstripes).

What I'm saying is, I'll join any regional group that needs joining. Though I may not be one of the "quiet folks" you were talking about.

I can pretend to be from the northeast.

I went to college in Brunswick, Maine (only one school there, ha). Then, after a one-year respite in San Diego, I moved to Washington, DC. I was in DC for the last year and a half.

argonana said:
I can pretend to be from the northeast.

I went to college in Brunswick, Maine (only one school there, ha). Then, after a one-year respite in San Diego, I moved to Washington, DC. I was in DC for the last year and a half.

I am originally from MI but lived in Boston for a long time. My spouse is from Boston and has a lot of family in NYC. One thing that is strange. I am tall for the northeast. I am female and 5 ' 9. However, when I am in MI or MN, I am average height. A bizarre thing to notice, but I feel like I tower over people in the northeast.

akaz said:
I am originally from MI but lived in Boston for a long time. My spouse is from Boston and has a lot of family in NYC. One thing that is strange. I am tall for the northeast. I am female and 5 ' 9. However, when I am in MI or MN, I am average height. A bizarre thing to notice, but I feel like I tower over people in the northeast.

Hah!! I'm a measly 5'3'' and felt almost average during college. It was nice.

argonana said:
Hah!! I'm a measly 5'3'' and felt almost average during college. It was nice.
Yeah, I think that is the ave height. Funny. My husband is 5'6 and we pretend he isn't shorter than I am.

GAMSlady said:
We should definitely meet up! I'm living in Olin, too... so you can feel free to drop by and see my room! =)

Hi everyone! I'm new to this site. I registered to say, if the people in California can find a way to meet up, surely us in the city can do the same! GAMSlady, we can't be the only two. At the moment, I'm working in a lab at our nemesis, Columbia.

I was wasting some time the other day trolling around the internet and came across this awesome new site that has 'bird's eye views' of alot of the US. I was looking around our new neighborhood on the UES and noticed something quite peculiar. There, sitting atop the New York Hospital, is a tennis court!!! Check it out:

http://local.live.com/default.aspx?...sp=aN.qstt898v3bgw_Tennis%20court%3f%3f%3f___

Who do you think gets to use this?

sonicator said:
I was wasting some time the other day trolling around the internet and came across this awesome new site that has 'bird's eye views' of alot of the US. I was looking around our new neighborhood on the UES and noticed something quite peculiar. There, sitting atop the New York Hospital, is a tennis court!!! Check it out:

http://local.live.com/default.aspx?...sp=aN.qstt898v3bgw_Tennis%20court%3f%3f%3f___

Who do you think gets to use this?

who that's wild! i want to use it :)

so who else is experiencing 90 degree weather + humidity? that will be a nice shock for the cali crew...but i LOVE it!

somewhere2010 said:

so who else is experiencing 90 degree weather + humidity? that will be a nice shock for the cali crew...but i LOVE it!

96 today baby. However, it looks like a nasty storm is on its way.

somewhere2010 said:

C'mon it can't get that humid, right?

Rebs said:
C'mon it can't get that humid, right?

Oh yes, it can. I remeber when I was a kid and some construction workers from southern texas (hotter and more humid than hell) came to Michigan and were surprised how hot and humid it gets in the summer. I am used to it. Also for real cold weather, arteryx or cloudveil keep you the warmest and are wind and water proof. However, NYC is much warmer than MI in the winter like 20 degrees on ave.

I think 38 deg. was the coldest weather I have ever been in and that was in Philadelphia during interview season.

I was hoping to see the cold/bad weather when I came to NYC but everytime I came it was a perfect 65-70 degree sunny weather.

Rebs said:
I think 38 deg. was the coldest weather I have ever been in and that was in Philadelphia during interview season.

I was hoping to see the cold/bad weather when I came to NYC but everytime I came it was a perfect 65-70 degree sunny weather.

aww rebs, that's cute...believe me, sometimes 38 feels balmy compared to what it can be. NYC winters really aren't that bad, but some days it will get really cold and windy and you'll occasionally want to curl up in a ball and cry a little. but then you'll put on a nice peacoat and a cool scarf and go ice skating in central park, and it will all suddenly be worth it :)

Re-Evolution said:

I have a few questions:

Do I have this right:

Get a physical

Hey...I don't know if you've figured all this out yet, but this is what I know...
Yes, guaranteed housing in Olin. As far as the dates go, I didn't know, so I put 08/2006-06/2010...I am not sure if they guarantee housing all four years, but maybe this will increase my chances??? ;)
Regarding the financial aid, it only seems like you're missing the part where you have to send in you + your parent's W-2's and copies of your tax returns. I know...how much more double checking can they possibly do? :p
And, sorry, but I don't exactly know anything about the health-related stuff. I have kinda put that in the back of my mind for now.

All this talk of weather is making me sweat and shiver. I, like Rebs, tried for the bad weather, but only ended up with the most beautiful October day I could have asked for. So what you're all trying to say is that it isn't like that every day? I feel so betrayed! :laugh:
Okay, now that I've used every smiley on here, I think I've gotta go...

blueray83 said:
Hey...I don't know if you've figured all this out yet, but this is what I know...
Yes, guaranteed housing in Olin. As far as the dates go, I didn't know, so I put 08/2006-06/2010...I am not sure if they guarantee housing all four years, but maybe this will increase my chances??? ;)
Regarding the financial aid, it only seems like you're missing the part where you have to send in you + your parent's W-2's and copies of your tax returns. I know...how much more double checking can they possibly do? :p
And, sorry, but I don't exactly know anything about the health-related stuff. I have kinda put that in the back of my mind for now.

All this talk of weather is making me sweat and shiver. I, like Rebs, tried for the bad weather, but only ended up with the most beautiful October day I could have asked for. So what you're all trying to say is that it isn't like that every day? I feel so betrayed! :laugh:
Okay, now that I've used every smiley on here, I think I've gotta go...

You see blueray, they duped us CA peeps with that awesome weather back in October. I'm kidding, but Somewhere2010 is absolutely right in saying that yeah it will be cold at times but we'll be able to experince things that are not possible anywhere else. Things like ice skating at Central Park, watching the Rockefeller tree light up, seeing David Blaine try to drown himself, and actually living in the snow (bizzare I know). Anyhow, even if those awesome October days are not always the norm, its still nice to know that we can still have that gorgeous weather that we are so used to from time to time.

i get this feeling that us cali people are going to need a new wardrobe this coming winter..

somewhere2010 said:
aww rebs, that's cute...believe me, sometimes 38 feels balmy compared to what it can be. NYC winters really aren't that bad, but some days it will get really cold and windy and you'll occasionally want to curl up in a ball and cry a little. but then you'll put on a nice peacoat and a cool scarf and go ice skating in central park, and it will all suddenly be worth it :)

dazey said:
i get this feeling that us cali people are going to need a new wardrobe this coming winter..

oooh, did someone say shopping? :love:

Are there any other avatar-less folks out there who now feel completely sub-par? Just me?

MrJordan said:
Are there any other avatar-less folks out there who now feel completely sub-par? Just me?

aw mrjordan, i'm sure you've got some random a$$ pictures buried somewhere, eh? mine's from halloween...i don't just wander the streets wearing a blonde wig most days :p

I am so excited!!! I found a neat lab at Rockefeller. So It is definately, Cornell!

hey guys, i'm with akaz...i'm in!!!
it's been a hard decision, so thanks for all the support.
so i guess it's time to get that new wardrobe, but i hate shopping...somewhere2010, help!

Welcome aboard Akaz and Blueray!

So Akaz, what kind of lab did you find? I think being able to do research at Rockefeller is an awesome opportunity. Whats weird is that even though Cornell has the Tri-I affiliations, the USNews report doesn't count the money of Rockefeller and Sloan-Kettering. Even though we are able to work in those labs I think technically they are separate entities from Cornell. Anyhow I digress, congrats again to both of you.

And to Blueray, I'm really happy you're in since we both had to go thru the same tough decision, but I think we absolutely made the right one.

Hey guys,

I bought tickets to Australia assuming I'd go to another med school (what was I thinking?), but as it stands, I'd miss orientation and possibly even the white coat ceremony.

Can somebody give me the dates for urban, cAMP, the boat tour, and the white coat ceremony? I think i'm gonna bite the $250 bullet and change my ticket.

macadamianut said:
Hey guys,

I bought tickets to Australia assuming I'd go to another med school (what was I thinking?), but as it stands, I'd miss orientation and possibly even the white coat ceremony.

Can somebody give me the dates for urban, cAMP, the boat tour, and the white coat ceremony? I think i'm gonna bite the $250 bullet and change my ticket.

I'm confused as to whether you said you are coming to Cornell or you're not? Or does having a good time in Australia dictate whether you come back in time to start at Cornell.

Anyhow, the cAMP starts Aug 18, the boat tour is the 21st and white coat is the 22nd as far as I know. I think Somewhere2010 had posted these dates earlier on in this thread.

i'm there for you, bluejay! i'm sure there will be plenty of shopaholics in our class willing to spend our post-1pm freedom on 5th ave!

random: so what are everyone's summer plans? i'm moving back home to rural illinois for july and half of august...i'll mostly be living for free and not having to cook for myself, which i'm very much looking forward too! :)

oh, as for dates, rebs is right, and urban starts august 20.

Rebs said:
Welcome aboard Akaz and Blueray!

So Akaz, what kind of lab did you find? I think being able to do research at Rockefeller is an awesome opportunity. Whats weird is that even though Cornell has the Tri-I affiliations, the USNews report doesn't count the money of Rockefeller and Sloan-Kettering. Even though we are able to work in those labs I think technically they are separate entities from Cornell. Anyhow I digress, congrats again to both of you.

And to Blueray, I'm really happy you're in since we both had to go thru the same tough decision, but I think we absolutely made the right one.
Yeah, it is weird. They do that to Stanford too. Harvard puts their name. Joint Harvard-MIT Broad

Rebs: I bought tickets assuming I'd go to another med school, but then went with Cornell. But my tickets now conflict with both Cornell orientations. Does that make sense?

2010: How did you find out the dates about the white coat ceremony and the boat ride? I had been told during revisit by Liliana Montano that if I arrived Monday afternoon (the 21st) I would miss the white coat ceremony, as they were planning to do both the white coat ceremony and the boat ride on the same day.

Yeah, rebs, we made the right decision, I am sure of it. However, I am still trying to recuperate from the tears from the fam this morning. They are less than impressed with my decision, but I know they'll come around.

On a lighter note :)
I am staying in central/northern california this summer to make some money before the big move. I am hoping to be in NYC around the beginning of August so I will have time to check it out. Anyone else coming early?

somewhere2010 said:
random: so what are everyone's summer plans?
Teaching, teaching, teaching. Trying to off-set the hundreds of thousands of dollars of debt I'll be accruing in the near future (thanks again, Financial Aid Office!). I'll be teaching a course at City College to try to help adults from low income communities break into careers in lab science. I'll be an online TA for a couple of Masters courses at a School of Education in NYC. And I may even suck it up and teach some SAT prep. In my free time I'll be travelling back and forth to the East Coast no fewer than 3 times (weddings, funerals, family commitments) before settling in NYC for the fall.

I can't wait for medical school to start so I'll finally have a chance to relax. Just give me that white coat and a couch.

Haha, my fam thought i was crazy too. But we're independent and ****:p

blueray83 said:
Yeah, rebs, we made the right decision, I am sure of it. However, I am still trying to recuperate from the tears from the fam this morning. They are less than impressed with my decision, but I know they'll come around.

I am staying in central/northern california this summer to make some money before the big move. I am hoping to be in NYC around the beginning of August so I will have time to check it out. Anyone else coming early?

blueray83 said:

Yeah when I told my Mom, sister, and grandmother on Mother's Day (sounds mean but it was the day before decision day - May 14), their immediate reaction was that they all started crying. You really wonder if you're making the right decicion when your whole family becomes so upset by the idea of leaving the west coast.

However, now that a couple of weeks have passed things seem to be getting better. My Mom does call me almost everyday now, and wants me to come home every weekend but she is slowly coming around. Now they are pushing for the whole coming home for residency bit. Thats still the plan, but I'm excited about being there in New York and learning about new people and a new way of life for the next 4 years. I actually just bought them plane tickets for white coat ceremony, and I think they'll enjoy their first trip to NYC. Anyhow good luck with the whole family bit, I know its tough.

Rebs said:
Yeah when I told my Mom, sister, and grandmother on Mother's Day (sounds mean but it was the day before decision day - May 14), their immediate reaction was that they all started crying. You really wonder if you're making the right decicion when your whole family becomes so upset by the idea of leaving the west coast.

However, now that a couple of weeks have passed things seem to be getting better. My Mom does call me almost everyday now, and wants me to come home every weekend but she is slowly coming around. Now they are pushing for the whole coming home for residency bit. Thats still the plan, but I'm excited about being there in New York and learning about new people and a new way of life for the next 4 years. I actually just bought them plane tickets for white coat ceremony, and I think they'll enjoy their first trip to NYC. Anyhow good luck with the whole family bit, I know its tough.

It is normal. My mother did it too when I moved away. They adapt. They are just family. That is what families do. Then my mother liked Boston. First, she was how can you do this to me. It all worked out.

For my parents it was the same deal but in reverse order. My mom was very excited at first, but after a couple days, the excitment wore off and she asking me how often I plan to come back.

As for the summer, Im planning to take in as much of the California sun as possible. Im in Socal right now visiting friends, it's gonna be a whole week of beaches for me!

Any of you guys get a laptop for medschool? I never owned one in my life, but I decided to shell out the big bucks and get a IBM (actually LENOVO now) Thinkpad T60. I love how industrial and business like those things look. No non-sense aesthetics, just light and functional.

blueray83 said:

My parents are the same way. It's hard; they wanted and expected me to come back to CA after 6 years on the east coast. Also, they don't really know much about east coast schools, or how great Cornell is. Their proudest moment was when I got into Davis because it's pretty close to home. But I'm certain this was the right decision...I just try not to look back too much...anyway, I know they'll adapt, and I'm looking forward to having them visit NYC for the first time.

I want to be in NYC by August 10th. Olin will be occupied, so I'll need to look into staying with a friend.

macadamia, i emailed montano a couple weeks ago asking about dates, and that's what she told me - boat ride monday, white coat tuesday. maybe they changed it?

on a different note, i didn't realize just how hard this all was for the california kids! then again, it's the way my parents reacted when i told them i wanted to go to california for school, so it makes sense! lucky for them, stanford wanted nothing to do with me ;) mine were subtly pushing for me to go to michigan though, because my dad is an alum and it's *only* 6 hours from home vs. 13-ish to NYC. really, how often were they going to visit me either way? it's just the idea of being closer i guess...but i really do want to go cali for residency!

There is absolutely no comparison betwen NYC and Palo Alto. Palo Alto is in the middle of nowhere so to speak, tucked into its little bubble. Its an hour from San Fran and about 45 min from San Jose. Nonetheless an awesome school, but I think NYC will afford a much more dynamic med school experience.

Plus I've got the SoCal bias, and all the people in NorCal say "hella" (maybe you know what I'm talking about). No offense to all you NorCal people, but if you bring that word to NYC we'll have to work on getting rid of that. Although I'm sure you probably have qualms with your neighbors to the south as well. Anyways I have no idea where I was going with this, since pretty soon I will be leaving my Cali ties and start talking like a Soprano.